Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Learn html, css and enough Javascript to not get you fired!

gently caress everything else, it's a fools errand :yotj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

GOTO hell

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

Javascript is a weird language. Everything is dogshit, OP. hth.

Ftfy

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
I actually like C# :3:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I'm Crap posted:

More like C-Crap

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

The only worthwhile languages are JVM {Kotlin, Java, Groovy}, Python, or Golang

BRICKFACE
Apr 20, 2002

I BITE
wrong you should learn php

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Hed posted:

HTML peaked when they added the <marquee> tag imo

the humble blink tag is the unsung hero

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

I'm Crap posted:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i work for a big bank at the branch level and half my job is connecting the dots to get info from program A to program B for credit applications or whatever

no coding obviously, but its just none of the programs talk to each other so a lot of what i do is push virtual paper around

print out documents, email them to myself, upload them to a credit compliance program, etc

its hilarious, but its such a cluster gently caress on the backend, i literally use a DOS interface for a lot of it, and im decent at computers so i can use my abundance of spare time

TO POST :2bong:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I left a corporate programming job because i hated every fuckin second of it. God bless ya if you love it.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bad Purchase posted:

write your website in c and make users download a compiled binary

That would be cool if you had to recompile the website every time you wanted to make a post, and your font kerning pointers were bitch so you had to use punchcards to input posts, but the text delineation was such that you had to run trig tables to make a punchcard facsimile in the first place, and you loving realized wow I’m in hell for a reason. :v:

Sorry I’m a little edgy, just finished my dissertation on each buffers and wrote an hfx scripting framework. :sludgepal:

ClamdestineBoyster fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 18, 2022

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

numberoneposter posted:

i work for a big bank at the branch level and half my job is connecting the dots to get info from program A to program B for credit applications or whatever

no coding obviously, but its just none of the programs talk to each other so a lot of what i do is push virtual paper around

print out documents, email them to myself, upload them to a credit compliance program, etc

its hilarious, but its such a cluster gently caress on the backend, i literally use a DOS interface for a lot of it, and im decent at computers so i can use my abundance of spare time

TO POST :2bong:

drat sounds like a sweet gig.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Just steal the site design and code from an already existing one.

That's what everyone else does.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Smugworth posted:

The only worthwhile languages are JVM {Kotlin, Java, Groovy}, Python, or Golang

Lol just use hyperfont. Like:

hF://

or

HFX://

and tab between the editor and the portal.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Do embedded systems development, op

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
you can make websites from a Frontpage WYSIWYG you dingus

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Use squarespace

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
All the ECMA spec variants like Javascript are fine, you just have to realize that despite the C syntax they are functional languages. Modern Javascript will make a lot more sense if you figure out something like Scheme first. Also the secret about all the frameworks is that they all try do the same thing. Once you understand the thing, you just have find out how they implement the thing. The thing is trying to patch up the fact that the Document Object Model and browser event systems and HTTP and everything related to browsers suck an incredible amounts of rear end.

I'd recommend focusing on the server side when it comes to web development, poo poo is far more coherent over there.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

I'm Crap posted:

I prefer to call it Db myself

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

bring back frames

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The important thing to remember about web development is you need to get yourself a good web development hammer. Any good home hardware store should have one. Then if what your trying to do doesn't work hit your computer with the web development. If it still isn't working in there's nothing left of your computer worth hitting, wander over to the nearest server and repeat.

This usually solves all your problems. Or at least makes you feel better.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Web development is good, it is JavaScript that is poo poo. Achieve enlightenment by using plain html and css with no js. Render the pages server-side like god intended.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Rahu posted:

Web development is good, it is JavaScript that is poo poo. Achieve enlightenment by using plain html and css with no js. Render the pages server-side like god intended.

:hai:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Everything will be ok once HTML 6 7 8 9 10 comes along. Any decade now.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
HTML was a mistake. The internet going to GUI interfaces was a mistake. All websites should just be publicly accessible folders. Do you know how much simpler everything would be!!!!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

dr_rat posted:

HTML was a mistake. The internet going to GUI interfaces was a mistake. All websites should just be publicly accessible folders. Do you know how much simpler everything would be!!!!

What about the ads though? Gotta think about them ads.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

itry posted:

What about the ads though? Gotta think about them ads.

I think we can trust the users to open up and read ad1.txt and ad2.txt

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's no standards at our company and people just keep randomly importing different frameworks in different teams for gently caress's sake we use bootstrap styles why the hell did you just build pages with angular material components what the gently caress jesus we haven't had a lead developer for three years and nobody is actually controlling these assholes off on their own teams or maintaining any kind of coherency in this monolithic mess

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Pokémon GOTO the polls

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

dr_rat posted:

HTML was a mistake.

bring back rich desktop clients

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bad Purchase posted:

write your website in c and make users download a compiled binary

Well yeah that's just WASM. They didn't give WASM any DOM hooks so you still need to use JS to act as an intermediary though.

(Personally I think if they don't trust it with the DOM they should at least let you expose a special type of canvas buffer and mouse events on the canvas directly to WASM so you can just render what you want from the C code from scratch)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 18, 2022

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

dr_rat posted:

I think we can trust the users to open up and read ad1.txt and ad2.txt

You've piqued my curiosity :allears:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i miss having a garbage geocities site as a teenager, i should sign up at neocities and do that again

do they still have neighborhoods and webrings?

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

php stands for pretty happy programmer

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

No it stands for poo, herpes, (p)smegma

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
learn to code, become a website janitor u were meant to be

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yes it does OP, learn something else instead. Making a page for yourself is fun, dealing with a gazillion lovely frameworks and the disaster that is CSS is a nightmare.

I'm Crap posted:

Probably the least objectionable "modern" language

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Web development sucks but hiring vendors to maintain existing web infrastructure sucks too. Getting sites to work is hard enough without keeping them running after years of tech debt from junior devs that job hop / yeet every year (albeit rightfully so)

The internet was a mistake