Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

for the longest I can remember, I've always gone either Grass or Fire with my starter on the first run

I think I might go with Quaxly? or Sprigatito. both are the coolest looking to me and it appears their function in the game is also pretty solid all around too

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Salazzle's design kicks rear end, actually

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Beezus posted:

Someone reminded me today that there's a sex lizard Pokemon and I've been mad about it for hours.

I hate lickitungs too man

now weepinbels are where it's at for us cool dudes :c00l:

- James
®~^uẘu^~ 🚀ROCKETS UNITE🚀 ~^uẘu^~®

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I dunno, it's like getting mad that bread exists.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
I am actually mad about the bread dog

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
the forbidden carb

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

There was some discussion at the end of the last thread about the lack of Battle Tower and the effects on the post game- but isn't there some sort of randomized school tournament thing? That sounds like it'd be as good or better than the really half assed Battle Towers we've been getting lately. Is it just not that good somehow?

I'm fine with the game being over when it's over, but it feels bad when there are cool post-game Pokemon but nothing to do with them!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
first

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Eiba posted:

There was some discussion at the end of the last thread about the lack of Battle Tower and the effects on the post game- but isn't there some sort of randomized school tournament thing? That sounds like it'd be as good or better than the really half assed Battle Towers we've been getting lately. Is it just not that good somehow?

I'm fine with the game being over when it's over, but it feels bad when there are cool post-game Pokemon but nothing to do with them!

Sounds like it's similar to the champion cup rematches in gen VIII or the champion challenges in Gen VII but those are still a step or 2 below the competitive level endgame content that the Battle Tower (and previously the Battle Frontier as a whole) provides. So for people wanting content at that level, looks like there isn't a whole lot there for them.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

PunishedEnzoMatrix
Jul 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
I've have obtained the video cartridge. Looking forward to meeting Dalton Quaxle this evening

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Crosspeice posted:

Welcome to the world of Pokemon! I'm just some guy on the internet, but what is Pokemon? Well, it's a bunch of fun RPGs and also the biggest financially successful franchise of all time. But you're not here for the cool stats, you're here to understand why this franchise is still going after all these years, and why the weed cat is wearing a sparkly hat:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

My wife's car is in the shop so she's taking my car to work tomorrow so I won't be able to pick up my copy of the game until tomorrow evening.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day :negative:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
A nice confirmation - when you send your pokémon out into auto-battle mode, they will outright refuse to attack shinies.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Haven’t played a new Pokémon since Sun and Moon put a bad taste in my mouth. Looking forward to smoke pouring out of my Switch as it struggles to hit 20 FPS when I throw a Pokeball.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
So, what exactly are the clothing options? Are the four uniform choices all we have?

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

My partner is getting Violet so that kinda locks me into Scarlet, but the whole....running mount is a bit odd.

maybe it'll grow on me.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's good

arrowdust
Jan 26, 2015

How's the battle speed?

I never really finished Shield because I just got sick of the battle system. But the new critters in SV do look good.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Forsythia posted:

So, what exactly are the clothing options? Are the four uniform choices all we have?
You can accessorize, but your four seasonal uniforms are all you get for shirts/shorts, so you can't drastically change your base apparel.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

arrowdust posted:

How's the battle speed?

I never really finished Shield because I just got sick of the battle system. But the new critters in SV do look good.

What do you mean you got sick of the battle system?

arrowdust
Jan 26, 2015

RatHat posted:

What do you mean you got sick of the battle system?

After playing every gen except XY and except the remasters like FRLG, the battle system just felt samey and slow. I'm contemplating whether the battles in SV are different/faster enough to merit a playthrough, or whether I'm just done with the Pokemon franchise forever I guess.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

arrowdust posted:

After playing every gen except XY and except the remasters like FRLG, the battle system just felt samey and slow. I'm contemplating whether the battles in SV are different/faster enough to merit a playthrough, or whether I'm just done with the Pokemon franchise forever I guess.

No, the battle system hasn’t changed much.

Maybe you’d be interested in Legends: Arceus though? Catching is the main focus in that game and what little battling there is is pretty quick

arrowdust
Jan 26, 2015

RatHat posted:

No, the battle system hasn’t changed much.

Maybe you’d be interested in Legends: Arceus though? Catching is the main focus in that game and what little battling there is is pretty quick

I see. Thanks for the info; you've just saved me a whole bunch of :10bux: lmao

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

arrowdust posted:

pokemon?? feh...... meh

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Lhet posted:

My partner is getting Violet so that kinda locks me into Scarlet, but the whole....running mount is a bit odd.

maybe it'll grow on me.

It's all the ride Pokemon from Arceus smashed together I think

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
4 and a half more hours here. :dogcited: Gonna get my weed cat and wear my stupid orange pinstripe pants all over town. Can't wait.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Hogama posted:

You can accessorize, but your four seasonal uniforms are all you get for shirts/shorts, so you can't drastically change your base apparel.

It is so unreal to me that after all of the customization and focus of really being your own trainer in the past howevermany games they pulled this one back. I can't imagine it's engine limitations. I realize it's fluff but anything that lets me feel like the game is my own personal Pokemon adventure helps.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Beezus posted:

Someone reminded me today that there's a sex lizard Pokemon and I've been mad about it for hours.

That's Charizard, and it's actually a "hot" lizard because it's a fire type. A common mistake.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
went into target today to try and buy the double pack (for the little statue bonus, please understand), and for some reason the employees in the electronics section weren't willing to break street date when bribed with a small snickers bar

alas

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I have recently come to terms with my unquenchable desire to be the very best, like no one ever was.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

this should be in the op

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Vandar posted:

My wife's car is in the shop so she's taking my car to work tomorrow so I won't be able to pick up my copy of the game until tomorrow evening.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day :negative:

you could buy it digital, download it right loving now and play it in like 4 hours.

I'm on the fence right now, leaning towards not buying it. I got Sonic and God of War, and there's gonna be some wacky sales in a couple days so I could get AI Somnium Files 2, Elden Ring and like finally DQ11 for the same price as pokemon...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Now that spoilers are done I can say that it's incredibly win that there's an Ultra Fishbunjin 5000 pokemon

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

MorningMoon posted:

you could buy it digital, download it right loving now and play it in like 4 hours.

I'm on the fence right now, leaning towards not buying it. I got Sonic and God of War, and there's gonna be some wacky sales in a couple days so I could get AI Somnium Files 2, Elden Ring and like finally DQ11 for the same price as pokemon...

DQ11 is almost definitely better than this game, you should get it

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
This series is like 2 incremental improvements and a system upgrade away from being the game I imagined in my head 30 years ago (it will be 30 years by the time this happens)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

MorningMoon posted:

For a great number of reasons I would prefer to have physical.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Hope the day 1 patch addresses some of the performance issues being shared online.

Unless those are people playing on emulators and not saying so, which wouldn't be the first time it happened but it's not like Pokemon games are exercises in optimization that squeeze every drop out of the system. They're not Monolith Soft after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

I never said I was a role model.

Mega64 posted:

That's Charizard, and it's actually a "hot" lizard because it's a fire type. A common mistake.

Thank you for educating me