Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Visual Novel Sports Club: A Group LP of Pyre

Hello LP subforum, it's been a long time since I've posted but I've got a new LP I'd like to share.

What is Pyre?

Pyre is Supergiant's third game, after Bastion and Transistor but before Hades. It is, in my opinion, their amazing sleeper hit that often gets slept on in favor of quicker, more well tuned games like Hades.

Pyre is a hybrid visual novel/sports RPG where you manage a team of athletes attempting to be the best ballers they can be. But a lot is at stake! Every participant is actually a prisoner of the Downside, a fantasy hellscape that sucks to live in, and all prisoners are exiled from a fantasy city known as the Commonwealth. Only the best ballers can be freed from the Downside, and to do that we must observe the sacred Rituals of the Rites!

What are the Rites?
The Rites are a combination of football/basketball played 3-on-3 with a goal for each team. The idea is to get the ball into the opponent's goal to do damage to their Pyre. The first team to snuff out the opposing team's Pyre wins, and the best teams are eligible to win their freedom! Or so we hear. Following the traditions of the Rites is paramount.

How Will This LP Work?
This is a group effort LP, inspired by Slowbeef's Visual Novel Book Club. In that series Slowbeef would gather several people blind on each visual novel game to talk about it in depth. For this LP I've gathered three blind players to go on the journey with me and talk about their experiences.

They are:

Minimatt
Ryyudo
TurboC

Each of us will have a similar but different road trip across the Downside that we'll discuss, and when it comes time to conduct the Rites we will view the highlights of everyone's game and do some sports commentary for the audience.

Couple of Rules for the Players Involved:
All games are final! No Restarts are allowed!
Any difficulty is allowed, and you can change diffculties at any time, but Normal difficulty is recommended for a first playthrough.

I will be playing on True Nightwings, the hardest difficulty and will discuss in detail what that means for me in the video.

Without further interruption, let's get going!

Episode One

https://youtu.be/N165ZOtL4c4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Episode List

Episode One Rites 1-3
Episode Two Rites 4-6
Episode Three Rites 7-8
Episode Four Rites 9-12
Episode Five Rites 13-16
Episode Six Rites 17-19
Episode Seven Rites 20-22

thevoiceofdog fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 2, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
i too agree that Wizard Basketball is an underappreciated game

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Hey, VoD! Glad to see you again!

Also, yeah - this game is good, but I would say the camera isn't that great - a number of times I wanted to get to the person nearest to the ball, and it was off-screen.

Colorred
Dec 26, 2012
Yeah, excited to see you back VoD! Always enjoy your let's plays.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Haven't played this one yet... liked Bastion and Transistor, but that this wasn't a beatemup/hacknslash gave me pause so i never picked it up. interested in seeing how it plays out.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Sally posted:

Haven't played this one yet... liked Bastion and Transistor, but that this wasn't a beatemup/hacknslash gave me pause so i never picked it up. interested in seeing how it plays out.

Yeah, I was reluctant to play it because of the sports game setting and... I suspect many people may have had that attitude too? Shame, really - it is a compelling story.

I do hope you've played Hades, tho.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

I do love the sports commentator vibe you've got going on. Feels like you're sitting in the booth with Mr. Snooty.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Samovar posted:

Yeah, I was reluctant to play it because of the sports game setting and... I suspect many people may have had that attitude too? Shame, really - it is a compelling story.

I do hope you've played Hades, tho.

no, not yet! Hades is one I do really, really want to play but i've so many other games and it hasn't seemed to drop below $20 yet, so...

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013
Never did actually finish Pyre myself, but it's a drat good game.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Sally posted:

no, not yet! Hades is one I do really, really want to play but i've so many other games and it hasn't seemed to drop below $20 yet, so...

Hades is the best supergiant game, and it's not close, and yes I've played them all

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I always figured Hades was just more full of stuff, it went on for longer, it was more consistently paced, it had maybe a better way of managing gradually escalating challenge, and all that stuff. But Pyre. Pyre is the one that stuck for me. It's got a magic to it. Even among the characteristically above-average works of Supergiant Games it is the standout.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Fedule posted:

I always figured Hades was just more full of stuff, it went on for longer, it was more consistently paced, it had maybe a better way of managing gradually escalating challenge, and all that stuff. But Pyre. Pyre is the one that stuck for me. It's got a magic to it. Even among the characteristically above-average works of Supergiant Games it is the standout.

The characters and the setting truly are unique and good.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I’ve beaten Bastion and Transistor but I couldn’t figure out how to play Pyre well so I gave up despite finding the setting and characters interesting. Hopefully I’ll be able to use some of the tactics you’ve showed off.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Hey y’all, sorry about the lack of updates, we’ve been having trouble finding a time to get together to record the next ep. Gonna try for this Sunday though so here’s hoping I can get ep2 out around Christmas time. Thanks everyone for waiting!

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Ayyyy SPORTSBALL

Good to see you do another traditional(?) LP and I'm really liking the SPORTS format you're going for here. I love supergiants output and the worlds they create but I have never picked up Pyre as I just don't think I'd stick with the game side of it.

But that's ok, in this life there are those who watch sportsball and there are those who live sportsball.

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 16, 2022

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Audio for the next ep is recorded and I’m making progress on the episode. Expect an upload this week :v:

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuztn7pT5CM

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I'm in favor of the mustache. It does make him look a little shifty, but he's missing a lot of personality without it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Nostalgamus posted:

I'm in favor of the mustache. It does make him look a little shifty, but he's missing a lot of personality without it.

Like shiftiness.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

For anyone not quite sure what's going on here, it's not quite a classic LP, but I'm into it. I actually kind of gave up on VNBC because as entertaining as the cast is, there's too little going on on the screen, and not nearly enough sports talk. And this delivers both in a similar format.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

Scaramouche posted:

For anyone not quite sure what's going on here, it's not quite a classic LP, but I'm into it. I actually kind of gave up on VNBC because as entertaining as the cast is, there's too little going on on the screen, and not nearly enough sports talk. And this delivers both in a similar format.

Yeah, kinda what I was going for. I wanted to highlight how goddamn fun this game’s gameplay can be. Originally I had slowbeef, Jim and Dvac from VNBC in mind for the LP but they were all quite busy. Glad I could find some pro esports people though I like how things are going so far.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
New episode, and the End of Season One!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNbi9M3R_eo

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Cool!

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I always forget how amazing the liberation rite music is, it absolutely hooked me from the first time I heard it, and every time I do I'm strongly tempted to pick it up and do another playthrough.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Can you permanently lose the liberation match? If yes presumably Ignarius disappears from future matches?

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
That’s correct, any team you lose the liberation match to gets removed from the rotation entirely. You will never see them again in the game. So if Iggy gets liberated the Tempers disappear.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
It's time for Season 2! This one's our biggest episode yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbMG_58tFpQ

Also need to actually, yknow, organize some poo poo in the OP. I have been a little neglectful tbh

edit: done, a basic episode list has been added.

thevoiceofdog fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 11, 2023

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

It's really amazing how they were able to make... Such a compelling story over fantasy basketball.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

That's certainly accelerating the pace of the seasons, though I guess mostly by compacting it down to the important bits now you already know how the world works.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Yup, once you’ve seen (most) of the world the game gets streamlined and a bit more SPORTS focused. Still plenty of plot points left to go though that’ll get drip fed to us between games.

And honestly, the most important plot thread we haven’t really gotten to yet :)

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Pyre loving rules, it's the best Supergiant game and the world rejected it BECAUSE THEY JUST DIDN'T GET IT MAAAAAN

Yeah NBA jam and a visual novel about outcast weirdos walking through The Worst Place is a weird sell but that's why it's NEAT. I was so disappointed initially when the follow-up was just a regular roguelite (though obviously Hades was cool in the end).

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Episode 5 is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43wDXgVNEUI

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rody One Half posted:

Pyre loving rules, it's the best Supergiant game and the world rejected it BECAUSE THEY JUST DIDN'T GET IT MAAAAAN

Yeah NBA jam and a visual novel about outcast weirdos walking through The Worst Place is a weird sell but that's why it's NEAT. I was so disappointed initially when the follow-up was just a regular roguelite (though obviously Hades was cool in the end).

it's way more fascinating than i thought it would be... i too initially wrote it off. wondering if it's on sale or if i just keep watching the LP though haha

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
It's oddly fitting that the updates only come around when the stars align, so to speak. It always gets me hyped up when an update does come out.

That last update had some pretty sweet moments too. Keep up the good work!

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
I have to apologize for the update schedule, a month (or longer!) between episodes is a bit much. But I like to give the participants time to record at their leisure, and it usually takes us a week or two to find a time to get together, and editing it takes another couple of weeks, etc etc. Wrangling four people in a consistent schedule is actually very challenging!

It's been a long time getting here but next update will start to get into endgame stuff. The LP will be coming to a close with the last few remaining Seasons, which are getting shorter. So maybe we'll be able to do updates slightly faster as we get towards the end?

Oh but the last episode will definitely be huge. Lot of final discussion about endings and stuff to be had.

AND

I had an idea for a bonus episode where we attempt to Parsec (remote play) and play some Verses Mode! Close out the LP by finding out who can 1v1 me! This might happen as a stream but I definitely want to attempt it, should be good for a laugh at the very least.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
I'm back from an unplanned hiatus! Life has been complicated lately. Nevertheless the show must go on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neWgzPbZUzo

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Good Volfred, good lore, good games. All the extra little bonus abilities really adding up.

Sapling seems very good, I guess unless it's a really open map.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Season Five is here! We're getting close to the end. Only a couple episodes remain!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRXA3x1jb3o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Wanted to apologize for the lack of updates the last couple months, a lot has happened. Health issues and scheduling issues are mostly to blame.

I have all the footage for the rest of the LP so from here on out it’s all editing and recording commentary with the crew. Currently trying to find a good time to meet to record the penultimate episode. Thank you everyone for bearing with me.