Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I reset my VT2 account about a month ago in anticipation of Darktide coming. I wanted the experience of building up to max power/completion again. Or at least as complete as I get, as a non-cata person. This meant matchmaking in recruit/veteran because you're locked out of champ and legend by your power level.

It was actually a ton of fun to play with newbies as an experienced player. Instead of going for all the green circles, I held back a lot and let the new people enjoy themselves while protecting against potential wipes. Maybe once a game I would offer a tip but mostly I didn't want to break the prime directive. Everyone was friendly and having a good time, except for one person... an elf. Gardens of Morr finale, I decide not to tell everyone to break chains one at a time because I'm confident I can clutch on veteran without trying very hard. Three of us wait to fight the horde after the first chain while the elf immediately runs off across the room to break other chains. The three of us are fighting a massive group of spawns, from our one chain and the three the elf got to + the group that comes through the exit door, when she goes down. So we're fighting basically every enemy that can spawn during the event and she drops on the other side of the room. Immediately - like, a second after her outline goes red - "Uh, a little help?" Like loving lol. That is classic poo poo that I have not seen since I started. It made me so happy. I wanted to say "you should have died closer to us" but I do not like being toxic, even in retaliation to toxicity

Most of the toxicity I see in VT2 is from people who probably don't know they're being toxic, like elves throwing javelins into your back in an attempt to kill slave rats, or people who have not internalized "look behind you sometimes when you're in the lead and moving forward". I wish FF did a portion of the damage to the instigator. Running ahead, you'll eventually get murdered or disabled. But you can FF like a madman and the game doesn't do poo poo to incentivize you to think, maybe I shouldn't shoot into my team's melee battle.

People never checking behind them is a real problem. I always gravitate toward the role of rearguard in games like this but with new players you really have to let the rats hit them in the back or else they're just going to sprint ahead while you kill stragglers. Then you're a mile behind and they have no idea because they have no incentive to check behind them.

tl;dr I love tide, I want to make goon friends to play it because my friends suck, i love typing huge blocks of text about killin rats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

The finale feels like 80% of the enemies spawn in the first 20 seconds, then if you survive that and kill the monster it's standard waves. Idk. Three of my pugs have died without lighting a torch, my fourth we ignored the torch and just spent 3 minutes clearing all the loving armor out and then we were able to do the objective with small waves like any other objective setpiece.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I went looking and while there is no verification of the original U5 VAs, I did find this reddit post by Fatshark Aqshy (community manager type):

"We haven't released a full cast of every voice in the game except for what you've seen so far, just throwing that out there. Keep your ears open for little treats and such during launch and beyond."

If I were making a wager, I'd say they're being coy about it for hype purposes. At least that seems more likely than just not having any of those VAs back when they are universally beloved by the die-hard playerbase, and paying other VAs to mimic them for some reason.

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 10, 2022

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

To new gaunt readers, if you don't like the first omnibus (I think three books?) It gets real good after that. Book four is when I think the series really starts earning its keep and it rapidly escalates to Very Good Military Fiction. And imo while the first three novels are the weakest, they aren't even BAD, just not as good.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

When someone is chasing green circles to the detriment of the team, i will frequently forget to watch their back for them. Enjoy eating damage from the mobs you left behind! The other players are not here just to clean up stragglers while you get alpha strike on every single ambient spawn.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

Anything I should know about Vermintide 2 difficulties? I have been playing Veteran, about to move onto Champion.

Champ is where you should practice killing specials while still in combat, getting good at looking behind you frequently, and learning the rhythm of attacking, blocking and dodging to clear hordes without being hit. You have a ton of room for mistakes in champ but most of that disappears when you hit legend, so start practicing now

Also it might be rough with the huge influx of new players. I keep getting Legend games with people who haven't even hit 30 yet, which is fine but they also play without fundamentals haha. It is fun in its own way but I have not been getting good chests tonight.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I like the short story, I think really just a vignette, about a Space Marine who spends 15 years on an Ork-controlled planet waging a one-"man" war against the entire planetary population. By himself without any support, killing Orks all the way through until he gets extraction orders to fight to the top of a mountain so he can immediately be shipped off to another decade-long deployment. Very silly but the kind of cool poo poo that makes 40k fun.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Who is Sienna? Zealot, right? I want to be whoever she is. I know it's not official but I'm certain they got everyone back and I refuse to doubt it.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

None of the vt2 VAs are in according to what other goons said. They have people doing impersonations though. The Sienna facsimile is either female psyker 2 or 3.

Source? They are uncredited but when it was brought up on reddit, a community manager said that the entire voice cast has not been announced. I think they are being cheeky.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I'm gonna interpret that as shenanigans and say they are the same VAs. People love them and hiring new people to impersonate them would be such an insane "gently caress you" from a professional standpoint that I don't think they'd do it.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

moosecow333 posted:

One of the ogryn voices is Bardin to a T. If they went out of their way to replace the popular voice actors with people just doing impersonations I would think they would get a ton of backlash. People go crazy for voice actors they love.

This is my thought as well. Plus the post from the community manager on Reddit saying "stay tuned, we haven't revealed EVERYONE teehee".

It would be a lovely thing to snub the U5 VAs especially when they are hugely beloved by the community.. Double lovely to then cast new people to do impersonations of those VAs, but as different characters. That'd be very aggro for no reason

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Siivola posted:

So are you saying they posted a fake VA announcement, or they paid two different actors to record one character's lines, or what?

The VA announcement is real but I think incomplete. Until every voice is accounted for, I'm sticking to my guns on this. If they've already accounted for everyone then I will admit I'm wrong, though I will be very passive aggressive about it

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

My computer is really struggling on low, buts it's like 5 years old or so

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Martout posted:

performance mostly fine but even with a 3080 and a new-ish ryzen I had to turn some of the fancier stuff down, turning off lens flare on all lights made a pretty big cpu difference (just like the blog post said) and I can't say it made much difference visually

If anyone has more tips like this... help. I don't need it to look good but my framerate is straight chunky. Not gonna be able to afford pc upgrades for like... years.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Thanks for the link and tips, I've got the framerate up to "technically playable" which is good enough for me.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I do not like how everyone calls the psyker a freak with so much venom. Just sits with me wrong. Someone's gonna goonsay about how it's lore accurate but I don't care, I want my team to be supportive of each other and it's a bummer when my character is like "hey you loving piece of poo poo FREAK here's some ammo"

It should be funny but there's something about it I don't like. Everything else is fine

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

boredsatellite posted:

sorry but its going to be a rare day for a psyker to not eat poo poo from everyone around him.

Instantly got someone goonsaying the lore accuracy

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Ichabod Tane posted:

Bro what do you want here

I was just posting how I felt and that I didn't care about the lore explanation, so idk why it immediately invited "but the lore!" That's a valid position but I already said I don't care so??? I thought to myself when I was typing "someone is also going to make a boring rear end post with the least charitable interpretation of my point to score an epic dunk" and here we are

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Ichabod Tane posted:

I, too, am posting how I feel about your question and I idc about you wanting a non lore explanation.

I don't want an explanation and I don't understand the hostility towards me over this but you have definitely owned me, good work

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Characters should only be mean to whoever has the kerillian voice

This is all I'm trying to say.

Re: performance, I hosed with my settings more and turning on some acronym setting referred to as "cutting edge" in the tooltip instantly stabilized my framerate. The game looks a lot more blurry but I don't care because the frame stuttering is gone and I feel like I can actually aim my swings and time dodges and poo poo! So if you have a real old system like I do, try that.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

Is there any way to play with bots in Darktide? The people I'm getting in public matchmaking are really, incredibly bad at this game which is the same experience I had with the beta :(

It's incredible how people will never, ever look behind them and barely try to stay together

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

When waving the incense burner over your keyboard and reciting the prayer, was your heart sincere?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Jerkface posted:

I found this game is kind of the opposite of what I'd expect matchmaking wise. I played like 4 games at 2 AM PST and you'd expect that to be really off with horrible loser teammates who do all the no-no things but instead I got matched up with 3 separate squads of high level pros that crushed every mission on malice difficulty. It ruled.

It was the same in verm. Off hours ensures you only play with obsessive weirdos like us

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

this game sucks. i'm going to play it for 500 hours as a joke

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Staves off the crowbcat video for another week

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

95% of pubbies are ignoring shooting specials in favor of shooting unarmed and unarmored mooks. I'm trying to save them ammo!

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

If I'm meleeing a group of normal guys I don't give a gently caress about the sharpshooter's LOS, you don't need to shoot these guys or the next group when we could just chew through them with melee while barely slowing down

Do try to create gaps for your ranged to utilize when there are targets they are best at dealing with, otherwise pick up your shovel and let's go

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

We know why bad play exists, it's still fun to make fun of it. I don't expect my team to be competent but it doesn't mean I'm not laughing at them

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

oh so it wasnt a normal crash that ended my run the entire outage is what happened sorry mysterious stranger.

It's kind of annoying when people want to stand outside the ship to magdump into the final horde but I do get it, that kind of thing is fun. I expect it to stop as the average player gets more experienced.

I think my biggest pet peeve is something that will disappear once I park on difficulty 4/5: people running off to the next pull without checking around them. More than in vermintide, random mooks will scatter to take cover, and I have a lot of games where I'm bringing up the rear and my job becomes finishing all the fights that the other team speedruns past. They are aggroed, they aren't going to stop shooting at us, but pubs will NEVER check to make sure they've cleared an area before running off to get shot in the back.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Do the class auras stack? I bet they don't but I want them to

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Idk the pack master just runs at you and you shoot it. Sneakerat jumps at you and you shoot it. Specials are threatening because you get a small handful all at once during a horde and players start having to make split second decisions on how to handle every threat efficiently. You can only shoot so many but you still need to not get CCed or AOEd down. The simplicity of exploiting predictable AI gets more complicated when you're also fighting a horde and reacting to constant new entrants to the battlefield. I am bad at the games though

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I need to watch some streamers for a little bit to get better. Sometimes it's very clear that I go down because I made a mistake, but other times it just feels like my team is not providing support or targeting the right things. Like if I have a horde locked down as zealot and there's 20 guys out of my range shooting me, and my team isn't occupied, they should be suppressing the shooters, right? I feel like instead 99% of the time they are mag dumping into the horde while I get cut to ribbons because the ranged units have free reign to go ham. Maybe it's my fault for assuming the sharpshooter will even be paying attention to where ranged fire is coming from. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong with my positioning.

I'm assuming the other players are playing little kid soccer but don't they want to use their guns to shoot other gun mans?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

That stuff is true and there are times where I overextend and can only blame myself. But there are other times where I see people have the opportunity to do something correctly and fail.

Really I think it's because they skipped through the tutorial and don't understand the cohesion or suppression mechanics. They're playing call of duty and hey we cleared the mission so we must all be playing right. I've been starting missions with a brief text chat of "kill ranged first, stay close for shield regen". Most people ignore it but a couple of times people have been surprised to learn your shield regen is tied to proximity with your team and those runs go SO smoother when people are cognizant of the incentivization to stick together.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Tiler Kiwi posted:

do not worry about other players. adjust your own play. if you're running solo into a horde, and it kills you, do not do that.

This isn't what I'm doing, the solution I'm thinking of is to wait for ranged to get overwhelmed and then engage because then maybe they'll switch to melee. If I engage in melee and tar pit enemies, my team is either going to continue killing things I'm already killing, or run off to find glory elsewhere. I think I just need to let them take damage.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Apparently the number is the budget for all the poo poo on the weapon, including blessings or traits or whatever. So a lower level white can dlbe better because it has better usage of its budget. I dont know how to evaluate this from the loadout screen with these silly bars

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

Weapon traits (Blessings IIRC) are so much spicier in this one compared to VT, I can imagine some real fun stuff once people get to building their weapons.

I can also imagine the final difficulty being tailored for "perfect" gear. Probably would piss off a lot of more casual players, but eh, I'm fine with design like that as long as there's a tier but great but not perfectly-optimized gear.

In V2 the highest difficulty level does require some amount of care with itemization, spec, and team comp, but I hear it's still puggable if everyone is on their game. At any rate the second-hardest difficulty is extremely forgiving about all that so you can play off-meta and suboptimally. I'm hoping it looks similar in Darktide.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Ok fine but it's not impossible to add weird characters and it's fun to talk about. Its make-believe and they can write whatever "a wizard did it"-style excuse they want for a xenos team member or a chaos space marine boss. It seems like a very weird thing to argue about.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Mendrian posted:

I mean "Kruber is gonna be a grail knight" was a long running rumor a lot of people didn't want to believe because it wouldn't "make sense" and then it turned out to be good and also funny.

Grail knight as fifth darktide character, literally copy pasted from vt2

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Run in circles in place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Yeah that's pretty much what I'm understanding. Just like VT2, don't get hit. But no temp HP means you have much less leeway to make mistakes. It's really making me realize how much I lean on temp HP on VT2.

One thing that helps me is forcing myself to not sprint up to groups of enemies, so I've got stamina for blocking and dodging. Hard to fight that instinct. Two charges of the zealot ult helps.