Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jillian poo poo posted:

I like how the man is covering his eyes because the sight of Batman’s grotesquely broken body is so traumatic but couldn’t care less that his son is looking directly at the mangled corpse six inches away

i mean he lives in gotham, there are probably school shootings by dudes in costumes like at least once a month. he needs to get used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
This genuinely sucks. Had he been ill for a while?

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

ChickenHeart posted:

This genuinely sucks. Had he been ill for a while?

Yeah. He was the best Batman.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Ooof this one hurts.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Toxic Mental posted:

What kind of cancer did he have?

Pancreas has to be the number one contender, since the only descriptor I’ve been able to find is ‘a short battle’. A high grade melanoma will eat you in no time flat, my second choice.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Wait, did I say Batman is dead? I meant to say Batman is gay. My mistake.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Toxic Mental posted:

Wait, did I say Batman is dead? I meant to say Batman is gay. My mistake.

actually today I did learn this about Kevin Conroy, had no idea

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
poo poo, this sucks. Best Batman, I cannot imagine a different voice. It was that stupid Gotham Knights game, must have jinxed him with that storyline.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ElectricSheep posted:

actually today I did learn this about Kevin Conroy, had no idea

Yeah he wrote a comic for DC pride month that detailed his growing up and how his rough childhood made him identify with Batman and how big an effect that had on his life

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Glad he got to play a live action Bruce Wayne at least, even if it was for a CW show.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/dcauwatchtower/status/1571160315743842306?t=Zc7qHbspWwvhh8O-eLtGAQ&s=19

Rip, best batnan

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
i kinda hate celebrity cult of personalities and "this person embodies this role" but kevin conroy seemed like a real one to me and i think he did bring a lot of small joy to people as batman as well as tried to help his fellow man as a human being. my dude really knocked it out of the park as batman and i don't know that anyone can follow him.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

This is incredibly sad to me. His performance really elevated what the standard was in animated superhero stuff. That entire show really did, its insane how good all of the voices were, along with the music and visual style. The chemistry he had with Mark Hamill was incredible and still really on another level to nearly all animated shows. He had this strange subtle sadness to his batman that really worked.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Toxic Mental posted:

What kind of cancer did he have?

Bat-cancer, in a pouch on his belt

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I appreciate the man’s talent, but his Batman always felt too sanitized. Boyscout Batman is just so boring, we don’t need another Superman.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Have a dream featuring Batman. Wake up to learn Kevin Conroy is dead. Spooky.

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

super sweet best pal posted:

Have a dream featuring Batman. Wake up to learn Kevin Conroy is dead. Spooky.

You killed him

This is all your fault

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah he wrote a comic for DC pride month that detailed his growing up and how his rough childhood made him identify with Batman and how big an effect that had on his life

Which has to be inspiring for a lot of gay kids knowing that a member of the LGBT community was the goddamned Batman.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nuts and Gum posted:

I appreciate the man’s talent, but his Batman always felt too sanitized. Boyscout Batman is just so boring, we don’t need another Superman.

sigher posted:

What the gently caress.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
And ow, a-woo, ow, a-woo, ow, a-woo
Why-ee-I-ee-I-ee, yeah
Why-ee-I-ee-I-I
Why-ee-I-ee-I-ee, yeah
Why-ee-I-ee-I-I
Doesn't anybody ever know?
That the world's a subway, subway, I
Doesn't any, any, any, any, any
That the world's a subway, subway

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
RIP to my definitive Batman.

Shinjobi posted:

Joker sends his regards
I know you jest, but the Joker does...

quote:

Mark Hamill, who played Conroy’s onscreen rival the Joker, remembered the actor as one of his “favorite people on the planet.”

“Kevin was perfection,” recalled Hamill. “He was one of my favorite people on the planet, and I loved him like a brother. He truly cared for the people around him – his decency shone through everything he did. Every time I saw him or spoke with him, my spirits were elevated.”
https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-news/kevin-conroy-vocie-batman-dead-obituary-1234629452/

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

https://imgur.io/a/vuvJviw/ Pro loving click.

This definitely hits me about as hard as when George Carlin died. I loved Kevin Conroy.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Nuts and Gum posted:

Batman is an inherently moral character. The whole "I have to hold myself to a standard, I must have lines that I will never cross or I will fall into the abyss" thing should either be central, or shouldn't exist at all. A Batman who just casually goes around murdering (or, at best, permanently crippling) people but mutters "Good thing I used a non-lethal explosive" and "Luckily I used Bat Detecting to know that building would be empty ahead of time" is idiotic. It is extra dumb because the various MurderBatmen still get all angsty about "the line" when faced with a named villain.

If your Batman wouldn't comfort a crying child, you do not have a Batman. You have a writer who wants to write the Punisher but got stuck working on a DC project.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Idk superheroes are just stand-ins for cops

Too bad for the dead guy tho

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Batman is an inherently moral character. The whole "I have to hold myself to a standard, I must have lines that I will never cross or I will fall into the abyss" thing should either be central, or shouldn't exist at all. A Batman who just casually goes around murdering (or, at best, permanently crippling) people but mutters "Good thing I used a non-lethal explosive" and "Luckily I used Bat Detecting to know that building would be empty ahead of time" is idiotic. It is extra dumb because the various MurderBatmen still get all angsty about "the line" when faced with a named villain.

If your Batman wouldn't comfort a crying child, you do not have a Batman. You have a writer who wants to write the Punisher but got stuck working on a DC project.

All I’m saying is he doesn’t have to be Danny tanner.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

In a world where everyone turns out to be assholes sooner or later, blessed as well.

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

To me he was the "default" Batman, not that I didn't love a lot of the other versions, both animated and live action. But I always felt like other versions of Batman were defined relative to the Conroy version. If that makes sense.

Yeah, probably has a lot to do with when you saw the animated series - I'm not even much of a batman fan - but as far as men in black rubber and parental issues go, I prefer Kevin over anyone.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

To me he was the "default" Batman, not that I didn't love a lot of the other versions, both animated and live action. But I always felt like other versions of Batman were defined relative to the Conroy version. If that makes sense.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with other versions existing and I even think that Conroy might've been a bit overused over the decades (I mean, variety is the spice of life), but well, check the avatar. The DCAU defined DC heroes for a generation, and Conroy defined Batman. And by all accounts he was a wonderful, warm, caring person IRL, what a tragedy. Cancer is a motherfucker.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Sucks.

Batman: TAS is probably the greatest animated superhero series ever created and I’m gonna have to give it a rewatch for old time’s sake.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Bat-cancer, in a pouch on his belt
Some days, you just can't get rid of a tumor.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He did a voice for some gps service as Batman, and I’ll always be sad it didn’t include him saying “McGinnis, get out of there—NOW!” An extremely wasted opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

:rip: