Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
I wish Slaking kept the long claws. You don't really know it's a sloth unless told.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Okay, here’s Carnivora. This one’s a big one.

Musteloidea contains 12 families.

Skuntank, Weavile/Sneasler, Mienshao, Chien-Pao, Furret, Linoone/Obstagoon, Typhlosion, Slowbro/Slowking, Floatzel, Samurott, Spinda, and Bewear. I decided that the Slows were some type of otter.

Phocoidea contains 3 families.

Dewgong, Walrein, and Primarina.

Ursidae contains 5 families.

Ursaluna, Beartic, Pangoro, Urshifu, and Snorlax. Let’s say Snorlax is a bear.

Canidae contains 21 families.

Manectric, Lucario, Lycanroc, Arcanine, Zacian, Zamazenta, Granbull, Houndoom, Smeargle, Stoutland, Furfrou, Bolthund, Dachsbun, Mabosstiff, Houndstone, Ninetales, Alakazam, Eevee, Zoroark, Delphox, and Thievul.

Herpestoidea contains 7 families.

Entei, Raikou, Suicune, Mightyena, Absol, Zangoose, and Gumshoos. Folks always argue over whether the beast trio are dogs or cats, so let’s split the difference and put them with the hyenas.

Felidae contains 10 families.

Persian/Perrserker, Delcatty, Purugly, Liepard, Meowstic, Meowscarada, Luxray, Pyroar, Incineroar, and Zeroara.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
That's a lot of good dogs.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Dugongs are Sirenians and actually ungulates most closely related to elephants. Dewgong even loses Seels Seal-like traits upon evolution. Also it’s literally named Dugong, even in Japanese. Another inconveniently multi-taxa line.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Dewgong doesn’t look enough like an actual dugong for me to place it as a dugong. It still looks more like a seal than anything else to me.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, been a while since a gym leader in the anime gave someone a pity badge

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

galagazombie posted:

Of the route 1 birds
Noctowl is bad, but has a niche in the Johto games in that hes a normal type special attacker that learns a bunch of psychic and ghost moves to use on the ghastly line and can inflict sleep.
Swellow has a billion speed and has the Guts>Endeavor combo.
Staraptor has close combat and the stats to use it.
Unpheasant sucks and has no real niche something else at that point in the game can’t fill, sorry.
Talonflame is just a straight up good Pokémon, no qualification necessary.
Toucannon I’ve never tried to use so have no idea.
Corvinight has an amazing typing, amazing ability, and great stats. He’s too good to be a route 1 bird.
Squawkabilly sucks, but he exists more as a collection gimmick than a party member.

Noctowl is not bad at all and I will not tolerate this. Ive taken one to the E4 in two different games now. Good bulk special wall with access to a lot of utility moves, recovery moves, and Tinted Lens means you can even go on the offensive against things that would normally resist.

Next youre going to try and tell me Rabsca is a bad early bug.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I will in fact tell you that, on the basis that it's not an early bug in the first place.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Furnaceface posted:

Noctowl is not bad at all and I will not tolerate this. Ive taken one to the E4 in two different games now. Good bulk special wall with access to a lot of utility moves, recovery moves, and Tinted Lens means you can even go on the offensive against things that would normally resist.

Next youre going to try and tell me Rabsca is a bad early bug.

I think overall any defensive pokemon with a status move and especially a healing move is gonna be overwhelmingly powerful in the main game, since it's tailored to the Typhlosion with Ember, Flame Wheel, Fire Punch and Flamethrower. I remember being so excited when I realized that Miltank could use Milk Drink as a field move and heal your party for free.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Cattail Prophet posted:

I will in fact tell you that, on the basis that it's not an early bug in the first place.

You find them on the way to the second gym, thats early to me. :colbert:

Muscle Tracer posted:

I think overall any defensive pokemon with a status move and especially a healing move is gonna be overwhelmingly powerful in the main game, since it's tailored to the Typhlosion with Ember, Flame Wheel, Fire Punch and Flamethrower. I remember being so excited when I realized that Miltank could use Milk Drink as a field move and heal your party for free.

Miltank getting Scrappy and Milk Drink ensured I had the same reaction. Ghosts? Stomp em!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I wish my boy Typhlosion was better, but at least it's not Meganium.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Larryb posted:

Huh, been a while since a gym leader in the anime gave someone a pity badge

If you're talking about the most recent episode, then the goal was for Liko to experience Terastalization, and she managed to pass this test.

Now is probably the time for Liko to expand her repertoire of options. Right now Floragato mostly relies on Quick Attack and Magical Leaf, and Hatenna barely battles but knows Confusion and Heal Pulse.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zuzie posted:

If you're talking about the most recent episode, then the goal was for Liko to experience Terastalization, and she managed to pass this test.

Now is probably the time for Liko to expand her repertoire of options. Right now Floragato mostly relies on Quick Attack and Magical Leaf, and Hatenna barely battles but knows Confusion and Heal Pulse.

Fair point, wouldn’t hurt for her to get a few more Pokemon on her team too.

Still curious how Penny’s gonna fit into all this for that matter (she had no lines last week but she’s prominent in the OP which seems to indicate she’ll be a major character)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

ApplesandOranges posted:

I wish my boy Typhlosion was better, but at least it's not Meganium.

How dare

Meganium is a good one-note trick plant pony with no moves and only good against types its super effective against and-

:sigh:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Vinylshadow posted:

How dare

Meganium is a good one-note trick plant pony with no moves and only good against types its super effective against and-

:sigh:

One trick ponies can be fine if they had the offensive stats or nature to go with it (see Contrary Serperior). But Meganium has like... 82/83/80 offenses, it's just rough. And stuck with Overgrow or Leaf Guard. It's also one of only two fully evolved starters that doesn't break 90 in any of those offensive stats, the other being Blastoise.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

You find them on the way to the second gym, thats early to me. :colbert:
How on earth did you get so lost as to end up in the Asado Desert on the way to Artazon?

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I took Squawkabilly all the way to the Elite 4.

If you love your pokemon enough anything is possible. :colbert:

(It is odd that Squawks doesn't get an evolution though. It's another pokemon like Komala where it feels like it should just be a stage 1 of 2).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Squawkabillty is just a new Farfetch'd (objectively cool, not great in battle), so I guess wait for it to get a regional form and evolution in a few generations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

ApplesandOranges posted:

One trick ponies can be fine if they had the offensive stats or nature to go with it (see Contrary Serperior). But Meganium has like... 82/83/80 offenses, it's just rough. And stuck with Overgrow or Leaf Guard. It's also one of only two fully evolved starters that doesn't break 90 in any of those offensive stats, the other being Blastoise.

Contrary Serperior is the most fun braindead raiding mon of the gen, it's so dumb. Leaf Storm three times, keep Giga Draining forever. Oh your stats got reset too many times and you're out of Leaf Storm? Time to go Tera Stellar and just do the exact same thing yet again but slightly more slowly. This also makes it the mon that does the best job of self-boosting while also using Assault Vest. Even works against bosses with Taunt and Encore. Iconic.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ApplesandOranges posted:

Serperior has 75/75 in its attacking stats. Non-Contrary Serperior is in strong contention for worst starter considering that and its garbage movepool. It doesn't even get the support moves or Earthquake like Meganium.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zore posted:

Serperior has 75/75 in its attacking stats. Non-Contrary Serperior is in strong contention for worst starter considering that and its garbage movepool.

It still has 115 Speed. Its movepool is still pretty bad but even without Contrary it has access to Coil and Scale Shot and a better physical option than Meganium in Leaf Blade, as well as Glare for paralysis.

Meganium's best claim is access to Earthquake and Body Press. You could run a Curse set, but it's already got middling Speed and too many weaknesses.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zore posted:

Serperior has 75/75 in its attacking stats. Non-Contrary Serperior is in strong contention for worst starter considering that and its garbage movepool. It doesn't even get the support moves or Earthquake like Meganium.

Coil alone means it clears Meganium is usefulness.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Serperior owns, as does Arbok. Sorry, HATERS.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Serp was a premiere subseeder, the most honorable strategy

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ApplesandOranges posted:

It still has 115 Speed. Its movepool is still pretty bad but even without Contrary it has access to Coil and Scale Shot and a better physical option than Meganium in Leaf Blade, as well as Glare for paralysis.

Meganium's best claim is access to Earthquake and Body Press. You could run a Curse set, but it's already got middling Speed and too many weaknesses.

Scale Shot wasn't a thing until Gen 8. In Gen V itself its best non-STAB attacking moves were Aerial Ace and Dragon Tail.

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

Serperior is the ultimate Button Clicker. You just click the button and hope the opponent doesn't have one of the 6 types that resists the button.

Countblanc posted:

Serp was a premiere subseeder, the most honorable strategy

My go-to Honourable Strategy was SubToxic Salazzle. Corrosion is one of those funny abilities that can make someone stop for a second and desperately google what it does.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Moved some legendaries into Home from AS today. So the lights are still on for now

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Serperior better because it is a cool snake* and that’s all there is to it!!!

*it may be a legless lizard.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cambria Bold posted:

Serperior is the ultimate Button Clicker. You just click the button and hope the opponent doesn't have one of the 6 types that resists the button.

My go-to Honourable Strategy was SubToxic Salazzle. Corrosion is one of those funny abilities that can make someone stop for a second and desperately google what it does.

i've been playing pokerogue this week at work and the number of times i've had to look up a move or ability i've never heard of despite playing this game casually and competitively since day 1 is frankly embarrassing

though in my defense probably 90% of them are signature moves/abilities of cover legendaries that i've never actually seen in a match lol

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

I've played enough random bullshit off-smogon/VGC competitive that I more or less know things off intuition. One time in a multi-battle tournament I got matched up against two VGC tryhards who both had Incineroar and I made the hardest matchup call of all time and led Wigglytuff expecting them to both pick their Incineroars. They did exactly that, Wigglytuff picked up a +4 Sp. Attack boost thanks to its ability (Competitive, +2 Sp. Attack whenever a stat is lowered. Incineroar has Intimidate) and my partner clicked Trick Room and we proceeded to sweep. it was glorious.

It was a best-of-3 set and we lost the next two games. I may know things about the video game, but that doesn't make me good at it.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Meganium is mostly a victim of circumstance tbh.

The second generation was very much designed to be the big sequel of the first set of games. They honestly thought it would be the last one before everyone moved onto something else, so quite a few decisions were made so that it would work in tandem with those older titles, mainly the fact that the player could travel into the world of the older games and challenge their gyms after a time skip, so to not repeat gyms, all the Gyms in Johto were types not represented by Gyms in Kanto. Another thing was that the big bad Team Rocket is back and causing trouble again with their endless number of poison types, the type that was typecasted to be a "villainous" type before Dark types were introduced. One other decision was that in Gen 1, almost all the Grass types were dual types except for the weirdo Tangela. So the decision to add more pure grass types was also made for more type variety. On top of all that, there was barely a competitive scene and while the Psychic type was given massive nerfs in the form of two new types, they didn't do a whole lot for Grass Pokemon. Maybe introduce Weather conditions and had one that was a double-edged sword for Grass types where they could make Solarbeam a single use move, but also made fire type moves stronger.

Unfortunately for poor Meganium all these things were a perfect storm that made it such a poor choice for a starter, the Pokemon most kids would rely on for most of their journey. The reputation stuck around and over the years, better optimized Grass Pokemon and Starters were introduced, but nothing was given that would help it rise out of mediocrity.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Meganium has a good niche in Gen4 as being an HM slave that you give a single grass move in case someone throws out a Quagsire/Whiscash/Gastrodon.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

The Meganium in the New Pokemon Snap is one of the best parts of that game.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

The Meganium in the New Pokemon Snap is one of the best parts of that game.

How so? I still haven't got to that game.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Let’s do the last of the mammals. Lagomorphs, Rodents, and Primates.

Lagomorpha contains 10 families.

Nidoqueen/Nidoking, Azumaril, Plusle/Minun, Lopunny, Victini, Audino, Indeedee, Diggersby, Cinderace, and Calyrex.

Rodentia contains 12 families.

Bibarel, Raticate, Raichu, Dedenne, Maushold, Morpeko, Cinccino, Pachirisu, Greedent, Watchog, and Pawmot.

Lemuroidea contains 3 families.

Passimian, Zarude, and Graffaiai.

Simiiformes contains 6 families.

Ambipom, Infernape, Simisear, Simipour, Simisage and Medicham.

Homidoidea contains 4 families.

Annihilape, Darmanitan, Oranguru, and Rillaboom.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

While I’m at it, let’s do the last of them. The Demons and the Fairies.

Demons

Daemonidae contains 4 families.

Electivire, Magmortar, Exploud, and Zygarde.

Yokaiidae contains 5 families.

Jynx, Mawile, Glalie/Froslass, Wobuffet, Chimecho, and Garbodor. Honestly, I could put a lot more Pokémon here that are also based on Yokai.

Homonidae contains 9 families.

Mr. Mime/ Mr. Rime, Machamp, Hitmonchan/Hitmonlee/Hitmontop, Hariyama/Iron Hands, Sawk, Throh, Conkeldurr, Kingambit, and Ceruledge/Armarouge.

Impidae contains 1 family. Grimmsnarl.

Djinnidae contains 5 families.

Hoopa, Thunderus, Landorus, Tornadus and Enamorus.

Unownidae contains 4 families.

Unown, Electrode, Sigilyph, and Falinks.

Fairies

Fairidae contains 3 families.

Clefable, Wigglytuff/Scream Tail, and Blissey.

Avemimidae contains 2 families.

Togekiss and Aromatisse.

Pixidae contains 9 families.

Celebi, Jirachi, Uxie, Mespirit, Azelf, Tapu Koko, Tapu Finni, Tapu Bulu, Tapu Lele.

Gynobellidae contains 5 families.

Gardevoir/Gallade/Iron Valliant, Gothitelle, Meloetta, Hatterene, and Tinkaton.

Cresselidae contains 1 family. Cresselia.

Floradae contains 2 families.

Florges and Comfey.

Saccharinidae contains 2 families.

Slurpuff and Alcreamie.

Most everything else is categorized as “other” for being digital, manmade, space aliens, extra dimensional beings, or creator beings.

Nessa fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 21, 2024

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Loudred is the middle evo, Exploud is the final.

Going to nitpick because its one of my favourite Pokemon in general.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Meganium also suffered from weak offensive stats and a shallow movepool. Typhlosion (who is also kind of meh competitvely) at least copied Charizard's statline so it can hurt things.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

On the topic of gen 2 stuff, I say this anytime this comes up but i'd be cool with them going back and rebalancing gen 2 build wise a bit.

Outside the babies, the stuff that got future evolutions and the handful of actually competent and usable stuff already in the gen, almost everything else feels notably worst in class across the gens. Which sucks. So many cute designs that gen that just don't have the stats to hit or survive much of anything, or that don't have any standout abilities or redeeming movesets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Crawfish posted:

On the topic of gen 2 stuff, I say this anytime this comes up but i'd be cool with them going back and rebalancing gen 2 build wise a bit.

Outside the babies, the stuff that got future evolutions and the handful of actually competent and usable stuff already in the gen, almost everything else feels notably worst in class across the gens. Which sucks. So many cute designs that gen that just don't have the stats to hit or survive much of anything, or that don't have any standout abilities or redeeming movesets.

I mean at this point the only Gen 2 mons that didn't get a later gen evo or regional form and actually need a boost are like... Meganium, Noctowl, Furret, Ariados, Sunflora, Octillery and Ledian. Add in Unown and Delibird if you want to fix the gimmick mons, but I think Iron Bundle is probably the best compromise for 'fixing' Delibird.