Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I like the concept of multitools, but mostly they're "a bad screwdriver that won't fit where you need a screwdriver, and a blunt knife", or similar, like the tools aren't fit for the purpose of the tool. I really like the idea of these one-piece "snowflake" tools I've seen recently, but I realize that the hex-wrench part can only be used on open-ended hex nuts, and I can't even remember a time when I've wanted to turn a nut that has been approachable from that angle.

Probably the most useful multitool I've had was one of those that folds out and has needle-nosed pliers. The rest of the tool was never useful, but for some reason I can never find needle-nosed pliers that I know I own, but I can find a multitool, so this one is useful. Competitive with that is one I had that included tweezers, for much the same reason, but also in that case tweezers are a tool you're likely to find yourself needing while you're not near your regular tweezers, so having some on a tool on a keychain is good.

Prior to that I had a multi-tool I made myself, which was a velcro-joined denim vambrace onto which was attached an actual screwdriver shaft, multiple screwdriver bits, a wristwatch face, a full sized regular pen, and some compact fold-up scissors. Every part of that thing saw some use, but on the down side it was ridiculous. And it was more like a "mini toolbox" than a real multitool, in that all the tools were removable, but I think that still counts. Being a wristwatch was the secret to that one being good, in that it meant I would have it with me even when a surprise need for a screwdriver occurred, versus the common multitool "lives in a drawer where you can't even find it" problem.

Tell tales of the best multitool you have owned and why it is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
the best multitool i ever had was a mediocre pocket knife with just one blade. i didn't care about it very much so i abused it by using it for all kinds of blade-wrecking stuff. it turns out that having just one mediocre blade is much more useful than having an assortment of lovely random tools that fold awkwardly out from a misshapen metal robot turd.

the best multi tool that i have ever seen was made by a friend who had access to a machine shop. he made a screwdriver that converted into like a wrench and some other stuff but it's main purpose was that you could turn it into a ONE HIT WEED PIPE

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
as a middle aged white heterosexual man, i am very interested in multitools and wool socks

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Dr. Honked posted:

the best multi tool that i have ever seen was made by a friend who had access to a machine shop. he made a screwdriver that converted into like a wrench and some other stuff but it's main purpose was that you could turn it into a ONE HIT WEED PIPE
That's clever. I wonder if we are going to see a pattern of "the most useful multitools are home-made" continue!

I have a couple of other make-it-myself tools that I haven't made but would be more useful than the ones that exist, e.g. this thing but instead of having two fixed-size screwdriver heads one of which will stab you in the hand and make it not as low-profile as it should be, just having a hex-hole in the disc part so you can put any standard screwdriver heads in there. (Inspired by a bird cage that has screws you can't get at with a normal screwdriver because the bars get in the way.) Or a screwdriver set where each head inserts into the back of another head so you can connect them all together like lego and they store like a single screwdriver stem.

itry

So your favourite multitools are a tweezers holder and a needle-nosed pliers holder, OP? :v:

I like tools, multi or solitary. I have a decent screwdriver thing with dozens of heads that's kinda useful, in that it takes up less space than the alternative. Sometimes you need a really long screwdriver though, and it won't help with that.

Dr. Honked posted:

as a middle aged white heterosexual man, i am very interested in multitools and wool socks

I've been very interested in wool socks lately, but I already have a ton of socks and can't really justify buying more :(

Edit:

roomforthetuna posted:

a screwdriver set where each head inserts into the back of another head so you can connect them all together like lego and they store like a single screwdriver stem.

itry fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 13, 2022

roomforthetuna

itry posted:

So your favourite multitools are a tweezers holder and a needle-nosed pliers holder, OP? :v:
Yes, basically! Literally just tweezers in a tiny keyring case that they don't fall out of would be awesome. There's some credit-card-sized multitools that have a tweezers in that look tempting.

quote:

Yeah, that pen product was almost certainly a big part of the inspiration for the screwdriver idea. I'm sure there's a reason it's a bad idea!

idiotsavant
i work in an industry that is probably one of the best potential use cases for multi-tools and while a lot of other engineers use them i never bothered. like you say, it's never as good as having the actual, proper tool so you end up stripping screws and loving up cover plates and scraping up finishes. Eventually you use it to pry up a manhole cover or hammer a frozen valve open because you have it on you and don't wanna go get the proper tool and break off a screwdriver or knife or some other bit. much better to just have a few good tools in a tool pouch or bag. for my actual work i prefer to just use a small rolling work cart cause then i can bring a whole bunch of tools and a ladder and probably won't need to go walking back and forth for more tools that weren't in my bag.

idiotsavant

itry posted:

I like tools, multi or solitary. I have a decent screwdriver thing with dozens of heads that's kinda useful, in that it takes up less space than the alternative. Sometimes you need a really long screwdriver though, and it won't help with that.

I've been very interested in wool socks lately, but I already have a ton of socks and can't really justify buying more :(

Edit:

doesnt really work; you can already stack magnetic bit holders in a pinch and it gets wobbly and lovely. i do have an awesome stubby bit-holder screwdriver that has about 6 different 2" bits set into the handle tho that's pretty great.

oh, and an actual awesome tool is one of the little 4v electric drivers. they're like $20-40, have a surprising amount of torque, and are fantastic for small stuff like cover plates or doorknobs that an actual screwgun or impact driver would strip out

Finger Prince

I have a really nice Gerber multi tool with a decent interchangeable bit screwdriver, good pliers, sharp things, etc. I can't show you it because it lives under my motorcycle seat. It's come in handy a few times.
I have one of these on my keychain that is extremely useful for cutting open plastic packaging and tape and breaking down boxes, opening bottles, and I've even used it as a can opener, though it is pretty bad at it. Also a key feature is that it doesn't draw the attention of airport security and on the off chance it does, you just say it's a bottle opener and they let it slide.

roomforthetuna

Slightly off my own topic because it's a singletool but probably my most-used pocket tool was one of these:

I expect an airport stole them at some point, as was also the case for the last multitool I regularly carried.

Non Krampus Mentis

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous
when I was maybe 9, I was playing on the sidewalk outside my house and found a swiss army knife. it was exactly the right size—not too many fold-out tools but enough to feel ridiculously prepared for anything (one might have been a fish scaler?)—and it had a cool silver fish design on the handle.

it disappeared at some point in my college years and I still goddam miss it all the time

Gruß vom Krampus

:love: thank u deep dish peat moss for the sig :love:

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
leeloo dallas multitool

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

idiotsavant

Chewbecca posted:

leeloo dallas multitool

plaase halp

roomforthetuna

roomforthetuna posted:

Slightly off my own topic because it's a singletool but probably my most-used pocket tool was one of these:
Of course I *say* it's a singletool, but in modern multitool terms it's probably *at least* also a bottle-opener and inch-measurer or something, and maybe a prybar, and having a loop to go on a keyring is counted as another tool for sure.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

roomforthetuna posted:

bottle-opener

i misread that as BATTLE OPENER and i was all like WOAH HARDCORE

roomforthetuna

Dr. Honked posted:

i misread that as BATTLE OPENER and i was all like WOAH HARDCORE
A thing that struck me as surprising when thinking about multitools is how few multitools include a car windscreen breaking pointy-tip. The very day after I thought that, I got an ad for a USB charger (cigarette-lighter-hole type) that also has a seatbelt cutter and car windscreen breaking tip built in. Which is a pretty clever place to put one of those, I suppose!

(I think BATTLE OPENER just reminded me of this because it's a particularly violent tool, though also terrible for actual battling.)

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
the only function of a BATTLE OPENER is to start a battle, they don't need to be any good for actual battling.

Finger Prince

Dr. Honked posted:

the only function of a BATTLE OPENER is to start a battle, they don't need to be any good for actual battling.

It's just a device with a button and speaker that when pressed, announces to your adversaries "oi, yer mum's a slag! Wheeeeeyyy come on then!"

roomforthetuna

roomforthetuna posted:

Yes, basically! Literally just tweezers in a tiny keyring case that they don't fall out of would be awesome.
Apparently this is a product, "Sliver Gripper Uncle Bill's Key Chain Tweezers".

But to ruin the point, I realized I hardly ever actually carry my keys anywhere these days, so I would be better off with some sort of small tool organization system rather than keychain small tools. I suppose the keychain format could make that organization system "a nail".

Heather Papps

hello friend

leatherman

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Heather Papps

hello friend

this one: https://www.leatherman.com/en_CA/skeletool-18.html

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
I'm not a real man so I don't own one OP. no truck either :sissies:

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Heather Papps

hello friend

Areola Grande posted:

I'm not a real man so I don't own one OP. no truck either :sissies:

a bunch of years ago some idiot on a backroad was completely in the left hand lane, trying to turn left, and when i went to turn into that road i had to drastically pilot my truck away from both him and a ditch. when both our vehicles were settled i got out and this rear end in a top hat says "hope this isn't your good truck" and it takes every ounce of energy i had to not say "motherfucker this is my only truck"

anyways he gave me a bunch of dollars to buy a new bumper i ever did so anyways that's the memory this post triggered thanks for attending my tedtalk

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
trucked up if true

Shifty Nipples

I like this one a lot - https://www.leatherman.com/squirt-ps4-22.html

Thanks Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss

itry

roomforthetuna posted:

I expect an airport stole them at some point, as was also the case for the last multitool I regularly carried.

Pretty neat, ngl.

Chewbecca posted:

leeloo dallas multitool

:hmmyes:

roomforthetuna

Pliers and scissors is a good pair, even if the scissors are always gonna be a bit poo poo and break soon because of the spring.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

if i had one of those, i would tuck it into my wool sock

Chewbecca

I have never owned a multitool but I have lightly trolled a spanner set until it felt self conscious

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

roomforthetuna

Oh hey, the *worst* multitool is [political party X], and I just owned them in this sentence!

BounceBanana
It isn't the multi-tool like you're talking about, but this klein "screwdriver" has a lot of useful tools built into one package. It has freed up a decent bit of space in my tool bag at work. (industrial mechanic) https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/multi-bit-nut-drivers/multi-bit-screwdriver-nut-driver-10-1-heavy-duty

I have considered picking up a leatherman type of tool as well. I think it would take up the same amount of space as my folding knife while giving a bit more utility.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

BounceBanana posted:

It isn't the multi-tool like you're talking about, but this klein "screwdriver" has a lot of useful tools built into one package. It has freed up a decent bit of space in my tool bag at work. (industrial mechanic) https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/multi-bit-nut-drivers/multi-bit-screwdriver-nut-driver-10-1-heavy-duty

yarr it's drivin' me nuts

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.

BounceBanana posted:

I have considered picking up a leatherman type of tool as well. I think it would take up the same amount of space as my folding knife while giving a bit more utility.

Interchangeable Shaft was the best King Missile song

Shifty Nipples

roomforthetuna posted:

Pliers and scissors is a good pair, even if the scissors are always gonna be a bit poo poo and break soon because of the spring.

idk I think the rivet that holds the two halves together will break before the springy mechanism

Thanks Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss

Shifty Nipples

i also have a leatherman "micra" that was given to me like twenty-five years ago but i hosed up the scissors when i was 12 or something by trying to cut tree branches with them

roomforthetuna

BounceBanana posted:

Yeah, we have a pretty good multi-head interchangeable-shaft ratcheting screwdriver as well. It has five shafts and I don't even understand how two of them work, and a third is nominally bendy for corner action but in practice only bends by like 5 degrees so it's useless too, so it's really just a long and short shaft WHICH IS FINE. Then it has a little box of screwdriver bits and another little box of hex-nut-heads. Kobalt is the brand I think. Did not expect much of it, but it's been a long-lived and often-used screwdriver.

Another good tool, on the not really a multitool but a pocket tool genre, is a chainsaw that is literally just the chain part of a chainsaw with a strap at each end. You put it around a branch then alternate pulling the two straps, and it goes through a branch pretty fast without having to gently caress around with fuel or wires or whatever. If you wanted to cut a whole tree or a lot of wood it's not the tool for that, but for "this branch is putting my car in danger" sort of one-branch-that's-too-fat-for-loppers situations it's very cool.

FutonForensic

i'm considering this a multitool don't @ me

alnilam

I've carried a swiss army knife in my pocket for ages and I use the hell out of almost every tool in it

Big knife reserved for food only unless rare cases where small knife won't suffice for non food things
Small knife for packaging etc, occasionally falls short for cutting thick rope (see above)
Scissors all the damb time incl cutting my nails any time i think of it
Bottle opener for beer and flat head screwdriver on its tip
Can opener for cans while camping, and phillips head screws on the tip
Corkscrew for wine while traveling

The only thing i don't use much is the leather punch but I do occasionally use it for heavy poking or prying, and have 4 times used it to actually punch leather, 2 of which were while out and about

The only thing i wish it had was tweezers (only the much bigger swiss knives have that and they are bigger than i want for every day in my pocket) and pliers (would be way bigger and totally different)

Oh on my bike i keep a crank brothers multitool (one with a chain breaker), which together with a tiny adjustable wrench and a patch kit will get me back on the road in 95% of cases

Chewbecca

FutonForensic posted:

i'm considering this a multitool don't @ me

I will @ you and you will take it :evilbuddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

you, op

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BigClutteredJoey-mobile.mp4
thank u vanisher for the sig
and thank u nesamdoom for the good loops