Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

ScoVio has generally made it easier to rotate Pokemon so you can try out your favourites.

But for me it's usually one of those single stage Pokemon that's encountered around the middle or last third of the game and you have no reason to really swap it into your party. Like Dhelmise, Comfey, Relicanth, etc.

Also, just kinda... slowish Pokemon in general. Some you can make work, like Gargancl, but things like Coalossal or Cradily can be really difficult to use in-game.

Ya it's like when you get a party member in a jrpg in the final chapter but are already used to using your current team. It's like way too late.

In Pokemon games, usually you get ice or dragon types quite late so those are the ones I still end up including in my team if it makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

All the birds, especially the normal/flying ones. From generation 1, I've thought of them as not-pidgey, because pidgey was somehow worth having, and the others were not.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Staraptor, talonflame, and corviknight ftw.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Saagonsa posted:

Staraptor, talonflame, and corviknight ftw.

Kilowattrel was the surprise mvp of my Violet playthrough. Hell, throw Swellow in there too, it's cool.

Birds ftw.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Most of the region birds are better than pidgeot by miles.

Smogon Bird alone destroys the category.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Just started a second playthrough of Shield (it's only been what, 5 years?) and as usual with a second round my goal is to not use Pokemon I've used in the past on that particular game, but I look at Corviknight's pre-evo and go "but I waaaaanna". So, yeah, might replace him eventually but he's on the team for now. I think every gen since 3 has had an absolute belter of a bird, haven't they? Well, maybe not, I don't recall the gen 5 bird being any good but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway the only reason I'm doing this is to get dupe legendaries I need for my living dex (Glastrier, Kubfu & Urshifu) or to trade for Gen 9 expansion pass Pokemon because I'm too stubborn to pay money for that since I'm mad they didn't add a battle tower. But I will say being able to putter around a bit on the Isle of Armor right near the beginning (I think Crown Tundra is still all set to high level stuff and is assumed you'll do it postgame, yeah?) makes the game feel much less railsy. And while I always find myself annoyed that I can't walk down like a tiny little ledge like you can in Violet, the world is so much more pleasing to the eye.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

BonHair posted:

All the birds, especially the normal/flying ones. From generation 1, I've thought of them as not-pidgey, because pidgey was somehow worth having, and the others were not.

maybe I am biased, but both Pidgeot and Raticate end up being super useful in Gen 1 from start to finish. it's really wild how Route 1 rats and birds still havent ever reclaimed that former glory.

Corviknight ends up disgustingly good tho

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it was cool in omega ruby when you could chain taillow for one with boom burst. the dexnav was so good

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Of the route 1 birds
Noctowl is bad, but has a niche in the Johto games in that hes a normal type special attacker that learns a bunch of psychic and ghost moves to use on the ghastly line and can inflict sleep.
Swellow has a billion speed and has the Guts>Endeavor combo.
Staraptor has close combat and the stats to use it.
Unpheasant sucks and has no real niche something else at that point in the game can’t fill, sorry.
Talonflame is just a straight up good Pokémon, no qualification necessary.
Toucannon I’ve never tried to use so have no idea.
Corvinight has an amazing typing, amazing ability, and great stats. He’s too good to be a route 1 bird.
Squawkabilly sucks, but he exists more as a collection gimmick than a party member.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

galagazombie posted:

Of the route 1 birds
Noctowl is bad, but has a niche in the Johto games in that hes a normal type special attacker that learns a bunch of psychic and ghost moves to use on the ghastly line and can inflict sleep.
Swellow has a billion speed and has the Guts>Endeavor combo.
Staraptor has close combat and the stats to use it.
Unpheasant sucks and has no real niche something else at that point in the game can’t fill, sorry.
Talonflame is just a straight up good Pokémon, no qualification necessary.
Toucannon I’ve never tried to use so have no idea.
Corvinight has an amazing typing, amazing ability, and great stats. He’s too good to be a route 1 bird.
Squawkabilly sucks, but he exists more as a collection gimmick than a party member.

Toucannon is great. It wins the first trial due to it being able to learn Brick Break. It was really useful the entire game for me.

Plus, it’s just a big angry toucan.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
There's a lot of Pokemon id like to use, but I don't really have the patience for anything that doesn't outspeed 90% of npc pokemon

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah Unfezant was just bad? Which is a shame since the gender differences are kinda neat.

Otherwise most of the early birds range from good to ‘eh, I can see what you’re trying to do’ like Noctowl.

The early critters though have wildly varying usability. Like okay, Stoutland is cool but what are you even trying to do with Gumshoos and Greedent.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Beachcomber posted:

There's a lot of Pokemon id like to use, but I don't really have the patience for anything that doesn't outspeed 90% of npc pokemon

Thanks to npcs having no EV’s, npcs not evolving their Pokémon even at the end of the game, and the fact that you are often over leveled even if you try not to be, you’ll be out speeding 90% of trainers even with slow Pokémon. Only a small handful of absolute stinkers like Crabominable are actually too slow for campaign.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah Unfezant was just bad? Which is a shame since the gender differences are kinda neat.

Otherwise most of the early birds range from good to ‘eh, I can see what you’re trying to do’ like Noctowl.

The early critters though have wildly varying usability. Like okay, Stoutland is cool but what are you even trying to do with Gumshoos and Greedent.

Unfezant is just slightly worse Staraptor with a monumentally worse movepool and garbage abilities instead of intimidate.

Like it gets almost exclusively special moves despite being built like a generic physical attacker.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Talonflame and Toucannon made it into my E4 teams for both their debut games, they ruled.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

galagazombie posted:

Thanks to npcs having no EV’s, npcs not evolving their Pokémon even at the end of the game, and the fact that you are often over leveled even if you try not to be, you’ll be out speeding 90% of trainers even with slow Pokémon. Only a small handful of absolute stinkers like Crabominable are actually too slow for campaign.

ugly garbage crab was still in my alola e4 team

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

mikeycp posted:

ugly garbage crab was still in my alola e4 team

He was on mine too. (second playthrough admittedly)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

galagazombie posted:

Tbf SuMo/USUM are exceptions to this. Enemy teams do often get max IVs and EVs as the game goes on as well as good natures.

Take a look at one of the later Guzma battles for instance

Golisopod (Lv. 68) (Nature: Adamant) (Moves: Sucker Punch/Waterfall/First Impression/Brick Break) IVs: 30/30/30/30/30/30 EVs: 0/252/252/0/0/0
Vikavolt (Lv. 68) (Nature: Modest) (Moves: Flash Cannon/Thunderbolt/Bug Buzz/Energy Ball) IVs: 30/30/30/30/30/30 EVs: 252/0/0/252/0/0
Pinsir (Lv. 68) (Nature: Adamant) (Moves: Throat Chop/Storm Throw/X-Scissor/Stone Edge) IVs: 30/30/30/30/30/30 EVs: 0/252/0/0/0/252
Masquerain (Lv. 68) (Nature: Modest) (Moves: Air Slash/Bug Buzz/Ice Beam/Energy Ball) IVs: 30/30/30/30/30/30 EVs: 0/0/0/252/0/252
Scizor (Lv. 68) (Nature: Adamant) (Moves: X-Scissor/Iron Head/Night Slash/Bullet Punch) IVs: 30/30/30/30/30/30 EVs: 0/252/0/0/0/252

That's a pretty brutal wall if you're just using random mons.

This is also why a lot of Alola mons have worse reps than they probably should, in general they're slow and debuted in a generation with some of the harder NPC battles in the series.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I've got neutral feelings towards most of the early route birds. Although Staraptor, Talonflame and Corviknight are easily the best. Honorable mentions go to Braviary, Altaria and Hawlucha.

I don't really like Unfezant though. Took until Sword and Shield to finally train one for my living competitive dex.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Braviary/Altaria/Hawlucha aren’t really what I’d consider early route birds, though.

I do think Altaria is very unimpressive competitively. Stats are too even and the only noteworthy part of it is that it was the first Dragon type that didn’t require high levels or trade to get.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/LegoLostAtSea/status/1780850365891555684

Team Aqua will pay for this...

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

It’s a sign, VGC Groudonbros… we’re taking that mf to Reg G

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Zore posted:

Tbf SuMo/USUM are exceptions to this. Enemy teams do often get max IVs and EVs as the game goes on as well as good natures.

It's mostly boss trainers that utilize EVs in gen 7. A lot of regular NPC trainers don't use EVs.

That being said gen 7 is when enemy trainers started using EVs during the campaign. In previous gens only their IVs scaled.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Okay, mammals are a pretty big group, so I’m going to tackle them piecemeal.

But before mammals proper we have synapsids, which only contains 1 family. Venusaur.

Monotremata contains 1 family. Golduck.

Marupialia contains 3 families.

Kangaskhan, Marowak, and Komala.

Cingulata contains 1 family. Chesnaught.

Pilosa contains 2 families.

Slaking and Heatmor.

Afrotheria contains 3 families.

Mammoswine, Donphan/Iron Treads/ Great Tusk, and Copperajah. Mammoswine would also fit with the pigs, but I’m partial to it being a wooly mammoth.

Eulipotyphla contains 4 families.

Dugtrio, Excadrill, Shaymin, and Togedemaru.

Chiroptera contains 3 families.

Crobat, Swoobat, and Noivern.

Pholidota contains 1 family. Sandslash.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

We will simply have to agree to disagree on whether or not the Cyndaquil line are echidnas.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Cattail Prophet posted:

We will simply have to agree to disagree on whether or not the Cyndaquil line are echidnas.

Cyndaquil is echidna-like, but Typhlosion is more of a badger. I typically go by how the final form looks.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The lines theme is “spiked mammals but the needles are fire” and goes Echidna>Porcupine>Honey Badger which are all completely different taxa (a monotreme, a rodent, and a mustelid) so it’s a hard line to classify.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I figure Quilava resembled a mustelid too, its body is pretty weasel-shaped. Aligns with Typhlosion being a badger.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i think they're just monsters

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

oddium posted:

Pokémon is a portmanteau of "Pocket Monsters"

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

ApplesandOranges posted:

I figure Quilava resembled a mustelid too, its body is pretty weasel-shaped. Aligns with Typhlosion being a badger.

Nah it has the porcupines distinctive clusters of "Mohawk spines" and "Butt spines"

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

oddium posted:

:hmmyes:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Next up are the odd and even toed ungulates.

Equidae contains 6 families. (5 if you lump Spectrier and Glastrier together.)

Rapidash, Zebstrika, Keldeo, Mudsdale, Glastrier, and Spectrier.

Tapiridae contains 2 families.

Hypno and Musharna. I know they are both Baku, but they also look like tapirs.

Rhinocerotidae contains 1 family. Rhyperior.

Camelidae contains 1 family. Camerupt.

Suidae contains 3 families.

Grumpig, Emboar, and Oinkologne.

Giraffidae contains 1 family. Farigiraf.

Cervical contains 6 families.

Wyrdeer, Sawsbuck, Cobalion/Iron Crown, Verizion/Iron Leaves, Xerneas, and Ting Lu.

Bovidae contains 7 families.

Tauros, Miltank, Bouffalant, Terrakion/Iron Boulder, Ampharos, Dubwool, and Gogoat.

Hippopotamidae contains 1 family. Hippowdon.

Cetacea contains 4 families.

Wailord, Kyogre, Cetitan, and Palafin.

We’re seriously missing some llama and alpaca Pokémon. Maybe they’re saving that for PokePeru. I’m also wanting a PokeAustralia to get some more marsupials. Another kangaroo, a quokka, a wombat, a Tasmanian devil, and maybe a Tasmanian tiger.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Flamigo is a great addition to the early route birds.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Nessa posted:

I’m also wanting a PokeAustralia to get some more marsupials. Another kangaroo, a quokka, a wombat, a Tasmanian devil, and maybe a Tasmanian tiger.

Every pokemon is poison/whatever

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Zore posted:

Take a look at one of the later Guzma battles for instance

Golisopod (Lv. 68) (Nature: Adamant) (Moves: Sucker Punch/Waterfall/First Impression/Brick Break) IVs: 30/30/30/30/30/30 EVs: 0/252/252/0/0/0
Vikavolt (Lv. 68) (Nature: Modest) (Moves: Flash Cannon/Thunderbolt/Bug Buzz/Energy Ball) IVs: 30/30/30/30/30/30 EVs: 252/0/0/252/0/0
Pinsir (Lv. 68) (Nature: Adamant) (Moves: Throat Chop/Storm Throw/X-Scissor/Stone Edge) IVs: 30/30/30/30/30/30 EVs: 0/252/0/0/0/252
Masquerain (Lv. 68) (Nature: Modest) (Moves: Air Slash/Bug Buzz/Ice Beam/Energy Ball) IVs: 30/30/30/30/30/30 EVs: 0/0/0/252/0/252
Scizor (Lv. 68) (Nature: Adamant) (Moves: X-Scissor/Iron Head/Night Slash/Bullet Punch) IVs: 30/30/30/30/30/30 EVs: 0/252/0/0/0/252

That's a pretty brutal wall if you're just using random mons.

This is also why a lot of Alola mons have worse reps than they probably should, in general they're slow and debuted in a generation with some of the harder NPC battles in the series.
One of my favourites for this (may have talked about it before here, but it bears repeating) is Nanu. Here's his team for the Kahuna fight in USUM (I imagine it's similar in SuMo, but I couldn't find that on a quick search of the internet):

Sableye (Lv. 43) (Nature: Impish) (Moves: Power Gem/Shadow Ball/Fake Out/(None)) IVs: 30/30/30/30/30/30 EVs: 0/0/0/252/252/0
Krokorok (Lv. 43) (Nature: Jolly) (Moves: Crunch/Assurance/Swagger/Earthquake) IVs: 30/30/30/30/30/30 EVs: 0/252/0/0/0/252
Persian-A (Lv. 44) @Darkinium Z (Nature: Timid) (Moves: Power Gem/Fake Out/Dark Pulse/(None)) IVs: 30/30/30/30/30/30 EVs: 0/0/0/252/0/252

Between the EVs and the Timid nature, that Persian-A is set up to be as fast as possible, as I discovered to my cost in Moon when I went "well Foxglove the Ribombee can take care of this", got outsped (basically the first time Foxglove had been outsped in the entire game, Ribombee is pretty drat fast after all) and one-shot with Power Gem. This combination of speed and Power Gem gives Nanu a lot of answers to many 'mons you might pick to counter him (any Bug type, Ninetales-A, Hawlucha maybe though I think fighting resists rock?)

Then in Sun I had Bug Bertha the Golisopod and discovered that Fake Out's +3 priority beats First Impression's +2 priority and is basically a perfect counter to it. Note that both his Sableye and Persian-A have the moves Fake Out and Power Gem in their lineups.

And honestly? This all works amazingly from a flavour point of view. Think about it: Nanu is a Dark-type user whose entire job hinges on keeping someone who's strong against Dark types (Guzma's Bug-type team) in check. Guzma's Golisopod is denied its best move and a sitting duck for Power Gem. I don't know whether Persian-A outspeeds Masquerain, but I wouldn't be surprised if that were the plan there too (and of course Masquerain is quad-weak to Rock). The Krokorok doesn't quite fit the pattern, but I'm assuming that flavour-wise that's for dealing with Plumeria (especially her quad-weak-to-Ground Salazzle).

Fun stuff like this does make me sad that we don't get stuff like this in more recent games (I think the only EVs the AI gets in SV is 100 health EVs on their Tera-using ace? Which makes sense, you want it to be tough to take down to help showcase the whole Tera thing, but still feels like we're missing out on a lot.

re PokéAustralia: I want to see a mon based on spinifex - grass/rock with an ability related to entry-hazards. Eucalytpus would be fun too - grass/fire, maybe an ability related to explosions.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 19, 2024

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Regular sumo doesn't go nearly as hard as ultra. It's maybe slightly more challenging than a normal game but not much

Ultra they decided to try and break children and I kinda respect it

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I was still ten levels above everything until Poni Island; turns out switching 'mons does wonders to keep your team leveled, especially since everyone gets full exp for doing so

At least the magneton line doesn't shatter the difficulty curve as bad as it did in SuMo, and you can get magnezone at a far more reasonable time

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

mikeycp posted:

Regular sumo doesn't go nearly as hard as ultra. It's maybe slightly more challenging than a normal game but not much

Ultra they decided to try and break children and I kinda respect it

It was amazing watching Ultra Necrozma end several Nuzlocke runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

galagazombie posted:

The lines theme is “spiked mammals but the needles are fire” and goes Echidna>Porcupine>Honey Badger which are all completely different taxa (a monotreme, a rodent, and a mustelid) so it’s a hard line to classify.

Pikaclone Alignment Chart