Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
You don't need to wish them the best but wanting people to die is a sign of a deep sickness of the soul. Instead of wanting people to die, you can pet a friendly dog or say hello to a friendly crow! That is certain to cheer you up when you're feeling down :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

I can do both and my soul is super healthy hth

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
mods any way we could get this thread implanted into the other Happiness Tips thread, and then have "Don't Worry Be Happy" play in the background of that thread? thanks in advance

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

mods any way we could get this thread implanted into the other Happiness Tips thread, and then have "Don't Worry Be Happy" play in the background of that thread? thanks in advance

That is YESTERDAY'S happiness tip

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

That is YESTERDAY'S happiness tip

but you posted more than one tip in that thread

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

wrong

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
what if I want them to die peacefully in their sleep and their existence is one of unbearable suffering and misery

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Private Cumshoe posted:

what if I want them to die peacefully in their sleep and their existence is one of unbearable suffering and misery

I think you would have trouble making meaningful connections with other people with that mentality. Maybe you can hope they learn a bit about themselves by looking inward so that they try to become better people instead :)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
just to clarify- what if we want to post a happiness tip to the previous thread? will those tips be lost forever or can someone quote all of them here? thanks in advance

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

I think you would have trouble making meaningful connections with other people with that mentality.

what if they also wish death upon others?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
suppose i pet my friendly dog while wishing death on my enemies

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

suppose i pet my friendly dog while wishing death on my enemies

are you yojimbo from final fantasy 10

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

cram your magical thinking up your rear end op

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

I think you would have trouble making meaningful connections with other people with that mentality. Maybe you can hope they learn a bit about themselves by looking inward so that they try to become better people instead :)

ya but they're braindead as gently caress it's hard to do some learning about yourself and looking inward when your brain only has the capacity to generate a terrifying hallucinatory mess from whatever sensory functions you have left that isn't dominated by pain and suffering under those conditions

animist
Aug 28, 2018
happiness is a bourgeois marketing buzzword OP.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

I can sadly and dutifully wish death upon my enemies while keeping that completely separate from my sad and miserable life

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

You don't need to wish them the best but wanting people to die is a sign of a deep sickness of the soul. Instead of wanting people to die, you can pet a friendly dog or say hello to a friendly crow! That is certain to cheer you up when you're feeling down :)

knowing all my enemies will eventually die makes me happy actually

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

if there's one thing that has historically never brought people together it's wishing harm upon some other assholes

mystes
May 31, 2006

just pet an animal and remember that humans are in the process of killing virtually all animal life on the planet to cheer yourself up

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

just to clarify- what if we want to post a happiness tip to the previous thread? will those tips be lost forever or can someone quote all of them here? thanks in advance

Xaris posted:

Leave your dorm-room door open, everyone will just walk in and have a fun party with you! :)

You can also try a conversation with a loved one if you are afraid of straingers, and get feedback on how you did :)

Xaris posted:

Call your parents and tell them how much you love them. You will feel better :)

Xaris posted:

When you're ordering Starbucks, smile at the barista and how them how their day is going. Listen carefully, follow-up with more questions such as how much they like working there. A little bit of kindness goes a long way :)

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

Go to the gym, if you look pretty more people will like you and you'll be happier

Xaris posted:

Make eye-contact with everyone at the gym: the longer the better. See if you can make it to 45 minutes, and just add a little extra length each time you try. People appreciate the acknowledgement and in turn you will be acknowledged :)

find a hobby that you enjoy that you can practice and get better at and spend time doing it

"Fake It Til You Make It"

Xaris posted:

Put away the video games and read a books! Nora Roberts, Oprah Winfrey, Michelle Obama, Colleen Hoover, Stephanie Meyer, Dan Brown, Ernest Hemingway. You'll be surprised how much more refreshed you feel after eating a good book instead of junk food like video games :)

Xaris posted:

Live, Laugh, Love :)

reward yourself for a job well done

Xaris posted:

Try meditation! Seek Buddhism! Nirvana is the light upon which guides us, try your hand at yoga and Buddhism! You'd be surprised how much it detoxes the soul :)

Xaris posted:

Go on a carb (chemicals) free diet. A week-long fruit smoothie cleanse once a month and cutting out carbs will get rid of the toxins and make you feel happy :)

There are a lot of reasons to be happy for real! But pretending is something you can do with a sibling's child and become the fun uncle or maybe auntie. I know a child who wants to be an astronaut so we pretend we are in space for fun. We don't really go to space though, that would be impossible. :)

eat only raw animal organs for 30 days

Zeriel posted:

Touch a grass. Just one. You don't want to over do it.

Xaris posted:

Unleash your inner child! There's nothing wrong with indulging in innocence. Curl up infront of the fireplace and watch Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, and Harry Potter and the Halfblood Prince with a nice warming cup of hot cocoa and a sparkling ros. You'd be surprised how much happier you feel :)

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

drink more pure grain alcohol :)

Xaris posted:

Learn how to earn passive income so you can quit your job and focus on your hobbies and social media platform to reach a wider audience thus spreading joy and beauty to all corners of the earth. Signup here for my self-help guide to house flipping. Just do it, trust me, life is better under passive income :)

Of all the pleasures that endear human life, there are none more worthy the attention of a rational creature, than those that flow from mutual returns of conjugal love.

Fortaleza posted:

Get a wok and a rice cooker and learn to cook cheap easy delicious meals for yourself and maybe that special someone too :)

Xaris posted:

Buy some nice Axe deorderant! You'll smell good and hot chicks will jump you when you walk around in public :)

Clip-On Fedora posted:

When you're in public, always be sure to smile! Never let your guard down, not even for a second :)

Someone might call the fun police ;)

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I call this my "happiness prayer"! grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference! try referencing this when you're anxious!

Married people should realize that "The less children and the more servants in the house the less health and happiness," other conditions being equal.

NeatHeteroDude posted:

one thing I like to do is the "half smile" strategy straight out of dialectical behavior therapy (DBT). you do a sort of teeny tiny turning up of the corners of your mouth that basically no one can see because it sends signals to your brain that can slightly improve your mood or anxiety. It's not really a secret weapon, but it actually makes a difference when you practice it.

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I also like the ice-cube trick. If you're about to hit panic attack or crisis mode, you should find some icecubes and squeeze them over the sink as tightly as you can. The cold stimulus shocks your system out of panicking! It works better if you squeeze the ice right after applying an ice water bath or splash to your face! It's incredibly effective! Both my wife and I use those strategies when we get mega stressed out and they work very well

Phlogiston 4 Lyfe posted:

Find a new-to-you piece of media that you know you'll love, and use it as a "break glass in case of depression" kinda thing.

Turtle Watch posted:

its not my job to educate myself on how to be happy

Xaris posted:

If you're feeling unhappy, go for a nature walk! Leave your cellphone behind and go out to the forests and listen to the quiet tranquility of nature! We were meant to be in harmony with gaia and gaia will listen to us if we only listen to her. A one hour walk a week in the woods will remove depression and make you feel refreshed! :)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
thanks :) and if we could go ahead and figure out how to get "don't worry be happy" embedded in here I think that would be great

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE YOU SINCE I CLICKED ON THIS THREAD. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR OP AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT FOR YOU. HATE. HATE.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Smell a dang flower

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
What if the person I want to die is old and buggered, going bananas and in a lot of pain and wants to die themselves?

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Weka posted:

What if the person I want to die is old and buggered, going bananas and in a lot of pain and wants to die themselves?

you could at least try to make whoever is buggering them to stop!

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czIGGIifxg0

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Private Cumshoe posted:

you could at least try to make whoever is buggering them to stop!

Eh, Granny was always one for the fellas so if she's getting some I say good on her.

Meat Miracle
Oct 24, 2010

forgive me kissinger sama, for just a moment i allowed the darkness to overcome me

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

If anyone's struggling with loneliness right now, remember that human beings weren't meant to be by themselves for long periods of time. It's as important to your mental health to spend time with others offline (even over the phone!) as it is for your physical health to wear a mask in the grocery store.

I've noticed people wearing respirators, cutting contact with the outside world, etc., to prioritize keeping safe from COVID. It's important to feel safe and secure, but letting your mental health suffer to remain "status quo" with your physical health will only make you more depressed and anxious. If you're looking for a safe space to spend time with others, consider contacting your local game shop/Facebook group and asking to join a DnD game! Most people in the community are comfortable wearing masks and will not bother you for wearing yours.

Another idea is to go to the gym! You can wear your respirator, and people will leave you alone because it's the gym, and nobody gives a poo poo what anyone is doing in the gym. Most people are too busy looking at buff dudes or attractive women to care about your mask setup. They're also focusing on themselves because insecurity is very common in average and advanced gym-goers. Nobody's perfect, so if you're worried about being judged, just know you're not alone. If you wear a mask in the gym, it'll be a little harder to do cardio because the sweat from your face will make it difficult for air to pass in and out of the mask. However, I wear one and am happy practicing mental toughness in addition to physical strength!

Overall, being around people, even if you don't know them or even if you don't interact with them, is a necessary component for a happy, healthy lifestyle.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

NeatHeteroDude posted:

If anyone's struggling with loneliness right now, remember that human beings weren't meant to be by themselves for long periods of time. It's as important to your mental health to spend time with others offline (even over the phone!) as it is for your physical health to wear a mask in the grocery store.

I've noticed people wearing respirators, cutting contact with the outside world, etc., to prioritize keeping safe from COVID. It's important to feel safe and secure, but letting your mental health suffer to remain "status quo" with your physical health will only make you more depressed and anxious. If you're looking for a safe space to spend time with others, consider contacting your local game shop/Facebook group and asking to join a DnD game! Most people in the community are comfortable wearing masks and will not bother you for wearing yours.

Another idea is to go to the gym! You can wear your respirator, and people will leave you alone because it's the gym, and nobody gives a poo poo what anyone is doing in the gym. Most people are too busy looking at buff dudes or attractive women to care about your mask setup. They're also focusing on themselves because insecurity is very common in average and advanced gym-goers. Nobody's perfect, so if you're worried about being judged, just know you're not alone. If you wear a mask in the gym, it'll be a little harder to do cardio because the sweat from your face will make it difficult for air to pass in and out of the mask. However, I wear one and am happy practicing mental toughness in addition to physical strength!

Overall, being around people, even if you don't know them or even if you don't interact with them, is a necessary component for a happy, healthy lifestyle.

If you're cutting yourself off from the world because of COVID-19, PLEASE read this post.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
speak for yourself loser.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Homeless Friend posted:

speak for yourself loser.

uh, I am? did you even read the post??

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

now the post is getting further away from the most recent post and more people aren't gonna see it

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
every day we stray further from post #527650714

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

:crackping: IMPORTANT NEWS REGARDING COVID-19 RESEARCH AND MENTAL HEALTH :crackping:

NeatHeteroDude posted:

:siren: IF YOU READ ANYTHING TODAY, READ THIS :siren:

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Homeless Friend posted:

every day we stray further from post #527650714

shut up

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

yeah if youre gonna read posts you should read the ones with crackping and siren smilies

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

lumpentroll posted:

yeah if youre gonna read posts you should read the ones with crackping and siren smilies

what smilies do you suggest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

NeatHeteroDude posted:

what smilies do you suggest?

:gb2gbs: