Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

It was merely eight and a half short years ago that the Dutch national team was coming off of a 3rd place World Cup finish, preceded by a runner-up at the Vuvuzela Cup 2010. The Dutch had established themselves as one of the powers not just in Europe, but in the entire World.

Then everyone got old and retired, and the whole program seemed to nose dive. They failed to qualify for Euro 2016 and WC 2018, but bounced back to qualify for Euro 20201 and win what as an admittedly weak group. From there they were taken out 2-0 in the round of 16 by a scrappy Czech Republic squad (also not helped by a second half red card). They then brought Louis Van Gaal back for another stint as manager, and since then they haven't lost (11-4-0), including wins over Belgium (2x), Wales (2x), Denmark, and Poland, all of whom will also be in Qatar.

Manager
Louis Van Gaal

(pictured, right)

One of the many recent punching bags at Old Trafford. The "Iron Tulip" has implemented a 5-3-2 formation with the national team, with two wing backs who get forward and support the attack.

The Squad

GOALKEEPERS: Justin Bijlow (Feyenoord), Andries Noppert (Heerenveen), Remko Pasveer (Ajax) - One of these guys is going to be starting in net, but it's not clear who as of yet.

DEFENDERS: Nathan Aké (Manchester City), Virgil van Dijk (Liverpool), Denzel Dumfries (Inter Milan), Jeremie Frimpong (Bayer Leverkusen), Matthijs de Ligt (Bayern Munich), Tyrell Malacia (Manchester United), Jurriën Timber (Ajax), Stefan de Vrij (Inter Milan), Daley Blind (Ajax) - Defense is the strength of this team, and if it holds up like it has recently, they will be tough to beat.

MIDFIELDERS: Steven Berghuis (Ajax), Frenkie de Jong (Barcelona), Davy Klaassen (Ajax), Teun Koopmeiners (Atalanta), Marten de Roon (Atalanta), Xavi Simons (PSV Eindhoven), Kenneth Taylor (Ajax) - de Jong sets the pace, everything goes through him.

FORWARDS: Steven Bergwijn (Ajax), Memphis Depay (Barcelona), Cody Gakpo (PSV), Vincent Janssen (Antwerp), Luuk de Jong (PSV), Noa Lang (Club Brugge), Wout Weghorst (Beşiktaş) - Memphis doesn't seem phased by his situation at Barca, and he will have to drive the counter attack, ideally so they don't wind up in any penalty shootouts.

The Dutch are expected to do well in this tournament and they have gotten a pretty favorable draw yet again, both in regards to their Group A company, and the teams they could potentially face from Group B and beyond. They are currently 12:1 to win the whole tournament, and if one of their keepers can step and solidify the back end, they have a real shot to do it.

Ace Jameson fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
On the one hand I trust in LvG. On the other I think we'll probably get out of the group and then crash out in hilarious fashion when whoever gets made starting goalkeeper cracks under the pressure and lets in some howlers.

Thanks for making the op AJ. Here goes nothing!

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
Vincent Janssen lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Elliptical Dick posted:

On the one hand I trust in LvG. On the other I think we'll probably get out of the group and then crash out in hilarious fashion when whoever gets made starting goalkeeper cracks under the pressure and lets in some howlers.

Thanks for making the op AJ. Here goes nothing!

Should've called up botman and now deserve to go out

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Defense looks great and attack looks pretty middling. Weird thing to be saying about the Dutch team. What’s their likely first XI?

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Jose posted:

Should've called up botman and now deserve to go out

Agreed, no idea why he's not in the squad.

Vegetable posted:

Defense looks great and attack looks pretty middling. Weird thing to be saying about the Dutch team. What’s their likely first XI?

I reckon something like this:

code:
                               Pasveer
          Timber/de Vrij        van Dijk      Aké
Dumfries                                                       Blind 
                     Koopmeiners        de Jong

Berghuis

Janssen/Depay        Gakpo

E: I suck with code tags.

Elliptical Dick fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 17, 2022

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.
I think we have the potential to lose another final folks, let’s gooooo!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I heard somewhere LvG is half-dead with cancer? Time for the Dutch to win one for the manager

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Time to win the group and the bottle it in like the r16 or QF

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

people are really excited about gakpo so expect him to completely disappear

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
stevie b is man transformed since escaping tottenham, hoping for great things from him

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Borsche69 posted:

people are really excited about gakpo so expect him to completely disappear

Gakpo is coming

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Nuclear Spoon posted:

stevie b is man transformed since escaping tottenham, hoping for great things from him

huis or wijn?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Sp*rs being mentioned already cover which Berg, op. Also he's been poo poo for Ajax, mr. Wijn, while the other one's actually quite good though rat-faced.

Not sure how I feel about our Orangemen at this poo poo tournament, but I can' t force myself to not watch this trainwreck.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Noppert in net, no Memphis up top

bratwurst massage
Jan 27, 2018
Hup

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

this

Kopitar
May 21, 2009
Hup Holland Hup

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Well that was disappointing

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
Holland looked like they couldn't be arsed

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

1 shot all game. i mean it was a goal, but this is some really sad stuff

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

In Dutch media the players are saying they’re “better against the stronger teams”. Guess we’ll find out. Maybe.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Adhemar posted:

In Dutch media the players are saying they’re “better against the stronger teams”. Guess we’ll find out. Maybe.

They do seem set up to hit teams on the counter rather than have to break them down so there's probably something to that.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

You’re right, and defense looks solid. Just hoping they can show some improvement on possession.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

They do seem set up to hit teams on the counter rather than have to break them down so there's probably something to that.

This is true, but NL were exceptionally weak in possession in this match and the defense was shaky to9 against a team that's not exactly renowned for its attacking prowess. This coming after a performance against Senegal which was very similar. I don't think it bodes well for their chances in the knockout rounds.

This group of players is roughly the same as last year's Euros and I'm sure you remember how that turned out.

Adhemar posted:

You’re right, and defense looks solid. Just hoping they can show some improvement on possession.

I have to say I don't exactly agree that the defense looks solid. Senegal and Ecuador were unable to capitalise on the mistakes that were made but they were there and stronger sides will rip this team apart if they don't improve.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Lookin forward to the penalty kicks after 120+ minutes of scoreless play

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

My grandparents came to the US from Gouda in Holland so now that the USA has been eliminated, I’m all in on Team Ned

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

the lazy passing and receiving continues, but man depay added a lot of pace and pressure and dumfries went insane. they gave up a lot of possession but there were long stretches where the us couldn't move the ball forward because they'd immediately get challenged and dispossessed.

while all the goals came on some really awful marking (dumfries had his hand up for like 5 minutes in the box lmao i was screaming at the tv) i do feel better about their ability to create chances.

if they could just clean up the real stupid poo poo (they are good for like three brainfarts a match atm. xBrainfarts) they could trick someone into thinking they're a decent team

anyway rooting hard for australia bc they wont beat argentina.

A Passing Feeling
Mar 18, 2009

Borsche69 posted:

the lazy passing and receiving continues, but man depay added a lot of pace and pressure and dumfries went insane. they gave up a lot of possession but there were long stretches where the us couldn't move the ball forward because they'd immediately get challenged and dispossessed.

while all the goals came on some really awful marking (dumfries had his hand up for like 5 minutes in the box lmao i was screaming at the tv) i do feel better about their ability to create chances.

if they could just clean up the real stupid poo poo (they are good for like three brainfarts a match atm. xBrainfarts) they could trick someone into thinking they're a decent team

anyway rooting hard for australia bc they wont beat argentina.

honestly i think dumfries has been the best player in the team for a while now. i love him.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

A Passing Feeling posted:

honestly i think dumfries has been the best player in the team for a while now. i love him.

He makes Depay look way better than he is, it's cool

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

I’m pretty unsophisticated at watching soccer but have rooted for the Dutch for a long time so am happy to see them back and doing well. Maybe someone smarter can tell me why I’m wrong but de Jong has looked great out there to me for a couple of games now, just every pass and touch exactly how it needs to be. He’s amazing. Love Gakpo and Dumfries too, this is a pretty fun team.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
https://twitter.com/jpw_nbcsports/status/1599133333178712064

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That wasn’t worth the wait

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/memphis/status/1599162018501513216
Now Memphis this isn’t bringing Lori back

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020