Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Football or Football?
Real :911: Football
Fake-o Euro Soccer
View Results

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

I think a lot of outcomes are possible with this team. Our backline is very shaky, i do not feel confident in any of the fit CBs and Dest is a fun player but not always especially good at defending. Harry Kane might score 4.

The attacking players have tons of potential, but its more potential than actual so far (which to be fair half of them are like 20 years old.) If you're not familiar with them, other than the obvious (Pulisic), Musah and Reyna are extremely talented teenagers who might end up being the best two of this bunch, if Reyna can stay fit anyway. Aaronson and Adams have been in very good form for Leeds. Mckennie has been choppy but often is pretty useful for Juventus. Tim Weah is also kind of good. The striker situation is more of a question mark, Josh Sargent has risen from the dead by rampaging in the Championship for 6 weeks, which is in fact a better league than the league the other 2 options play in. Ferreira has been featured in the team more recently but lost form somewhere around August.

I think the big questions on the starting 11 against Wales will be who gets left out from Mckennie, Reyna, and Aaronson, which CB starts with Zimmerman, and if it is Ferreira or Sargent upfront. My guess right now would be Reyna off the bench, Long, and Sargent but I wouldn't be shocked otherwise and Gregg is usually good for at least one wild card decision - maybe we see Aaronson in the midfield instead if Mckennie isn't fully fit.

The other thing I'll mention if you haven't watched this U.S. team, they very deliberately do not play like past U.S. teams, for better or worse. Berhalter (the manager) believes heavily in pressing, passing out of the back, and playing a much more possession oriented style than the U.S. team has traditionally played. His view is that the U.S. needs to develop into a team that dominates the ball, rather than a counter attacking team, and this young group can do it. A lot of these younger players have the technical ability to do so, and when it works its great, but many U.S. fans think the results may be better with a more pragmatic approach. I'd say the big problem is we may have 5-10 players who work in that style but the team is still not deep in terms of technical ability, so the drop off can be rough. Berhalter believes in the long run its the right approach, and he might be right, but in the short term it sometimes looks extremely disjointed.

I think getting out of the group is a reasonable goal, but its a young team and none of the opponents are easy. I generally like a lot of these players and think they could be the core of a really good team in 4 years, but the expectations this time are going to be ahead of themselves probably. I hope Gio Reyna does some cool poo poo.

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

The Lord of Hats posted:

tie is acceptable

unamerican!!

can't wait to find out who gets injured this weekend

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Rogue0071 posted:

Great news for the US, Zack Steffen has been in top form for Boro since returning from injury a while back and just played a blinder vs Norwich.

Checks notes

Lmao.

Berhalter better hope there's no major goalkeeping error or injury or he may look really silly.

sean johnson is fine. the us keeper problem is not having a particularly good #1, but we have several #2s so theres that

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

espn deleted the tweet after usmnt twitter had a minor melt down about it

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

i guess its progress in u.s. soccer media that it was just a dumb tweet and everyone yelled at them and it got deleted instead of being some giant feature article or whatever.

i'd guess espn's coverage of this world cup generally blows with fox having the rights.

speaking of, Fox announced their commentary teams for the group stage and they're actually pretty good except for Landon Donovan who has been terrible behind the mic everytime i've heard him. Ian Darke can carry him probably. https://worldsoccertalk.com/news/world-cup-2022-commentator-schedule-on-fox-and-fs1-20221117-WST-405572.html. Strong and Holden aren't my favorite but they're tolerable compared to the horror days of dave o'brien

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Zotix posted:

So I can't throw $10 at Fox Sports app to watch it? It needs to be linked to an active cable/ whatever subscription?

if you want english based commentary, your best option is probably sling blue for a month then cancel, its 20 bucks (1/2 off the first month) and has fox and fs1 (and other poo poo i guess)

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

i strongly disagree with not starting Reyna, he is easily our best player at breaking down defenses which wales is gonna be difficult to break down.

Other than that its fine, but leaving Reyna out is a mistake imo (I'd swap him for Weah and bring Weah off the bench today, then start Weah against England)

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

the best us set piece taker is gio reyna

i'm usually pretty on board with berhalter but if reyna was available, not bringing him on at least as a sub is inexplicable

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/PaulTenorio/status/1594812019823321097

https://twitter.com/PaulTenorio/status/1594813492762402818

Its hard to parse this exactly and Gregg is probably being deliberately unclear about what his situation is, but Reyna played in 8 matches for Dortmund between 10/22 and 11/11 so I don't think there is any need to get him up to speed. And jordan morris is better in bench pressing and probably nothing else relative to gio reyna

edit: lol

https://twitter.com/JeffreyCarlisle/status/1594818057347928066

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 21, 2022

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Narcissus1916 posted:

I only tune in for football for the world cup so its been a while. But what was up with like half the players cramping at the end?

they were very aggressively pressing and half of them are coming off a variety of small injuries so they probably aren't 90 minute fit

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Hopefully gregg has been bullied into playing our most talented player instead of jordan morris

Also start aaronson

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Aggro posted:

The Iran game became a must-win as soon as Zimmerman took his stupid loving penalty.

Not much changes unless the US loses by 3 or more. If the US loses by 1 or 2, then a win over Iran will put them in 2nd place (unless Wales somehow beats England).

Iran’s consolation goal in the 103rd minute against England and their second goal against Wales in the 101st minute may end up playing a huge role. If Iran’s goal differential was -4, the US could get shithoused today and still have a chance. Like, if the US loses 3-0 today, they’d have to win by 4 against Iran to go through.

iran is on 3 points not 4. There is no scenario where the U.S. and Iran tie on points. There is a scenario where Wales beat England and GD matters for the U.S. against Wales, but otherwise its just win and in for the u.s. and win/draw and in for Iran. Unless the U.S. actually beats England and then the math gets messier, but even then goal difference could only come into play for the U.S. against England or Wales

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

FullLeatherJacket posted:

tbf if England win tonight, they've basically won the group save Iran putting about eight goals past the US, so it wouldn't entirely surprise me if they half-assed the hell out of the Wales game

england's bench are a million miles better than wales xi who have looked like poo poo in both matches, but they could definitely give the least possible fucks imaginable

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Turner; Dest, Ream, Zimmerman, Robinson; Adams, Musah, McKennie; Weah, Wright (for Sargent), Pulisic.

well, time to find out if haji wright has anything to offer i guess. seems like it would be ideal to know that before this match, but here we are

i agree with bringing reyna off the bench today to start him vs iran but if i don't see him by minute 70 i'm gonna murder

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Gregg’s gonna bring him on in the 85th minute after England scores their 4th

no thats the powerful jordan morris role

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

gregg said he was available also. and hes been playing regularly for dortmund so hes fine unless he picked something up in training

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Im murderin

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

honestly i assumed there would be some drama with this fixture and american players being asked about the iran protests and such

i did not assume that us soccer would do some weird passive aggressive flag edit on social media as a way of kind of sort of commenting without commenting on the matter

gregg and adams dealt with it fine it seems like though

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

maybe canada could just loan us johnathan david for the rest of the tournament

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

stab posted:

He's been dogshit this tourney you can have him if you need him for this tourney alone

have you seen our striker options? deal.

I think the u.s. finds a goal today but i'm worried about Taremi on the counter against our slow as gently caress CBs. My guess is we run out Ferreira with the same wingers and midfield as game 1/2, but who knows what wild card gregg will do.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

thats a bunch of kits that are better than our current kit

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

USMNT lineup vs Iran
Turner
Dest
Ream
Carter-Vickers
Robinson
Adams
McKennie
Musah
Weah
Sargent
Pulisic

no MLS players, CCV in for Zimmerman and Sargent up to.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

Have Pulisic play as a false 9, which he does poorly, but at least it gets another creative player on the pitch

at this point berhalter has made it clear he isn't gonna do it i guess, he believes he needs a physical striker at top

i don't mind sargent of the options within that framework. i just hope he uses subs earlier and brings on reyna/aaronson at or near half if we are level or behind

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

the sex ghost posted:

loving start Aaronson he's better than whatever Colorado rapids clown plays there

Most fail Gregg in the history of this forum

no MLS players are starting (which is a first in the world cup since MLS existed)

I like Aaronson a lot the problem is we have Pulisic, Weah, Aaronson, Reyna, McKennie and Musah and 4 spots for them and I don't think there's any particularly good options for who to leave out. I rate Aaronson and Reyna over Weah but he does have the goal and Gregg clearly likes him at that spot.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I would start Reyna or Aaronson over Musah as I think you get by without Musah for Iran in exchange for more attacking chops

i think musah can do things in attack few of our players can but hes been playing way too far back so far and at times basically falling back to LB when Robinson goes forward. i want him on the pitch but want him further up the pitch

i'd have one of them over mckennie if anything. Which i think the fact that basically no one can agree on which combination of them says a lot

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Successful world cup, house money now do something silly

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

its well known that the best way to make a run in a tournament is to never concede and grind out 1-0 wins, the dutch are hosed folks

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/USMNT/status/1597757282934063104?s=19

His balls hurt but he lives

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

tyler adams is the man of every u.s. match imo

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

This poo poo is hilarious https://sports.yahoo.com/christian-pulisic-called-his-world-cup-shot-and-usmnt-devised-the-exact-play-to-make-it-happen-011209045.html

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

pulisic is cleared to play tomorrow, america is saved

sargent apparently "looked good" in training today per a reporter, though Berhalter sounded less optimistic but he also clearly just didn't want to give anything away.

no other known fitness issues

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

jesus ferreira last played in a match on October 23rd

but on the bright side, he isn't haji wright

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

also,

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1599025992110149633

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

tristeham posted:

it's football you old gently caress

actually you'll find it is called soccer

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Wasnt really expecting the US issue to be the backline forgetting how to mark players on crosses

4 years to find a couple of centerbacks and a striker to go with the rest of this group

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Aggro posted:

Honestly that last goal looked nothing like the defense the USA showed in the group stage. I would’ve said that their strength against England and Iran was a solid back line and marking that never allowed for a free look at goal. Somehow everyone just like…short-circuited

Robinson just didnt see him and i guess couldnt hear turner.

The core of the team is good but you're not getting far without a functional striker and playing a cb combo of walker zimmerman and tim ream (who had a good tournament but..)

Getting out of the group was nice at least

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

I think there is a decent chance one of our 20~ year old striker prospects come good but who knows really. I'm less worried about cb, our 2 best options were at home injured and more will come along. That midfield could be a monster come 26, and theres a lot more talent coming up.

Hopefully we can get into some version of copa america to play some competitive matches against anyone besides concacaf

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

surf rock posted:

Listen I'm FRUSTRATED :smith:

I just don't understand why we can't get a striker with any sense of killer instinct in the box, or why we didn't do jack poo poo on eleventy billion corner kicks this tournament.

well the latter is because christian pulisic kept taking them and he is notably bad at set pieces. why he kept taking them is a better question

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

psyer posted:

USMNT didn't even call up their best strikers for some weird reason. Not that they are good enough though.

do you mean pepi or pefok or someone else? I would have brought at least one of them over haji but it was a bunch of bad choices. sargent would have done a better job than ferreira probably but not exactly a world beater either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

psyer posted:

Pepi and Pefok are probably the best striker option they have for US. Sargent is good at the pressing, running around but terrible at finishing. I still do not know how Jordan Morris got called him when he was not doing anything for his club team besides being hurt recently.

jordan morris is Big and Powerful or something. I do not have nearly as much of an issue with Berhalter as a lot of people but his loyalty to Morris has always been one of his most frustrating decisions.

we should have brought pepi but he was dogshit for a year and most of his goals lately are poo poo goals against poo poo teams so i somewhat get it. hopefully he turns out to be the real deal and the situation is different next cycle.