Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

The Qatar national team, aka the freakin Maroons (this is real) will be contesting their first world cup, on home soil in this, the FIFA World Cup 2022 in Qatar brought to you live in Ultra HD by the blood of countless nameless thousands and the gifts of luxury watches and bags of cash.

The players

Before we go further, this is important

Now that that is established, lets meet the side

I have no idea if these are the right players in the picture but the full list of players is

Every single one of them plays in the Qatari Stars League, the national football league in Qatar. Al-Sadd is the dominant squad and has the best players and win everything all the time. Left Winger Akram Afif is supposedly the best player in the league and according to transfermarkt, he is worth a cool 4 million.

You'll notice I clicked on Abdelkarim Hassan. His name sounded a bit familiar and I discovered it was because he played in Europe for Belgian club KAS Eupen, as part of their ownership scheme by the same group that owns Paris St. Germain. One of the resident Belge posters mentioned him at some point and since that is what I have chosen to use valuable brain space on I remember it. Anyway I guess he wasn't that good because he's back in Qatar. All the other players I have no idea about because I've never heard of them, and I imagine neither have most of you.

The manager of Qatar is former (and I mean really former, like older than some of the posters here) Barcelona youth coach Felix Sanchez. He has been in the Qatar setup since 2006 moving his way up the senior mens side in 2017.

The History

Qatar was, according to FIFA and probably some other people, officially part of the UK until the 60's, when they founded their own federation and fielded their own team. Since the foundation of the team, they have steadily improved and actually have become a relatively ok side in their confederation in recent memory. The government has poured a lot of money in to this team and even has gone so far as to set up academies in other countries to promote themselves and the game.
During the last few tournament cycles, the Qatar national team of more than one sport has been accused of naturalizing too many players. The government countered this claim, which was egregiously true in the sport of handball, and kinda true in football, by setting up the Aspire Academy. This is the name the aforementioned academies go by around the world. The idea was to promote sport and culture, etc, etc, but the underlying accusation is that this was just a workaround way to get players from nations that have a bigger football culture in to the national side.

Going through the squad list shows that there are a lot of naturalized players, maybe a little over a third. There are players from Portugal, Algeria, Egypt, Iraq, Sudan and France in the side, maybe others since it's hard to find English language info on some of them. I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing, but the funnel of players in to the side is definitely aided by the government, something FIFA pretends is illegal as governments are not allowed to interfere with the football organizations of nations. It's notoriously difficult to gain citizenship in Qatar, so it's also quite a slap in the face to the many people who are working there under what is effectively a serfdom scheme.

The Trophies

Surprisingly, Qatar have won an international trophy in the past decade, which is more than quite a few sides participating in this tournament have done. They won the 2019 AFC Cup, the continental tournament for teams in Asia, beating traditionally good side Japan in the final.

They also participated in the 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup, the continental tournament for North America and the Caribbean. They placed a respectable 3rd in that tournament and I actually thought they weren't that bad. They were certainly up to the level of the tournament.

They didn't have to qualify for this tournament, obviously, so there is no heroic story of underdogs triumphing against all odds.

This Tournament

Qatar will be in group A along with Ecuador, Senegal and the Netherlands. They may have a chance for a point against Ecuador but even a Sadio Mane-less Senegal should beat them. The Netherlands will annihilate them.

Related threads

There's a lot to talk about with respect to Qatar and this tournament, so there are multiple threads that may interest you more than this one, since unless FIFA has rigged everything (entirely possible and not without precedent) the team will be out after their third match.

Thread for complaining about this farce of a tournament in general
The original FIFA corruption thread in general
Thread for unironic questions about the rules or traditions of football or really anything that seem insane about why things on the field are the way they are

Honorable mentions

We wouldnt be here without Sepp Blatter, so it's only right that we post the three most important things about him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVcOV55uzwU

Gigi Galli fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I hear they'll offer no quarter to their opponents :dadjoke:

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I legitimately forgot the home team automatically qualifies for the World Cup.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

blue footed boobie posted:

I legitimately forgot the home team automatically qualifies for the World Cup.

Ultimate "go opponents or giant meteor" situation, this.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I hope every match ends in a 8-0 thrashing against Qatar

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Vegetable posted:

No, go for broke. 80-0 thrashing.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

smh no mention of Sebastián Soria, Qatar's best ever player

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Vegetable posted:

I hope Ro-Ro scores a hattrick of own goals and I say his name in the Scooby Doo voice

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I wonder how much it would cost for them to advance. Would they need to pay FIFA or their opponents? Netherlands are probably too much to ask for but a nice second place with a tie from a Netherlands red card + penalty, Senegal tie and win vs Ecuador is doable I think.

But it is an interesting example of the answer to the question “can you pay for a good team?”

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Honestly I'm impressed they're all qatari. I assumed they'd have gone round paying fringe players to switch nationalities

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

builds character posted:

I wonder how much it would cost for them to advance. Would they need to pay FIFA or their opponents? Netherlands are probably too much to ask for but a nice second place with a tie from a Netherlands red card + penalty, Senegal tie and win vs Ecuador is doable I think.

But it is an interesting example of the answer to the question “can you pay for a good team?”

Ask South Korea much it cost them to make it to the semi final and multiply that by ten

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Honestly I'm impressed they're all qatari. I assumed they'd have gone round paying fringe players to switch nationalities

Ro-ro is Portuguese, almoez Ali is Sudanese, bassam al Rawi is Iraqi, there’s probably more. They just naturalise players with Arabic sounding names these days so no one notices as much

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Bogan Krkic posted:

Ro-ro is Portuguese, almoez Ali is Sudanese, bassam al Rawi is Iraqi, there’s probably more. They just naturalise players with Arabic sounding names these days so no one notices as much

Yeah as I was trolling through the sauad list I found quite a few names we (im assuming most of us in here) as westerners wouldn’t give a second look, but aren’t Qatari by birth at least. Something close to a third or more of the team is naturalized, usually through that Aspire Academy thing I mentioned in the OP. There’s a dude from France in there even.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I had Fifa 96 for the Sega Game Gear and Qatar was in that game for some reason. They were the worst team in the game by a good margin. Anyway that's about all I know about Qatar.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Imagine wasting all those batteries to play as qatar

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jose posted:

Imagine wasting all those batteries to play as qatar

Imagine wasting $200b to play as Qatar.

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

No, go for broke. 80-0 thrashing.

I hope this happens in both remaining games and the two top scorers celebrate by kissing in the centre circle.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

"You never had me, you never had Qatar!"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Qataren't

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Qa****.

sticksy