Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Ulio posted:

First time playing Scarlet, is there many areas with higher level pokemon that are out of the main path.

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, it’s kind of like SwSh except the entire region is one big Wild Area (however you will need to get upgrades as you go in order to cross certain terrain)

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Larryb posted:

Yeah, it’s kind of like SwSh except the entire region is one big Wild Area (however you will need to get upgrades as you go in order to cross certain terrain)

I wouldn’t use this comparison because the Wild Area sucked and SV is actually good. But to be more technical, they’re designed in a completely different way. The Wild area is a side zone, essentially a newer shittier Safari Zone, while SV’s open world is well, the game world. It’s full of towns and stuff and is meant to be explored. There is no exploration in the Wild area.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
It's worth noting that if you try to do all the different main plots at the same time, in ascending order of levels like previous main games would have you do, you end up zigzagging back and forth all the gently caress over the continent. Nothing is in any sort of "Logical next stop" location compared to anything that comes before it. It's one of the reasons I hope the "Open world" thing goes away. Either that or just have everything scale somehow so you don't stumble into a level 50 zone at level 12, or find a gym only to realize you're 30 levels above the Leader's ace.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

BlazetheInferno posted:

It's worth noting that if you try to do all the different main plots at the same time, in ascending order of levels like previous main games would have you do, you end up zigzagging back and forth all the gently caress over the continent. Nothing is in any sort of "Logical next stop" location compared to anything that comes before it. It's one of the reasons I hope the "Open world" thing goes away. Either that or just have everything scale somehow so you don't stumble into a level 50 zone at level 12, or find a gym only to realize you're 30 levels above the Leader's ace.

I hope the open world stays, but they instead learn how to actually make it not suck

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they need to go back to discrete routes and towns. and sprites. hd2d pokemon

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I can see them do both styles honestly. Right now 2D Mario and 3D Mario games coexist since both provide different experiences.

Mainline Pokemon games are united in the fact that the general gameplay of the battle system is largely the same. Right now battles aren't particularly affected by being in an open world apart from wild Pokemon wandering around fully generated with all their attributes rather then being generated one at a time in a random encounter. Which might explain why they removed most of the hidden mechanics behind abilities save for the ones that make eggs hatch faster.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Saagonsa posted:

The DS WFC was shut down nearly a decade ago man

And the original Gameboy servers...?

read what I was responding to

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Larryb posted:

Oh ok the only switch game I have played is Let's Go Pikachu.

As for the open world, I don't mind it but I really wish they had more unique animations like in the 3D era.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The Sean posted:

And the original Gameboy servers...?

read what I was responding to

They said that the 3DS games are equivalent to how the gameboy, gba, and ds games once they shut off the servers are. I know you're doing a joke as if they said there were servers for the gb and gba games but that's not what they said!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

oddium posted:

they need to go back to discrete routes and towns. and sprites. hd2d pokemon

:hai:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Saagonsa posted:

They said that the 3DS games are equivalent to how the gameboy, gba, and ds games once they shut off the servers are. I know you're doing a joke as if they said there were servers for the gb and gba games but that's not what they said!

uh, you people weren't playing Pokemon Yellow Online with the 56k Link Cable attachment?

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.
Didn't Pokemon Crystal have an online component in Japan? It got shut down after a year.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

From the perspective of a having only played up to generation 3 previously, and really only blue on Gameboy, the rest on emulators, open world in SV is loving awesome. Especially in the context of introducing a 6 year old to it. It just feels more immersive, especially the 3D. Plus you can just walk around wild Pokémon, that's great.
I do agree that they should make it more linear though. I ended up going counter clockwise, and up to the top I was amazed at how much high level content there must be. Then I started going down and realized that I should have zig zagged, which was disappointing.
Also, it's quite empty. I hope they put in more stuff and maybe a bunch of side quests in the next installment.

Finally, I feel like some Pokémon should have been way larger. Please put in earth sized Torterra

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I don’t really mind losing online since I’m not a collector/dex completionist (plus I didn’t have access to the Wi-Fi features anyway while they were up) so I’m not really losing anything there. What I am peeved about is losing bank since that means any future teams you play with will be trapped. Basically nothing 3,4,or 5 can get off the DS, and 6 and 7 are each totally isolated.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

galagazombie posted:

I don’t really mind losing online since I’m not a collector/dex completionist (plus I didn’t have access to the Wi-Fi features anyway while they were up) so I’m not really losing anything there. What I am peeved about is losing bank since that means any future teams you play with will be trapped. Basically nothing 3,4,or 5 can get off the DS, and 6 and 7 are each totally isolated.

Bank is specifically still around. They've said its not forever, but it's still here now at least.

E: oh right you can't dl it anymore officially... yeah rip.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

BonHair posted:

I do agree that they should make it more linear though. I ended up going counter clockwise, and up to the top I was amazed at how much high level content there must be. Then I started going down and realized that I should have zig zagged, which was disappointing.
Also, it's quite empty. I hope they put in more stuff and maybe a bunch of side quests in the next installment.

When I started encountering really low level Pokémon, I took that as an opportunity to catch and raise a whole new team. By the end, I had a rotating team of 13 mons and avoided being overlevelled.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Nessa posted:

When I started encountering really low level Pokémon, I took that as an opportunity to catch and raise a whole new team. By the end, I had a rotating team of 13 mons and avoided being overlevelled.

:hai:

one great way to do it!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It was easier for me to keep that 'rotating team' mentality in SV than SwSh, for some reason.

The Wild Area wasn't really my jam though, just one of the many things in SV that didn't work (that and the starters, it's the first game where I didn't vibe with any of them, though I've warmed up a little to Scorbunny).

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Trying to obtain all the Pokemon I can't otherwise get without downloading the DLC via the GTS (lol, lmao) and holy loving poo poo could they please put in an option to just hide all the people looking for Furfrous?
e: God damnit I thought I had the obvious answer, to just remove Furfrou from my Home... but it can't be transferred into any of the Switch games? Is that right?

Just fuckin' around a bit, and there's one where I get a page of Furfrou demands with all the boxes unticked, then when I tick "include people searching for legendaries", then I only get two results. Both Furfrous. What the hell.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 14, 2024

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Pubbies are a weird bunch. Earlier I joined a Meganium raid and it went like this:

- The raid leader was showing a Ceruledge.
- I joined with my Armarouge.
- Two other players joined with Skeledirge.
- The raid leader confirmed.
- I confirmed.
- The two Skeledirge players both left.
- We played the raid with the leader's Ceruledge (attack) and my Armarouge (support).

We narrowly won it, because we were both competent players. I know that the Ceruledge player was competent because they used Clear Smog once or twice early on, but clearly figured out that I was support only and they would have to go full attack, and they had the moves to do that effectively.

I can only suppose the two Skeledirge players were both dead set on playing in a group consisting entirely of Skeledirge and believed that a raid attempt with a mix of Skeledirge and other mons could not be successful? And yet we won as only two players with no Skeledirge at all; and the previous raid I joined had two Skeledirge and an Annihilape and we did not win because none of the players on attack were competent (none of them buffed their stats, and one of the Skeledirge didn't even terastallize). In general there is no guarantee just because someone brings the "approved" meta pokemon that they actually know how to use it.

Diet Poison posted:

Trying to obtain all the Pokemon I can't otherwise get without downloading the DLC via the GTS (lol, lmao) and holy loving poo poo could they please put in an option to just hide all the people looking for Furfrous?
e: God damnit I thought I had the obvious answer, to just remove Furfrou from my Home... but it can't be transferred into any of the Switch games? Is that right?

Just fuckin' around a bit, and there's one where I get a page of Furfrou demands with all the boxes unticked, then when I tick "include people searching for legendaries", then I only get two results. Both Furfrous. What the hell.

If they gave you that option or made Furfrou more widely available then the Furfrou trades would get cleared and you'd just start encountering whatever is the next unreasonable ask. It has always been the case in the GTS that all halfway reasonable trades are rapidly completed, leaving only the ridiculous ones.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Diet Poison posted:

Furfrou, like Ursaluna, isn't a legendary so the checkboxes won't unpollute listings.
However, going by Wanted Pokemon and offering something of value (nonEnglish mon, Legendaries, trade evolution, an extra Spectrier you got from Depositing a shiny) can get you better options than Searching.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Abundant Atrophy posted:

Furfrou, like Ursaluna, isn't a legendary so the checkboxes won't unpollute listings.

Yeh, but you see why I am expecting that I should get more results when I have a checkbox clicked, and not fewer, right? Just a weird quirk I noticed, doubt it's a widespread issue but it sure was confusing. I had a page of results with "include legendaries" unchecked, then I checked it to see if I could unload one of my spare Zekroms in exchange or something, and then there were only two results.

The only thing I'm really annoyed by is that they accidentally did something good by letting you filter out requests for Pokemon you don't have, and then kneecapped it by making the current most irritating pokemon unable to be transferred into any of the current games and thus removable from your Home without deleting it outright. I'd just delete my Furfrou and assume I could get another one later any time I want, but... it's shiny, y'all.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Saagonsa posted:

Bank is specifically still around. They've said its not forever, but it's still here now at least.

E: oh right you can't dl it anymore officially... yeah rip.

But they’ve admitted it’s not going to be around much longer though. The point I’m making is that it is going away sooner rather than later and once it does nothing not already migrated to the switch will be able to be played with anymore.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

i did it. i finished getting all i wanted from the 3ds games and transferred everything to HOME. i also got a full Gen VII Nat dex with extra formes (except Pumpkaboo line, Deerling line and Vivillion). I saw some friends' OTs when checking which ones were mine :unsmith:

That said gently caress off GF with the heart attack when I opened the Switch version of HOME and told me it wanted to transfer mons, why the gently caress are they not synched.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Okay, back to phylogeny…

Before I start with the birds, I wanna tackle the dragons.

I’ve broken Draconia into 5 groups.

Veritadracona is the “true dragons” and consists of 4 families.

Charizard, Dragonite, Salamence/Roaring Moon, and Druddigon.

So many animals groups have “true” whatevers that I felt like doing that with dragons to group the most dragony of dragons together.

Paradracona contains 4 families.

Haxorus, Drampa, Applin, and Eternatus.

Aeronautidracona contains 5 families.

Lati@s, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, and Dragapult.

Wyverna contain dust one family. Lugia.

Polycephalodraco contains one family, Hydreigon/ Iron Jugulis.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Drampa is like the closest thing to an Eastern dragon, how is it not a ‘true’ dragon.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Wait, you didn't put Dragapult in with the amphibians? It's a Diplocaulus.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Lugia is a Plesiosaur and as such should go wherever you put Lapras, And the Applin line should go with wherever you put annelids.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

hey wait a minute why aren't the dexes for local games filled. are you telling me i need to make sure i get them from the switch games? f off with that.

also wondering if Bank works through :filez: cause I discovered the achievements for transfering from the VC releases (also pissed I apparently missed a Groudon from GBA I was sure I had)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

hey wait a minute why aren't the dexes for local games filled. are you telling me i need to make sure i get them from the switch games? f off with that.

Pffft, amateur!

please stop putting checklists in front of me, please, I have better things to do with my life

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Hammerite posted:

- The two Skeledirge players both left.

I have had some very funny versions of this experience when it's the raid leader themselves who wants to only do the meta. I had, idk, probably the generic support Mew set that I have brought to like 90% of raids and almost always secure a win with. I joined a 6-star raid, locked in, and the leader immediately canceled the raid. But because they were the only, whatever, bug-type Haxorus raid on the board, I just kept rejoining and locking in and they just kept quitting, over and over again.

And yeah it's no guarantee that someone's got any idea what they are doing. Nothing warms my heart like helping secure a win for a kid whose Mewtwo is swapping back and forth between using Curse and Ice Beam.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Drampa is like the closest thing to an Eastern dragon, how is it not a ‘true’ dragon.

In the same way that tarantulas aren’t “true” spiders. I just arbitrarily chose that the “true” dragons would be the western kind with 4 limbs and a pair of wings in their final stages.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Wait, you didn't put Dragapult in with the amphibians? It's a Diplocaulus.

You are correct! I knew I was missing stuff still. I just thought to put all the dragons with aeronautical elements together, completely overlooking the fact that Dragapult is a prehistoric amphibian. This will be corrected!

galagazombie posted:

Lugia is a Plesiosaur and as such should go wherever you put Lapras, And the Applin line should go with wherever you put annelids.

Lugia was a hard one to place, because it has similarities to plesiosaurs and birds, so I just decided to place it as some type of wyvern.

If anything, I should make a separate dragon clade for the Applins because they are more wyrms than worms.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Hahaha absolutely gently caress that, that is insane person poo poo. I checked my Pokemon Home dex and my highest number on the "games" tab is 60.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

gotta catch em all 3-4 times apiece

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Thankfully the gift Magearna comes from Nat Dex which did copy all my Bank stuff. So I only need to insert SwSh mons who are probably all from SwSh.

...I do wonder what happens with things like, transferring one of the horsies fron SV to SwSh and then to HOME. Do they detect they come from SV and not give you the entry despite in game doing so? Cause woo boy that would be killer for the Horsies and Kubfu forms since you get only 1 of them (the Regis at least are SwSh only so...)

EDIT: also wondering if it's ever possible to get Spinda's entry from BDSP. Unless it turns out I forgot it was not on the main BDSP dex.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 16, 2024

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

EDIT: also wondering if it's ever possible to get Spinda's entry from BDSP. Unless it turns out I forgot it was not on the main BDSP dex.

It doesn't. Home only includes the Sinnoh Dex from that game.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Birds!

Paraves contains 1 family. Archeops.

Palaeognathae contains 2 families.

Dodrio and Espathra.

Galliformes contains 2 families.

Blaziken and Unpheasant.

Anseriformes contains 3 families.

Farfetch’d/Sirfetch’d, Swanna, and Quaquaval.

Mirandornethes contains 1 family. Flamigo.

Austrodyptornithes contains 4 families.

Empoleon, Delibird, Eiscue, and Killowattrel.

Ciconiiformes contains 1 family. Bombirdier.

Suliformes contains 1 family. Cramorant.

Pelicaniformes contains 1 family. Pelipper.

Piciformes contains 1 family. Toucannon.

Strygiformes contains 2 families.

Noctowl and Decidueye.

Cathartiformes contains 2 families.

Fearow and Mandibuzz. It was hard to place Fearrow, but I settled on it being something related to vultures.

Accipirtriformes contains 5 families.

Skarmory, Braviary, Talonflame, Hawlucha, and Yveltal. Yveltal was also hard to place, but let’s call it a bird of prey.

Psitticaformes contains 2 families.

Chatot and Squawkabilly.

Passeriformes contains 12 families.

Pidgeot, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Altaria, Oricorio, Xatu, Ho oh, Honchkrow, Corviknight, Swellow, and Staraptor. I could put Pidgeot and Staraptor with the hawk form birds, but eh… Falcons aren’t even part of the hawk form birds anymore. They can sit with the Passerine birds in my book.

It’s hard to place some birds because they sometimes start as clearly one species, but evolve into another species that isn’t even in the same group. Fortunately, woodpeckers and toucans are in the same group, so Toucannon was easy.

I love bird Pokémon and there are still a bunch of cool birds we haven’t seen yet.

Hummingbirds
Kiwis
Cassowaries
Macaws
Blue Jays
Puffins
Kookaburras
Secretary birds
Shoebiils

Gimme all the birds. I would love a Fairy type bee hummingbird please.

Nessa fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 17, 2024

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

What are the pokemon you always wanted to use but never used? Playing Scarlet, I been using Luxray for the first, I always loved it's design but for some reason never used it in the previous games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
ScoVio has generally made it easier to rotate Pokemon so you can try out your favourites.

But for me it's usually one of those single stage Pokemon that's encountered around the middle or last third of the game and you have no reason to really swap it into your party. Like Dhelmise, Comfey, Relicanth, etc.

Also, just kinda... slowish Pokemon in general. Some you can make work, like Gargancl, but things like Coalossal or Cradily can be really difficult to use in-game.