Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Football or Football?
Real :911: Football
Fake-o Euro Soccer
View Results

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Aggro posted:

(unless Wales somehow beats England)

tbf if England win tonight, they've basically won the group save Iran putting about eight goals past the US, so it wouldn't entirely surprise me if they half-assed the hell out of the Wales game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Total Meatlove posted:

Poor fuckers might think you’re singing and clear out though, just wear a top

I'm on after the game lol

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I reckon England are a good 3 goals better than the U.S. but it's a funny old game. Until it's not :usa:

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

FullLeatherJacket posted:

tbf if England win tonight, they've basically won the group save Iran putting about eight goals past the US, so it wouldn't entirely surprise me if they half-assed the hell out of the Wales game

england's bench are a million miles better than wales xi who have looked like poo poo in both matches, but they could definitely give the least possible fucks imaginable

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

I have watched enough world cups to never know what the gently caress to expect on any given day, have decided to go to my grave “happy to be here”

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Please put “happy to be here” on my tombstone also, tia

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Turner; Dest, Ream, Zimmerman, Robinson; Adams, Musah, McKennie; Weah, Wright (for Sargent), Pulisic.

well, time to find out if haji wright has anything to offer i guess. seems like it would be ideal to know that before this match, but here we are

i agree with bringing reyna off the bench today to start him vs iran but if i don't see him by minute 70 i'm gonna murder

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

G-Hawk posted:

Turner; Dest, Ream, Zimmerman, Robinson; Adams, Musah, McKennie; Weah, Wright (for Sargent), Pulisic.

well, time to find out if haji wright has anything to offer i guess. seems like it would be ideal to know that before this match, but here we are

i agree with bringing reyna off the bench today to start him vs iran but if i don't see him by minute 70 i'm gonna murder

Gregg’s gonna bring him on in the 85th minute after England scores their 4th

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Predicting a 1-1 US win

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Gregg’s gonna bring him on in the 85th minute after England scores their 4th

no thats the powerful jordan morris role

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

which U.S. defender will get a red card today.
Questions

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

G-Hawk posted:

I know Reyna says he's healthy, but I really doubt it

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I’m willing to believe Gregg is just a retard

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

gregg said he was available also. and hes been playing regularly for dortmund so hes fine unless he picked something up in training

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

t a s t e posted:

I’m willing to believe Gregg is just a retard

That used to be worth a ban, modding gone downhill

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Total Meatlove posted:

That used to be worth a ban, modding gone downhill

it's the price paid for allowing jokes about liverpool

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Im murderin

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Still undefeated by England :toot:

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I realize that England is widely considered the superior team, so a draw for the U.S. is kind of a win. But, on the other hand, LOL at the people who went all the way to Qatar to watch two straight draws, including one against a country the size of Arkansas.

edit: are there any young players in the U.S. who are considered especially gifted shooters? Is there, like, a 16-year-old striker averaging a goal a game who'll be ready for the next World Cup? I think this team is actually pretty decent in an all-around sense, but nobody can pull a rabbit out of their hat.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 25, 2022

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I don’t watch much of this sport but these guys all looked afraid to shoot, and every set piece is a wet fart

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

1) US fuckin' A still England's boss
2) Please let me not see Shaq Moore on the field again this WC

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
4 more years of people who watch one game and talk about how boring soccer is because the big hyped match was complete dogshit

lol @ berlhalter telling them to not even bother putting the ball into the box with the last free kick

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Reek posted:

4 more years of people who watch one game and talk about how boring soccer is because the big hyped match was complete dogshit

lol @ berlhalter telling them to not even bother putting the ball into the box with the last free kick

Yeah that was a real coward move. Wet fart of an end

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Reek posted:

waiting 4 years between the team throwing together ~30 minutes of looking like we know what we're doing in 180+ minutes of soccer is indeed boring tho

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Reek posted:

Probably wouldn't be as infuriating if they could have simply not poo poo their pants against Wales

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Fair play guys, you defended well and were good value for the point

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Dell_Zincht posted:

Fair play guys, you defended well and were good value for the point

Feels bad that they’ll be going home with 2 points, 1 goal and the memory of Pulisic standing over a free kick

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Everyone seems pretty let down, and I'm also a little frustrated by things like careless passing from Zimmerman and our relentless indifference in regards to scoring goals or attempting set pieces, BUT after a week of hearing how Saka and Sterling were going to torch our end and scream up and down the pitch for a dozen-goal win, I found it satisfying to watch Robinson FLYING all over to shut things down. And Tyler Adams, wow

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

1776, 1812, 1950, 2010, 2022

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Am I reading the table right? For Iran / USA the winner advances out of group?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ALFbrot posted:

Everyone seems pretty let down, and I'm also a little frustrated by things like careless passing from Zimmerman and our relentless indifference in regards to scoring goals or attempting set pieces, BUT after a week of hearing how Saka and Sterling were going to torch our end and scream up and down the pitch for a dozen-goal win, I found it satisfying to watch Robinson FLYING all over to shut things down. And Tyler Adams, wow

The blown lead against Wales sucks but all that would have gotten them is being able to advance with a draw. A loss vs Iran in that scenario still puts them out of the tournament most likely.

Nystral posted:

Yes if either win they advance no matter what. USA would be at 5 points so if England wins then they're in even if Wales wins the most Wales can get is 4. Iran is in with a win because 6 points.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Nystral posted:

Indeed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nystral posted:

Yea unless it’s a draw in which case Iran advance (unless somehow Wales beat England which will create an entirely new version of chaos but England will probably be fine on goal difference)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I hope Wales beats England just to confuse everyone

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yea unless it’s a draw in which case Iran advance (unless somehow Wales beat England which will create an entirely new version of chaos but England will probably be fine on goal difference)

Wales will have to beat England by 4 to advance with a US/Iran draw.

I can think of nothing more England than to come out of the box with a 6-2 win, then advance sheepishly into the quarters on the heel of a 3-0 loss to Wales

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
This should cover everything:

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
That goodness Gareth Southgate is a complete loving moron

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

ALFbrot posted:

Wales will have to beat England by 4 to advance with a US/Iran draw.

I can think of nothing more England than to come out of the box with a 6-2 win, then advance sheepishly into the quarters on the heel of a 3-0 loss to Wales

Wales would have to score like 8 goals to win the group, but not just to go through

If Iran and the USA draw and Wales beat England, then everyone is on 4 points except the USA (who go home in disgrace)

England currently have a goal difference of +4
Wales currently have a goal difference of -2
Iran currently have a goal difference of -2

Wales winning would put them ahead of Iran by right, but they would need to win by four to overtake England, which they would need to do if there's a winner in the Iran/USA game

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

whypick1 posted:

This should cover everything:

Wales and Iran advancing would have been so much easier with The Lebron James of Soccer just beating England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

I reckon England are a good 3 goals better than the U.S. but it's a funny old game. Until it's not :usa:
It was indeed a funny old game