Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I didn't expect to like the veteran because shootguns seem boring by comparison and I'm one of those grogs who prefers the more punishing melee combat of v1, but it was neat to play a guy who has a clearly defined job that's important for the team. Like Psyker but more for hitting the riflemen and fragile elites.

That said, yeah, too many of them and while I support the thing allowing more than one of a class, veteran is gonna make that a shitshow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

CODChimera posted:

eventually if you stick with the game you'll just play any/every class you want to yeah?

i know there's gear but its nowhere near as time consuming as an mmo...i hope...

Look at this guy who doesn't have a friend group with one or more people who declare a class theirs forever.

(I know you can double on stuff, but realistically, you probably don't want two Psykers, etc.)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Each class and gender for that class has multiple possible voices. (Ogryns are only males.)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Are there still crashes/disconnects anyone is having or observing others having? I had a great time in the last beta, but my friends were crashing a lot and I don't want to preorder if that's still a problem.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It feels pretty bad on maps with lots of blind corners and tight corridors, in L4D you could at least bully the boomers and shove them away before exploding them at a safe distance, I don't think you can do the same here but I haven't tried running towards the bomb man yet.

Every Ogryn on my team has tried it, successfully putting their body between the burster and my gun so that we *both* get to blow up.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Omi no Kami posted:

I've been loving playing as Ogryn, but since I play with randoms I'm thinking that Zealot might be an idiot-friendlier alternative. It drives me nuts how frequently I'll find a perfect choke point, call out a horde, then watch helplessly as my teammates rush into it piecemeal instead of waiting 10 seconds for it funnel towards my guy's quasi-invincible rear end so they can blast it apart without putting anyone at risk.

Zealot really does seem like the most idiot-proof class, in that you can dispatch hordes, not rely on just coherency to keep your toughness up, and can carry a rifle or similar when your special-killers inevitably fail to do their job.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Darktide hasn't yet nerfed itself to V2 levels where my friend who has literally never figured out charge attacks, shoves, dodges, etc. can audibly "click-click-click-click-click" his way through high difficulty missions. It still wants you to understand certain basic concepts and mechanics, and it takes a certain kind of grog to internalize that -- especially if you haven't played a Tide game before.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Orv posted:

The rando mind: This room has like forty ranged enemies in it, no cover and is a drop down room, while we have good cover up here before the drop down. Hell yeah let's go.

Was that right before the autoscheduler fight in the marketplace?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So the Marksman penance for four weak-spot hits with no misses during your F ability? Uh... insanely trivial because it counts against Beast of Nurgle.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Okay so assassination, strike, raid, investigation, repair, what are the other two? I've apparently done all seven types on my account, but my Ogryn is missing just one, which I assume is currently out of rotation.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What are Terrors? I need to finish Purgator 4 and 5 for "Cleanse the Taint" (lol).

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

With steady improvements they should be able to get it down to 10-20 by launch.

Not a big deal but this game might take longer to load than any game I've played in the last five years or so. There must be a crazy amount of assets in the citadel.

Install it on your solid-state if you have one. It's a nightmare on HDD.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So what's the trick to the ogryn's "charge 75m" penance? Take the long-charge talent and hope your boys kill enough elites to speed up Bullfighter?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm gonna take my ogryn into difficulty 4 and 5 missions. Anything I need to know that's different, like how from 2 to 3, riflemen become dangerous as all hell?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is the Cantrael MG IV lasgun just supposed to be comically weak

I gotta drop so many headshots into guys to see them fall

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Evil Kit posted:

A friendly reminder as to why Muties will instantly throw you if they shove you into a wall. One goon was not so lucky....

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/517738683856846850/1046504045902299156/Ammo_Dispensing_Servitor.mp4

I got knocked off a ledge by a poxhound but I guess falling while disabled by a dog doesn't let me die. A friend killed the dog and I was just walking around in a gap with no way out. Had to alt-f4 and reconnect to replace the bot that can helpfully teleport.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Popete posted:

5th slot should be a Tertium worker just trying to make his way to his next shift without getting killed by an inquisitor or becoming corrupted.

What if the god-emperor was one of us...

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone who uses the Zealot Judge voice is immediately my enemy.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Do we have any idea what the numbered value we gain from penances is going to be, if anything? Like is it a currency?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Weren't we supposed to have new missions cycling in? Need those espionage missions, whatever kind of dreg I'm somehow still missing, etc.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

I think the DPS for some guns is just way too high compared to melee. My Level 30 Zealot with a purple melee weapon does less DPS than my level 12 Veteran with a purple ranged weapon. Even against flak armor. I still love being in melee, my absolute favorite way to play the game, but they definitely have some balancing to do.

On the other side, I had a lasgun that took more than one headshot to kill walkers sometimes. It was horrible.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm 10000% not sold on the Heavy Stubber. In my experience it starts firing too slow, it's best at killing things at a range Ogryn is already effective at, and the slow ready time makes it terrible at on-demand special deleting.

Team Rumbler.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

The Stubber causes massive amounts of suppression and stagger at whatever you're firing at, so you can basically stop an entire firing line of gunners, shotgunners, flamers, and gun grunts from firing while you and your team picks them apart.
It's probably one of the best high-difficulty weapons for Ogryn imo.

Maybe if I have a regular group of four I'll give it another go, but anything that relies on my team to be competent is a big no for me right now.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What's the trick for five kills with the last shot in the mag for Marksman penance? Bolter? Plasma? (I assume it means five with one shot, and not killing one guy with your last shot five times through the mission, but who knows?) Managing plasma's ammo is a bastard and a half and I can only get it down to even numbers rather than 1. Bolter I can get there but not sure what it would take to drop five walkers with one shot.

Also, I keep seeing people talking Ogryn builds/strategy bringing up how one weapon or another automatically counts all strikes as heavy melee attacks. For which weapons is that true, and where is it documented?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

@Kaysette: I think my point still stands.

@Nehru: As to best weapon to use for that feat. I did it with laspistol just shooting myself dry constantly, but easiest would be shotgun or revolver since you can reload those one bullet at a time, cancel the reload, and blow someone away.

Interestingly enough, I got it tonight doing it only once (after having racked up 4 in a previous mission.) It shouldn't carry over but I guess it did. Considering I got Dream Team on a mission where we absolutely had deaths, that's weird.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If everyone in the preorder gets a hat, how am I supposed to flex my already having hats on the previously hatless

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I have previously said that the Zealot Judge is the worst voice in Darktide. This remains true. However I should specify that the female Judge voice is hilarious.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Jimbot posted:

One of the voices has to be the boring straight-man/lady of the group of misfits.

I love a good straight man but this is just a guy trying too hard to be badass.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Jimbot posted:

The female one is funny because it sounds like someone suffering from a debilitating case of social anxiety trying to spit fire.

She sounds like a gamer trying to trash talk, like the way someone might yell "GET hosed" in a silly deep voice in an online game. It's great. I don't know if that was the intention at all, but it's great.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is there some obscure mark variant of a gun somewhere that feels like a better all-arounder for Veteran than the recon lasgun? The one I've got is a decent Call of Duty type rifle and it does acceptable hipfire, mostly acceptable long-range sniping, etc., but I feel like there's got to be something a little less mediocre.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Orv posted:

Could you be a little more specific about what you want? Most people seem to really like the Recon/Accatran types and your other option is the Kantrael patterns which are all semi-auto.

On the Recon front you may want to try a VId pattern which is maximized fire rate for the type.

I'm okay with semi-auto if I click on something and it *dies*. The last lasgun I had couldn't even one-shot a poxboy in the head, and trying to rapidly dump enough damage into a special to kill it made the sights jump.

I guess I want:

One-shots walkers
If it doesn't one-shot specials, it can dump enough ammo quickly and accurately that it's not just "should've taken a Bolter."
Has enough rate-of-fire and/or stability that if I miss a shot, I can quickly adjust and take another.
Either a sight or at least ironsights that are better than the Bolter or the FAMAS-style handle on the recon lasgun.

edit: Like, I don't need to be able to mow down hordes. I want to be able to quickly and reliably delete specials and riflemen, which to me is every veteran's job.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 30, 2022

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

explosivo posted:

The random name generator gave me Thuddo in the beta and I decided to roll with that because it's pretty much the perfect Ogryn name imo.

It's not really random in the sense of like being able to produce different names from smaller parts. It's just a list of names pre-made for the classes and drawn from a hat. So like there's a Thuddo and a Grug but you'll never see a Gruddo unless the person puts it in themselves.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The "40,000" in "Warhammer 40,000: Darktide" is a reference to your position in the login queue.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Dogg wtf did they do to my beautiful ogryn voice

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Diephoon posted:

Word on the discord street is that toughness over 100 is multiplying the damage you take :allears:

So like.... every Sharpshooter is getting ripped apart?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

After a drat nightmare of a disrupt run that included a solo rescue of everyone captured *twice*.

It's good to be appreciated.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 1, 2022

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Angry_Ed posted:

Speaking of, my DRG-playing friends keep hitting V hoping for a "For the Emperor" shout but no luck :haw:

Gundam Evolution has an "X to 'Nice'" function every time a teammate helps you up, does an objective, gets a total team kill, or you win. It's brilliant.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The penance for 25 successful data interrogations doesn't seem to be progressing for me anymore. Is the action being on a team that finishes a data interrogation event? Placing the data interrogator yourself? Being the person who does the last required repair?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

You click a guy with it and it dies. That's all I ask out of a starting weapon. Miles better than what zealot and psyker start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Man, I finished the espionage mission on Malice with 0 health damage taken and didn't get the penance. Gonna riot.