Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
To make a long story short: we support legacy software that, uh, would not win any speed and performance competitions. Every station runs a copy it and they mostly all communicate by reading/writing to the same files in a simple windows shared folder. 2 stations are fine, but at 5 it's already wobbly. A client wants 10 stations working high frequency.

I can already see the catastrophe happening. Would there be a elegant way of showing it that isn't requisitioning 10 workstations and wiring them all together? Can I simulate that network using something like AWS or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
What kind of gear do you have to work with onsite? It looks like qemu has bandwidth limiters from a quick search, so if you have a server with enough resources you could probably just spin up 10 client VMs + a server VM on a common virtual network and limit them all to 1G at the VM level.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

You should be able to do network rate limiting on a few different virtualization platforms. I know for a fact that Proxmox (which uses QEMU under the hood) allows you to set a rate limit in MB/s on each virtual NIC attached to a VM.

Emulated NICs like the E1000 are hard-capped at 1Gbps because they're emulating a hardware NIC at that speed. The downside is that your realized speed after emulation overhead could be considerably less, like 500Mbps. Paravirtualized NICs can go well beyond that and are limited by CPU throughput, so that's where rate limiting would come in handy.

If your goal is to actually sustain 1Gbps from each client, a paravirtualized NIC with a rate limit will do fine. Otherwise, if you're only looking to emulate a 1Gbps connection but not necessarily max it out, just set up a bunch of VMs with emulated 1Gbps cards.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I'll try the latter first. As long as it's close enough to what would happen with real hardware.

Thank you both for the answers. I haven't done any IT-ish stuff in over a decade.