Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Got my ribbon masters to the Switch games! Only missing a few ribbons now.

For gen 6, the contest strats this time are to use a move that pumps up the Pokemon and gives more appeal when pumped up. An easy combo for that is Double Team + Secret Power. The Battle Maison is hilariously easy since you can just go hyper offense in triples and steamroll.

Battle royales in gen 7 kind of suck and I'm glad that didn't return. Pretty much the best strategy is to go and killsteal. Alolan Muk is a great candidate for this since the AI really doesn't like to go after mons unless they can hit a supereffective move, or they're massively in the lead. Aegislash is also another good teammate, as its shield form's defensive stats are so high the AI doesn't like to target it. It'll likely still take a few tries though. Battle Tree doubles is the easier format to go for since triples is gone. I used a trick room team with Drampa + Oranguru as my leads. Instructed Hyper Voices are hilariously destructive.

Gen 8's battle tower is a complete and utter joke. Just sit back and relax as Zacian wrecks the place. Galarian Darmanitan is also a good pick, as is Dracovish.

The marks in gen 9 really suck to deliberately farm for, as RNG dictates when you'll get it, and it could take several hours of AFKing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zore posted:

I mean at this point the only Gen 2 mons that didn't get a later gen evo or regional form and actually need a boost are like... Meganium, Noctowl, Furret, Ariados, Sunflora, Octillery and Ledian. Add in Unown and Delibird if you want to fix the gimmick mons, but I think Iron Bundle is probably the best compromise for 'fixing' Delibird.

I mean you could probably include Sudowoodo and Mantine, since they only got pre-evos, which doesn't really solve their issues. I would add Magcargo since... oof.

(I think Mantine is actually fine, it's no star but it's got a niche)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ApplesandOranges posted:

I mean you could probably include Sudowoodo and Mantine, since they only got pre-evos, which doesn't really solve their issues. I would add Magcargo since... oof.

(I think Mantine is actually fine, it's no star but it's got a niche)

Yeah I meant Magcargo over Octillery which I actually think is a generally fine Pokemon I've used in multiple games.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

:eyepop:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Furnaceface posted:

Loudred is the middle evo, Exploud is the final.

Going to nitpick because its one of my favourite Pokemon in general.

Fixed! I think I just typed Loudred because I was glancing at my chart and looking at it while I was typing..

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I just want Johto gym leaders to mostly use Johto Pokemon

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Zore posted:

I mean at this point the only Gen 2 mons that didn't get a later gen evo or regional form and actually need a boost are like... Meganium, Noctowl, Furret, Ariados, Sunflora, Octillery and Ledian. Add in Unown and Delibird if you want to fix the gimmick mons, but I think Iron Bundle is probably the best compromise for 'fixing' Delibird.
Yes?

Jumpluff, Xatu and arguably Lanturn could also use a little bit of love too, but this isn't an insignificant amount of a 100 mon dex that really could use a glow up of sorts.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Saoshyant posted:

How so? I still haven't got to that game.

It's essentially one of the game's "Boss" Mons, in that it has an entire level dedicated just to itself. As such, it has a lot of unique and cute animations, movements, photo opportunities, etc.

It's also gigantic and sometimes if you do things right Shaymin will come out and ride on it's head :3:

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Overqwil should just be qwilfish’s evo imo

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Eh every gen has a Spinda or two. But abilities, Gen4 move sets, and the move split, buffed most Johtomons into perfectly serviceable or even outright good territory. Not everything needs to be VGC Worlds level. I used the Magcargo password egg in a HGSS run and he pulled his weight even in the Frontier. There’s only a few absolute trash heaps like Ledian and Sunflora who just have nothing and might as well be as unuseable as they were in gen2.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ledian getting a legitimately good ability in Iron Fist and being woefully unsuited to use it is probably some kind of cosmic joke.

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

The one and only time I was able to wring any usefulness out of Ledian was in Pokemon XD of all places, where it's at least a dual screen user in a doubles-centric game whos available super early, has an earthquake immunity and can actually leverage its poo poo offenses to chip shadow pokemon down for capture.

It's still not great, but it's something and I'll take it for my cutie-ptootie sentai ladybug

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Its in the nature of game design that there will always be units/playing pieces that are duds that should be avoided by serious players. Its impossible to make a game with that many different variables and all of them are viable.

Heck, these duds can prove to be a useful teaching tool on how to play the game.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

...Man, I'm glad that Let's Go Dex has no entry for Mew on HOME cause what the flying gently caress is this "can't transfer from anywere else, not even GO, only once from the overprized accessory". Meaning I can't get Meltan and Melmetal in Let's Go cause the empty dex entry will drive me nuts and I ain't paying Russian Roulette for an unused Pokeball near my area.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
my friend Meganium is NOT a dud

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

It's essentially one of the game's "Boss" Mons, in that it has an entire level dedicated just to itself. As such, it has a lot of unique and cute animations, movements, photo opportunities, etc.

It's also gigantic and sometimes if you do things right Shaymin will come out and ride on it's head :3:

Goodness, that sounds precious. Gonna give the game priority next time I can sit down.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

wizard2 posted:

my friend Meganium is NOT a dud

"You can't kill Mr. Stake! We have tried EVERYTHING!" ~ Team Four Star

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Happy birthday, Ivan Ooze

The Chikorita line being Crystal's hard mode is also pretty amusing given how brutal the early game is to grass types, on top of Team Rocket being incredibly Poison-based, and most of Silver's team winds up geared against Grass, and then you hit Lance...

Can't say I can cast stones, given I ended up with a Feraligatr, Gyarados, Lapras, Suicune, and Lugia team at one point

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Vinylshadow posted:

Can't say I can cast stones, given I ended up with a Feraligatr, Gyarados, Lapras, Suicune, and Lugia team at one point

Water as a type is solid enough of a type that you can comfortably run a mono-water team and not have a hard time.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hell, I was almost able to solo the GB release of Gen 1 with the Squirtle line (and have had pretty good luck with most of the water starters since then too)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zuzie posted:

Water as a type is solid enough of a type that you can comfortably run a mono-water team and not have a hard time.

How do you think they were able to make the Champion in Emerald the former water gym leader and still make it moderately challenging?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Found an interesting/conveniently laid out website to pick your favorite Pokemon of each type for each generation

https://cajunavenger.github.io/

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Scholtz posted:

Found an interesting/conveniently laid out website to pick your favorite Pokemon of each type for each generation

https://cajunavenger.github.io/

We had a big posting streak using that site 6 - 10 months ago, IIRC. :v:
I've had it bookmarked ever since. Here's the one I generated back then.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Porygon gang rise up

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

AlternateNu posted:

We had a big posting streak using that site 6 - 10 months ago, IIRC. :v:
I've had it bookmarked ever since. Here's the one I generated back then.

I've said it before but pokemon design is probably the only thing in the franchise that has consistently gotten better every single generation. I don't think there's been a gen where my favorite didn't change for at least one type.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 21, 2024

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Most of the region birds are better than pidgeot by miles.

Smogon Bird alone destroys the category.

Pidgeot isn't even good in gen1. Pidgeot freaking doesn't learn any flying type moves until super later.

When I first played yellow as a kid, I always thought spearrow looked cooler but I would already be invested in a pidgey by then. On later runs I realized how much more superior Fearow really is.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1782185642568417505

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1782186448562618407

All these Pokemon have Gold shinies for Golden Week.

EDIT: These guys are also back

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 22, 2024

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Ulio posted:

Pidgeot isn't even good in gen1. Pidgeot freaking doesn't learn any flying type moves until super later.

When I first played yellow as a kid, I always thought spearrow looked cooler but I would already be invested in a pidgey by then. On later runs I realized how much more superior Fearow really is.

lol pigeot doesnt even learn the one good flying move in gen 1

wing attack and peck both have 35 base power

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1782186448562618407

If you missed them the last few times, this might be your last chance.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It doesn't really matter since Pidgeot can just use Normal attacks since it's not like Flying attacks are doing you better against Rock types anyway, the one Ghost line is very flimsy, and you barely face any Grass or Bug types after Celadon. Plus you can just use Fly.

The important thing that it has is swagger.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

It doesn't really matter since Pidgeot can just use Normal attacks since it's not like Flying attacks are doing you better against Rock types anyway, the one Ghost line is very flimsy, and you barely face any Grass or Bug types after Celadon. Plus you can just use Fly.

The important thing that it has is swagger.

Ya but you can wreck Erika. I really like Spearow in Yellow and if B/R if you start Bulbasur.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
You need a Fly slave anyway so just use that. Fly has 70bp in RBY, with stab that’s enough for pidgeot to ohko any fighting/grass/bug that any npc might throw at you.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Araxxor posted:

Got my ribbon masters to the Switch games! Only missing a few ribbons now.

For gen 6, the contest strats this time are to use a move that pumps up the Pokemon and gives more appeal when pumped up. An easy combo for that is Double Team + Secret Power. The Battle Maison is hilariously easy since you can just go hyper offense in triples and steamroll.

Battle royales in gen 7 kind of suck and I'm glad that didn't return. Pretty much the best strategy is to go and killsteal. Alolan Muk is a great candidate for this since the AI really doesn't like to go after mons unless they can hit a supereffective move, or they're massively in the lead. Aegislash is also another good teammate, as its shield form's defensive stats are so high the AI doesn't like to target it. It'll likely still take a few tries though. Battle Tree doubles is the easier format to go for since triples is gone. I used a trick room team with Drampa + Oranguru as my leads. Instructed Hyper Voices are hilariously destructive.

Gen 8's battle tower is a complete and utter joke. Just sit back and relax as Zacian wrecks the place. Galarian Darmanitan is also a good pick, as is Dracovish.

The marks in gen 9 really suck to deliberately farm for, as RNG dictates when you'll get it, and it could take several hours of AFKing.

This rules!! Your shiny Dunsparce ending up three-segment is so cool lol

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

It's inspired me to try to get one of my own so I've re-learned how to chain in Platinum. You're all on notice because no doubt the Bank servers go dark the day my game decides to give me a Dunsparce outbreak.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

galagazombie posted:

You need a Fly slave anyway so just use that. Fly has 70bp in RBY, with stab that’s enough for pidgeot to ohko any fighting/grass/bug that any npc might throw at you.

Fly is two turns, I wanna go brrrt and drill peck pokemons to death.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

I made a new one of these post-DLC.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
i didn't fill out types that didn't exist in that gen

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

Thanks!

Also managed to get the master rank ribbon from reaching master ball rank in PVP on these fellas. Honestly wasn't too bad, I enjoy the PVP a lot. Thank god for rental teams, though if you want the ribbons, you have to do it with your own teams once you reach master ball rank. Used a balanced team that had some trick room support to blast away the competition. Flutter Mane + Chi-Yu is a very very stupid combination.

There is a very good reason they did not want Indeedee-F to be the Trick Room setter, and I am very surprised they did not force patch that out like with the Hydro Pump Drilburs back in SwSh. That extra bulk along with having access to Follow Me, and another Trick Room setter (Hatterene in my case) out at the same time means that the counterplay to that is very slim. They pretty much have to overwhelm both mons with damage to truly stop it from going up.

Now I pretty much only have 1 ribbon left and it's...

Oh.

The BDSP contest ribbon.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Araxxor posted:

Also managed to get the master rank ribbon from reaching master ball rank in PVP on these fellas. Honestly wasn't too bad, I enjoy the PVP a lot. Thank god for rental teams, though if you want the ribbons, you have to do it with your own teams once you reach master ball rank. Used a balanced team that had some trick room support to blast away the competition. Flutter Mane + Chi-Yu is a very very stupid combination.

There is a very good reason they did not want Indeedee-F to be the Trick Room setter, and I am very surprised they did not force patch that out like with the Hydro Pump Drilburs back in SwSh. That extra bulk along with having access to Follow Me, and another Trick Room setter (Hatterene in my case) out at the same time means that the counterplay to that is very slim. They pretty much have to overwhelm both mons with damage to truly stop it from going up.

Love this, because I play VGC and can never get that highly ranked in Master Ball lmao. Yeah, it’s definitely daunting but I feel pretty confidently anybody with sufficient gusto can make it at least into MB, but I tend to top out around 10k and just let my rank degrade until next season (which for cart ranked is on a monthly cadence)

I also think it rules you (independently?) hit upon the same hard Trick Room tactic Ben Grissmer piloted to top 4 at Vancouver, with both Indeedee and Hatt on the field at the same time to force the opponent into a guess. I prefer to play a team with at least a TR mode because I find TR really tough to outplay—which is bad news with the ice horse coming next Regulation—so unless I had a 0 Speed Eruption Torkoal in the back or something I would be cowering lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Got an Ogerpon for a Spearow on the GTS. I dunno if I should feel bad because whoever put it up obviously hosed up but OTOH they might have hosed up making it an impossible trade for some reason so gently caress 'em.