Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Beautiful rendition of the anthem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Felming stuff to be sure

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That's not good.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dodgy yellow for Bale there.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
S4C commentary keep saying "Americans" which I'm pretty sure is offensive to most people living in the Americas.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t think anyone in the Americas cares about that tbh. It’s a made-up peeve.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Am not enjoying this.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Better from Wales.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
First half looked hosed.

Second half much better.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I'll happily take that point. Wales didn't look great out there Bale and Ramsey underperformed.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bessantj posted:

I'll happily take that point. Wales didn't look great out there Bale and Ramsey underperformed.

Bale had a good game by his modern standards. 89 minutes of dogshit then wins a pen and scores a goal.

Rest the "stars" against Iran imo. We look a much more functional team when we're not carrying passengers. Johnson and DJ on the wings, Levitt or Morrell in midfield.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Could very well be a goal difference thing that decides getting through the group or not though. Can we afford to not try and put as many past them as we can?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Let's go boyos

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s 5am and I’m gonna start yelling out some gwlads like a motherfucker.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
When was the last time Aaron Ramsey wasn't poo poo?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The only thing more disappointing than this Welsh performance is the quality of the BBC website stream.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DickEmery posted:

When was the last time Aaron Ramsey wasn't poo poo?

This song is 9 years old so 9 years ago give or take?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE3zeB-h3NA

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

gently caress.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Dogshit manager. Was utter crap with the u21s as well.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

sassassin posted:

Dogshit manager. Was utter crap with the u21s as well.

Plus he's a bigot, or at the very least doesn't believe in standing up for equal rights

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
:sad:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ah well. To be honest it was nice just to get to the world cup.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

https://twitter.com/OfficialVizeh/status/1596116137007542272?t=doyAgTVapkbSIVjxc-9RmQ&s=19

:yeshaha:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

If we still had Williams...

I'm just happy the game against the US went as well as it did. The past two Euros have been great, and even making it to the World Cup shows Welsh football moving in the right direction.

Plus, and I posted about this in CSPAM Doomsday Economics, the amount of money Ryan Reynolds and Mac from Always Sunny are throwing around at Wrexham may eventually make its way around the pyramid. They secured TikTok as a sponsor for a team pretty far down the ladder and while I'm sure they hope Wrexham moving up the leagues makes for good TV, it's also good for the sport.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Is money made at Wrexham likely to make it across to the Welsh pyramid though, I thought the traitorous four had removed themselves from all FAW competitions?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Total Meatlove posted:

Is money made at Wrexham likely to make it across to the Welsh pyramid though, I thought the traitorous four had removed themselves from all FAW competitions?

Yeah they don't play in the Welsh league system but it will at least mean better training etc. for their local youth players and so on

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Legit thought Wales would qualify out of this group ffs

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

same but it turns out all their good players are now old and bad

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Eh, Wales have been punching above their weight for some time and it's not as if the U.S. or Iran were bad teams even if the U.S. weren't in a good vein of form going into the world cup. All I've been hoping is that Wales don't finish bottom of the group. Mind you they did pick up a point so it's not a complete whitewash.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

sebzilla posted:

Yeah they don't play in the Welsh league system but it will at least mean better training etc. for their local youth players and so on

Isn't that mostly what Swansea are for, and half the reason that Wales are at a World Cup while Scotland and Ireland are angrily shaking their fists at the Faroe Islands and Kazakhstan?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Isn't that mostly what Swansea are for, and half the reason that Wales are at a World Cup while Scotland and Ireland are angrily shaking their fists at the Faroe Islands and Kazakhstan?

Yeah the sfa chucks all the money at the old firm so the rest of the league stays poo poo and the big two suck in Europe because they never have to get better to play against better domestic opposition

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bessantj posted:

Ah well. To be honest it was nice just to get to the world cup.

"I'm happy I got on stage" says man who pissed self in front of the world.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Cardiff and Swansea both have high standard academies that get millions in PL funding every year like English clubs do. Talented North Wales kids all get poached by Manchester and Liverpool clubs when they're nippers. There isn't a pathway from the domestic game to international, it was a big deal a few years ago when a Welsh Prem player (not on loan) got called up for the u21s because that never happens.

Newport's academy is improving slowly but they're a long way from having a meaningful impact (their best young players were at Swansea until they were 15/16 then released). Even with a lot of investment and back-to-back promotions it will be a long time before Wrexham could have a meaningful impact on the Wales team. Their youth team is signing 18 year olds released by Swansea. The local Wilsons, Levitts, Williamseses are over the border by the time they're teenagers.

There's been huge focus on identifying and recruiting dual-qualified players in the English academy system, to the point where lads with a Welsh grandfather get picked ahead of born in Wales players in u19s/u21s because we want them to choose us down the line. Mixed results imo, the best ones we poach tend to come in late after all hopes of representing England have disappeared (like Moore). Jordan James and Luke Harris have skipped the queue recently, no guarantees they'll ever be worth it (Harris has been immense in u23s football since he was 16 tbf).

The days of 10+Bale working are long gone. It failed in World Cup 2018 qualifying, even. We've not tried to move past it even though we only got to the last Euros on the back of others emerging (like Moore). Page is a starstruck fan more than manager, "who am I to say they can't play?", then "I'll stick with those who got us here", big pat on the back for stumbling through with League Two Jonny Williams and Chris Gunter who spend more time hugging in behind the scenes videos than contributing on any football pitch.

We don't have any great players at the moment but that doesn't mean you can't create a good team. The draw with Belgium a year ago was a decent model. No Bale, and hard-working Ramsey had an excellent game as a free man. Two sitting in midfield, including League One Joe Morrell.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

bessantj posted:

Eh, Wales have been punching above their weight for some time and it's not as if the U.S. or Iran were bad teams even if the U.S. weren't in a good vein of form going into the world cup. All I've been hoping is that Wales don't finish bottom of the group. Mind you they did pick up a point so it's not a complete whitewash.

It's the same reason Cardiff can never stay up IMO. When they get to the Premier League they're outclassed.

As others have said with only Swansea playing at their level to develop talent from, there are real limitations but my hope would be that a third team putting money into youth soccer will help. Some of the Swans players I've liked, like Wilfried Bony aren't Welsh, and I'm not saying we can or should go back to hometown teams, but if there were more skilled Welsh footballers to pull from, maybe there could be more than four Welshmen on Cardiff.

As far as this outcome versus Euros, I do wonder if it's the bad timing of Bale being at the end of his career, Williams already retired.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Frosted Flake posted:

It's the same reason Cardiff can never stay up IMO. When they get to the Premier League they're outclassed.

As others have said with only Swansea playing at their level to develop talent from, there are real limitations but my hope would be that a third team putting money into youth soccer will help. Some of the Swans players I've liked, like Wilfried Bony aren't Welsh, and I'm not saying we can or should go back to hometown teams, but if there were more skilled Welsh footballers to pull from, maybe there could be more than four Welshmen on Cardiff.

As far as this outcome versus Euros, I do wonder if it's the bad timing of Bale being at the end of his career, Williams already retired.

Wilfried Bony's eldest son Geoffroy is in our u21s and maybe does qualify due to residency (the family stayed here from when Wilf first signed). He's not the best striker in our academy, though. We've got a decent u21s side now with a strong group of Welsh players 18 or under. Given the right opportunities there's no reason we won't have another class of Roberts/Rodon/James to add to the ranks in the next 4 years.

Cardiff have as well-funded an academy setup as Swansea, they've let the side down over the last few years and not brought enough players through. Gunter and Ramsey left them a very long time ago, Lockyer was released at 16, and now Colwill and Harris are far from ready. They've always had a problem with players being poached and holding on to the wrong ones. They let Rabbi Matondo go to keep Sion Spence (later released), lost Charlie Crew to Leeds in the summer. A few at Swansea either were at Cardiff when they were younger, or almost signed for them but for amateurish paperwork mishaps.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
This is a bit disappointing so far. Iran game looked like we'd never seen a football before. It's only been the second half of the USA game where we looked vaguely competent.

I'd like us to have a go against England. We're not going to get anywhere if we don't have a go.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gambrinus posted:

We're not going to get anywhere if we don't have a midfield.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Gambrinus posted:

We're not going to get anywhere if we don't have a go.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I like how Gareth Bale spent the last year not playing football so he could be healthy for this World Cup, in which he played almost no football

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
He'll always have that MLS Cup, how many Welshmen can say that?