Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I just got myself a new Dutch oven and can't wait to make some of my camping favorites: mountain man breakfast and cobbler.

And of course I'll be making that all-time classic, s'mores.

And hotdogs (no recipe necessary I think).

There's also these:

Which are apparently called a pie iron. You can make some excellent things with them.

In Germany, they make Stockbrot.

Stick-bread!

And of course, you can always just wrap corn or a potato in butter (and maybe aluminum foil) and throw it in the firepit for some time.

Share your favorite things to eat while camping or tell me what I should do with my Dutch oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m fine with just the classic coal potato and some sausages but now I really want to make a hotdog octopus

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Pie irons are great. You can put some fruit/jam between bread or something like crescent rolls to make a little pie, of course, but they also just make great sandwiches. A little lunchmeat and cheese, get it all toasty and melty.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh yeah, pie irons rule. Biscuit dough pies with cheese and hot dogs or ground hamburger inside are the most delicious feast I've ever eaten after a long day hiking.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
The only acceptable marshmallow is charred black on the outside, with a gooey center approximately the temperature of the surface of the sun.

The only substitute I will accept is a deep golden brown, and only when used on s'mores. :colbert:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Pie-iron pizza sandwiches are a burden of ingredients that are only really manageable when car camping out of a cooler or if you have a chimnea but goddamn they are good. Red sauce, mozz, peperoni. Perfect bundle of grease.

Usual car camping fare for us are foil packets of veggies and sausage or chicken. You can basically steam them cooked in the foil then finish on the griddle plate over the fire instead of trying to stir fry the whole thing in the dark on the griddle.

Coal potatoes are good but possibly a trap if your campfire involves enough alcohol.

I never took my parents pie irons when moving out and I think they've since been lost in a retirement purge, does anyone have any to recommend?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

zedprime posted:

I never took my parents pie irons when moving out and I think they've since been lost in a retirement purge, does anyone have any to recommend?

I guess it's probably too late in the year for this, but we've always just picked up cheap sets at garage sales and they've worked perfectly fine. I think they're the kind of thing that mostly works no matter what, since they're basically two hunks of cast iron on metal poles.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

zedprime posted:

Pie-iron pizza sandwiches are a burden of ingredients that are only really manageable when car camping out of a cooler or if you have a chimnea but goddamn they are good. Red sauce, mozz, peperoni. Perfect bundle of grease.

Usual car camping fare for us are foil packets of veggies and sausage or chicken. You can basically steam them cooked in the foil then finish on the griddle plate over the fire instead of trying to stir fry the whole thing in the dark on the griddle.

Coal potatoes are good but possibly a trap if your campfire involves enough alcohol.

Yeah, foil packs are my campfire go-to. If we're planning ahead we'll even pre-cut veggies at home. Peppers and onions, a pre-cooked sausage or two, a little bit of butter, salt/pepper/garlic powder. Double wrap in heavy duty foil, give it a little handle so you can grab it out with tongs. They have a really wide range of "done" so it's hard to gently caress up, since you can't see inside.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Shadow0 posted:

There's also these:

Which are apparently called a pie iron. You can make some excellent things with them.

That is a Jaffle.

some random website posted:

A Jaffle is the Australian name for a closed toasted sandwich.

The name came from its creator Dr Ernest Smithers, from Bondi in NSW, who created and patented the Jaffle Iron in Australia back in the 1950’s.

I love a nice jaffle. Baked beans and cheese is the poo poo.

:australia:

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
popcorn over an open fire is neat

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

Blow posted:

That is a Jaffle.

I love a nice jaffle. Baked beans and cheese is the poo poo.

:australia:

Also pretty sure in Australia we call that Stockbrot thing damper. Traditionally you would have it with billy tea but these days most people have it with honey. Its more like a scone than a bread but it always tastes best made on a stick.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I love to make classic, quintessential smores while camping

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I love to make classic, quintessential smores while camping

I could go for some classy smores right about now.

Seriously though, I love smores in concept but it's hard to think of a snack that gives you such a high chance of getting sticky sugar gunk all over you while you're also not somewhere that you can easily wash it off right away.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

navajo fry bread owns

using it for tacos is best but also owns when dusted with cinnamon and sugar

pandy fackler fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 11, 2022

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

I like taking a carbon steel wok camping, it's a really great way to use the really hot temperatures you can get from a campfire. I generally go for something along the lines of fried rice/yakisoba but you do whatever, some friends even deep fried donuts once!

Some action shots from a few trips ago:

Other than that, I'm a fan of:
-Cast iron Paella - fry onions in plenty of oil, add spices+broth/water/rice/optional protein, cook until done (paella pan also works if you have one).
-Dutch oven cobbler (already mentioned) - two cans of peaches/equivalent, top with a box of cake mix then butter (can add foraged berries if they're in season).

Lhet fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 3, 2023

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Stew and Dutch ovens go together like chocolate and marshmallows. Any kind of ‘toss it all in and let sit’ type of meal like a ragout or gumbo or biryani whatever, so long as it’s not tomato based go hog wild.

And I’ve had luck getting pie irons at goodwill and those antique stores that sell old Pyrex etc as well as estate sales (great place for cast iron in general)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
Does anybody have a solid recipe for cobbler without a dutch oven? I only have an enameled dutch oven, which doesn’t seem safe to out over a fire, but I have several cast iron pans and a super heavy duty baking steel.