Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Been playing only Ogryn and while I haven't had a chance to get high level yet still been having a blast of a time.

To chip in to Grenade Gauntlet chat: It's the single target early weapon option. You don't use it for hordes, it's supposed to be used to kill that one rear end in a top hat special or knockdown an ogryn sized enemy. The AOE explosion is just bonus CC the softens up smaller stuff at the same time. You use your melee for hordes usually anyway, as you have a huge swing and deal loads of damage. Also if you have a competent Veteran congrats on never running out of ammo even using it liberally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I mean we're playing a closed beta stress test and balance check essentially, the patch notes even have a section that literally states this.

The devs limiting map selection to stress test certain levels and identify maps with glaring issues to fix before removing them because no one can complete them due to crashing kinda feels par for the course.

Fingers crossed on launch the variety and stability of maps goes way up so that the beta wasn't done in vain.

On the content of the notes side, I'm interested in how Bleed stacking will do now that the various classes will interact together and hopefully make it effective. As an Ogryn messing around in the Meat Grinder pre-patch, your first bleed talent was incredibly underwhelming, and literally could not stack it's effects, just reset them. Now that it might actually stack with itself and also Vet+Zealot stuff, might be good for bigger targets.

Also lol at the Eviscerator being bugged to only do 50% damage before the patch regardless of stat rolls.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

thebardyspoon posted:

If that's in response to what I wrote, read it again? I'm saying it's fair enough for now cause yeah it's a beta but for release it'll still be annoying if we can't actively select our missions ourselves and have to rely on an arbitrary and changing schedule. In addition to that, even if it does work "fine" I still don't really see what it adds that a regular level select doesn't have?

Sorry, it's not a direct response to you, just the general feeling I've seen here some and a lot on other places.

I agree in terms of how mission select is done, and DRG is right over there showing you how mission select is done right. Offer a different selection of missions and maps, and let the player select the difficulty. Seems like a solved issue even with the differences in gameplay and progression.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ChickenHeart posted:

watching a fleeing grenadier get walloped by a crate of grenades traveling at supersonic speeds, sending him somersaulting over a guardrail, remains my favorite moment in this game.

Playing with goons, I (an Ogryn) and another goon also playing Ogryn both spotted a Crusher at the same time. Cue two grenade cases colliding with it's skull at the exact same time.

A thing of beauty. :allears:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

whoa whoa whoa, hold up-

Ogryn: Grenade cluster bomb talent now triggers on Resistant and Armored too

I tested this in the Psykanarium and this means any enemy with flak armor and any Ogryn. Don't have level 30 yet so can't test bosses but now this talent is really good?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

toasterwarrior posted:

A lot better now, especially since you also get two grenade boxes as Ogryn too. If the spilled frags also caused bleed then I'd even accept them returning it back to 1 grenade box max.

they don't, but since you can now proc it on crowds of scab shooters it's pretty drat good. You can proc it on anything with flak or carapace, and any ogryn body shot but not a Reaper head shot. I'm unsure if it works on Plague Ogryns or BoNs, haven't had a chance to test it on them yet.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Mordja posted:

Wish you were a servitor.

that's hosed up to say

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

wedgie deliverer posted:

Is there another way to get loot besides waiting for the shop to update, because that feels real bad right now and is my biggest complaint with the game after stability.

You can get loot drops from doing missions, anecdotally it feels more likely to happen if there's a secondary objective like Scriptures or Grimoires and you fully complete it.

I've gotten both a purple ogryn cleaver and a yellow curio from random drops, but also a chunk of blues and whites so ymmv.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

In the 41st millennium, there are still catgirl lovers.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/517738683856846850/1045404213758394548/Weebhammer_40k.mp4

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I have been really enjoying playing, but man Endless Hordes needs to go. It's the only modifier rn and it just makes Malice completely unfun.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

drrockso20 posted:

Ogryns and Ratlings are the most common types of Abhuman and pretty much the only ones that ever get miniatures(well before they reintroduced Squats in their new form) but it's always been canon that other types exist, including ones that are basically just 40k versions of Fantasy Beastmen

I'm well aware, I follow a pair of warhammer nerds and Felinids have been brought up by them a few times as very silly things.

I just was uh, not expecting a reference to them in Darktide of all things lol.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Diephoon posted:

Sure doesn't feel like it. I have to wait a noticably longer time between dodges with dagger now. Did they buff the distance/iframes or something? All I know is it doesn't feel useful for scooting around now but that's what they want I suppose.

Their goal I believe was to stop endless dodge kiting, so to compensate for making it a longer cd between dodges they improved the dodges on the "agile" weapons, and Zealot in general.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

almost like they don't want to show their full story before the official launch day.

Naw, couldn't be.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Orv posted:

I love that most people have adopted the assassination boss strategy of curb stomping a man and basically ignoring the adds until he's dead.

tbf I think if a sniper or multiple disables spawn you need one person at least to break and kill them, probably two. We had double sniper at the start of one fight and just got wiped.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

While I've only played Ogryn the whole beta so far, the only thing I want out of a Vet is the grenade back on elite kill % chance. Especially now that the grenade box feat is actually good on top of two grenades. You delete anything that isn't a Crusher (carapace armor :argh: ) and yes that includes Plague Ogryns and BoNs.

Haven't tested it any on 4 or 5 difficulty but the grenades that drop out will kill any chaff in the radius, and you deal about 75% of a PO or BoN with two boxes. They're pretty fantastic.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm only level 8 so could you please tell me, does the level 10 grenade refill work for just me or the whole team?

It's the whole team.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Kaddish posted:

Not for us lonely psykers. :(

There's no "I" is psyker now is there. :colbert:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

S.J. posted:

Sorry if this had been answered, does anyone know what the "defences" stat for the chain axe actually does?

My presumption, as the Defences stat is also on the Ogryn shield, is that it costs way less to block stamina wise compared to other weapons. Anecdotally I can block for way, way longer with a shield than any other Ogryn weapon, though I haven't had a chance to use the billy club much past the early levels.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

BombiTheZombie posted:

Just had a mission where our team was wiped out instantly in the second room of the mission by a beast of nurgle bursting through the wall and knocking us into an instakill pit.

No warning, no music, just a slug kool-aid manning through a wall and instantly killing the entire team.

cool.

That sounds kind of amazing?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

OGS-Remix posted:

Do Curios stack? I'm using two plus Stamina ones and I don't seem to be getting extra bars. I guess it's better to get all separate bonuses.

+ stamina doesn't actually give you extra bars, it just makes the bars there more efficient

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 26, 2022

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Power level is a combination of the amount of stats distributed between the bars, and any perks and blessings add to the power total as well.

So theoretically you could have an early white that just has better base stats than a blue you picked up, but generally speaking if you're at least 2 levels up from when you picked up a weapon anything you find is gonna be an upgrade, especially if it's the exact same weapon type.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Having just hit 30 on Ogryn as the only class I've played in the beta, ranged weapon choices seem straightforward.

Grenade Gauntlet: Tired of armored targets and those pesky specials getting ignored by your teammates as they blast you? Grenade them. Bonus points if you like the bleed talent and just want to murder single targets high hp up close without having to use any actual grenades. Also using a high level one the higher bars of Blast Radius really let you CC entire groups of ranged minions at a distance with a single nade, it's fantastic.

Heavy Stubber: so you want to clear hordes and gun patrols? Here's your dakka, way more efficient at range than the ripper, and even just 2 bullets clipping Dredge shooters will gib them, with a couple more needed for Scabs. Has a long rear end reload to go with its huge rear end mag size, but tbh I'm not sure what others say about it being ammo inefficient, I've pretty much never run out of bullets. Not worth shooting Crushers with ever though, and the special attack might as well not exist.

Ripper: tbh I think this is a good intermediate gun till you get the heavy stubber if you want horde clear and to evaporate gun patrols asit sort of does both jobs of the weapons above in different, slightly less effective ways. Way less ammo efficient than the stubber but arguably comparable in terms of horde clearing but you won't be doing it nearly as far or for extended periods. Fine to suppress gun patrols with but you aren't gonna be clearing them out if they're 20m out or more, don't expect any significant kills till you get closer. You can't whip it out quite as often for literally every horde like you can with the stubber, but it's much better at killing high health targets and the special attack (especially with a unique blessing later on that gives it Rending) is great for apply bleed with the relevant feat on high health, high armor targets. If you want to be able to hold your own against gun patrols though, go with the stubber. Still think it's a good intermediate role between the above weapons.

Thumper: I need to buy one to try, haven't had a chance. Looks like a lot of fun and still pretty effective.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

terrorist ambulance posted:

What melee weapons are you using

The cleaver that's the horde clear version. Let's you do your melee job (horde clearing) with incredible ease, and the heavy attacks are fine for dealing with meatier targets. The special attack uppercut is also perfect for chain staggering Ragers, Maulers and Crushers, but especially Crushers since in melee you main job is to keep them occupied while someone with armor piercing does actual damage.

I've tried the shield and it is really nice for approaching gun patrols, tanking snipers and reviving people (hold block while you revive someone!), It's pretty mediocre at horde clearing and only passable for bigger targets.

I'm trying out a max level billy club now to see how it feels after the buffs.

Disclaimer I've not really had a chance to push difficulty 4 at all. Most of this is done at difficulty 3.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 26, 2022

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Phlegmish posted:

I've started using the cleaver, yeah. It seems pretty good, I'm now one-shotting the basic grunts, but that could also be because I went from a rating of 130 to 200.

e: Heavy Stubber seems less useful at long range than I was hoping, there's a lot of recoil

You should def just be tap firing at long ranges, and make sure you're bracing the gun while doing it. Even targets with flak armor don't take that many bullets and it's easy to aim for heads.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Insert name here posted:

It absolutely does give more bars:

baseline

+2 stamina

+4 stamina

+6 stamina

Pretty sure it's like Vermintide where each "shield/bar" represents two stamina each.

Oh huh, Ogryn's start with so many more bars base it's honestly hard to tell. Maybe it caps? I'll need to test it out with curious in the Meat Grinder I guess, I had no idea other classes only started with 3 stamina bars.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Cease to Hope posted:

I play Ogryn pretty much exclusively, and this is based on my experience with 4*. I haven't tried 5 yet at all, but I do feel comfortable doing 4s in pugs at this point. I've also tested weapons in the psykanium a bunch; any specific claims about worse or better damage are based on psykanium testing against 4* and 5* enemies.

I feel like the main thing an Ogryn brings to the team is handling hordes. You're either the player on point, taking pressure for the team, or else you're focused on peeling enemies off of players who are overwhelmed. In a single mission, you're probably doing both, rotating back and forth. Your biggest specialty is being the guy who sees a mass of enemies and can plan to move into them, rather than giving ground and chipping at them as they advance. (This can be a trap, but it's good to have the option.)

I feel like heavy melee combos are a trap as you go up in difficulty. Even if they're more damage on paper and regenerate your toughness, they're lower overall uptime on staggering enemies, so you need to push more. So the enemies live longer, get more chances to sneak into a gap in your rotation, and it takes longer to move through a pack. Even with infinite toughness regeneration, you can't be taking melee damage all the time or you'll just die. There are ways to make heavies work, but I find they involve more opportunity to screw up and less damage overall.

My main melee weapon is the Bull Butcher Mk III Cleaver, the knife with a handguard and a blade that looks like a meat cleaver. (Butcher knife for short.) The attack rotation I use is light spam, since it's two broad horizontal swipes and one diagonal one. (For situations where heavies are advantageous for whatever reason, light-heavy-repeat is wide sweeps, with the heavy having a lot of stagger that pushes enemies to my right side.) This weapon and combo has exceptional cleave; while I can't prove it quantitatively, it feels the best plowing into a mass of both scab melee dudes or plain poxwalker zombies. It is, as far as I can tell, one of the best cleaving melee weapons in the entire game. It also has (AFAICT) best-in-class-for-ogryn damage on unarmored and unyielding (unarmored elite/boss, like dreg ragers) enemies while still having acceptable damage on flak armor. Between its stagger and its killing power, this weapon can handle a mass of horde enemies without needing to push except in situations where I explicitly need to make space to maneuver. Thus, its damage is better than even raw numbers might imply.

It isn't perfect. The push attack (block-hold attack, not the regular just push) is an unusably bad uppercut, it underpeforms on single targets with flak armor (mainly ragers), its heavy attacks are just serviceable, and your only option to deal with Crushers and Bulwarks from most angles is heavy attack spam. Light attack spam also doesn't usually chop dudes in half.

When I am dealing with a pack that contains only horde enemies, I'm spamming light attack and constantly dodging laterally, aiming to move to the edge of the mass and angle myself so I'm pushing enemies into the center of the mass. Ideally, if the party is at 6 o'clock and the pack is on the clock's axis, I want to be constantly positioning myself at 4 or 8 so I'm blocking less fire. Obviously this isn't possible in tight quarters but it's the ideal. I always want to be checking my back on the fourth or fifth swing, unless I know for a fact I'm against a wall or that someone has my back. (Nobody ever has your back.) Specials all get handled the same basic way as trash once you catch them, although a charged heavy is often handy against the dog or mutant.

When it comes to elites, Maulers can largely be handled the same way as horde trash. The main consideration is making sure that I dodge their overheads (because they generally will not be staggered out of the animation), and that I have room to dodge their overheads. A mauler or two in a pack of trash is not significantly harder than a lone mauler or a pack of pure trash. Shotgunners aren't hard to deal with as long as I'm hitting them continuously until they are dead.

What is dangerous are Ragers. Ragers exist chiefly to poo poo on this all-offense playstyle, and must be pushed and poked. Against multiple ragers, I am chiefly concerned with keeping them in the stagger from pushes and marking them for my team to help. It's possible to just tank the damage from ragers if you absolutely have to have them dead right now, but it's not wise. If ragers are in a pack of trash, I'm focused on pushing them and making space with them, while killing the rest of the pack. You can stagger loop a rager if you open with a charged heavy then land your next one just as the animation runs out, but the timing is touchy. I generally use my ult if ragers have to die right now, since they do die pretty quickly once they're on the ground.

Crushers and Bulwarks are a problem. Crushers are basically immune to the Butcher knife's light melee, and Bulwarks are only vulnerable to it in a narrow window directly behind them (or directly in front when they are stuck in animations and not blocking). Both of them are chipped down by heavy melee, which is mostly a last-resort option. Ogryn ult and grenade will stagger both of them (from all angles!), and some of the Ogryn ranged weapons can handle them, but really you're hoping literally any other class is on the ball and ready to handle them.

Reapers and Gunners largely aren't a problem as long as you can lay hands on them. Obviously, this is a challenge. I usually open with a heavy on reapers since their wristbands will deflect light attacks occasionally, but they really aren't so much of a threat at melee range that they need A Strategy. The main challenge is that you can't just bull rush them without your ult or intervening cover. Mainly I try to mark them and get out of their LOS or suppress them with my shooting, but really I'm relying on the group to be on the ball. If they're not on the ball, I hope they don't mind picking me up!

The Brute-Brainer Mk III Shovel slots into this playstyle just fine. It performs better against flak armor, slightly worse against unyielding flesh, and feels like it has worse cleave. It performs slightly better against carapace armor (which is still pretty badly), and has a cool push attack that's a wide swipe that pushes staggered enemies to your right side. The differences are so small that when I had a nicer shovel than butcher knife, I used the shovel. It even uses the same combos, although when you want to murder a single target, its heavy attack combo is better.

---

There is a separate playstyle for the Slab Shield. The slab shield has mostly inferior damage compared to any other option, and its attacks are slow and it seems to slow your movement. It has two main advantages to make up for that.

You can block shooting enemies in your forward arc in complete safety until your stamina runs out. This includes enemies with annoying knockback, like gunners, reapers, snipers, and both kinds of flamer. You can approach them in complete safety, or simply serve as mobile cover. As long as you're watching the angles and making sure you don't run out of stamina, you can even herd horde enemies with pushes (but not push attacks) while still blocking incoming fire. Note that the shield is not helpful if you're standing in a hazard, like fire or ooze, and it doesn't block any sort of explosion as far as I can tell. Enemies will generally stay fixated on you even though they're shooting your shield, and it's great for situations where cover is nonexistent or faraway. You always have the option to put the shield down and hope the rest of the team can handle things for you.

It also has a shitload of stagger. The heavy attacks have terrible damage but do a ton of stagger. The first attack sends enemies staggered forward, while the followup sends them to your left. The light melee is your main hordeclear tool, and does okay damage (AFAICT inferior to the shovel or butcher knife but better than most other weapons or other classes' weapons), and also has quite a bit of stagger. Light melee is also your main tool for killing single targets, and at best is only as good as the butcher knife but worse than the shovel (against flak) and worse than pretty much anything on unyielding. It's the only ogryn weapon that can actually damage carapace armor with light attacks, outperforming most other weapons' heavy spam by a large margin but not enough to clear crushers quickly.

Why don't I use it much? Ogryn ult can put you on top of most shooters immediately if that's where you need to be, and if that's where you need to be it's probably where you need to be right now. You will take some damage on the approach, but it's all toughness damage, and your ult is probably refilling your toughness somewhat anyway. I don't feel like being worse at your specialty of clearing hordes of dudes is worth being able to stand in a bad position and just get shot in safety. I don't think it's the wrong way to play, just a bad tradeoff overall.

---

What melee weapons don't I use at all? The "Brunt Special" Mk1 Bully Club really need to use a heavy-light rotation to clear trash, and I don't use that for the reasons I mentioned with the butcher knife. The pure light combo seems to have a dead space immediately in front of the Ogryn below the horizontal swings, which is only hit by the third swing in the combo. It requires more thinking constantly about the timing and order and placement of your attacks, but this isn't rewarded in any way. It's at best only about as good as the butcher knife for clearing hordes or tough unyielding enemies, and does worse damage than the shovel (albeit better stagger) on flak-armored enemies. If I had a really, really nice club, maybe I'd use that over the butcher knife and the shovel, but probably not.

The Krourk Mk VI Cleaver (which has a handguard and a chipped, curved blade) is oriented around heavy attack hordeclear, and uses light attacks to damage single targets except for carapace armor. I don't like heavies for hordes and the single-target damage is not great.

The Krourk Mk IV Cleaver (a stainless steel bowie knife with a grooved blade and with no handguard) looks extremely cool but just sucks. Both of its combos are mainly single-target strikes, but it's only about as good as the shovel or club for single-target damage. You're giving up almost all of your ability to clear hordes in return for nothing.

=====

When it comes to ranged weapons, ogryns have a high-level meta and a low-level meta.

The high-level meta for ogryn ranged weapons is suppression, either forcing enemies into cover or simply knocking them down. You are not a veteran nor are you a psyker. Outside of about 20-25m, your ability to quickly kill things with any weapon is fairly limited, so you want to get ranged enemies to stop attacking, with killing enemies out of cover or melee enemies approaching you as a largely secondary concern.

The heavy stubber is the most conventional option, and never the wrong choice. If you open up with the heavy stubber in the direction that enemy fire is coming from, you will stop them from shooting until you run out of bullets. This is reasonably effective at pretty much any range except for snipers at extreme range. You may not kill them; in fact, you probably will not unless you catch them out of cover or luck into headshots. But trash riflemen will all dash for cover and hide, while elites and specials will either take a ton of damage or get locked into stagger animations.

The staggers can actually be a problem when it comes to killing elites; gunners sprawled on their rear end aren't shooting but they're kind of a pain to actually hit. It also has a fairly long reload animation, during which time you're neither suppressing enemies nor running towards them. (You can walk but running interrupts reloads.) It has weaknesses but I do like the heavy stubber as the only ranged weapon in your arsenal that can be counted on to win a fight with a reaper one-on-one.

The Lorenz Mk VI Rumbler (which I erroneously called the Thumper in previous posts) is a single-shot grenade launcher that shoots the grenade like a bullet. It is a combination of a slug shotgun and a grenade launcher, and to get the most out of it you need to be taking advantage of both the impact damage and the explosion damage. For the impact damage, if you can place your shots, it has projectile drop but no damage dropoff, so you can bodyshot snipers from up to about 40m away (and depending on your gear, it will kill on 4*, and kill if the explosion also hits on 5*.) It also doesn't require you to stand out in the open and open up; you can dip in and out of cover as you take your potshots. It won't one-shot most other specials, though, even if the explosion lands perfectly on them.

This is the only explosive ogryn weapon where the explosions matter. The explosion does about 90% of the impact damage at the epicenter, then has significant damage dropoff. (The randomness of the grenade bounce means that the primary target may take an additional 25-90% of impact damage from the explosion.) Both the impact and the explosion have enough stagger to slow a horde or interrupt most elites, but not stop a poxburster or dog mid-pounce.

Speaking of which, the main disadvantage is that it can't really kill things right now unless it can one-shot them or catch them in the explosion. In particular, you'll need to headshot poxbursters to kill them in time, and its monstrosity damage is very underwhelming unless you have the blessing that makes your grenades stick to monstrosities. (And even then, it's not impressive.)

The Grenadier Gauntlet is better thought of as a revolver than a grenade launcher. All of the damage is concentrated in the initial target, with extreme falloff. (We're talking like 5-10 damage dealt to an enemy immediately adjacent.) The AOE is almost all stagger, which is helpful for knocking enemies down and stopping them from attacking, but generally it can only kill one target at a time. It is, IMO, strictly worse than the Rumbler for any application other than killing a specific target very quickly, like a poxburster or hound. The melee attacks are serviceable, better than most bayonets or pistol whips, but not something you'd use to kill anything but a single straggler enemy. The melee exposion is funny but does less damage than shooting the gun, so it's strictly a meme thing. This gun was great at lower levels but largely falls off as you need more than one or two shots to deal with a special or elite.

The ripper gun was great while leveling but the heavy stubber is basically the same gun with more range and better ammo efficiency. (There are different versions of the ripper gun but the only major difference is whether it shoots one shot or two on a snapshot.) The Knockback newbie shotgun is not useful for anything except at low levels.

=====

Feats! Ogryn feats are mostly low-impact on your actual playstyle. With a couple of exceptions (mainly Bullfighter and Non-Stop Violence), you can pick them at random and largely not notice worse performance overall.

tl;dr: I use 1-1/2-3-2/3-3-3.

At Tier 1, I find 1 (Lynchpin) is the best choice in general, since you can't ever hope to tank and outheal damage at 4* and higher no matter how you build. Regenning faster between fights and while taking cover is just more value. 2 (Smash 'Em Good) is a decent alternative since there are often stragglers to whack for a power up, and you can weave a heavy overhead in if you need a quick pickup, but it's not as good with the shield or Mk VI knife. 3 (Best Form of Defense) is only useful if you're spamming heavies, and you can't actually control the circumstances where it's useful as well.

Tier 2 is 1 (Heavyweight) for most situations. 2 has been buffed a lot, and now triggers on enemies with flak armor as well. Your grenade can be counted on to delete specials and elites that aren't ogryns and is your best bet against ogryn, and adding the grenades means you don't get behind on waveclear while doing so. Still, ogryns are everywhere at high levels, and reducing damage from them is a gamechanger. 3 is not great; the main enemies that live long enough to give you any benefit from this are ogryn and ragers.

Tier 3 is 3. No question. This is a ton of refresh for your ult, and the main things you want to ult on are elites anyway! 2 is negligible and 1 is a patch on playing badly.

Tier 4 is very disappointing overall. 2 (Hard as Nails) can help you clutch but probably not enough to save a bad situation, and 3 (Die Hard) is some regen but too unreliable to be very useful. 1 (Bloodthirst) looks amazing but isn't very good because even if you are spamming heavies, most things die too fast for you to benefit very much! It might be better in a party built around bleeds, but I don't know from personal experience.

Tier 5 is 3 (Raging Bull). It's just more damage all the time, and rewards cleaving through enemies, something you should be trying to do all the time. 1 (Payback Time) rewards you for playing badly, and 2 (Knife Through Butter) is useless since fully charging attacks takes forever.

Tier 6 is 3 (Non-Stop Violence). It's a toughness refresh, and can be a lot of toughness. (Don't get greedy and run into the middle of packs, though; either clip the edge or plan to go all the way through.) 2 (Unstoppable) is only good for doing your cosmetic penances and 1 (Bull Gore) is an enabler for Bloodthirst but I feel like it's still going to contribute less than Non-Stop Violence.

=====

BTW the main stat to look for on curios is +1 wound. More health and more toughness are nice too but yeah you're gonna go down at high levels, and reducing the amount of corruption it gives you is very strong.

This genuinely solidifies my thoughts on the feats and weapons Ogryn get as well. Only a couple of actually interesting ones, even fewer actually strong choices and the rest are gimmicks or trash. Sad to hear the grenade gauntlet falls off but it does kinda make sense.

I feel like paired with a Vet that has the grenade return % chance per elite killed is probably the best synergy for Ogryn by far of you want to take the grenade case explodes feat but man the fact it's on an entire separate class just sucks.

I dunno, Ogryn is hella fun and will probably be my main but fatshark need to do some work to make the feats more interesting so there's some better play styles within the class.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Did end up testing out stamina in the Meat Grinder and wow, it does increase the number of bars! Ogryn just has so many base it's hard to tell, I honestly would not have known human classes only had 3 bars base till I finally decided to play one lol.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

No, item power def goes over 400. Grab any blue level 30 weapon around power level 380 and check out the Tech priest, taking it up to purple will immediately put it past 400.

Also just rolled a non-ogryn class to level and wow y'all are small af. How do you even deal with this. Yes I made myself a maximum shorty too okay don't judge me.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Insert name here posted:

It's per weapon, so the knife and tomahawk both have 3 bars baseline, while for example the shovel and power sword have 5 baseline IIRC.

I know certain weapons give bonuses to stamina (it's listed on the info card!) but even base Ogryn def have more stamina bars. I've really noticed a difference trying to block and shove as a puny human.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

A friendly reminder as to why Muties will instantly throw you if they shove you into a wall. One goon was not so lucky....

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/517738683856846850/1046504045902299156/Ammo_Dispensing_Servitor.mp4

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So, would advise against taking any trinket with grimoire corruption resistance, I think it is doing the opposite effect because the one friend in the group who had it for a couple runs would just speedrun the corruption down to 1 hp while we barely had 1 bar corrupted.

I have not had this experience at all with a grimoire corruption resistance trinket on my Ogryn. It had a noticeable affect on how much initial corruption it hit me with, and I'm always way less affected by the trickle corruption.

Was your friend always the grimoire carrier while wearing the trinket? Cause I've def watched a friend speed run it down as well without any kind of corruption resistance while they were the active carrier.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ciaphas posted:

is sprinting of any benefit at 0 stamina?

yeah, there absolutely is at least just moving over a certain distance faster. I was always confused early on why other goons would be way far ahead of me sprinting away cause I didn't know you could keep sprinting at 0 stamina.

Makes even more sense knowing that humans have less base stamina than ogryns too.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

*inter squad banter between the Vet and the Psyker about really wanting some time off*

Ogryn: "Sounds very nice. Probably will not happen."

Alternatively, one of the combat barks for killing a Poxburster-

"KABOOM! hurrhurrhurr."

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

big cummers ONLY posted:

Which voice calls the Ogryn "sweet brute"? That's what I'm taking to 30 next when the game is back up

female psyker, dreamer maybe? It's funny since all she's met is with extreme caution during the revive. The other two voices don't fit though I don't think I've gotten to hear all the female psyker variations yet.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Anti-Hero posted:

For folks who played the game in the pre-order window:

Is there a toggle to see party member account names rather than the character names?

It was sort of jarring playing the closed beta with my buddies and remembering that the Psyker was Goon A, the Orgryn was Goon B, etc. because it displayed all of our character names we hit the random generator button for.

No, not as far as I'm aware.

Also smh at hitting random for the name, I never would have a chance to come up with Evil-Oniyn for my Ogryn which just works on so many levels. Or layers. Heh.

edit:

Orv posted:

Cosmetically it does, hit boxes are standardized.

Has this been confirmed officially somewhere? Because anecdotally I have absolutely gotten away with hiding behind some shorter pieces of cover as my shorty Vet, and can head glitch some taller pieces of cover as my tallboy Ogryn. Especially noticeable since I can fire through the cover even though my gun is stuck in it, and snipers trying to fire back only hit the cover piece I'm in since they aim for center mass.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 30, 2022

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

BrotherJayne posted:

Is the PoV adjusted, though?

Definitely, yes lol. I feel real heckin' short as the shorty Vet.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Dogg wtf did they do to my beautiful ogryn voice

it seems to be a bug for only whoever is playing the Ogryn. I have the same issue, but the other ogryn in my group sounded fine to me but also had the same issue for themselves.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Diephoon posted:

Word on the discord street is that toughness over 100 is multiplying the damage you take :allears:

:aloom:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Orv posted:

Also got confirmation for whoever was asking that height does effect hit box now.

Heckin' knew it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Unsurprisingly, the Floorgyn is not particularly effective of a strategy.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/517738683856846850/1048018982973751378/Floorgryn.mp4