Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think the OP lists the Zealot's passive for the Ogryn? IIRC his is that everyone takes a bit less damage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just by ear, I thought the guard commander who briefs you is Kruber.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Regarding Sisters of Battle in Dark Tide, and for folks not so up on the more recent miniatures, there's now something called "novitiates", which are Sisters in training (of all types, not just battle), and they fight in guard equivalent gear, custom flak armor, auto guns, conventional swords, etc. This is also why "every marine is a rifleman" in the Soritas; every hospitalier or Diplomat has spent time in the field, even if it didn't end up being their ultimate area of specialization.

I'd say the bigger barrier for their inclusion is just that they're so similar to the existing zealot.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Saying "Soritas wouldn't be prisoners" doesn't really hold water to me, not because I disagree but because I don't think FatShark are going to be concerned with contradicting their narrative with DLC classes.

Witchhunters and Priests of Sigmar aren't the same thing, let alone Grail Knights; when it comes to DLC the narrative takes a back seat because by then you've already internalized the "truth" of what's going on and you can entertain little asides.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
They're going to have to nerf the las pistol + sword combination into the ground for me not to take it, because my brain hates the time lost switching weapons.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You're going to fight and kill a Chaos space marine and anyone who thinks that's a rediculous proposition has been reading too many bad Horus Heresy novels.

The most powerful effect the space marines have going for them in the boarding action short film is plot armor.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So I played Zealot in the last beta and I made another last night and uh does anyone else think the active ability might be a little bugged?

Sometimes it restored all of my toughness, sometimes half of it, sometimes all of it. I mean maybe this was just me taking massive damage at the same time and the UI was poorly conveying that, but after I saw it a few times I started really focusing on my toughness bar while charging and it didn't act the way I expected.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What, if anything, does damage directly to health?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Orv posted:

CM on Discord confirmed it was nerfed to 50% of toughness on Zealot ability. Wasn't updated in time.

Thanks, and this is a good example of how you can doubt yourself, I was pretty sure it was restoring half but when I made the post I was like "eh, in the heat of battle I maybe saw it do a lot of things".

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Have I missed any major effort posts on Darktide tips and strategies? I have a lot of general questions:

What's the best way to deal with a pox hound? Shove? Dodge? Shoot? I've been caught more than once because they went straight past a closer team mate to charge me and I wasn't really planning on having to juke them myself.

Do we have a list of when the head ISN'T a weak point and what, in those circumstances, is?

Do blocks only work on front attacks?

Does dodging have iframes? Does it only apply go melee?

When does the game have Friendly Fire? Does it hit toughness or health?

It saves your place on partial reloads but you can't cancel out of, say, racking the bolt, is that right?

Say I'm stuck behind some low cover with no toughness and las gun enemies are firing at me. How do I best get out of there? Wait for my toughness to recharge from coherency? Take out my own gun and pin them? Relatedly, is there a reliable way to rapidly close the last couple meters on an enemy that's about to shoot me? Do some melee weapons charge forward more in their moveset?

Does anyone have any map specific tips on where and how to perform certain set pieces? How about the one where you raid the train for pick ups you bring to a shipping container?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My big complaint with the weapons stats is that THIS sword has Explosion, Explosion, Spearpoint and THAT sword has Spearpoint, Arrow, Explosion, and now I will make an informed decision about which will beat compliment my play style buy one at random and see if I like it. If it's crap oops, please carry me team.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I looked this up just now:https://gameplay.tips/guides/warhammer-40000-darktide-displayed-attack-icons-guide.html

See! There's one knife icon for "you will butt stroke for a shove" and ANOTHER knife icon for an actual bayonet. And as far as I could tell last night I couldn't mouse over the icons and just read a tool tip. Ugh.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My beta experience was that the axe does great heavy attack damage on single targets but doesn't control hordes well enough, the sword does great light attacks that control hordes but can't do enough damage to chain axe men, and the shovel is a happy medium and also has a very nice swing rythmn that reminded me of Vermintides hammer.

That's from a difficultly 2 casual though, so grain of salt.

Fishstick posted:

If you like picking off specials in V2 playing a Vet in this game is like a constant dopamine drip.

This is what's going to drive me to play Veteran I think; I cannot STAND seeing a special and having to rely on team mates to kill it. I'm shooting my gun way too often as Zealot because there's a guy! And there! And another over there!!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Right the Imperium basically had skynet happen millennia ago and their response is to make everything that would normally be an IoT device today be a person.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah if you smash together Dune and Judge Dread you're a long way to "wut is dark tide", especially if you mostly knew 40k as the game with the space marines.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd love to play a 40k game where you're a non Imperium human world/system and the Imperium is just as much a villain as the other races. The newly reimagined Voltan may do this very well, too.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Look, if you really want to show the lasgun ammo the way you do, FatShark, just make it a percentage of total charge because it's driving me nuts. I know about the ~lore~, I know about the variable las settings - this loving 30/300 number is not diagetic, it's a ui element completely divorced from my character's understanding of the gun, and driving me fuckin nuts to see it take 3 "shots" away every time I fire.

Edit - broadly speaking, what does a las pistol have that a las gun doesn't? Better hip fire? Faster draw?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

DeathSandwich posted:

All of the above. Draws faster, better hip fire, way way faster reload in exchange for worse ADS and sway. It's actually a pretty legit standoff weapon for zealot.

Fuuuck, you should be a mechanicus sales rep.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Kaddish posted:

Being stuck with the same 4 maps another week/until launch is real bad.

Probably better to just not play until release; you don't want to burn out. I'm going to get on again only if my friends are queueing up.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You can't control what your team mates do, you can only adjust to compensate. If your team mate wades into combat every single time, focus on killing flankers and the rear. They're clearly signing on to solo both the pox walkers and the specials, let em.

Actually, can an ogryn stand BEHIND a crouching human and still protect them in melee?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
"I solo da entire horde", says the Ogryn, knocking down a half dozen pox walkers with a charge.

"I'm da biggest!", Shouts the Ogryn, as his teammates follow behind him and kill the five enemies he charged but did not kill, because charge does not kill the enemies it knocks down.

"I'm da best!", the Ogryn calls over his shoulder, oblivious.

(Seeing an Ogryn charge through a legitimate wall of pox walkers IS one of Darktide's better spectacles.)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So can you you grind up weapons for components now?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I see that there are guns of different rarities, and I see that there are bar graphs that say "this gun has more or less damage relative to other guns of its type", but what does the item score mean? Is a gun you like going to become obsolete purely because it's too low level?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

BombiTheZombie posted:

Usually this happens because some veteran decides hes gonna be a "sniper" and tries shooting the boss instead of getting stuck in. The bosses ranged weapons hurt way more than their melee, and all it takes for him to whip his gun out is someone shooting at em!

Yes im salty about lovely veteran players still

Yeah I'm playing veteran currently and I strongly agree with this; The bosses melee attacks are much less dangerous because dodging them is fairly trivial. I've seen the boss wipe a team with grenade launcher (maybe a bolt gun? Surprisingly similar weapons).

I still like to shoot him because if I save my ability for when the shield breaks I can pile on the DPS, but if he's shooting at us and no one else is forcing him into melee I'll be the one to do it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
As a veteran I'll say that sometimes it's quite hard for me to visually see what I'm shooting, or need to be shooting l. So if you see a sniper, ping them. I'd love to shoot snipers but sometimes three pox walkers and some fore are between me and them and I can kind of tell there's one over there, but not so well that my first rounds will be on target.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

fadam posted:

What talent spread are you guys doing on Vet? Im doing 1-1-1-3-3-1. I’m certain the 20% bonus damage from range is pointless but I couldn’t tell if the reload speed buff was being applied for the other one that tier.

I'm only level 8 so could you please tell me, does the level 10 grenade refill work for just me or the whole team?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Just know when it says "on enemy kill" it means "on elite enemy kill" so it'll only start to be noticeable on higher difficulties when they throw taggable enemies at you constantly.

I was talking about the "refill a grenade every minute" one, but good tip on the other one, that refills on a percentage chance on (elite!) Kill.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
One position is you, half out the hatch, with a sword, and whoever is in that spot has special voice lines about wanting to get closer.

The Ogryn works the same as any other characters in the tank, he just has a throwaway complaint about being cramped and then it never comes up again.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I used to have a big chunky ak pattern auto gun in one of my Imperial Guard / Necromunda miniatures. I'd GIS an example but I'm getting nothing but modern day third party stuff, this was from I guess 90's era bits.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So the full game is out now? Are there colorful, vibrant maps they were hiding in the betas?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok, cool, that's probably good enough, nice.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Also, chucking lots of grenades at the dude helps a ton because it's a low mental bandwidth way to deal with all of his trash. I find he's easiest when three things happen:

Grenades deal with the trash so everyone can focus on him.
Someone gets him to engage in melee while:
Other people pour indiscriminate fire into his buble, trading accuracy for DPS.

Like, even as a Zealot I'd shoot the buble because the DPS on auto guns and pistols is pretty high when you're only limited by your literal rate of fire. And then you can save your Zealot Charge or Marksman Mark for when the buble pops.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I was super glad to have multiple voices per class but now I think they should have just said "seven voices, all distinct characters". It'd only be two more than vermin tide has and yeah the cracks are already real thin on this on Oblivion-rear end dialogue.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Does anyone else find something about the game's... responsiveness? Off? I don't know if its networking and I'm rubber banding a little, or if my 3060 laptop is struggling to keep frame rate even on my very low settings, or if I'm just bad and I'm getting mentally overloaded when playing, but I'm having a fundamental problem where I'm getting hit in melee when I don't really expect to be, I'm missing shots I feel like I should hit, and my movement is never as fast or as immediate as I'd like; fundamentally I can't tell if it's the game, or me, or if it's even the same thing every time, but the long and the short of it is I'm not actually having much fun and I'm only still playing because all my friends are. Is this happening to anyone else?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Well apparently the literal devs said as much but I do not believe them.

To expand on this, while the strength of a space marine varies within various depictions of the fiction, in all of them where they're not the heroes and are granted the protection of narrative necessity, a single chaos space marine is not more dangerous than the contents of the average set piece.

Whether your talking 40k in any edition, or Kill Team, or the Fantasy Flight games, a single chaos space marine isn't more dangerous than a hundred pox walkers, a dozen las gun guardsmen, a couple bullgryns, etc etc.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 6, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I know I'm complaing but I love the presentation and aesthetics of the game. The rough edges are starting to feel pretty rough though.

I've come to the realization that I wish this game's visual aesthetic, sound track and general mechanics/ gunplay had been applied to something more like a Bethesda fallout game.

"Another hab block needs your help, prisoner."

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Literally all they'd have to do is REFRESH them once a week but let me work on them as long as necessary.

I was half way done with three of them after a weekend and that's as good as it'll ever be for me because I play probably less than ten or twelve matches a week.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is the corruption of Grimoires a static number or a percentage, because lol if it's the former!

Oh, I guess it doesn't matter either way, they're still the class with the least health right?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cease to Hope posted:

The answer is always that it didn't show up on test or it showed up under circumstances that didn't allow for fixing it before lock. It's goofy but it is a cosmetic bug with a user workaround.

One of the Apex devs remarked recently that an hour of live server time in the general population is equal to a year of QA; it's just a matter of scale.

Any tips for someone that's generally played and enjoyed every major CO-OP shooter sine the original l4d, and loves 40k, but just can't seem to get this game to click? It seems like I'm always having problems:

I take lots of damage in melee combat.
I don't enjoy juggling melee and ranged, it feels like I always want the other one out and I hate the down time of swapping and reloading.
I can't keep track of what's happening in big fights, there's always a special behind emptying their mag into my back while I'm fighting a single pox walker.

Seriously, something's either wrong with this game on my PC or just wrong with me - every second that I play it it just feels bad. Dropped frames, laggy input responses. The steam overlay assures me I'm getting a solid 70FPS on low, with every single setting cranked down, but when I'm playing this game I constantly feel like my PC is broken.

I'm assembling a 40k army in anticipation of 10nth and I'm re-reading the Eisenhorn trilogy. This was one of my most anticipated games of the year and the very instant I hop back into it I think "Oh right, this game sucks for some reason, gently caress". I want to like this game but it's like all my friends are playing a different, better version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm on a 3060 and liked melee fine in both Vermintides. I'm going to try Zealot, I think Veteran may have been the wrong choice for me mechanically, my favorite class in Vermintide was Kruger, especially with the two handed hammer.