Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Cymru (Wales) is the giant pig's head on the west coast of the UK with a population of around 3m. Didn't I say Gymru in the title? Yes I did. The Welsh language is very silly and requires incredible amounts of phlegm and ancient Celtic rituals to speak and understand.

English tourists rarely get caught speeding in Wales because all the road signs look like this:

Wales has existed in some form or another for about 30,000 years, roughly half of that time spent failing to qualify for international tournaments. "English" incursion began shortly after the 1066 Battle of Hastings when the Normans conquered England. What we consider Wales today formed around 1485 when the Tudors seized the English throne and united England and Wales under one royal house.

Historically a nation of Gareths, farmers, coal miners, BnB owners and choir singers, if you weren't cut out for those you had to play rugby. Any remaining able bodied Welshmen that lived near Chester played football as an alternative to picking up sheep poo poo from campsites in Rhyl every spring.

The Wales national football team is the third oldest international team and a cofounder of IFAB, the International Football Association Board. Despite this, Wales' standing in international football has been largely as a clown team to clown on by England and Scotland as well as other Bigger Boys in international qualifiers.

A buck to that trend occurred in the late 1950s when Wales qualified for the 1958 World Cup where they reached the quarter finals before being knocked out courtesy of Pele's first international goal. Many speculate the "what if" of that tournament for Wales, had Leeds and Juventus star striker with three first names William John Charles not been out of the match against Brazil with injury.

Unfortunately for Wales that would be their only appearance at a major tournament for 58 years. Welsh football fans longed for a football team as good as their rugby team, eventually they got their wish when the rugby team went to poo poo as well. The football team's revival under Chris Coleman culminating in reaching the semi-finals of Euro 2016 was impressive; just their luck then, that they have of course broken their World Cup qualifying duck at the worst possible tournament, Qatar, where even former Welsh coal miners would think conditions were a bit much.

With a footballing history so bad and poo poo you'd expect them to have never had a decent player since the 1950s and you'd be absolutely correct in that doppelgangers of good top level players would turn up for Wales matches and proceed to play nothing like as well as at their clubs (or always be conveniently injured for Wales matches and this will be my only mention of Ryan Giggs).

Notable Welsh players I can be bothered remembering include:
Ian Rush

A player whose footballing ability was powered entirely by his moustache, Ian Rush is most well known for his time as a Liverpool striker collecting two European Cups and 5 league titles. For Wales he managed 28 goals in 73 caps, none of which came at an international tournament.

Dean Saunders

Another Liverpool connection with Wales, Saunders netted 22 times in 75 appearances for Wales between 1986 and 2001. Saunders was the catalyst for a rules change by IFAB because of this epic manoeuvre:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZFgrW7LrQE

Neville Southall MBE

Man-mountain-cum-Man-continent Neville Southall is a 6 foot (1.8m) diameter sphere that won two league titles with Everton, a European Cup Winners Cup, two FA Cups and for a time was rightly considered one of the best goalkeepers in Europe. On top of all that he is a proper Good Lad Who Means Well, doing lots of work with charities and minorities (see earlier Everton mentions). Admonishing noted dickhead Michael Owen cemented his status as a legend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqOxNspUPyE&t=107s

Gareth Bale

The best player to pull on a Welsh shirt since John Charles, Bale was key in qualification and progress in 2016, 2020 and this upcoming tournament. Now at LA FC in MLS, he boasts 3 La Liga titles, a Copa del Rey, 5 Champions League medals, 3 UEFA Super Cups and 3 FIFA Club World Cups (not to be confused with the actual World Cup).

Other Welsh luminaries include Gary Speed (RIP), Aaron Ramsey and of course Hal Robson Kanu, scorer of this gem against Belgium:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcmFDL3O9Rs

The Kits (phwoar)

Wales will compete in and likely qualify from Group B:

The B stands for Binmen

The 26 Man Squad:
Goalkeepers:
Wayne "Teach me about Hitler" Hennessey (Nottingham Forest), Danny Ward (Leicester City), Adam Davies (Sheffield United)

Defenders:
Connor Roberts (Burnley), Ben Davies (Tottenham Hotspur), Joe Rodon (Rennes on loan), Chris Mepham (Bournemouth), Ethan Ampadu (Spezia on loan), Chris Gunter (AFC Wimbledon), Neco Williams (Nottingham Forest), Ben Cabango (Swansea City), Tom Lockyer (Luton Town)

Midfielders:
Joe Allen (Swansea City), Joe Morell (Portsmouth), Aaron Ramsey (Nice), Dylan Levitt (Dundee United), Jonny Williams (Swindon Town), Matt Smith (MK Dons), Rubin Colwill (Cardiff City), Sorba Thomas (Huddersfield Town), Harry Wilson (Fulham)

Forwards:
Gareth Bale (LAFC), Dan James (Fulham on loan), Brennan Johnson (Nottingham Forest), Kieffer Moore (Bournemouth), Mark Harris (Cardiff City)

Star Players:
Gareth Bale (captain) and Aaron Ramsey, though there should be an asterisk the size of Anglesey* here pointing to their fitness issues.

Wales usually play a 5-2-3 formation with a Ramsey/Allen midfield sitting deep behind a front three of Bale, James, and Another Speed Merchant.

*Anglesey is a Welsh island filled with English people that realised you could buy a house for a fiver in the 90s

Oh and they all shag sheep.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I believe it's pronounced Whales, OP but good attempt :)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Racist thread. Ignored.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I hope Wales do well but don't beat England thanks in advance

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
this is mark hughes erasure!!!

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
mrs ghost has one Welsh grandparent and I have been to Llandudno, Llangollen, the part of Chester FC's ground that's on the Welsh side of the border and somewhere else with a load of consonants in it for a wedding so just call me Sex Ghost Jones

would be nice for one of these lads to score at a world cup

sebzilla posted:

I hope Wales do well but don't beat England thanks in advance

this!!!

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Eau de MacGowan posted:

this is mark hughes erasure!!!

Shadow of himself for Wales, scored fewer than Saunders!

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
my john charles memories largely consist of my grandad, who compared all future leeds players unfavourably to him, patiently explaining to me that despite my assertions to the contrary he was probably on measure better than jimmy floyd hasselbaink

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
was it during the euros wher ethe camera angle showed off bale's bald spot that he uses the top knot to hide?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Wayne Hennessey is 'desperate' to learn about the Nazis, says Roy Hodgson

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Looke posted:

no, the w makes an 'oo' sound, like in "room" and "liverpoo"

ooales

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
OP, you forgot the Bodin Penalty, which has haunted Wales fans since time immemorial (1993) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLVSI6kMXq0

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Wales is bloody lovely

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Gambrinus posted:

OP, you forgot the Bodin Penalty, which has haunted Wales fans since time immemorial (1993) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLVSI6kMXq0

Honestly chief I claimed this because I have a soft spot for the place particularly from my childhood and wanted to do some cheap and obvious jokes in the OP.

I genuinely want Wales to do well and I loving hate Southgateball so Wales doing well at the expense of England would be immensely funny, for me. Especially if they got further.

Also

sassassin posted:

Racist thread. Ignored.

You wound me, I took care to get Gymru right.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Big call from the manager.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/gareth-bale-banned-from-playing-golf-qatar-world-cup-wales-manager-page/blt34520bd89ebe40b3

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Bobby Gould.
0-5 v Georgia
Bobby Gould
1-7 v Holland
Bobby Gould
2-3 v Moldova
Bobby Gould
Losing to Leyton Orient
Bobby Gould fighting John Hartson
4-6 v Turkey
Getting hammered by Tunisia
Bobby Gould doing a racism at Nathan Blake
Bobby Gould bringing himself on in a practice match against Cwmbran
Cheating Russian drug cheats in the 2004 Euro qualifiers.

I can't believe it. The last few years have been like a fever dream. I wish Bellamy was a few years younger.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
OP squad is wrong btw. Tyler Roberts is out with injury. Tom Lockyer included.

Thread's a joke.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Fixed, thanks for the heads up! :thumbsup:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Looke posted:

Erm, close. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz_Q_0Mn3fQ

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Gary Bale just scored an extra time goal to help LAFC clinch the something cup. He’s all amped for this. Look for Wales to top the group.

(They will not)

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Actually they will

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

sassassin fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 10, 2022

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Gambrinus posted:

Bobby Gould.
0-5 v Georgia
Bobby Gould
1-7 v Holland
Bobby Gould
2-3 v Moldova
Bobby Gould
Losing to Leyton Orient
Bobby Gould fighting John Hartson
4-6 v Turkey
Getting hammered by Tunisia
Bobby Gould doing a racism at Nathan Blake
Bobby Gould bringing himself on in a practice match against Cwmbran
Cheating Russian drug cheats in the 2004 Euro qualifiers.

I can't believe it. The last few years have been like a fever dream. I wish Bellamy was a few years younger.

I don't want to make funtime jokes about how Wales also had their manager commit suicide rather than manage Wales, but do remember that's also a thing that actually happened somewhere in there

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I don't want to make funtime jokes about how Wales also had their manager commit suicide rather than manage Wales, but do remember that's also a thing that actually happened somewhere in there

Choke wank gone wrong imo

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Can't loving wait for this. I don't care if Wales end up last in the group with 3 losses, it's amazing just to be there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gonna be waking up the rest of the street with my GWLADs at 5am here when we play against Iran, and it will be a beautiful thing.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I wish this team well, even if I know nothing about them and even spent a moment trying to figure out where in the country Fulham-on-Ioan is.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Welsh is a perfectly fine language. I assume. I don’t speak welsh. gently caress, can you imagine trying to learn that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHxO0UdpoxM

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
Fantastic OP. Shared it with folks here in Kiwiland who roundly appreciated it; though the comment about no good players since the '50s was considered riseable, and inspired many words about something called a "Gary Speed".

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Outstanding OP, thank you

JoeSchmoe
Jul 17, 2003

The World Cup. The one time every four years where I stop watching skate and surf movies and try and understand football. I’ve got friends who are going and I feel for them a bit, cos it’s the first time we’ve been in so long, and of all the ones to go to its Qatar. :-/

It’s a strange experience having a Welsh football team that are somehow relevant but it’s a nice change as I grew up in the age of Ian Rush and Neville Southall.

Anyway - OP was good, but wanted to make sure this was part of the discussion too -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Fag8ZQcz4

Welsh language is a lot of fun.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2PzGk46nfk

Tifo nerds have done a tactical preview for this group and it opens with Cymru

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

JoeSchmoe posted:

It’s a strange experience having a Welsh football team that are somehow relevant but it’s a nice change as I grew up in the age of Ian Rush and Neville Southall.

I was there when we beat Brazil 1-0 at Cardiff Arms Park, I don't care that it was a friendly it felt drat good as a kid that night knowing the legacy of Brazil.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

vyelkin posted:

Wayne Hennessey is 'desperate' to learn about the Nazis, says Roy Hodgson

Still one of the funniest URLs/headlines ever

Also I hope Wales beat Iran, completely bin the US and then lose to England

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Today's conundrum, watch the game on FOX which will naturally have a pro-USA bias, or on iPlayer which will undoubtedly have the commentators and Gary Lineker at half time tripping over themselves to talk about England at every opportunity.

FOX it is.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Today's conundrum, watch the game on FOX which will naturally have a pro-USA bias, or on iPlayer which will undoubtedly have the commentators and Gary Lineker at half time tripping over themselves to talk about England at every opportunity.

FOX it is.

It's on ITV

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hm trying to remember if ITV are as bad for that, I just remember ITVs coverage in general always being dog poo poo over the years but I don't think I've ever seen a Wales game on them. Thanks for the heads up so I'm not sat watching 20 minutes of Cash in the Attic wondering why they haven't started the match.

(That show also might not be on BBC for all I know).

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Quick reminder that it's also on S4C if you can't stand watching football on ITV. Not being able to understand most of it is a small price to pay.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Hm trying to remember if ITV are as bad for that, I just remember ITVs coverage in general always being dog poo poo over the years but I don't think I've ever seen a Wales game on them. Thanks for the heads up so I'm not sat watching 20 minutes of Cash in the Attic wondering why they haven't started the match.

(That show also might not be on BBC for all I know).

ITV's analysis of the Holland game was literally to ask Nigel De Jong if he enjoyed the match and then to show and discuss the England goals from earlier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
it's the time that I remember I'm half Welsh