Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

What are the best sidecars? What's the coolest sidecar you've ever seen? Do you have a sidecar? Does it make driving difficult? Have you ridden in one? Can I ride in yours?

Tell me about sidecars! :woof:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Delicious and refreshing on a hot day, though I don't often have the ingredients on hand. I normally wind up making mimosas with OJ. What is your favorite sidecar cognac?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I saw this extremely good boy and his/her owner last September. Unsure if the dogs name is Sahara or if that’s the brand of sidecar

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I'm guessing that's just the "trim" of the Ural, which are insanely expensive somehow.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

That dog looks embarrassed, I'd check the ural pad

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Toe Rag posted:

I'm guessing that's just the "trim" of the Ural, which are insanely expensive somehow.

Huh, I assumed ural of all companies wouldn’t be doing trim levels.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
you'd think it'd just be "do you want 2WD or not" but no, there are a ton of different models/trims

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
ural special editions that have made me happy:

ural x pendleton woolen mills - it came with a blanket and was painted like the blanket

ural x atomflot nuclear icebreaker fleet - it came with an oar

ural UAV - it came with a video quadcopter and a wind sock

ural special editions that made me cringe:

james bond horny edition - it came with a ruslish lady name painted on it

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I have a friend who tells me she'll only go for a ride if I get a sidecar, despite my insistence that it makes the bike more unsafe and difficult to ride. But that prompted me to look into it, and I'm really surprised by two things:

1) Almost no major motorcycle manufacturers have a bike with a sidecar
2) There is almost no aftermarket for adding sidecars without doing a bunch of custom work

It's really weird. I get that they kinda ruin the motorcycling experience, but it's odd the entire sidecar industry just kinda disappeared.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Strife posted:

I have a friend who tells me she'll only go for a ride if I get a sidecar, despite my insistence that it makes the bike more unsafe and difficult to ride.

What if you had two on either side to balance things out?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats just a catamaran at that point

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
There are probably pics of my sidecar rig in the bike pics thread, but since we have a dedicated hack thread now I'll put one here.

Couple of years back I got it into my head that I wanted a sidecar so I could take my dogs out with me when I ride. I've ridden fixed sidecars and am not a fan, so I special ordered a leaning sidecar from Germany, and actually bought the GS to pull it (dude who made the sidecar wouldn't ship a rig for any other kind of bike).

Took two years for the drat thing to show up, and it turns out 1) my dogs aren't really fans of having a motorcycle lean over into them and 2) even though it's a leaning rig it's still a pain in the rear end to ride compared to just a bike. The wife likes it though, and little kids always want to go for a ride (our cousin's daughter threw a poo poo fit until I took her around the block in it). I've never been on it without having people on the street smile and wave and it's good for grocery runs and just hauling stuff around in general.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 16, 2022

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Ever watch sidecar racing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SltqgZrPXt8

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sidecar racing is bananas, and they have it a lot at Road America so I wind up accidentally watching a lot of sidecar racing. It really is nuts how much trust the sidecar guy puts in the rider, they are just hung way out there.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Thats just a catamaran at that point

Hear me out, Waterworld, but on land. Instead of searching for land they're searching for water. And yet somehow there's gasoline everywhere.

Wait poo poo I think I just invented Mad Max.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Did Max have an extra pair of lungs behind his ears

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jazzzzz posted:

There are probably pics of my sidecar rig in the bike pics thread, but since we have a dedicated hack thread now I'll put one here.

Couple of years back I got it into my head that I wanted a sidecar so I could take my dogs out with me when I ride. I've ridden fixed sidecars and am not a fan, so I special ordered a leaning sidecar from Germany, and actually bought the GS to pull it (dude who made the sidecar wouldn't ship a rig for any other kind of bike).

Took two years for the drat thing to show up, and it turns out 1) my dogs aren't really fans of having a motorcycle lean over into them and 2) even though it's a leaning rig it's still a pain in the rear end to ride compared to just a bike. The wife likes it though, and little kids always want to go for a ride (our cousin's daughter threw a poo poo fit until I took her around the block in it). I've never been on it without having people on the street smile and wave and it's good for grocery runs and just hauling stuff around in general.

Have you yourself ridden in it yet?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Shadow0 posted:

Have you yourself ridden in it yet?

not in the sidecar, no. I don't have any family or friends that ride, so no opportunity to see what it's like as a passenger

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jazzzzz posted:

not in the sidecar, no. I don't have any family or friends that ride, so no opportunity to see what it's like as a passenger

With a sophisticated system of pullies and levers, I think you can pull it off.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just get the bike rolling, hop into the sidecar and you have gas brake and steering all from the right hand bar

You’ll have to stall to a stop but some things are worth the effort.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Jokes aside that's a leaning rig, not fixed, so if I get off the bike I gotta hold it up or it falls over. I tried letting it gently tip over onto the sidecar in the garage - there's a bump stop that catches the right side head to keep the bike from just smashing into the tub- and once it got past 20 or 30 degrees of lean or so I couldn't keep it from going all the way down. Getting it back upright was a real bitch

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Strife posted:

I have a friend who tells me she'll only go for a ride if I get a sidecar, despite my insistence that it makes the bike more unsafe and difficult to ride. But that prompted me to look into it, and I'm really surprised by two things:

1) Almost no major motorcycle manufacturers have a bike with a sidecar
2) There is almost no aftermarket for adding sidecars without doing a bunch of custom work

It's really weird. I get that they kinda ruin the motorcycling experience, but it's odd the entire sidecar industry just kinda disappeared.

I think they primarily existed because of the way licensing/insurance worked in England - it was way cheaper/easier to have a motorcycle in the period between and after the World War(s), and a side car meant you could carry a bunch more without having to pay the licensing/tax etc. associated with a car. Not to mention they were on rationing into the 60s. As the years went on, though, cars took over and so the sidecar industry dried up.

Personally, I've always really wanted a CJ 750 (Chinese copy of the Russian copy of a BMW) with a sidecar, and I looked at one years ago, but as a 6'1", 260lb dude, my knees would be up around my ears and I'd feel like a bear on a circus bike.

Captain McAllister fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 19, 2022

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Dont let it idle in neutral on an incline while stopping to take a leak. That leads to hilarity with sidecars.

My brothers Jawa 350 with a velorex sidecar. Mostly used for winter fun. He had it for about 2 years and sold the bike on but kept the side car to remount to something Japanese some time in the future. Eastern block 2 stroke bikes are interesting, but not really up to modern standards of not having to fix poo poo on it all the time.

Fun for winter camping though, no issue to bring chainsaws and other tools.

I got a smaller velorex that I’m looking to mate with my Kawasaki gt550, but I’ve procrastinated bike wrench time away this year with my tenere being more broken than first thought. Didn’t get it ready for winter and not having a proper heated garage to work in is kinda stopping it now.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Nov 19, 2022

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

What timing! https://youtu.be/PNgYW5N95z8

https://twitter.com/zackcourts/status/1593987020149252097

FBS fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 19, 2022

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Forgive the double post but this just popped up on my feed and :hellyeah:

https://iconicmotorbikeauctions.com/auction/1982-suzuki-katana-with-sidecar/

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FBS posted:

Forgive the double post but this just popped up on my feed and :hellyeah:

https://iconicmotorbikeauctions.com/auction/1982-suzuki-katana-with-sidecar/

This looks really fancy. Now that I think about it, most sidecars don't have lights on them, right?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

He doesn't post a lot anymore but wasn't the Rev. Dr. building some kind of racing sidecar rig at one point?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Shadow0 posted:

This looks really fancy. Now that I think about it, most sidecars don't have lights on them, right?

they usually have turn signals/marker lights front and rear and a brake light, putting some sort of headlight/aux lighting on them isn't difficult

A lot of Hannigan's "modern" designs have faired headlamps similar to that Katana sidecar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Also important - sidecar motocross.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH-Cnd88yO4