Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Made my choice. Going with Scarlet. I don't like the orange so much, but the pokemon are so much better overall.

What happens if you fall into the void like that youtube video? Presumably it puts you back somewhere within bounds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
an hour or two in, not encountered any severe graphical issues but the game isn't as smooth as it should be. Pauses in cutscenes when the scene changes and stuff. Hopefully they patch it (again) and make it smoother.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
the camera thing isn't an issue, you can just bully it into doing what you want by using the right stick. it's fine. there are much worse issues in the game!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I spent a while wandering around the first city and ended up feeling really hungry. Wonder why that happened

Also encountered my first gameplay-affecting bit of jank - there's a cobblestone slope somewhere in the city and the game let me walk onto it (I wanted to see if there was a hidden item round the corner) but it was quite difficult to get the game to let me walk off it again

Thanks to Drashin on Discord for giving me a Quaxly egg. My party so far is Minty Paws the Sprigatito, Miss Piggy the uh, pig whose name I forget, Cakenine the Fidough and Queer Duck the Quaxly who is currently being trained up

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

HootTheOwl posted:

Can I? I can tell there's fast travel points on the map but it wasn't explained to me yet I think do I just put all my Pokemon in the PC except a level 3 Diglett and a Magikarp kill me

Someone (your mum? the school director?) mentions it offhand really early on before it's in any way useful. when they talk to you about your phone

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
in the classroom just after you get introduced to the class, as you walk past the desks the pupils' pieces of paper quickly teleport to the floor under their chairs and back

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
getting pretty sick of Nemona

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Tender Bender posted:

The thing that's most irking me about moment-to-moment play has nothing to do with the tech issues, it's that the camera controls have no vertical dead zone so it's almost impossible to rotate left to right without also swinging it up or down drunkenly and then having to correct it.

I don't have this problem. are you sure you're not actually drunk?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Something I didn't realise because I was catching loads of pokemon but ignoring the pokedex - go in there and press x and you get a load of items for adding mons to the dex

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
The most distracting graphical jank I've seen so far has been rock/earth textures distorting as you walk closer to them. Hoppip flying past my face at 100 mph was funny too.

The bug gym puzzle is kind of badly designed. It's weird that you can skip like, almost the entire course.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Blaziken386 posted:

https://twitter.com/TheAbsol/status/1594067626384248833?s=19https://twitter.com/TheAbsol/status/1594067626384248833?s=19

the fact that they made some of the new shinies look like this, and then also didnt implement the overworld shiny sound, sure was a choice

that's not viewable. it's adult content apparently

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Game Freak are my friends and they are going to patch the game on Tuesday

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Just got through the desert zone to the west town. I appreciate them putting mazes back in the game, after all the routes in sword/shield that were barely disguised corridors. I like a good maze.

Me and Arven are apparently a pretty decent team. We finished off the Titan in only two turns.

Saw a Klawf hanging from a wall. Only problem was, it was two or three feet clear of the wall, hanging in the air.

My team now has 5 mons in it, I added Barbecute the Charcadet.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
The battles absolutely feel like everything takes an ice age. The worst is when Klawf's ability goes off and it separately tells you about each of the 5 stats going up or down, each accompanied by an animation that plays separately from the message appearing. Do the animation and the message at the same time! You got that to work in previous games!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Just poo poo-stomped the second Titan. Is anyone else's head canon that you and a select handful of NPCs are the only ones with the cognitive faculties to understand type advantages? Or that you can have more than two 'mons?

In-universe everyone else thinks that type advantages are chess grandmaster-style advanced play. Hence story NPCs always remarking in surprise and admiration when you use a supereffective move, to them you're the next Kasparov

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Every trainer since like Gen 2 (I don't think it was in Gen 1 at least) are programmed to go for super effectiver moves if they have them i'm pretty sure.

Wasn't the gym leader AI in gen 1 programmed to try to use moves of a super effective type, but it didn't make a distinction between attacks and status moves? Pretty sure I remember that.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

drat you're right, PLA's mechanical changes were dogshit and it wasn't actually faster.

What the... why, that's not what their post said at all!!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

That guy is extremely mad

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Zuzie posted:

Its funny because it does answer some fan requests: People wanted a dolphin and flamingo Pokemon and wanted Dunsparce to evolve... and they literally got all that.

where's my capybara pokemon GF

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
the gym receptionists can stop staring at my crotch whenever they like

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Hammerite posted:

the gym receptionists can stop staring at my crotch whenever they like

that goes for the gym receptionists in the video game too btw

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
it doesn't matter if you lose a pokemon battle in the video game. It's not an indelible mark on your save file or an affront to your gaming honour. you don't have to reset the game and pretend it never happened

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

ROFL Octopus posted:

So since we have a couple more hours of the Eevee event, what are good Tera types for the Eeveelutions?

drat am I missing Content already? I only have 10 badges so far

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

flying taxi driver sucked me off??

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I thought they had just given Pikachu and Eevee back their old cries in PLA because it was time travel to the past, before they got their newer cries. Like I thought it was a subtle joke. I don't know why I thought that. Anyway I think it's bad because I can't pretend to myself any more that they made that joke, but also at the same time I think it's good because it's better that pokemon make game boy noises rather than say their names.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Syenite posted:

New exploit: at least for 5/6 star raids, the guests (but NOT the host) get the exact same rewards win or lose, you just don't see a reward screen if you lose.

I don't know that I'd call that an exploit (it's not like you could choose to avoid it while playing the game as designed) although presumably it's a bug and also it's fairly funny

Maybe if you go out of your way to tank raids to farm items it could be argued that you're using it as an exploit.

Man I need to get to the end of the story before they patch this

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I hope they fix the slow sprite loading in the patch that is surely coming any day now

It's really annoying when using the boxes

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
the Great Patch is coming any day now and we will all be lifted to a better place by the glory of the lord Arceus. He will deliver us from bugs and from want, and from that really annoying thing the game keeps doing that you hate, you know the one

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Is the duck really unpopular? That's a shame. I like it although I really don't like to look at his gross tail feathers, so it's a bit of a mixed bag

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Larryb posted:

In SV’s case Arven and Nemona look slightly older than the MC at least but I’m not completely sure on that

i would say the PC looks about 13 and Arven and Nemona both look about 15

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
the duplication glitches known are for items and the ride pokemon, are they? have there been any known glitches allowing other pokemon to be duplicated?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

oddium posted:

it says here the duplication glitch requires a lack of good moral character

:hai:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Non Compos Mentis posted:

It's a bit weird that the game set in not Spain has Chinese sounding names for the legendaries

"it's a bit weird that game set in country X has things from country Y" - they've been doing this for years though. The musketeers were introduced in Unova even though they went on to France the very next gen after that.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Hrist posted:

So, I love the SV and all. But as someone who reads all the dex entries as I try to fill the whole thing out every game, I'm noticing that about 80 of the 100+ that I caught so far are described as "Pizza Boi: Some dude died, there was a pizza nearby, and now this happened." It was fine for a few ghosts now and then a few gens back. But I swear half of these aren't even ghosts either.

I laughed when I read the Pachirisu one because it's something like "it's one of those cute pokemon with electric cheek sacs. You know the ones we're talking about. Pikachus"

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Tender Bender posted:

If they want it to have some kind of cost or effort I would add a system that's like, "Omega Tera raids" where you "release" the Pokemon and fight a tough version of it to catch in a new ball. They could say you're releasing it in this special tera crystal cave so it can't escape or fly away, but the tradeoff is it gets really strong and you have to recapture it.

I think this is a good idea. I also think they should add different palette versions of the existing balls that you can switch between at will, so there are like 4 different coloured versions of the basic Poke ball, 4 different great balls etc. Just to add customisation

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I found my first shiny in SV (that I noticed). It's a Buizel

13/18 badges. Game continues to be great despite the technical flaws. I want every pokemon game from now on to be open world. After PLA and this I don't want to go back

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
The little short ones they made were good. There was one with Scraggy and Mimikyu, and there was one that set up the intro sequence to Red/Blue with a nidorino... were there others?

I'm not going to use my apricorn balls when I get them so I'll probably trade them to people who want them. I don';t have them yet, I'm on 15 badges. One to get from each track

Charcadet is really lagging behind the rest of my team in what it can do, it's the only one still unevolved. I hope I can get the item somewhere before I reach the endgame, it's getting to be a drag and I want it to be the best it can be.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

I hadn't seen that one before! That is great and I believe in Bidoof now

The Fighting type Team Star battle was refreshingly difficult. The starmobile was a pretty tough wall for my team even though I outleveled it by 6 levels. It's a beast after using Shift Gear and it turns out my team all have weaknesses to at least one of its moves. Took 2 tries

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I got tired of not knowing where to get the evo item for Charcadet so I looked it up and it's... some NPC I remember talking to that said something like "bring me 10 Bronzor hides and I will give you something good"

wtf? I just thought "ok I'll do that some time after I beat the game" and forgot about it. If he'd actually said what I would get from him I'd have stirred myself to bring him the Bronzor teeth he wanted.

Game continues to be good, reached the "end" screen for the Titan and Team Star storylines. Have one gym to do. It's the one that's really high up in the south west. I think I'm going to massively outlevel it and it'll be an anticlimax. I thought you had to get the climbing power and climb up the big mountain, so that's what I did, but I guess there's a back way you're actually supposed to use. lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
update: I went to farm Bronzor shavings and ended up catching a green one. I don't even mind that the little poo poo only gave me one Bronzor feather.

I have so many Gimmighoul coin and yet I've never even read the white paper