Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

They dug through his parents trash to get dna lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
LOL, all that planning and the goober left the knife sheath behind on a bed and didn't bother to cover the top half of his head. The sheath is really what fucks him, all the stuff about the car and cell phones don't put him in that house, but he slapped his DNA right down on the thing that housed the murder weapon.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

once again confirms criminologists don't know poo poo about crime

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

In my experience with true crime, the criminals who really take steps to cover for themselves and do so effectively are very rare. Everyone else is an idiot who either gets caught pretty quick or gets lucky by getting incompetent police investigating them.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anonymous Zebra posted:

LOL, all that planning and the goober left the knife sheath behind on a bed and didn't bother to cover the top half of his head. The sheath is really what fucks him, all the stuff about the car and cell phones don't put him in that house, but he slapped his DNA right down on the thing that housed the murder weapon.

He was cut and bled during the murders.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Murdstone posted:

In my experience with true crime, the criminals who really take steps to cover for themselves and do so effectively are very rare. Everyone else is an idiot who either gets caught pretty quick or gets lucky by getting incompetent police investigating them.

So what you are saying is that planning and executing multiple homicide is stupid?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think the zeitgeist of serial murders has been moving to the mass murdering in recent year is because how cheap it is put a camera outside of your house 247.

This is especially the case in place like China where the detectives can freely use cellphone base station data to fine comb the movement of the individual cellphones during the time of murder, and also there is no anonymous prepaid sims. Also rise of DNA analysis can nail down individuals much more precise than blood types.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

So what you are saying is that planning and executing multiple homicide is stupid?
I guess what I'm saying is if you are considering a multiple homicide, you probably aren't as smart as you think you are.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I don't know if anyone is still following this but an article just came out saying the dude was "fired as a teaching assistant" because of a sexist attitude toward women and arguing with his professors. Apparently this went down in October and after "failing to meet expectations" he was "fired" at the end of the semester.

What this means is he hosed up so bad his first semester they were kicking him out of grad school. His career in criminology was done. From a grad student/academia perspective this is a completely catastrophic gently caress up. I gotta imagine this factored into what he did.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Sounds like a one-off Batman villain origin story. "Fire me from the criminology department? I'll show them criminology!"

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Remember that neuroscience phd student that shot up that theater in Colorado during The Dark Knight? Apparently he had recently failed his comprehensive exams

Not saying there is a connection between failing grad school and becoming a murderer, but...

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Perceived loss of status is behind many spree killings and family annihilators is a thing a podcast said in my ear once.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I still think you don't randomly find a house and kill 3-4 people, you probably have done it before.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dude studied other serial killers/the blade.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

One thing I missed: apparently he had his cell phone on him so the investigators were able to track that he was in that area at that time. He is not a smooth criminal.

Why would you have your cell phone on you lol no wonder he was getting kicked out of grad school

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

I still think you don't randomly find a house and kill 3-4 people, you probably have done it before.

There's a first time for everything!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Mulaney Power Move posted:

One thing I missed: apparently he had his cell phone on him so the investigators were able to track that he was in that area at that time. He is not a smooth criminal.

Why would you have your cell phone on you lol no wonder he was getting kicked out of grad school

Is "tracking cellphone tower history fingerprint" allowed in every state? I have heard about it being done in Chinese detective cases; I didn't know it's common in America.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Mulaney Power Move posted:

He had it on airplane mode but turned it off when he was close to home. The theory is he had with him to take pictures

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Is "tracking cellphone tower history fingerprint" allowed in every state? I have heard about it being done in Chinese detective cases; I didn't know it's common in America.

Pretty sure it is? It crops up a ton, but I can think of two cases of the top of my head where it led to charges in Missouri and South Carolina.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I liked this VF article. I think they hit the right balance between talking about the victims and the suspect.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2023/02/idaho-murders-victims-alleged-killer

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They should talk about the killer like "this guy was a big fat dumbass nerd who was clearly lashing out because of his tiny peen" to dissuade copycats

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

ProperCoochie posted:

He had it on airplane mode but turned it off when he was close to home. The theory is he had with him to take pictures

This guy definitely flunked out of his first methodology courser. It's all becoming clearer.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Milo and POTUS posted:

They should talk about the killer like "this guy was a big fat dumbass nerd who was clearly lashing out because of his tiny peen" to dissuade copycats
This is literally true regarding the Golden State Killer.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Sorry to bump this old rear end thread, but new developments in the case.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/25/us/idaho-student-killings-kohberger-alibi/index.html

quote:

Bryan Kohberger’s attorneys suggest they’ll present evidence that he was elsewhere during the killings of 4 Idaho students

The defense has officially put in an alibi defense claiming they can prove that he was somewhere else during the murders. In addition, they are now claiming that the knife sheath with DNA was planted by the PD. The claim is that there is no way to know whether the sheath was actually part of a knife used in the murder because the murder weapon has not been found, and that there was discrepancies in the forensics, which could indicate foul play.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk3EVQnpQWs

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Objection!

overruled

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

STABASS posted:

no one gets out of idaho alive

I did, but not on the inside.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Sorry to bump this old rear end thread, but new developments in the case.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/25/us/idaho-student-killings-kohberger-alibi/index.html

The defense has officially put in an alibi defense claiming they can prove that he was somewhere else during the murders. In addition, they are now claiming that the knife sheath with DNA was planted by the PD. The claim is that there is no way to know whether the sheath was actually part of a knife used in the murder because the murder weapon has not been found, and that there was discrepancies in the forensics, which could indicate foul play.

https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1687209996625530884?s=20

i dont think thats a very good alibi!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I lived just a couple miles away when that happened, and my sister was on site, so that's a pretty weird fact.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Based on the lightning strike principle, that makes you and your sister safer than the rest of us!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Das Boo posted:

Based on the lightning strike principle, that makes you and your sister safer than the rest of us!

Famously said before I get murdered twice times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

This dude is Leopold and Loeb level bad at crime