Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
So, what exactly are the clothing options? Are the four uniform choices all we have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I knew SV were going to be unpolished and janky, but I'm surprised and dismayed at how severe their technical problems are. The pop-in, lagging, etc., hugely detracts from the experience, and I've never felt so unenthusiastic towards the beginning of a core Pokémon game. Past generations had their own irritating problems, but I'd always been able to dig in on launch day and have some real fun.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
This really is a divisive game, and I'm surprised on where my opinion is landing. It's the first core Pokémon game I've played that hasn't resonated with me, and I've been there since the start of the series and played all of them (except for Let's Go and BDSP). Yes, I could get into and enjoy the troubled Sword/Shield generation, but this one is different. I keep poking around for a couple hours, feeling somewhat dissatisfied and frustrated by what I see and experience, and eventually stop. I haven't grown tired of the formula, as I was delighted by Legends Arceus just earlier this year. It's something else.

It feels like something important is missing from Scarlet/Violet. Maybe it's that I think that Legends Arceus did a similar concept far better, with more style and structure. Movement doesn't feel nearly as enjoyable in Scarlet/Violet, and there's there's very little of the fun of stalking, pursuing, and maneuvering around Pokémon in this game. I've only unlocked dashing, swimming, and gliding, but they all feel way less satisfying than their Legends Arceus counterparts. Of course Legends Arceus is a different beast of a game, developed separately and with different objectives, but Scarlet/Violet doesn't nail satisfying movement -- something that should've been very possible for a standard core Pokémon game. And movement and exploration that doesn't feel particularly good is a huge strike against a gigantic open world game. I can deal with ugly graphics and bugs, but there's a huge crack in the foundation of this game that undermines the whole thing. The charming monsters and fun battle system are still there, but they're diluted by a bloated and uninviting world.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I really wish the cycle was every 4 years instead of every 3, but I doubt they'll ever be allowed to have that time. There's a lot of other things such as the anime, the TCG, the side-games, and most importantly, the merch riding on that regular reliable cycle.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Echophonic posted:

the new Thief and Trick mechanic just dumps poo poo in your bag.
Do they place the items taken from wild Pokémon straight into your bag?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
5 star raids are no joke in this game. My endgame adventuring team is just not enough. What's the best way to level up a fresh and optimized team? I'd use Exp. Candies XL, but I can't reliably earn them yet. I tried to farm Chanseys, but they don't yield much exp for high level Pokémon.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

HopperUK posted:

If they bring Skarmory back I hope they let it land and just flap its wings or something. I hate the static gliding model. And I fuckin love Skarmory.

Sky Battles sure had a disastrous effect on many flying Pokémon's models. They finally fixed Tropius, one of the other worst offenders, so I'm guessing if other badly affected Pokémon like Xatu and Skarmory return, they'll also be given much more natural combat idles.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Man... I wish I could get excited about DLC and new Pokémon, but I just can't this time. Not when the base game is such a mess and it's barely been addressed. It's cool we're getting a couple new ones for free right now, at least.

I saw some people talking about clothes. Is it confirmed we can finally get out of that dreadfully limited uniform system? It's a small thing, but it does contribute to me not wanting to return to SV.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Does anyone else feel a little weird about casually attacking and KOing dozens of Pokémon at a time to harvest their body parts?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I'm actually (mostly) on board with the move purge. There's an astonishing amount of extremely niche moves that have little use in either leveling up during the campaign or competitive play, and trimming them seems like the smartest way of cutting down on bloat. I'm just baffled that they cut Signal Beam and left a big gap in special Bug type coverage.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Generation 3 was definitely the most hellish generation to complete the Pokédex legitimately, between there being no transfers from past games and there being no GTS, online trading, or online events. If you want a legitimate Ho-oh and Lugia, you need to finish XD and bust your rear end in a massive endgame challenge in Coliseum. Counting those two, it takes a minimum of 6 different games (Sapphire/Ruby/Leaf Green/Fire Red/XD/Coliseum) across two consoles to complete. It's a massive solo undertaking.

If they count, the mythicals were worst of all, as there were four of them and online distribution events didn't exist yet. I'm not even sure a legitimate English language Celebi event happened at all. I lucked out when I went in person to get an event Mew, since another person there kindly traded me a shady Deoxys and Celebi so I could finally be done.

Pokémon Sapphire was a dumb choice of game for me to be a completionist with, but I had a good time anyway that's just how much I love Pokémon. (Or at least, how much I used to before Scarlet/Violet squashed my delight for the series.)

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I've shared some of my thoughts on it here before, but it feels like something incredibly important is missing with S/V for me. Part of it is that Legends Arceus did a similar concept far better just a little earlier that same year, and part of it is that the game is so undercooked and buggy that it barely feels functional. Almost none of the new things it tries are executed satisfyingly to my tastes, and most of the formula that used to delight me just feels unrewarding and empty here. I really do wish I could enjoy it, but there is almost no joy to be found in it for me. :shrug:

There's no sign that any fixes are coming, and I doubt the DLC will remedy my issues with S/V, so I'm mostly just sitting out S/V and wondering if Pokémon's future will be any better than this. Legends Arceus proved there's still promise and potential innovation in the series, but will a game like it happen again? I'll have to see.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

wizard2 posted:

I think its pretty normal to fall in and out of love with the individual entries of a sprawling video game franchise. I know Im like that with Pokemon.

Not me. If I really like a game or a series, I can be contented staying with it indefinitely. I consistently enjoyed core Pokémon games, flaws and all, for over two decades until S/V finally broke that streak.

Speaking on the changes in Legends Arceus... IMO, the best part from Legends Arceus that could be safely translated over into future core Pokémon games without compromising the traditional formula is offering more mobility tools and making out of combat movement and exploration feel fluid and exciting. It was something I never had considered for the series before Legends Arceus tried it, but it makes the Pokémon world feel so much more immersive and enjoyable. S/V kinda went there... It's got the big map filled with secrets and treasures and sprinting, gliding, climbing, and swimming to explore and exploit it with, and it did make the smart move of condensing all the vehicles into a single one that's context-sensitive, but it lacks oomph and isn't satisfying. I can't quite a place a finger on why that is, but the bike dragon definitely feels more sluggish, more limited, and less powerful than the likes of Basculegion and Braviary.

I can understand if the series doesn't want to do big open maps with a full suite of exploration tools with every core entry going forward, but just even vehicles that operate similarly to Wyrdeer would be a delightful new standard.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

TheThirst posted:

I'm playing through Pokemon Crystal, which I snagged on the Virtual Console right before it went down. I've never played it before and while I do miss 20 years of quality of life changes, I'm having a lot of fun with it. Got an Elekid from the Odd Egg and stumbled upon a Heracross early on and they've been MVPs. The only thing that's killing me is how hard it is to catch legendaries in this generation, I'm trying to do it legitimately but I may break down and just clone some Master Balls when I get one.

If there's a reasonable method to clone Master Balls, I strongly recommend doing that. Catching the roaming legendaries is the worst, but even the stationary ones are a pain. I had a fun time with VC Crystal until I attempted to catch Lugia, and after several attempts where it stubbornly used Recover over and over to waste my time until it ran out of PP and used Struggle to faint itself, I just put the game down and never came back.

I'm glad newer Pokémon games cooled it on the absurdly low catch rates for legendaries (thank you, Timer/Repeat/Dusk Balls) and ditched the massively unfun roaming legendaries.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I think they made a huge mistake with SV by having one giant continuous world map and not splitting it off into several big maps like Legends Arceus did. Having everything on one giant map makes me very conscious of how empty it feels, now that you can plainly see that the region is a giant expanse of low-detail ocean, fields, and mountains with some tiny rest stops scattered around and roads running through it. Paldea is supposedly a well-established region that's been settled by humans for over a millennia, but it sure doesn't feel like it.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

indigi posted:

yeah Paldea definitely could have used more cities/towns without gyms that had their own little quest lines to feel more complete. they could even incorporate some evolution mechanics into it, like you can evolve Finizen if you go to PokeAndorra and team up with the mayor to fuckin, idk, help clear the local mine's Zubat infestation

I really loved getting one hub town with a lot of quests in Legends Arceus, some with progressing stories and changes to the town. I wasn't expecting a similar experience in SV, but I was struck by how weirdly empty and pointless its cities felt. I think its cities are one of the worst-affected parts of its short development cycle.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Raging Bolt... :wtc: Origin Forme Palkia is no longer the most uncanny looking Pokémon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I booted up Violet for the first time in a long time because of a friend of mine bought Scarlet after skipping the series for 9 years, and he wanted to take a variety of useful Pokémon along on his adventure. At his request I've been setting him up with a stream of good-quality Pokémon that are either new and interesting or reliable old favorites, along with supplies for making them work well, and he's having a ball.

It was wonderful to hear all his excitement about the game, especially since I got the pleasure of informing him of some earth-shaking quality of life changes since he last touched the series. He used to be deeply involved in competitive play in older generations, so he cares about the finer mechanics of the core Pokémon games. Since Gamefreak used to be so inflexible about many important mechanics, it's a pleasant surprise to him that bad IVs and natures can just be inexpensively corrected, and consumable hold items come back after a battle ends, enabling a lot of strategies that were normally off the table in the single player story campaign – strategies he gets to use now! But when it came time to do the more concrete support for his campaign such as hatching eggs and generating TMs, it felt weird to play it again myself.

The experience of trawling the region for treasure and Pokémon fights feels like it should be joyful, but before too long, Violet always punches me in the face with major problems I can't overlook and interrupts any good vibes. I think the worst is the change to the breeding system. In older generations I used to get into the flow and bike around for hours to complete complex breeding projects, but feeding a Ditto and its partner a ham sandwich and awkwardly standing there for several minutes while waiting for eggs to appear doesn't feel good. I just want to do the minimum and get out.

Well, at long last I finally got some genuine fun out of Paldea. Once my friend is finished with the campaign, he wants try battling with each other with our in-game teams. I have a feeling that my lineup of slackers can't handle the likes of a near-optimized Iron Valiant and Dragapult, but I'll see what happens.