Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

The languages are fine .... it's the people that are poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yos... pos...

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

the language where the devs had to have their arms bent behind their back to add such a controversial feature as 'generics'. I can't wait to have to argue for 3 years the next time I want a feature that has been totally standard in every other language that's worth thinking about because someone wants to inject rigid philosophy into what is supposed to be a general purpose language.

no thx

Generics did take too long to make it in, but I appreciate the maintainers' efforts to keep the language small.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
There are too many programming languages. We need to remove, like, all but maybe six. Just stop using them. They're probably bad anyway.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Should have stopped at

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

I also hate web development and I've been doing it professionally since 2015

I would do literally anything else if it paid web development money

Python is fine though but don't build a web app in it

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

I would do literally anything else if it paid web development money
How many times do we have to say "embedded systems" ???

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

Python is fine though but don't build a web app in it
Serious question, you mean python for the server side stuff? Because I've messed with twister and tornado in Python and they seem all right but I am not a web person so I'm curious if/why they suck compared to other stuff.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

I was in charge of a Flask app for a while that drove me up a wall, it was way more of a headache to keep running correctly and to onboard other people on as opposed to all the lovely node apps I've cranked out. Honestly though Flask is fine, I'm being dramatic, because like everyone else who works with code on a regular basis, I love complaining.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
all dynamic languages eventually suck at scale

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

thathonkey posted:

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Most languages are bad but it takes like an hour or two to learn a new one, who cares

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Smugworth posted:

Should have stopped at

I’m actually with you on this and not just because of naming choices like GStrings. I’ve always been surprised it didn’t see wider adoption from Java devs.

Modern Java is also fine, still disgustingly verbose but I’m not convinced that’s a bad thing considering the Perl nightmares I have seen.

I don’t have anything to say about JS, it sucks but we’re stuck with it.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Python has type hints now, though

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

olives black posted:

Suck rear end

kaom posted:

I’m actually with you on this and not just because of naming choices like GStrings. I’ve always been surprised it didn’t see wider adoption from Java devs.

Modern Java is also fine, still disgustingly verbose but I’m not convinced that’s a bad thing considering the Perl nightmares I have seen.

I don’t have anything to say about JS, it sucks but we’re stuck with it.

I'm being sentimental, Kotlin does more than enough to fill the hole that Groovy left. But Groovy and Spock. :lovebird:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

thathonkey posted:

all languages suck

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I'm going to say something controversial....

Visual Basic is nice for developing windows applications

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Tarkus posted:

:getout:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Why would you not just use Visual C#? Really just same language better dialect.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

olives black posted:

i wish it was part of runtime rather than being a bolted in thing

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

MikeJF posted:

Why would you not just use Visual C#? Really just same language better dialect.

I agree. I use C/C++/C# often but when I make stuff for myself I'll use VB. I used to use VB all the way back from Visual Basic for DOS and VB4.0 back in the 90's so it's a comfort and a pleasure. But yes, VB and C# are structurally similar now.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Tarkus posted:

I agree. I use C/C++/C# often but when I make stuff for myself I'll use VB. I used to use VB all the way back from Visual Basic for DOS and VB4.0 back in the 90's so it's a comfort and a pleasure. But yes, VB and C# are structurally similar now.

:okboomer:

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

You're emitting very strong Small Cummies energy right now. Be better.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

:mad:

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

:)

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Tarkus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDD03yeLnU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tarkus posted:

More than structurally similar they're literally the same thing with different keywords. Stage one of compiling them both is converting them into the same intermediate.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Space Kablooey posted:

force mypy run on every check-in, fail the build if it returns errors, apply cattle prod to the developer responsible. bing bong so simple

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Space Kablooey posted:

Needs a type:strict preprocessor command.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Eh, C# is closer to Pascal.

Python tho, I had never looked at that until recently. Who the hell decided Logo should be a mainstream language. What the gently caress is wrong with everyone. It's a slow as poo poo. C++ with assembler is how everything should be. I will die on this hill. Probably.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

thathonkey posted:

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Guys, what if we split up this large application into dozens, nay, hundreds of microservices and containerise everything and hope the entire fragile house of cards somehow stays up all at the same time?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Stoatbringer posted:

Guys, what if we split up this large application into dozens, nay, hundreds of microservices and containerise everything and hope the entire fragile house of cards somehow stays up all at the same time?

Just gotta make sure it doesn't get bought by a mad narcissist who decides to start flipping off the microservices he doesn't like

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

I remember when web development first became the flavour of the month, many years ago. I thought at the time that was yet another passing fad.
It was clearly a massive step backwards in terms of speed of actually getting things done, maintainability, stability, ease of debugging, and almost everything else. It took so much longer to do anything at all.

Just adding a new field to a screen involved wiring through a dozen layers from the database, back-end code, server-side code, unit-tests all the way up, javascript, whichever random front-end framework that project had picked. And then spending days tweaking the CSS because someone had styled the page with floats so nothing lines up quite properly anymore and Internet Explorer has dropped into Quirks mode for some inexplicable reason.

Sadly, it was not a passing fad.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
C# is good, F# is better. Fable let's you write F# that compiles to React.

It makes web development tolerable.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

web development tolerable.

:mods:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

C# is good, F# is better. Fable let's you write F# that compiles to React.

It makes web development tolerable.

that sounds terrible

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Stoatbringer posted:

this but instead of REST let's use Kafka for service to service communication

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Ape Fist posted:

who is the guy who said blazor will kill js, lmao.

i will absolutely toxx myself with zero hesitation for blazor scratching any of the top 3 js frameworks in the next 5 years.

blazor will absolutely not loving kill js.

p.s. js owns die mad about it

wrong. blazor is going to become king of the web

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
distributed multi-region systems are a pain in the rear end but those are reasonable strategies (services, async communication, etc) for making them work and stay up its just that most things dont require that complex of a system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

olives black posted:

force mypy run on every check-in, fail the build if it returns errors, apply cattle prod to the developer responsible. bing bong so simple

Not happening in the 7yo Python codebase I work with