Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

this should be in the op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

The amount of jank is... yeah, it's bad.

Doesn't matter how charming a game is imo, you shouldn't be allowed to release a $60 game like this. Especially if you're a multi-billion $ company.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I don't have any particularly funny twitter clips or anything, here's a video I took from my own switch:

https://i.imgur.com/CCVCCAy.mp4

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I burst out laughing irl at this.

I will say that having continued playing, I am having a good time catching and collecting mons. But to be fair that's kind of the hard to gently caress up part of pokemon. I still think the amount of jank is incredibly bad for the price they're asking. Maybe I'm salty because I'm a poor, idk.

(There's also other stuff that annoys me like there being only 4 outfits. Which is so dumb because the npc design is good!)

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Framboise posted:

I think you have until the beginning of the year to get the Flying Tera-type Pikachu?
Idk if that really counts, does it? I remember reading here that there's an item that lets you change tera type later on if you really want to?

I did a pikachu raid earlier actually, so now I have a grass tera pikachu.

Larryb posted:

Also how does the whole Tera system work and how soon in the game can you start using it/doing raids (also can your starter use it as well)?

You get a mini-tutorial about it really early on and then literally any pokemon in paldea can use it.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

Oh poo poo, I beat the bug gym but didn't know I was supposed to go to grass. This game isn't great about telling you where to go next!

You can literally ask the pokecenter about where to go next, they'll even mark it on the map for you. I did the bug gym, then they recommended I do the flying titan and then the dark star base.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I think level-scaling might've been nice, but yeah, there ARE so many pokemon that if you want you can just whip out a bunch of lower leveled ones from your box and play with them for a while, I guess.

Anyway, I was sending my Pawmo into battle and it said something like "Artemis the Reliable Partner!" and i was like? huh? I guess?

Turns out it has a "Partner Mark" which gives it a title! :3: (This is different than the "best friends ribbon" which you get when you become best friends and show off your pokemon to the friendship checker lady, which gives you a separate title.)

I haven't played since sun/moon, so tera raids are also new to me, and I have fun finding them and then taking them on with internet randos. Out of curiosity I looked up 6 star raids and they are level 90 I think? which if I'm correct means there's a reason to have a leveled roster. (Outside of battling/competitive stuff, which I have traditionally not been interested in.) Speaking of competitive, while I personally don't care for it, I am definitely interested in seeing how people utilize the tera feature.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

yeah losing 19% battery in the span of a few minutes is not normal by any stretch of imagination

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I caught my first shiny! :3:

I didn't play PLA but I really do wish they had some kind of sound/visual indicator on the overworld that they are shiny (other than, you know, their color being different). I get that pokemon being small or whatever is part of the world-building but to be honest, I feel like it makes it harder to appreciate a lot of the designs.

Also I was surprised to learn that GTS isn't a thing. Last I played was sun/moon and I completed the regional dex and got my shiny charm in that game by doing a bunch of trades. Nothing like getting a legendary for a starter or other similar wacky poo poo I pulled off back then.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Just finished the endgame stuff today and really enjoyed the story at the end there. And the characters are overall very wholesome, which was nice.

Now to work on completing the dex...

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Dang, guess my raids are unpopular then. Sometimes my 5* fills up in a few seconds but other times no one joins the entire time, or I have to wait a couple minutes.

(Idk if it's just mons no one wants to fight or if it's just a netcode thing though.)

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Whoo! I did it. :)

I found 3 shinies - a shiny hawlucha, a random shiny gothita I hatched while hatching some for my pokedex, and then a shiny spidops while I was trying to evolve a kingambit. Since you can see shinies in the overworld, I think everyone is bound to find one or two eventually just by virtue of playing. That said I would love for there to be an actual indication aside from the color. Some pokemon are so small (or some shinies so subtle) that I wouldn't be surprised if I missed more that I just didn't see.

Anyway, my goal now will be to raise some strong pokemon up for raids. 5*s are iffy (sometimes people bring stupid poo poo - sometimes I am the people that bring stupid poo poo :downs: - sometimes someone two-shots the boss and I want to be that someone) and 6*s will definitely require actual preparation. Once I get to do those, I should finally get some herba mysticas which can also be used to hunt shinies in outbreaks.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

blizzardvizard posted:

A Gholdengo can solo a majority of tera raids, even 6 star ones, with Nasty Plot + Metal Sound + Recover + Make It Rain. The idea is to setup then oneshot the raid mon bypassing the tera shield entirely, and Gholdengo's massive SpA, good defensive typing, and status move immunity makes the strat more consistent than with other mons. Replace the last move with a nuke of your choice like Hyper Beam, Focus Blast, Thunder, Hex with a status inflicting teammate, etc depending on the raid mon's resistances.

For party play, 4x Perrserker as said above is probably gonna be the popular choice. It's also following the same principle, the host Perrserker sets up with Taunt and Swords Dance while the ally Perrserkers use Screech, attack chants, and Helping Hand to boost the host's cat, then the host cat oneshots with Iron Head.

I raised a Gholdengo to try that strat out earlier and... it's okay, I guess. If you can get off 3x nasty plot and 3x metal sound without dying or having your buffs/debuffs negated then you will in fact one shot almost anything. Usually you can recover/cheer HP instead of dying but the chance of the opponent screwing up your buffs/debuffs seems kind of high to me, and it's really frustrating. (Maybe someone will come in with some math about a lower number of moves you can apply, idk.)

4x Purrserker is the party play strat, yeah. Haven't tried it since I don't have a party to play with but it seems solid.

That said, there are a few other heavy hitters. I currently have an Iron Hands with belly drum and close combat, thunder punch, and earthquake, holding a booster energy. It covers a lot of types and is only really weak to ground, psychic, and fairy and is a lot easier to pull off. If the rest of your team isn't braindead and you're not against something that's super effective against you then it works quite well.

To really cover more possibilities I think I'll raise an Iron Moth next.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Larryb posted:

Also how do you get Chansey to spawn? I’ve had a bunch of ham sandwiches in some of the areas they’re supposed to appear (as I hear they’re the fastest way to grind EXP in the game) but still have only managed to find like one or two. Does eating more than one sandwich in an area increase your chances?

You can only have effects from one sandwich at a time. It sounds like you're in the wrong area because when I ham sandwiched it up I could chain chanseys all day. My preferred spot was the east side of the fairy team star base, although I'm sure there are others.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

As for the theory pokemon mentioned (final boss spoiler) I think people are looking too hard into it and the pokemon really are from the past/future. I mean you LITERALLY see a master ball pop out, catch a mon and then get thrown at you in the final boss fight. I think there's something weird and alien down there but also there's a legit time machine

It's mentioned by Arvin himself that it's weird that the mons in the violet/scarlet book were drawn/mentioned like 200 years before the professor ever created the time machine. Pretty sure this is where they get the name paradox pokemon from. So I'll concede that they could indeed be from the future/past but the time machine wasn't what caused them to originally be there. So then there is indeed something else that is either pulling them into the area or creating them outright somehow.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Speaking of raiding. New setup: bring an Umbreon, screech + helping hands any iron hands/azumarill in your team. You, too, can play a support role in your pokemon game!

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

They're definitely buggy, or laggy, or whatever. I was duoing my 6* corviknight raid and it just froze me in the cheer menu in the first turn for legitimately like 30 seconds before it let me do anything, by which time my friend had done like 3 turns already.

Matching online almost always means waiting like 40 seconds to be told I can't join, even though on very rare occasions it has put me in almost instantly. Which is dumb because doing a random online raid is indeed an insta-queue.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Your Bisharp doesn't need the crest, just to kill 3 other bisharps that have one (and those are the ones surrounded by pawniards). source: me, having never put a crest on my bisharp and evolving it anyway

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

There's a slightly updated version of duping where you only have to dupe your legendary once and then you can do some menu stuff after that.

https://youtu.be/staa9Fv0Rwo

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Step 9 you can just mount your legendary, then press A while mousing over it in mount form and that should get rid of the duped one. No need to catch anything.

Anyway, I've had some unsuccessful sandwich-outbreak hunts (where after KOing 60 of the outbreak pokemon and a full 30 minute shiny sandwich I didn't see a single shiny), however I did do one for flittles earlier where I got three in the last five minutes:

Hopefully they add some kind of audio/visual cue at some point though. I tried doing tadbulbs earlier and their only difference is reddish tips rather than orange, so I had to basically zoom into each one to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Flopsy posted:

Maybe it's just me but more than half the cast seems to be queer coded including your starters. I mean you got butch women, fem dudes and everything in between.

hattel and brassie are gay for sure i don't make the rules sorry

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I've been wonder trading today and finally there's almost no lechonks, and a TON of starters. That said, in terms of amounts, there are a lot of sprigatitos, a decent amount of fuecocos but almost no quaxlys. I might breed some ducks just to put some more in circulation.

I keep passing all the starters onwards since I figure everyone who doesn't already have one needs at least two.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

PokeBall chat: I've been breeding a bunch of hatennas in dream balls. I get that must not be a very unique combo but I like it!

While wondertrading I've also gotten two apricorn balls so far. A moon ball rockruff and a beast ball rockruff. I guess people really like their rockruffs??

Speaking of wondertrading, sprigatito are not only common but I've straight up gotten one floragato and two meowscarada on top of that lol.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

Is there anything the master ball is actually needed for? Because the drat Miraidon is bucking out of luxury and dusk balls while in red health and asleep without it even giving me one roll and I'm about over it lol.

Not really, no. For instance since you see all shinies on the overworld you can save beforehand or just catch them in quickballs or regular balls. Plus Miraidon looks pretty good in a purple ball.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Cattail Prophet posted:

So uh, it looks like the update might have respawned all of the roaming gimmighouls you've already found.

The gimmighouls respawn regardless. Something like a 10% or 50% or something chance daily for the chests to respawn.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I want to say yes because I've definitely been back to pokecenters, bridges etc where I'd picked them up already and they were there again. Just most people care about the chests since they're a faster way to get the coins.

For what it's worth, when I was getting into the home stretch of completing the dex I had something like 850 coins from the rest of the game so I didn't even need to grind gimmighouls out specifically anyways.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I'll be honest, I don't think it's the charizard specifically "cheating" or something, it's just whatever standard bad netcode fuckery is going on with raids. I took this video right before I went to do a charizard raid:

https://i.imgur.com/HWkGaYd.mp4

That said, I've beaten the charizard twice already with 3x azumarill + a support each time. (And yes its health bar, uh, desynced, both times.) Might take a bit due to move RNG but should be doable. In fact people have beaten it solo with an azumarill.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I just woke my Switch from sleep and my game started running like poo poo again, so I will rescind this post. You still need to close the game once in a while (but it runs really well right after you boot it)

I went to the flowery area near the fairy base where my game always chugs and it was still chugging. Maybe it runs better in some scenarios but it's definitely struggling in others. I don't know how much of it is just wishful thinking or because people closed the game and that maybe helps with memory leak stuff.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

actually today in azumarill adventures: going into a florges raid with two azumarill who got bodied immediately and failed the raid.

going into the next florges raid with two more azumarill who readied up. canceled out, that was enough raids with randoms for the day.

it's a fairy type that knows a grass move!! it's a freakin flower!!! do not bring your water rat!

Clocks fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 2, 2022

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Mega64 posted:

If your thick as fukk Azumarill can't fukk poo poo up then you're a bad trainer.

I'm sorry but as a mod I have to tell the truth.

e: I'm not even bullshitting here, Azumarill was legit one of my main Pokemon from the beginning (my #2 after my flamboyant weed cat) and it carried me through the entire story. I will not abide poo poo-talking the Pikablu evo.

e2: Not that serious though, I'm not gonna comedy 6er anyone if you talk poo poo or whatever.

i have a trained up shiny azumarill. whatever the trainers did in that florges raid was NOT it. honestly as strong as it is there are some raids I would not recommend bringing it to. if you die in one hit after belly drumming because it did a grass-type move then you are just destroying the timer for no benefit to anyone.

(I've also seen people bring azumarills that don't have belly drum and just aqua tail or something, so I suspect people see "hey other people are using azumarills, I'm gonna bring mine!" but then they don't really put more thought into it than that.)

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

putting fancy mons in fancy balls is the right way to do it. especially since tera raids are 100% capture rate so you can easily get some pokemon in specific balls if you want.

Most of the wonder trade charmanders I've seen were luxury balls, but at least one was in a dream ball. I caught my own charizard in a beast ball because why not.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Does Qwilfish evolve in this game? I've seen conflicting information.

it does not!

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Raiding is also good for money but depending on what you're doing it might honestly be better time-wise to buy a bunch of power bands or whatever and just manually EV train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Can't comment about egg moves but they can absolutely remember TM moves that they learned before.