Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

TheMcD posted:

Huh, that is bizarre. Why is the Germany music from the arcade version playing in Japan in the CD version? Did they change up the BGMs just for the gently caress of it or something?

The track from this video is the one that keeps the CD version from being a slam dunk superior OST to me. The loving General MIDI instrument #54 doots are just too distracting to me.

Somehow I never noticed until just now that they're swapped. Somehow :confused:

I guess they somehow mixed it up in production when they moved USA to first on the list for the CD version. Internally, Japan's track is 08 while Germany's is 10, so some sort of goof happened.

I think the vocal doots are hilarious personally (I'm a weirdo who actually likes A cappella), but will agree that the original arcade fits much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

hell of a run there!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Odd Wilson posted:

The News's Report: Spinner Defies Expectation in Japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCSLX67xB7U

Difficulty 8, Final Score: +3

It must've been a real bad day for the poor sap in 32th.

Hell of a run right here, a real rollercoaster.

There's not a lot to say about Spinner, being a jack of all trades and all. With no specialty, he merely gets the job done. And in the end, it seems that's all we needed.

I feel like I've done good enough with the golfer dads now, so it's off to Lee Trevino's FIGHTING GOLF next. I may return to this in the future, but I've got other games to try out. You should look up the NeoGeoCD version of Germany's music though, it's a bop.

I'm rather impressed. A little more luck and you'd probably end at least -3.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Alright, one more for this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAxpg9CXb9s

We finish out our round at Pebble Beach and find ourselves preemptively cut. In that I'm pretty sure security is going to threaten to cut us if we don't get out.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Holidays have got me behind on LP work, haven't had the chance to record or look at my SSLPs, so let's call a short break until the start of the new year. Need to build up a backlog again.

Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf -> Jack Nicklaus's Greatest 18 -> Wii Sports Resort -> ??? is what I'm looking at to follow up with. I don't have that many golf games under my belt, Neo Turf's kinda the main one.

From there, we'll see. As long as the workflow is going cleanly, these don't take too long and don't strain my hands much which is nice. I've got an idea for another casual VLP to do following this one, but that'll be a little while off.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Well, I still have 5 videos of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005 backlogged, so I'll just keep posting those once a week. Still not sure what's on the slate after that, I'll think of something.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Time for a new game!

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005 is a game that came out for a bunch of platforms, but we're playing on the GameCube.

quote:

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005 is a sports video game developed by EA Redwood Shores for the GameCube, Xbox and PlayStation 2 versions, Headgate Studios for the Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X versions, Sensory Sweep Studios for the Nintendo DS version and EA Canada for the PlayStation Portable version and published by EA Sports for GameCube, Microsoft Windows, Xbox, PlayStation 2, Nintendo DS, PlayStation Portable and Mac OS X. An N-Gage version was planned but never released.[1]

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005 received "generally favorable" reviews on all platforms except the PC version, which received "universal acclaim" and the DS version, which received "mixed or average" reviews, according to video game review aggregator Metacritic.[40][41][42][43][44][45]

Somehow, this is literally the entire text on Wikipedia about this game. It's kinda crazy. Anyway, this game is notable for having a bunch of crazy characters, and we're going to want to use quite a few of them, so oldskool and I will be playing a total of five rounds of golf in this game, going through 9 holes each time.

For the first video, we take the front nine on Emerald Dragon, a custom built Japanese golf course. Once again, technical issues rear their head because of my incompetence, but they don't take too long to figure out, and at least I don't lose the entire audio track this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RspXXjF1nn8

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqWrQU-JGsI

We are now taking on the second half of Emerald Dragon, and things don't go much better than before, particularly since I decided to crank the course settings from "moderate" to "rear end in a top hat". We get wet. Quite a bit.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

golfing in a midnight storm would do that

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
My short break in my golfing career could've gone a lot better. No time or space to record, and not a moment to consider the fine, traditional art of putting ball in hole. Certifiably heavy rough.

But even if Player 1 had a bad day, we can follow up our advantage with hope.

The least I can do is actually manage my thread, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005 added to the main post!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnhBPmYujA4

We return to Pebble Beach, this time with significantly worse weather. Also, we have significantly nicer graphics and significantly worse swings.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

i continue to be infuriated by your ability to just chip in while i helplessly flail around

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

oldskool posted:

i continue to be infuriated by your ability to just chip in while i helplessly flail around

I suck at chipping in. My friend, however, is somehow able to do it no problem despite almost never playing golf games.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Psycho Knight posted:

I suck at chipping in. My friend, however, is somehow able to do it no problem despite almost never playing golf games.

Chip in used to be the thing I was good at in Neo Turf, to the point I liked to sometimes just not be on the green for the chance at it.

No idea where those skills went, although not aiming does make it hard to chip in.

I have recorded Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf, otherwise known as kinda NES Turf Masters, first of two videos will be out in a few days

i did not expect both courses to be a combined hour and a half or so

i did not expect it to be as painful as it was

Anyways, I did find something more fun and also unusual to follow it up with, so I've got that on the radar.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Dipping all the way back to 1988, Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf (known as just "Fighting Golf" in Japan) for the NES and Famicom is probably SNK's first golfing game and a distant ancestor of Neo Turf Masters.

NES Trev Masters, if you will.

The game features only two 18 hole courses, 4 golfers of varying stats, and not a large soundtrack, but remains a surprisingly quality game. As expected for a game personally endorsed by a big name golfer like Craig Stadler. It's not Craig Stadler though, it's Lee Trevino.

It's also quite difficult, as is to be expected. I've also never really played it before so this'll be a disaster without aiming!

First up is the USA.

Attempt 1, Pretty Amy, Final Score: +44

...it couldve gone better

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 8, 2023

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

amy, something something aim-y

someone else finish the joke thanks

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

And now, it's time for the back nine of Pebble Beach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i0NgwN18RE

This video involves a heart attack.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Wow, what a performance! Chosuke truly is a modern golfing legend.

Japan is stunned. No Aimy is shocked.

Attempt 1, Miracle Chosuke, Final Score: +46

Absolutely amazing.

Anyways, our little short? trip to Neo Turf's ancestry is over, and now we prepare for something really unique.

We move beyond just golf, and even just this world for the next adventure in no aiming. It's a game rather uniquely suited to this challenge...

TheMcD posted:

And now, it's time for the back nine of Pebble Beach.

This video involves a heart attack.

Gotta say, this game has some real bops in its soundtrack

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 14, 2023

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

One more for the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6MdBhK5ctA

We needed a tiebreaker, and so we take Justin Timberlake and Justin Timberlake's Cool Golf OC Do Not Steal to Paradise Cove and play in the sand for all the marbles.

Now I actually need to figure out what other games would be interesting to do. I had a lot of time to do that and just... didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

TheMcD posted:

One more for the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6MdBhK5ctA

We needed a tiebreaker, and so we take Justin Timberlake and Justin Timberlake's Cool Golf OC Do Not Steal to Paradise Cove and play in the sand for all the marbles.

Now I actually need to figure out what other games would be interesting to do. I had a lot of time to do that and just... didn't.

I had something lined up, but I'm either not sure about my initial recording or my interest is just waning on it at the moment because I got to playing some other stuff. It's a good game, I'll just need to think about it for a bit as it's a longer commitment of an LP than the previous games I've done for this megathread.