Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I do wish more games took the "single player co-op" concept and ran further with it. A Way Out and It Takes Two are fine, good, great (and I do specifically enjoy the twist at the end of A Way Out a great deal) but nothing as wholly unique as Two Brothers was.

I've wondered occasionally if during development they experimented with having which control stick controls which brothers switch depending on which half of the screen they're on. There was more than a few occasions where Little Brother was on the left side of the screen or Big Brother was on the right and I kept trying to use the opposite stick to control them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm not afraid of water but I feel like I'd have something to say about a troll carrying me down into that pit.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I swear you could catch a fish in that pond. Or maybe I just tried for way too long.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's a neat trick of aesthetics generally meant for children's stories that with just a few careful lighting changes they can be transformed into something as scary as anything could be. That said I think today you could rightfully call that scene at the end far too openly manipulative. The symbolism is hardly lost on me and the use of the simple gameplay remains terrific but even in a genre built on coincidence stumbling into that is a heck of a thing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hey kids, wanna see a dead body?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm definitely reminded of A Plague Tale as I see this part of the game again, though obviously Brothers came way before. You've got an older sibling with their younger sibling in a medieval time period on a world spanning journey to cure a deadly disease and along the way there are many obstacles and puzzles and a whole lot of gore for something involving children. Not quite as many rats in Brothers though. I posted earlier that I was surprised that others didn't take up the "single player co-op" genre but now that I think about it A Plague Tale certainly took up the themes and aesthetics.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

What a stroke of luck the probably-yeti is invisible, makes things so much easier on the developer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dang kid, you dug a 3 foot grave in solid rock with your bare hands. Next time just punch your problems away, you're dark ages Luke Cage.

So I think its a rare thing that video games do tragedy well because it almost always come on the heel on some fairly typical video game things - such as fighting a giant spider - or immediately goes into some video game things - the beginning of Mass Effect 3 comes to mind. And forcing the younger brother to bury the older brother honestly almost comes off as absurd in a "Oh my god you're making me do this [small chuckle]" kind of way, its a bit too much. But as mentioned before engaging with mechanics is something games can do uniquely and simply pressing a button attached to a character no longer there came across far more meaningfully than any number of bodies needing to be dragged.