Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Uruguay - Group H
South Korea (24th November)
Portugal (28th November)
Ghana (2nd December)

Uruguay are the third most successful country from South America, they're four two time winners of the World Cup (in 1930 when they also hosted it, and 1950 when there wasn't even a final) and two time Olympic champions from 1924 and 1928 - they've also won the Copa America 15 times, joint most with Argentina. After failing to mount much of a challenge (or even qualify) for forty years, they finished fourth in South Africa 2010 and have been World Cup regulars ever since - several players from that squad will be playing in their fourth World Cup this year.

Note they've added the Olympic stars to their crest:

They're also noted for some slightly more infamous World Cup moments.

José Batista's red card after 55 seconds vs Scotland in 1986:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C07Lo8ver38
Luis Suarez's magnificent goalkeeping vs Ghana in 2010:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM-29hy-Qyw
Luis Suarez biting a chunk out of Giorgio Chiellini's arm in 2014:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tVdCQaH0vs

The Boss
Diego Alonso

After 15 years in charge Oscar Tabarez was sacked in November last year, after a 3-0 defeat in Bolivia left them seventh in the group and their spot in Qatar far from certain. In came former Pachucha and Monterrey manager Diego Alonso - in his nine games in charge Uruguay have won seven and only been beaten once, guiding Uruguay to third in the CONMEBOL group to claim their spot in Qatar. Alonso was the first manager to win the CONCACAF Champions League with two different sides, and spent 5 successful years in Mexico before managing newly formed Inter Miami for their first two seasons of existence.

Notable Players
Uruguay have an immensely experienced squad, with 5 players having over 100 caps, and several highly rated young players.

Diego Godin

Diego Godin is one of the most experienced players in international football with 159 caps, the centre-back has been captain for 7 years and is another player heading to his fourth world cup. Having spent nearly 10 years at Aletico Madrid he moved to Italy in 2019 for three seasons, before returning to South America for a brief stopover in Brazil and currently plays for Velaz Sarsfield in Argentina. He's a no-nonsense centre-back noted for his aerial ability both in defence and in the opposition penalty box for set pieces.

Rodrigo Bentancur

Bentancur has established himself as first choice in the Tottenham midfield since joining in the January transfer window earlier this year. He's a versatile player comfortable in both defensive or attacking midfielder roles, and is an excellent box-to-box player. He also excels at winning the ball back in midfield, and keeping attacks going when in danger of being broken down.

Luis Suarez

After 16 immensely successful years in Europe, winning the champions league, La Liga and the English League Cup Suarez has returned to his native Uruguay playing for Nacional. A prolific goalscorer both domestically and internationally he is unfortunately most noted for various controversies - including biting several players during games leading to him being banned three times missing 39 games in the process. He was also accused of racially abusing Manchester United player Patrice Evra for which he was banned for 8 games and fined £40,000 - with his excuse being that the words he used were a term of endearment in Uruguay.

Darwin Nunez

Liverpool's newest signing, striker Nunez has impressed already scoring 7 goals so far this season, although he also received a red card for headbutting Joachim Anderson after the centre-back wound him up all game. A tall rangy player he's noted for his pace and will cause defenders trouble in Qatar.

Other players you might have heard of
Fernando Muslera - Somehow only 36, the goalkeeper is going into his fourth world cup. He's been plying his trade at Galatasaray for over a decade, winning 6 league titles and Turkish Footballer of the year once
Sebastian Coates - The former Liverpool superstar will be playing in his third world cup, he's a centre-back currently playing for Sporting Lisbon
Federico Valverde - A regular in the Real Madrid midfield for the past 5 season, this will be his first World Cup
Edinson Cavani - The veteran former PSG & Manchester United striker is currently playing for Valencia. Even if he doesn't start he will be a danger coming off the bench, especially with his experience - this being his fourth World Cup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Squad announcement:
https://twitter.com/Uruguay/status/1590841967642279952

They're also taking 900KG of beef:

Google Translate posted:

The president of the National Meat Institute (INAC), Conrado Ferber, referred this Thursday to the agreement reached with the Uruguayan Football Association (AUF) to supply the team with 900 kilos of meat during the World Cup in Qatar.

Ferber explained that they will carry 300 kilos of loin, 300 of wide steak and 300 of narrow steak; all the meat -from the Matadero Pando- will travel by plane.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
any excuse to post The Seb Coates Goal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rlEg_GOyiA

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

this video has me hyped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT18PmNjWoc

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
This year was extremely disappointing for my favorite team, Atletico mineiro. Lots of players played really poorly. But by far the worst player I saw play for Atletico this year was Godin. Crazy that he is still going to the WC. My great grandmother was Charrua, so I've always had a soft spot for Uruguay.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Godín, Cáceres, injured Araujo, Canobbio, Rodríguez, Maxi Gómez...

Tabárez's tradition of wasting as much space in the squad as possible lives on.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Godín and Caceres both seemed quite washed up when I've seen them last, so if they're being relied upon that'll be a problem (idk if they're still starting players though)

At least Bentancur is finally good again, he was really good at WC 2018 and then Juve withdrew the life force from him over the next 3 years, but seems like he's back on track.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

trem_two posted:

Godín and Caceres both seemed quite washed up when I've seen them last, so if they're being relied upon that'll be a problem (idk if they're still starting players though)

At least Bentancur is finally good again, he was really good at WC 2018 and then Juve withdrew the life force from him over the next 3 years, but seems like he's back on track.

We only have Giménez and Coates for the CB position. Araujo will probably miss the first couple of games and even if he comes back, he hasnt played in a while and will be lacking fitness. Godin can't even get a game for Vélez ffs

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Godin in Brazil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktZbz3BNJ6Y

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

I was quite surprised how many of the old guard are still in the squad, Cavani still looked sharp for United last season but whenever I've seen Suarez post-Barcelona he's looked out of shape and an old slow centre back sounds a recipe for disaster. Good end to the domestic season for Bentacur though, he's scored twice for Spurs today

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

I don't think he was ever the quickest but man is he slow now

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It's to keep Suarez distracted during training

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Good tribute to Tabarez by Diego Alonso. Suarez was pathetic as expected and Cáceres was a liability all game long, as expected. Still could have won if the goalposts helped a little.

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity
As Mexico scored, Uruguay is the only team remaining without goals.

Can they goals?

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Pooruguay.