Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Game good. I just wish they'd given the Paradoxes actual dex entries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

Whats up with all these raids that just hang on trying to connect and then time out? My internet aint that bad. Are the lobbies just full/started and the game doesn't have the kindness to tell me and let me try a different lobby?

400 people click on the 5-star raid but only 4 can join, and instead of saying "sorry we're full" it just hangs out. (Or something equally dumb).

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Flopsy posted:

I know the target audience is kids, I keep telling myself this--but goddamn can you little shits NOT bring your goddamn dragon into the raid for the fifteenth goddamn time!? It's maddening. I know they want to show off their special new pokemon I get it but Jesus Christ.

i have said it before and i will say it again: bring back the type effectiveness quiz from SM, ask a question when you sign into online, and pair up people who got it right with each other, and people who got it wrong with each other.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Metapod posted:

Okay what's this 1000 step bullshit to evolve how do you track this

Go to the top of a lighthouse. Throw them out with ZR. Walk in a circle for 5m. Then, while they are still out, level them up with a candy. You can't do it thru autobattle or in-battle levelups.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I am greatly enjoying seeong people Flare Blitz a raid boss and jist one-shot themselves with recoil. Extremely lol.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Yeah ev and ivs can be changed at 100. I'll find you some intro to vgc guides and post them momentarily.

Note, you can now do hyper training at 50, not 100.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I'm loving raiding with an Umbreon that has [Screech / Reflect / Helping Hand / Charm]. Given the insane prevalence of Iron Hands, it works insanely well. Gonna build a similar Sylveon for Fighting/Fairy types. And, of course, this helps me set up the hilarious Screech -> Helping Hand a Koraidon and watch them one-shot themselves with flare blitz.

My biggest gripe at this point is... everything to do with the raid UI, really, but especially that you can only actually use your menus for very brief periods of time, so I feel like I'm racing to actually input a move in the tiny window before I lose control again. I'd especially like to be able to check the board state, who's powered up / is my reflect still up / etc., during the endless animation downtime.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Syenite posted:

New exploit: at least for 5/6 star raids, the guests (but NOT the host) get the exact same rewards win or lose, you just don't see a reward screen if you lose.

Lol what the hell. Amazing.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I am amazed by the slowdown on water, in part because I can sometimes reduce it dramatically but by doing opposite things. Sometimes moving the camera all the way up will double my framerate... sometimes lowering it to the very horizon will do it. Awe inspiring.

I am also genuinely loving that raid battles allow me to play a support/healer role for when Belly Drum Iron Hands is not going to get the job done on its own. Saw somebody running a Chansey with Light Screen / Life Dew and shed a single tear of joy.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

big black turnout posted:

I strongly considered the duck but I hate the final form which pushed me to the cat

Edit: have any of the games had starters that weren't fire water grass? It would be cool to have one that was a different triangle

It's funny, THIS GAME has a cool reverse-triangle in the final forms... which you will never ever ever see in the plot missions because trainers always tera their ace, removing the cool secondary type :v:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Heliotropical posted:

What's the best way to prepare for 6 star raids? The exploit where guests still gets items is useful and all, but I'd like to be able to get some sort of consistency with winning when the exploit is inevitably patched out. What kind of mons, EV spread and items is most useful for tackling them? I'm assuming that doing the old max speed + attack investment isn't very useful for raids.

Speed doesn't matter much as you'll be trading half a dozen hits anyway. Max HP and your preferred attacking stat is the way, altho I think support mons could make a case for HP and a defense stat. Survival is very important--it's better to resist the boss's STAB types than have your own be effective against their Tera, for example.

Buffs and debuffs also matter a LOT. Screens are great because they stack with other def buffs and survive the raid boss clearing your buffs. Screech/Metal Sound are also really good, stacking with your allies' Belly Drum or Swords Dance. Pure status moves can't debuff through the shield but moves that also damage, like Snarl or Lunge or Nuzzle, will still have secondady effects.

AFAICT, 99% of raids can be beat with a Belly Drum Iron Hands or an Umbreon with screens, Screech and Helping Hand. Except Annihilape, who is indestructible.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Charizard raid rules. Lots of sylveons and azumarills, and not a single box legendary to be seen.

PSA: if you use Screech and your ally Azumarill usess Belly Drum -> Play Rough, you will fully one-shot him through all the bullshit. I've been having a great time with Umbreon and [Light screen / Screech / Helping Hand / Snarl], or a similar Sylveon with Rain Dance.

e: also, you cannot use the 6IV, level 100 Charizard in raids, which makes me lol, but also thank god I don't nerd an even weaker defensive mon than the box legendaries clogging up every raid for the next month.

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 2, 2022

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Please for the love of god do not Rain Dance in the Charizard raids. Hurricane is easily its most threatening move to Azumarill due to the /water typing blunting the fire stuff and rain makes it 100% accurate.

yeah it's just for when it uses Sunny Day at the end, if you're even spending any time in that phase. Better to face accurate hurricanes than face every move being 50% more powerful.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Okay, WTF?! I just found a shiny Mareep a little while ago, now this??? I have zero buffs going, no shiny charm, no outbreak. Full odds. Just landed on a cliff and there they were.

Practically on top of each other when I started the battle.

I couldn't believe it lol. If anyone in here is good with math, could you estimate what the odds of this happening is? It has to be waaaay less than 1 in 4069.

I've got a similar shot somewhere from Sun/Moon in which I was trying to catch shiny Beldum in an SOS battle, and before I had the chance to paralyze the first one that showed up, a second one showed up. Although I could only get one, since in Moon, you could only catch a pokemon if there wasn't another on the field :'[

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Flopsy posted:

Anyone have suggestions on what kind of nature/set to use with scream tail? I'm leaning towards a physical one with bulk up because drain punch allows more consistent recovery. But stored power with calm mind is viable too. Let's be honest both are just trying to patch up it's crappy attack stat but handing it a life orb would probably make a world of difference.

Its offenses are pretty bad, so it's better suited for a defensive or utility role in my mind. Stealth Rock, substitute, screens, wish, all seem like viable options. Trying to rely on bulk up / calm mind sounds like a good way to get hit with Encore or Taunt before you get threatening, and taken out. If you're trying to patch up a bad attack stat, use someone with better attack!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Yeah it's the regular Capsule that swaps between normal abilities. Also, notably, ability capsules will now let you change Hidden Abilities back into normal ones, where it only used to go the other way! I guess this is since they're gonna forbid pokemonm from keeping old moves they shouldn't have anymore, so Machamp with No Guard and Fissure will still be impossible.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Why can Breloom only 'remember' Spore if it learned it as a Shroomish? She's got a giant mushroom head, you're telling me she forgot that ONE trick when she evolved?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Dienes posted:

Just as an FYI, I've had a lot of luck getting version exclusives trading with randos using these codes: https://www.dexerto.com/pokemon/pokemon-scarlet-violet-trade-codes-1997432/

Thanks for posting this. I'm now one Koraidon away from finishing the dex (finally!)

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Anyone have any idea if Blissey's 'Healer' ability works in raids? I'm not clear on what exactly an 'adjacent' pokemon is and how that's worked in these 4-v-1 contexts. I would just test it out but I'm reluctant to burn an ability patch on it.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Vandar posted:

Giving Yawn to raid Pokemon is a dick move.

Misty Terrain and/or Safeguard FTW. I've been enjoying Grimmsnarl with Misty Terrain, Reflect, Chilling Water, and [fourth move of your choice].

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Saagonsa posted:

In my experience, if you know someone else who has the game, its much better to duo 6 stars than getting a full team of randos. Being able to ask for a heal and such is really a game changer.

Today I learned a valuable exception to this rule: Heracross, whose hidden ability is Moxie, gets a strength boost every time an NPC faints. Which is a lot.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Reposting for the 3rd time in the thread how extremely glad i am that my boy Umbreon is good and relevant again. Snarl × Light Screen just owns so hard. We're doing it, buddy :unsmith:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Really wish more mons had Clear Smog tho, it feels like a raid with Bulk Up or Moxie is just unbeatable without a premade. I guess I could run Haze but idk if thaf works through raid shields and anyway I don't wanna undo my ally's Belly Drum.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Wonder if they'll add back in the 'set' battle option and 'no battle scene' options in a patch. That felt like an utterly bizarre thing to remove, and I'm hoping it was just 'we ran out of time to do this' and not 'actually we decided you should have to press even MORE buttons no matter what.'

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Framboise posted:

I can't speak for the "set" option but I feel like the battle animations need to be there or else the game will desync or break or something if you're playing online

I feel like the online raids would actually be 1000x smoother if it wasn't dependent on waiting for animations, especially with the incredibly long animation for going tera and using a tera attack. Well, that and if there was just an even log instead of individual three-second pop-ups for every notification. God forbid the raid mon uses Leer or Bulldoze!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Nessa posted:

They still haven’t fixed Eelektross’s model though. I don’t like him hovering in the air. I like him with his little fins on the ground to waddle around on.

Its one and only ability is levitate...

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

big black turnout posted:

Any advice for umbreon raids? My raid builds are azu and iron hands so I get poo poo housed by foul play

ninja edit: I tried looking online but Google only wants to give me builds for using Umbreon in raids

Sounds like maybe a special attacker, perhaps with bug or fairy type attacks, would be useful.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

You say that like it was a bad thing. SV had all of two dungeons that I found(tunnels to ice mountain south of it, tunnels to psychic gym) and I only found those after the game and when I was dicking around without my mount respectively. And those two dungeons lacked any punch at all because you could just walk through them picking up items.

Your movement in this game is so powerful and the obstacles are so weak (you can literally ignore trainers and avoid random encounters) that it becomes a featureless path between a and b regardless of whatever zig zagging you do along the way picking up items. Those "hallways" full of dudes to overcome were 100x more involved than these giant open spaces that you can move freely around in without any real opposition. Maybe if I couldn't zip over literally anything and there was a challenge in moving from a to b the open world would have worked for me, but here it wad just a detriment.

Yeah, once you get all of your ride-buddy's upgrades, the world is essentially a featureless plain from a gameplay perspective, it's all just aesthetics. Which is... well, what I've resigned myself to expecting. They are never going to make a game that's not designed to be beatable by an 8 year old, and clearly view the older games as too hard.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

it's fine, anyone who REALLY loves their pokemon puts it in a luxury ball.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

ok so we all know where pokemon eggs come from. but where does the newly-hatched pokemon's pokeball come from? why does a friend ball cost me 350,000 at the auction house, but my pokemon can craft them by the dozen while we picnic?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

The Pokemon world is a matrix-esque simulation. Eggs are programmed to appear under circumstances where two compatible pokemon are engaging in leisure but to never spawn where a person is looking. Which is why they spawn in the basket. Pokemon turn into raw data when they are put into a pokeball, and the machine that heals pokemon simple sets their HP and PP values to 'full'. I mean items that teach them moves are discs FFS.

Sorry, I think you may have confused this wish a second monster franchise, one with a far better TV show but far worse games.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Grandito posted:

Are there any kind of in-game hints for finding all the cursed stakes? I'm trying to do it without using a guide and it's pretty tough.

Do they just expect you to wander around randomly until you find them?

There are no clues. They're visible quite a ways a way at night, although that doesn't help with the ones that are way up high or in caves or whatever. I think I found maybe 4 or 5 of them organically, and maybe another half by just combing the countryside? But yeah it's infeasible without a guide, the same way you're never, ever going to figure out how to evolve Palafin or Rellor without a guide.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Got my shiny charm, made a rock sandwich, got a shiny Glimmora. Sandwiches ftw.

Is there an actual guide to what the powers actually DO? There seem to be a range of things that, like, "raid power" could mean, and it doesn't seem to be explained in game anywhere i could find.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

Most of them are self explanatory - encounter power for example, but there's a couple of weird ones
Humongo/Teensy Power influences the size scale, which, while not as dramatic as Alpha Pokemon were, is still a thing. Good if you're looking for a tiny pokemon's shiny and it's impossible to loving see otherwise, or if you just think Big Pokemon Are Cool (correct)
Raid Power - When you do a raid of that type you get more rewards at the end.
Title Power - more likely that pokemon will be able to be named something like Gyarados the Unsociable or whatever. Titles are really loving obtuse and annoying to get without ribbons, as it turns out! Also no you can't see if something has one unless you catch it and turn it on. These were put in to torture completionists, I'm pretty sure. (one of the titles can only be gotten from a pokemon that's been surprise traded. Ribbon enthusiasts hate it!!!!)

They're only intuitive once you know what they are. Like, "Raid Power: Dark" could conceivably mean your Dark monsters do more damage in raids, or you do more damage to Dark raid bosses and/or take less damge from them... but what it ACTUALLY means is you get more rewards from Dark raids.

...which I learned because there IS an official resource, but like yall are saying it's impossible to find amid the meaningless garbage. https://scarletviolet.pokemon.com/en-us/trainers-guide/the-wondrous-foods-and-picnics-of-paldea/#meal-powers

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

TheDK posted:

I really suck at picking the right mons for tera raids. Starting farming for an adamant Iron Hands last night to pump up. If anyone wants an Iron Hands I have a few boxes of them.

Also if anyone wants to trade bike mons, I have Miraidon in a master ball that I can trade later tonight.

Iron Hands is great because it can power up so fast, but really any pokemon that 1) has decent survivability and 2) learns either Swords Dance or Nasty Plot can be good on offense, and honestly anyone that gets screens and any debuff move (ideally one like Spirit Break that does damage and so can still be used when they're shielded up) will be good on support.

The number one thing is survivability though, especially once you're doing 6-star raids, it REALLY makes a difference to be max level, have full HP EVs at least, and at least not be weak against their attacking types. If you're building out a squad, try to have ones that complement each other defensively.

Also though, sometimes your allies just make it unsalvageable. I had a six-star raid today with someone who brought their starter and just got one-shot over and over again -- there was no way we were gonna come back from that one.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

The difficulty isn't annoying, it's the incredible jank. Sometimes you sit there for 60+ seconds unable to even navigate the menu because you have to watch everyone's tera animations happen offscreen, and the boss has to do its debuffs, and use a weather move, and everyone does their painfully long tera attack animations, and then 15 more seconds of nothing at all because gently caress you.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Hammerite posted:

Goons always matter of factly asserting things that they came up with that I have no idea how they arrived at them or what they're based on. Sometimes I just feel like posts have a multi-volume backstory I wasn't in the room for

goons love to interpret the game for 8 year olds as though it is Disco Elysium

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

ROFL Octopus posted:

Why tf is 6 star dragonite at +3 Attack +4 Speed after a single Dragon Dance

It moves four times a turn, once against each of you. So sounds like it Dragon Danced four times, and got hit with one Intimidate / Chilling Water / whatever.

Buff moves for raid bosses are insanely busted. Wish there were more options for Clear Smog.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

That absolutely cannot be true, I only unlocked 6 stars yesterday and have seen loads of 3 and 4 star ones in my world before.

e: Serebii says that that 4 star unlocks after 6 gym badges. Though it also says you should have zero 1 and 2 star raids post-credits and that does not agree with my experience either I don't think? https://www.serebii.net/scarletviolet/teraraidbattles.shtml

I think Rofl means you no longer get 1 and 2 star raids after you unlock 6s, which is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Specifically, the trigger to get more boxes is having at least one pokemon in each box. So if you want to skip it, just put one in all eight, then one more in the eight more you get, and you'll unlock all 32.