Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Football or Football?
Real :911: Football
Fake-o Euro Soccer
View Results

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

davecrazy posted:

Is this the thread we post about it coming home?
It's coming home in four years, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If 0 points happens, Gregg is probably fired and that's good
There will be at least a handful of people on social media who will unironically suggest that Greeg be replaced with Jason Sudekis dressed up as Ted Lasso.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

sticksy posted:

Wonder how far back Landon's hairline must be now

Also, Never Forget these classics from their 2002 USMNT WC photo shoot

And guess what: they did that photo shoot and then went to the quarterfinals in Japan/Korea.

Coincidence? I think not

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

G-Hawk posted:

espn deleted the tweet after usmnt twitter had a minor melt down about it
To be fair it takes next to nothing to cause USMNT Twitter to have a minor meltdown.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Are they still melting down that there aren't a negative number of MLS players on the squad?
You really need to ask that question?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

Berhalter is carrying over his high school grudge on Claudio to poor Gio.
Imagine how awkward it could be if Wynalda and Harkes had sons on this team. Hell maybe they'd be half-brothers.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

I reckon England are a good 3 goals better than the U.S. but it's a funny old game. Until it's not :usa:
It was indeed a funny old game

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

skasion posted:

Adu is such a weird and pretty sad story, he got the whole pathetic US soccer media pushing him yet never accomplished anything at any senior level. Idk if it was age fraud or what, or who was running his career for him when he was 14, but whatever adult(s) had responsibility for him should be ashamed
It also turned out that his first manager at DC United, Piotr Nowak, was quite racist, which I'm sure was great for a teenage immigrant from Africa, and also enjoyed assaulting his own players during practice after mistakes or perceived lack of attention.

Just the manager you want to bring a 14-year-old professional with a shitload of hype and pressure on him into the senior ranks.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Infidel Castro posted:

The men's team hasn't, no.
In a roundabout way, they did cause a shootout in 1994.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

just thinkn bout thos balls
USA trainer has the best job in the world right now.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

If only that bald fraud would give Reyna Jr. some minutes....
Maybe he pulled kind of a John Harkes but instead after they got to Qatar Gregg learned Gio screwed one of his adult children.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

habeasdorkus posted:

I will not be convinced by anything other than sworn testimony from all parties that Gio didn't gently caress Gregg's wife.
As an aside, learning what Harkes actually did all those years after the fact was incredible.

I mean, he wasn't just loving Wynalda's wife but in one instance he shot over there while Wynalda was gone and the two went at while the kids were still in the house but taking a nap.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

bawfuls posted:

lol that Carolla is reduced to being a Fox News talking head now, what an arc that dipshit has had
Honestly not much of a better one than Dr. Drew.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Tortilla Maker posted:

Women’s rights won today…oh, wait.
Funny you mention that, since thanks to new US national teams pay agreement the USWNT just got paid more than they did for winning both of the last two Women's World Cups due to the men making the second round of this one.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

skasion posted:

Wasn’t a total humiliation but it wasn’t that far off either. the lack of a natural finisher made this tournament hard on us but the reason we lost the game was defensive errors. All three goals came from late runs into the box nobody tracked. Bummer
They were the second-youngest team at the World Cup after not even qualifying last time, and it wasn't like they were ranked in the top 10 or anything. Round of 16 was realistically as far as they were going to go.

Now watch some deranged American Outlaws member mail a revolver and one bullet to Berhalter and ask him to do the needful.

surf rock posted:

This team is not gonna do jack poo poo in 2026; I don't believe they would qualify if we weren't a host.
Are you loving high?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Spuckuk posted:

You only adapted being poo poo at footie, we were born into it, moulded by it.
It was really nice of the English to wait until the rest of the world was better than them to decide the World Cup was actually worth showing up to.

davecrazy posted:

What's Lebron James up to these days?
To be serious for a moment because it's insane, he's currently averaging 26 points/7 boards/9 assists per game a month into the NBA season in which he'll turn 38 years old. I remember him being put on the cover of ESPN The Magazine at the age 16 and somehow he still managed to do more than live up to all the hype.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 4, 2022

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

G-Hawk posted:

roberto martinez
To be fair to Roberto Martinez there's not a hell of a lot you can do with a squad when all of its notable players apparently absolutely loving hate the living poo poo out of each other.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Okay so I've said this in other places, but for all his issues I would like someone to tell me what manager the USSF could have realistically hired in 2018 that would been able to take a US squad that was the second-youngest at the World Cup (Ghana 1st - exited at Group Stage), didn't even qualify for 2018, wasn't ranked in the top 10-12, didn't have any world-class forwards in the player pool, and breeze it into the quarterfinals or the semis because if you'll believe USMNT social media the Dutch team was just 26 overgrown handicapped children ripe for the taking.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 4, 2022

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Famethrowa posted:

blows my mind that smaller countries like SK and Japan seem to have grown better national teams then the US. not to take anything away from them, but their talent pool can't be any bigger. clearly its the "academy" system failing, but jeez. how can you grapple with that.
Well I'd imagine football being pretty solidly the second-most popular professional sport in both countries helps. And I don't really think you can say they've grown markedly better national teams than the US. They're typically alright, just like the US.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

USA needs to just wait out Pep winning the CL at City

I’m not joking, he’ll do it (he’s hinted at it)
Only problem with Pep and the USMNT is that you'd have be sure to keep him away from Caleb Porter.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Aggro posted:

Word on the street is that the 2024 Copa America is being moved from Ecuador to the US with 6 CONCACAF teams being invited.

https://twitter.com/dmontalvan/status/1600561564804792320?s=46&t=4HS6bC_aT4MOhjHzwojzfQ

So, 2023 Gold Cup, 2024 Copa, 2025 Gold Cup, 2026 CUM Cup
2023: Foreplay
2024: Foreplay
2025: Foreplay
2026: CUM

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Vegetable posted:

Lol at the coaching staff voting on a player’s squad status and bigger lol at discussing this with a journ, even off the record.
Also lol that Gio thought the best to way to respond to not getting the start in the World Cup opener that he wanted was to half-rear end it training and - if you'll believe another report - almost get in a fight with the team captain.

look man you're not messi or cronaldo and you've been injured more often than the last year or more so just cool it a bit

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 12, 2022

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Also lol at the fact that a not at all small amount of the USMNT sawker fandom thinks the fact that (reportedly) Greggg didn't respond to Gio (reportedly) being a li'l poo poo by caving in and treating him like an indispensable member of the team was actually a massive failure of leadership on Berhalter's part and yet another reason why he needs to be fired yesterday

Imagine scores of idiots who genuinely believe poo poo like this

https://twitter.com/ManagerTactical/status/1602084399838896128
https://twitter.com/ManagerTactical/status/1602120901805449227

It's idiots all the way down. They have the sense of entitlement of Brazil fans with zero of the success.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

t a s t e posted:

That guy’s right in the second one
Yeah and the player mentioned in the second one made the top half of the Guardian's media poll of the 100 best players in the world just a couple of years ago, and down in the thread it was mentioned that the specific firing the was the culmination of him having been exiled from the squad for over a year.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

t a s t e posted:

If ziyech was any good he’d get minutes for Chelsea op
And if Gio hadn't been constantly injured over the last 15 months maybe he would have been in a better spot to contribute at the World Cup. It would be one thing if he had even Musah's playing record but he's only seen regular time on the field as a player for one season as a professional, and that was a couple of years ago. Of course he's a really talented player, but he's still a bit of a question mark.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I get that it would have been loving amazing for him to be right there and 100% for every game, but he'd played about 400 total minutes of football for Dortmund this calendar year before heading to Qatar. I just don't see how he was going to have anything other than a limited role?