Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Computer viking posted:

New code, or trying to understand what was left behind by someone else? Perl seems like one of the languages where that makes an especially large difference.

There are dozens of ways to make the same bit of code incomprehensible!

And you will see them all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Hammerite posted:

also, it is going to destroy javascript and when it does, i will stan for it even harder

what are you talkng about

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

thathonkey posted:

who cares. js

New front end framework name

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Computer viking posted:

New code, or trying to understand what was left behind by someone else? Perl seems like one of the languages where that makes an especially large difference.

The latter, writing extensions for an existing platform. The person who built it in the first place is fortunately still around, but it's still a lot of code to go through at this point. Most fun part is trying to guess whether a given function will return an actual variable or a just reference, and being wrong every single time. :suicide:

jimmy mnemonic
Jan 9, 2007

Fun Shoe

Space Kablooey posted:

JSON is... okay? Fine, even? I don't really understand where it sucks, TBH.

In addition to not allowing comments, JSON sucks because it does not allow multi-line strings; carriage return and line feed characters have to be encoded as "\r" and "\n" literals. This makes (human) reading of long strings painful.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

thathonkey posted:

what are you talkng about

The future of web development, BLAZOR

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh yeah just shove the entire .net runtime into WASM

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WASM: we want native-ish code in browsers but we don't want it to be that viable so we're going to limit its interfaces so it's not actually that useful as a new way of coding the web unless you're writing a background crypto miner into your website.

At least let me write directly to a canvas buffer without the JS layer overhead or something jesus

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 8, 2022

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

bigperm posted:

:blessed:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

bigperm posted:

:yeah:

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
I think they're talking about proper 'native' WASM-DOM/Canvas/whatever interfaces in the next year or so? I don't really think WASM stuff is going to be super viable outside of niches until those are prevalent

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

jimmy mnemonic posted:

In addition to not allowing comments, JSON sucks because it does not allow multi-line strings; carriage return and line feed characters have to be encoded as "\r" and "\n" literals. This makes (human) reading of long strings painful.

I'll give you the no comments thing, but for the second thing you could get an editor or viewer that line breaks for you.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
im gonna make my own json replacement :goonsay:

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

thathonkey posted:

im gonna make my own json replacement :goonsay:

please god yes

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I can't wait to write a JsonConverter.java to convert the new JSON back to old JSON and keep on trucking :twisted:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

MikeJF posted:

Oh yeah just shove the entire .net runtime into WASM

i think i'd rather be dead, personally

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Zugzwang posted:

Finally started learning C++, so eventually I’ll be able to figure out if I agree with you, or if I should’ve just become a plumber.

C++ has a nice language but it also has lots of features from less nice languages. If you stick to the modern version of the language and don't try to write your own template code it's generally not that bad. If you can get away with just interacting with R then you only have to deal with Rcpp and that's not bad at all.

Computer viking posted:

I have some sort of impostor syndrome around programming. Not at work, where I'm easily the most competent guy in the department - but that's arguably part of the problem. I write scripts and one-off analysis code at a bioinformatics group, and basicslly nothing I write has a lifetime of more than a few months; most of it is only really used once or twice. The only long-running projects I have are some inventory tracking tools: a python+flask backend, a web frontend with a bit of React as an excuse to try that, and a small C++/Qt desktop program. None of them have needed a single line changed this year.

Yesterday I wrote about a hundred lines of ImageJ macro, and then another hundred lines or so of R to read the results, glue them together nicely, and make some pretty plots. That code will probably be used exactly once more for another set of samples. Tomorrow will probably be more R. Today is just busywork shipping files on USB disks to people and playing with the backup system.

Basically, I write a reasonable bit of code per week, but it's either alone or helping someone with what they've written for their research, and nothing is large or permanent. The upside is that it's nice - I skip most of the non-fun parts of modern development. The downside is that I feel really outside the mainstream, and I don't really have anyone to talk to about how I do what I do. When I run into people who are actually employed to contribute to a larger software project, I have very little to add.

I've been in both worlds and I definitely prefer the one you're describing.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

cum.com

that'll be $800

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

FutonForensic posted:

cum.com

that'll be $800

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Christ just use Rust instead of C++ if you are starting a new project. You won’t waste nearly as much time on all of that garbage tooling, name munging, and header file poo poo. “Modern C++” is horseshit, because it’s not like you can silo yourself off in that portion of the language and ecosystem if you’re doing anything nontrivial. Rust is actually quite popular at this point. FFI is easy enough as well.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

cat botherer posted:

Christ just use Rust instead of C++ if you are starting a new project. You won’t waste nearly as much time on all of that garbage tooling, name munging, and header file poo poo. “Modern C++” is horseshit, because it’s not like you can silo yourself off in that portion of the language and ecosystem if you’re doing anything nontrivial. Rust is actually quite popular at this point. FFI is easy enough as well.

what about golang

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I only make websites using hypercard.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

olives black posted:

what about golang
golang has garbage collection, so it isn’t quite as suited to some of the systems/numerical stuff, but there’s definitely a lot of overlap. Does it actually have generics now?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

cat botherer posted:

golang has garbage collection, so it isn’t quite as suited to some of the systems/numerical stuff, but there’s definitely a lot of overlap. Does it actually have generics now?

yep

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
if you can use go you probably should

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

olives black posted:

what about golang

the language where the devs had to have their arms bent behind their back to add such a controversial feature as 'generics'. I can't wait to have to argue for 3 years the next time I want a feature that has been totally standard in every other language that's worth thinking about because someone wants to inject rigid philosophy into what is supposed to be a general purpose language.

no thx

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 8, 2022

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

There is something to be said for a language that's designed for morons. I know everyone here is an excellent and smart programmer, but it can have its advantages in large projects or the ecosystem.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
At my job we work with big machines and don't touch computer at all and we hate all the brands of big machine in exactly the same way you all hate every programming language, this seems like it may be universal

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

cat botherer posted:

There is something to be said for a language that's designed for morons. I know everyone here is an excellent and smart programmer, but it can have its advantages in large projects or the ecosystem.

yeah thats the main benefit of go. if you write alone or on a smallish team of high talent devs great, you can probably make anything work for you. otherwise you want something simple enough for the avg programmer (which is an avg in decline if anything) that doesnt not enable them to gently caress things up too badly

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

thathonkey posted:

yeah thats the main benefit of go. if you write alone or on a smallish team of high talent devs great, you can probably make anything work for you. otherwise you want something simple enough for the avg programmer not gently caress things up too badly

isnt that called python?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

isnt that called python?

if you dont need static typing sure, python is great. but you probably do for any meaningfully large codebase

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I've been writing golang for ~2mos and it seems like I have to reinvent all the basic poo poo I had available in every other language I've written in but otherwise it's pretty ok and works most of the time unlike the unforgivable pile of heaping poo poo that is typescript

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

slurm posted:

At my job we work with big machines and don't touch computer at all and we hate all the brands of big machine in exactly the same way you all hate every programming language, this seems like it may be universal
Things in software are vastly more broken than in industry-industry. How things are here would be like if a mechanic was trying to change an oil filter, but there's like also a hole at the bottom of the oil filter (by design), and you have to put JB Weld in the hole to mostly seal it, and then you try to screw it in but the threads are all hosed up and irregular, so you kind of hammer it in and put some more JB weld on, so it kind of works, most of the time.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Smugworth posted:

I've been writing golang for ~2mos and it seems like I have to reinvent all the basic poo poo I had available in every other language I've written in but otherwise it's pretty ok and works most of the time unlike the unforgivable pile of heaping poo poo that is typescript

golang is pretty bad and it's maintainers are its worst enemy, but it's really hard to do worse then type/javascript which is so bad, i dont think you can pay me enough to ever touch it again.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

cat botherer posted:

Things in software are vastly more broken than in industry-industry. How things are here would be like if a mechanic was trying to change an oil filter, but there's like also a hole at the bottom of the oil filter (by design), and you have to put JB Weld in the hole to mostly seal it, and then you try to screw it in but the threads are all hosed up and irregular, so you kind of hammer it in and put some more JB weld on, so it kind of works, most of the time.

We live like this all the time! But usually it takes years of neglect and isn't just made that way on purpose, I see your point. But every day I feel like the pakled engineer

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I've been doing Advent of Code in Go and I like it. There just aren't that many choices for statically typed, garbage collected languages that compile to machine code and Go seems to be a good choice if that's the feature set you're looking for in a language.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm Crap posted:

I think they're talking about proper 'native' WASM-DOM/Canvas/whatever interfaces in the next year or so? I don't really think WASM stuff is going to be super viable outside of niches until those are prevalent

Do you know where I would find those planned subjects?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
what about scheme

scheme seems cool

you can even embed it in a C program with guile

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
who is the guy who said blazor will kill js, lmao.

i will absolutely toxx myself with zero hesitation for blazor scratching any of the top 3 js frameworks in the next 5 years.

blazor will absolutely not loving kill js.

p.s. js owns die mad about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Ape Fist posted:

who is the guy who said blazor will kill js, lmao.

i will absolutely toxx myself with zero hesitation for blazor scratching any of the top 3 js frameworks in the next 5 years.

blazor will absolutely not loving kill js.

p.s. js owns die mad about it

some unserious person. js is fine as any language, as we've established itt, theyre all poo poo