Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Content Warning: :siren: MAJOR SPOILERS! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK :siren: animal abuse, blood and other disturbing imagery, child abuse, death of a child, drowning/aquaphobia, spider imagery, suicide.

This is one of the best games of all time. I do not say that lightly.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a minimalist action/adventure game originally released for Xbox 360 in 2013, and has since been ported to all major platforms. It was developed by Starbreeze Studios and directed by Lebanese-Swedish independent filmmaker (and vocal critic of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences) Josef Fares.

In some ways, Brothers is a spiritual predecessor to Josef Fares' later co-op games, A Way Out and It Takes Two, developed by Hazelight Studios with much of the same creative talent as Brothers. One player controls both brothers at the same time: the elder brother with the left stick and LT, the younger with the right stick and RT. Things get complicated when you have to navigate both brothers at the same time through different areas, but it's surprisingly natural once you get the hang of it. This game is also quite short, ending where it needs to and never overstaying its welcome.

The story is simple and deliberately vague. After their father falls ill, the titular brothers set out to retrieve the Water of Life, which will heal their father's wounds. Where are they? What year is it? What is the name of their village? It doesn't matter; the game's story carries itself through pantomime and vocal grunts, doing so brilliantly.

Joining me as always is pdPreciousRoy, who of course is going in blind. This will be a 100% LP (there's no collectibles, but you can get every achievement in one playthrough) and I will do my best to show off as much of it as I can. I will try to have updates every Saturday going forward. As usual, please use spoiler tags if you absolutely have to talk about something from later in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

VIDEOS

Full Playlist

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 30, 2022

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Imagine going from making this to making YIIK.

It begins :smith:

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Sum Gai posted:

The maker of YIIK made a previous game, Two Brothers, that also came out in 2013. Other than the similar name it has no connection to this one I'm aware of.

There are some unintended thematic connections between the games, but that’s getting into spoiler territory.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Flair posted:

I feel like the connections would be exist nonetheless because of the similar titles, but I am in the dark here.

At some point the Allanson siblings, cofounders of Ackk Studios, were planning to remake Two Brothers in Unity, retitled Chromophore: The Two Brothers, specifically to avoid confusion with this very game.

That remake was announced in 2013 (some sources say 2012, a year before the original came out?! Not entirely sure what's going on there) but has yet to materialize as of this writing.

For those who are curious, timrod did a screenshot LP of Two Brothers on LPBeach.

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 13, 2022

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Don't worry, everyone. The little girl is okay.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

It's a neat trick of aesthetics generally meant for children's stories that with just a few careful lighting changes they can be transformed into something as scary as anything could be. That said I think today you could rightfully call that scene at the end far too openly manipulative. The symbolism is hardly lost on me and the use of the simple gameplay remains terrific but even in a genre built on coincidence stumbling into that is a heck of a thing.

In hindsight, the thing that really frustrates me about that setpiece is that it’s completely optional! Not only can you ignore him, it’s possible to miss the camera cue entirely.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

The final update is dropping tomorrow instead of Saturday, as I have New Year's plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

It's the final update, the emotional payoff to our story.

A reminder that there are content warnings in the description if you feel you need them.

My next LP will be of Disney Epic Mickey for the Nintendo Wii. Not sure when that thread will drop, but I'm super excited to get started on that one.