Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Modern software development today is just replacing the old poo poo with the new poo poo that becomes the new old poo poo to be replaced by the new new poo poo and it never stops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nooner posted:

Just use WordPress lol

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Seaniqua posted:

you joke, but in TYOOL 2022 they are still everywhere

edit: oooooh this was the nerdiest edit I've ever loving seen

edit 2: pointing it out is nerdier than the edit itself. I am pagliacci

Just slice up that photoshop UI and import it into Dreamweaver. It's been awhile I guess I was thinking iframes. Who cares they both rule TABLES AND IFRAMES AHHH YEAH.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 19, 2022

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

It's fine OP, you just need to start with these three languages that are all named after a random handful of tiles pulled out of a scrabble bag. Please make sure that every other word you use to describe your work is some arcane acronym. Also you can just make up your own rules because as long as what you do works, your sloppy work will only be discovered after you leave for another job. Make sure to complain about both the old version of the thing, and the new version of the thing!!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Duck and Cover posted:

Just slice up that photoshop UI and import it into Dreamweaver. It's been awhile I guess I was thinking iframes. Who cares they both rule TABLES AND IFRAMES AHHH YEAH.

I don’t want these memories. The feelings they conjure are rancid and no good.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Just learn React. In my job hunting experience no one uses Angular or Vue.

Though once you finally learn React everyone will have moved onto something else like Svelte or Solid.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

The Merkinman posted:

Though once you finally learn React everyone will have moved onto something else like Svelte or Solid.

lol loving everyone in michigan who isn't pretending to be a silicon valley op uses angular

Big Butt Skinner
Apr 16, 2005

Blueprints of the dummy...
Notarized photos of you making the dummy...
And an alternate wording for the banner: "Buttzilla."

The Merkinman posted:

I'm a Vue dev. I got the job despite never having worked with Vue before (though I was well familiar with React). Not a single dev on our team had used Vue before working there.

So despite the fact that my company uses Vue, I will agree with you that no one uses Vue.

The Saxecutioner
Mar 4, 2010

A nimble little mouse!

EorayMel posted:

OP pray every day to the good Lord that he didn't make you deal with printers

Engineering degrees, multiple certs and a couple patents = "Hey, you look like IT. I can't print from this toaster" :suicide:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I don’t want these memories. The feelings they conjure are rancid and no good.

I know I know, terrible time when Dreamweaver wasn't a monthly fee. Just awful. Glad those times are over. Adobe must be suffering after the switch.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Merkinman posted:

I'm an angular dev, I prefer it but yeah nobody uses it.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Come to the wonderful world of being an SDET, where nobody really knows what you're doing, including yourself, and accept that you'll be building your own terrible frameworks to check the other peoples awful code does something approaching what its supposed to!

Experience the horror of starting a job to find out there are thousands of flaky Selenium tests (all selenium tests are flakey) that take hours/days to run!

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Become a ServiceNow developer OP , you won't regret it.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

WalletBeef posted:

Become a ServiceNow developer OP , you won't regret it.

You know there are rules against telling posters to kill themselves

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R

Kill All Cops posted:

learn to code, become a website janitor u were meant to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5esLZRdov8
^^ imagine the song says learn to code

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

bossy lady posted:

Do embedded systems development, op

Fuckin beat me to it. Firmware for lyfe. C ain't goin anywhere.

Might have to learn about oscilloscopes and poo poo tho

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Big Scary Owl posted:

Trying to learn this and there's just too much to learn and it's all an entangled mess. Like why the hell are there 300 JavaScript frameworks, what's wrong with you people?

They're all smoke and mirrors to try to hide the fact that Javascript is utter garbage which was cobbled together in someone's shed over a weekend and should have never been used for anything beyond adding a trail of sparkles to the mouse pointer.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

olives black posted:

bring back rich desktop clients

:haibrow:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Stoatbringer posted:

They're all smoke and mirrors to try to hide the fact that Javascript is utter garbage which was cobbled together in someone's shed over a weekend and should have never been used for anything beyond adding a trail of sparkles to the mouse pointer.

Also it didn't help that for an incredibly long time JavaScript was basically frozen with basic poo poo everyone wanted missing and being covered for by hacky libraries before they finally managed to start moving it forward again with ES5 in 2009.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
What exactly are frameworks and why is there endless slapfighting about them? And aren’t some (like Node) more performant than others but geared towards different tasks?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Node's not really a framework in the sense they're talking about, it's a platform (although it includes its own utility framework). It lets you run JavaScript in a non-browser context as a general scripting language.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 20, 2022

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
lol at people complaining about web development after IE is dead and gone

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Withnail posted:

That was the battle but it wasn't the war.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Withnail posted:

Safari is doing its best to assume IEs legacy.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

I still find old code with workarounds for IE6 poo poo in it when I'm doing legacy archaeology.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Just do what I used to do and write all your code on napkins from memory like some kind of loving weirdo, trust me.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Stoatbringer posted:

I still find old code with workarounds for IE6 poo poo in it when I'm doing legacy archaeology.

conditional comments. gross lol.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Well you just need to use this CSS style sheet to set everything to be the same.... ITS EASY AND MAKES TONS OF SENSE. loving JAckasses. AND YOU GOT RID OF THE BLINK TAG MOTGHER FUCKERJEOPWFHJAOKDPHKR?JQFWSKLJSRWKWFSJM.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Duck and Cover posted:

Well you just need to use this CSS style sheet to set everything to be the same.... ITS EASY AND MAKES TONS OF SENSE. loving JAckasses. AND YOU GOT RID OF THE BLINK TAG MOTGHER FUCKERJEOPWFHJAOKDPHKR?JQFWSKLJSRWKWFSJM.

eh, i get the blink tag being obsoleted. if you or the browser dev gently caress up then someone's having a seizure

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
Serious post: I’m a web developer making over $100k/year plus bonuses. Shits easy as hell considering all the HTML, CSS, and JS documentation you could ever need are on MDN. (You need to be using this resource if you aren’t already).

I don’t work with react personally. However I work with Angular (obviously HTML and SCSS included), Typescript, Express, and NestJS (typescript) daily and speaking candidly I would say I’m drat near close to being an expert in these. (NestJS not so much as my company is currently migrating our backend to this framework and I started working with it about a two months ago).

If you aren’t already: My advice if you really want to learn is to take a JS course on udemy then pick a framework and take course on that. I know there are lots of free learning resources out there but you can get most udemy courses for like $12 on sale. If you’re serious about it then the cost is worth it. A course will provide structure for your learning. Pick a course that has mini projects and “homework” built in to it and actually do it on your own first instead of skipping to the next chapter with the answers. While taking a course, I highly recommend trying to build something on your own using what you’ve learned as this will help ingrain the knowledge in your brain vs copying down what you see on the screen.

Watch Kevin Powells CSS YouTube channel to see actual good CSS.

DRY is the key to success.

If you have PMs OP feel free to send me a message if you get stuck on something

Edit: and no I’m not some fat nerd computer janitor, I only have this username because an admin changed it years ago and I just rolled with it

Huge Lady Pleaser fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 5, 2022

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
extend this argument to all software development for that matter

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

don't touch the stuff, but im more than happy to put in a ticket when their poo poo stops working

i don't make dev money but its remote

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I use C++ when working with Unreal Engine but for small projects/apps I make I like using C# because it enables me to be lazy.

Web development sucks balls (derogatory) and I don't like it.

Altho you can blow people's minds for any software development if you suggest they look for an established library before trying to write their own versions of every possible solved problem.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Speaking of sucking, looks like a chrome update caused our website to crash when it's opened in Chrome. Apparently it's reacting badly to some CSS code and makes the page crash and eat up all the ram if it keeps going. Well that's not on my table but I did check it for curiositys sake.

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

sudonim posted:

Might get to learn about oscilloscopes more like it

Combine embedded with reverse engineering and it’s a heap of fun

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

sudonim posted:

Are there systems that need C without the plus plus?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

K&R C was good.
Then ANSI C tidied it up a lot and made it generally nicer and more standardised.
Then C++ came along and added classes and objects which were pretty useful (I've seen people implement Objects in pure C and while it worked it was almost unreadable chains of pointers).
Then they started adding all sorts of extra stuff to C++ and made it an unnecessarily complicated shitstorm and it's all been downhill ever since.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
This thread made me want to take another crack at C. Have a C book from the mid 90s at home.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
learn angular because react is reddit poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
realpost though i support a wife, 3 kids, a mortgage, and a car loan writing dumb as gently caress angular code, but that being said i've been doing this horrible poo poo for like 10 years, so the point is it pays nice at the higher end