Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Randalor posted:

So at what time do Americans either declare Democracy has died, or fallen into another attempted insurrection, depending on how many seats fall R or D tonight?

This is what I am interested in. I am really curious how the GOP will react if/when they lose. Will we get a repeat of Jan 6th? Will it be more localized? Will nothing happen and we witness the last dying wet fart?

Normally I shun reality TV, but this has me interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Zamujasa posted:

I feel like even looking at that poo poo is something the average person doesn't do any more. Here in Henderson NV our mailbox has literally been overflowing with political garbage, to the degree that the communal mail recycle bin is also overflowing with political garbage. The local subreddit has several posts of people also decrying how much garbage there is.

And that's before I look at my phone, which has been buzzing about once a half hour with even more bullshit.

My experience has been the opposite this year.

My phone is auto sorting the political texts into spam. I have received no phone calls this cycle (last year it was constant). We were getting a weekly flyer each for one of the Republican candidates, and then maybe a total of 3 more. Last weekend was the "worse" with about 12 total flyers. It's almost like they gave up on my neighborhood.

My wife, on the other hand, is getting SLAMMED by requests for polls, texts, emails, calls, etc. She has made it very clear that certain parties will not get her vote.

Anecdotally, our neighborhood has far fewer political signs this cycle. Last election I estimated roughly 25% of the neighborhood openly supported the Republicans. This cycle I have seen 3 houses total. I'm not sure if that means support has dried up or if people are just ashamed to openly support their chosen candidate.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Notahippie posted:

Apparently a shitload of the voting machines in Maricopa County in AZ have broken, which is about the most ideal breeding grounds for election denialism that I can think of. So Arizona might get spicy soon.

I KNEW they were going to have a problem in AZ. I've been hearing lots of stolen election this, secure the votes that, out of AZ the past few months.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

He was polling like 10% behind Abbott as of a few days ago IIRC so I wouldn’t bet the mortgage payment on this one.

That was also a self reporting poll. Strangely enough, Abbott and company haven't really released anything that can be considered both accurate and earth shattering.

Beto's camp has shown numerous polls with them near margin of error of Abbott. But they are stressing that they need help.

I have a feeling the polls are off, this might be closer than Beto/Cruz. I am still expecting Abbott to win, regardless of my preference.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Discussion Quorum posted:

I moved to a new neighborhood this year. I expected it to be fairly Trumpy, although perhaps not new-build exurb levels of Trumpy. And yeah, there's a fair few signs that say "Tired of crime? Elect Republican judges" (Harris County GOP judges ate poo poo 2 years ago over bail reform)

What I was not expecting: there are a lot of Beto signs. Way more than I remember seeing last time around. Definitely more than you would expect for a joke meme candidate.

I don't think he'll win but after the winter storm and Uvalde a lot more people seem comfortable publicly supporting him. I hope the Democrats are investing in a deeper platform here and not just trying to fund raise off abahahaha I couldn't keep a straight face.

I think he'll do better than he did against Cruz. Thing is though, nobody likes Cruz. I have met literally one person in my entire life who is a Ted Cruz fan. That person was in Florida.

I am in the same neighborhood for almost 8 years now. I am seeing the same shift you have perceived. Either people are ashamed of having an Abbott sign or support is lower than they are letting on. This is in Williamson County, not exactly the bastion of liberalism.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Election adjacent.

What is everyone's thoughts on fleeing a state due to election results? I'm really torn on this.

On one hand, I get it. You want to live somewhere that has laws/politics that you agree with. On the other hand, isn't that just giving the opposition more power and screwing the people that didn't get out?

It feels like the GOP has figured this out. Just look at all the whack jobs that show up at school board meetings and the like. They seem to stay in the liberal areas and manage to amplify their message. (One of these guys managed to get into a local school board to our surprise)

On the flip side, it is always left leaning people/spaces I see declaring they are leaving for greener pastures.

Why is this? Am I just noticing another version of doomsaying?

Also, yes, I understand that some are simply fleeing due to specific policies (usually abortion and/or pot). Those people tend to be very quiet about their reasons for leaving though and don't "broadcast" it as much.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

That Works posted:

I think part of it is confirmation bias. I live in Rhode Island one of the "bluest" states in the country. Our state passed some pretty lovely gun laws that probably will not survive in the current courts (good imo as they are not really laws that do much to actually address gun crime. The R's in state have been using that to drive their turnout, "vote the gun grabbers out" etc. This morning the wailing of them online is mostly about them making plans to flee the state (New Hampshire seems to be their preferred destination for a dozen or so who mention it).

Meanwhile my rural district who has had a state rep for years who is an antivaxxer / antimasker and who marched in J6 and the next day tweeted that all of the violence was due to BLM and Antifa activists only just lost his seat by 4 votes. This was due to the state party not really pushing for him and for a 3rd party independent running on a general pro-cop, pro2A platform who took 600 votes. Without the 3rd party a full blown trumper/antivaxxer/J6 dude would have easily won re election. The local school board got swept by R candidates who all ran on a platform roughly stating that critical race theory being taught in our local school system was making the kids gay/trans etc and the other standard-fare vile R state senator won her reelection.

I guess the point I am making is that even in deeply blue states there is a lot of bullshit and the R's who aren't getting their way are also always verbally threatening to leave for Maine, NH, Florida or other "redder" pastures.

Fun fact, my little red district overwhelmingly voted to allow a marijuana dispensary to be zoned for in the town despite leaning very hard R on all other position votes. I am sad to wonder just how much help the Dems could have gotten if Biden had descheduled MJ ahead of the mid-terms.

I wonder also about the decision not to deschedule earlier.

Thanks for the perspective from a different area. I wonder how much is being amplified due to an echo chamber effect.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Mustang posted:

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". Do whatever will make you happy. I'm originally from the South and escaping to WA was easily the greatest thing to ever happen to me. Personally, unless you have really strong ties to a location I don't understand making yourself miserable out of some sort of moral obligation.

I moved a lot as a kid, mostly around various Southern states and I never felt "home" in any of them. I wouldn't trade being surrounded by people that have similar values and beliefs for anything.

I'm all for doing what is best for you and yours. Absolutely be happy in life.

These people are... different... They seem to be positioning themselves as some kind of martyr, forced to leave the state because the election was lost. These same people would tout the line of "the GOP are fascists and must be fought by any means!"

I'm having a hard time reconciling the "martyrdom" with the "we must fight to the end" messages coming from the same person/people. I guess I just found a sad/overly dramatic corner of the internet today.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Got my first GA runoff fundraising email.

Took them long enough

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

facialimpediment posted:

The first seriously solid analysis I've seen in the Boebert race and what is still out there:

https://twitter.com/geoffreyvs/status/1590439200033497089?t=xlDoWPtco53LXBY5ZNXFbw&s=19

At least we are establishing upper limits of insanity.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

That Works posted:

MTG won and Walker is in a dead heat runoff... I want you to be right but I cant agree yet.

I didn't say where that line was, just that there seems to be a line.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

That Works posted:

Seems like victim blaming tbh.

Maybe they should be focused more on how a mentally compromised person lacking any reasonable education can force a runoff with their chosen candidate instead of blaming millennials?

Easier to simply blame an entire generation than to address the institutional issues of our country.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is also true. Something like 200-300k people moved to Florida in the past few years and they're overwhelmingly republican while younger people are fleeing FL in droves, but not to the same extent.

It seems that Texas also replaced their Covid dead GOP voters with people moving in. It also seems like they are being "pushed" into the country, all the GOP people I know moved out of the suburbs into the country.

For all the "don't California my Texas" talk, you would think actual liberals were moving here and not Musk fanboys.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

psydude posted:

Liberals moving to Texas seem to be heavily concentrated in Dallas/Houston/Austin, so just further packing themselves into gerrymandered blue districts.

They are spilling out of those districts now. My county is supposed to be very red/safe for the GOP. I believe that all the hard core supporters sold in my neighborhood during the bubble and are now pushed into more rural districts. Some of the local news stations were mentioning that it looks like some of the new districts were drawn wrong, creating tighter races than expected. There was no way the GOP would have been able to account for the housing bubble and how it changed demographics.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Torrannor posted:

Didn't Beto win "native" Texans the last time he ran for Senate there?

That was said. I don't know if it is true or not. Polling in Texas is strange at best.

I was very surprised that Uvalde county went hard red, they were sounding like they might flip but didn't. I guess the county had a "silent majority" that was fine with a school full of brown kids getting shot up.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Pine Cone Jones posted:

How many more votes left to count?

Google is saying 98% reporting, Boebert with 159,029 and Frisch with 158,235.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

The audio wasn't syncing up with the video, so I thought this clip fake at first. After finding no less than a dozen videos with him saying the same thing, I am confused.

I was under the assumption that we verified cognitive activity in some way before allowing people to run. I now assume that that benchmark is, "can the candidate remember to breathe without too much mental strain."