Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I really hope they patch the poo poo out of the game to fix the performance issues a bit, because for a lot of people it seems to be overshadowing a really fuckin' great game. I myself don't really mind because I haven't set high standards for video games for myself; all I play is Pokemon and like Super Mario 64.
Last night I went to grab an item off the ground and as soon as I touched it a Spidops jumped out from behind a rock and attacked me. Coincidence? Or did the Pokemon set a trap? Really hoping it's the latter, that's such fun flavor to add.
Also since someone mentioned it I'm just saving and restarting every time I see one of those "should be an invisible object" Pokeballs on the ground, and I haven't run into any issues since.
One bug I did have (and I'm positive it was a bug and not me being really unobservant), is I got all of the purple-glowing "ominous black stakes" and it didn't open the purple vault. I know I got all of them. I looked at 3 different guides, one of which was a video, and stood exactly where they stood and matched up the scenery. Then last night I thought I'd have another go at checking, and the very first one on the hill right above the vault was back. I pulled it, and it opened the vault. Also I know the first time I pulled that one was fairly early in the game, it was one of the first ones I noticed, so my suggestion would be for people to just not touch the stakes until they're high enough leveled that they're ready to grab them all at once and tackle the legendary. Makes it easier to remember which ones you have and haven't grabbed, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is very much a me/minor nitpick, but just coming off travel in past Pokemon games I'm... not really a fan of the presence of the Legendaries from the get-go as travel companions. It's interesting having just A dedicated travel pokemon, but the core of the games has always been your own party and partner choices, and Miraidon/Koraidon just feel a little too overly-present/reductive for me if that makes sense? I totally get why it's the case, but I feel something more interesting could've been done folding past travel pokemon concepts into an open-world game. Put the all-in-one Legendary mid/late game for consolidation as the cool thing to get, but add some other travel pokemon too like Gogoat or the Cyclizars. Maybe some are faster, or better jumpers, so if you want to go out on the water you're looking along the shoreline for something to ride on, or something to jump up a cliff face, that sort of thing.

To be clear I'm totally fine with it as-is and thoroughly enjoying it, just idle thoughts that something better could've been done with what's available.

I disagree; I really don't like how SuMo implemented it: "oh just call up this pokemon that's not yours and it appears instantly to help you for 5 seconds and leaves again". I really liked that in SV it was one pokemon, who you were travelling around with, that helped you out. The only good alternative I can think of is if the 3 starters all did this, but then all 3 would have to be motorcycles of some variety, which would have maybe made them too samey? Or maybe not, maybe that could have been a neat gimmick for this generation, but then you'd have to evolve them to stage 3 before the gimmick became usable (also not a huge dealbreaker except for people who don't want to use their starter pokemon I guess).
I don't know, in the end I think SV's solution was better. A story reason why you've got this guy sort of on your team but he doesn't battle. I never even considered him the "legendary" of the game, just a pal.
Still silly that you can't ride a regular Cyclizar at any point in the game.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I was going to wait til after the Charizard raid but gently caress it, I'm impatient, I want to play through the game again with an entirely different team and at a more leisurely pace. And we don't have access to Home yet, correct? Can anybody hang onto my legendaries and starter and one or two other guys, and then trade them back to me a couple hours later when I've unlocked trading?
In return, if you're a scarlet player, I can send you over some of the version exclusive/ paradox mons. Keep in mind that they're rare and I haven't even seen half of them spawn, but I can make an effort. PM if interested.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Unless you really need online access while you play through this second run, it'd be much easier to just make a second user on the Switch for a second save file - you don't need to link it to a Nintendo account, and HOME can see other users' saves while logged in on your main one.

Oh so even if Profile 2 doesn't have online access, I should be able to pull Pokemon off it and into Home when that comes out in the spring, using Profile 1's online access? Neat, I didn't think that was possible.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Larryb posted:

Is there a Move Tutor in this game? I notice sometimes when leveling up using the Let’s Go mechanic the icon indicating a Pokémon wants to learn a new move pops up but the prompt itself gets skipped

Go into that Pokemon's details, go to its moves (I think you gotta tab over one) and hit A; it gives you the option to change its moves at any point outside battle. They've done away with a lot of NPCs in favor of just letting you change poo poo whenever.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Charizard IS a cheating bitch!

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Charizard crashed once, lagged me into infinity where I couldn't move while my teammates did a couple times, and yeah, the health bar is a lie. Key to beating him is to have nobody die which takes big chunks out of the timer bar. Ended up catching one but it was about an hour and a half of waiting for three partners that knew what they were doing. If you were doing it live with friends (again, who knew what they were doing and you could talk to each other), it'd probably be easy.
Using Rain Dance as a strategy to nullify his Sunny Day fails spectacularly unless it forgets that it knows Hurricane.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Carlosologist posted:

I think what the open-world is missing is more little towns along the way to the main objectives. Maybe a side quest or two in those small towns to fill in the world and such. Haven't really seen those kinds of areas since... Unova? Kalos?

Absolutely. I coulda just used, like, one little side-quest per area. Just rip off the PLA ones. I liked having to go find that girl who was constantly getting lost. That would push the player into the more obscure corners of the world. My biggest beefs with this game were that it didn't force me to go places and both times I played I felt like I missed out on areas/content that isn't as fun when you're already done the game and have a strong team, and that there's not near enough NPCs in the game that actually do anything. The human population of Paldea should have been doubled.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

precision posted:

They debuted in ruby/ sapphire right? I know I was unspoiled on the new mons because it was before spoilers were super easy to find, and I thought the whole line was great. Ralts is adorable :3:

Yeah they're a rare encounter very early on in R/S. Your stupid rival catches one immediately, and every time I played Emerald I'd run around in that patch of grass for like half an hour til I caught one.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Obviously the speed at which you progress through school correlates inversely with how much time you spend loving off and doing battles. Nemona will be in high school til she's 40.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Caught a shiny Iron Bundle, he's all-chrome like the T-1000. I guess I probly gotta train him up on principle.

Also I started this post to ask how the hell you guys are doing raids alone, obviously you just have to go into online mode and trigger the raid before any other people join in (duh) (right?)

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Can you not see the "challenge alone" option or is this a bit I'm not getting?

Uh, yeah, when I hit "challenge alone" it says "good news some AI dinks are here to help you" immediately. But I've probably never selected that option while online. I dunno, I don't have my Switch in front of me, I can't remember if the menu is the same or not.
If you're in Online Mode and hit Challenge Alone does that not happen then? I haven't tried that yet because I only ever turn online mode on when I'm actually trying to join a raid with other people.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

PittTheElder posted:

Oh no, the AI players always come. But in a 5 or 6 star raid they tend to accomplish so little that it doesn't matter.

Uh, understood, thanks. The way people were phrasing it I assumed that meant you could get into a one-on-one raid and not have to worry about babysitting random AI trash.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Does Palafin ever appear in raids? That's how I got all my other annoying-to-evolve mons like Armarouge (I'm playing Violet) and Kingambit and Big Tumbleweed.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I don't even know what the gently caress a critical capture is.
I have a very deep-rooted muscle-memory-affected superstition to not look at the screen after I throw a ball, as though the catch will succeed if I pretend I don't really care about it. Same poo poo with holding up-B. Some poo poo you just keep doing because you've been doing it for over 20 god drat years.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Anyone got any plans for how to deal with the upcoming Cinderace raid? It seems to me like once again Azumarill is ideal, but I see lots of whining about "ugh people bringing in fuckin Azumarill" and also once the raid Pokemon turns off your ability, as they always do at some point, Huge Power shuts off and Azu sucks until you die and come back, which isn't a great strategy when it hacks a big chunk off the time bar. I was thinking maybe Ceruledge for immunity to the high power fire and fighting attacks Cinderace'll be packing, and Clear Smog will gently caress with any stat-ups it uses... but Ceruledge doesn't exactly have much of an HP stat or physical defense. I'm also expecting Cinderace to be packing Sucker Punch.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Armitage posted:

Is Ting-Lu master ball only? It won't go in any other Pokeballs.

gently caress it, several hundred pokeballs later, I used the master ball.

Dusk ball at night time? None of my 4 legendaries took more than 3 balls, and I've played through the game twice.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I'm only using the rare balls on raids. Bless GF for actually making a good decision for once and making it impossible to not catch a raid mon if you get to the point where you can throw a ball.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Is Hotbanana a meme or something? I usually go with Bananasaurus.

Also Haschel, tell me you have a whole team named Ray, Jay, RJ, RJJ, etc.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Flopsy posted:

Also herb hunting has been going better once you know what to look for

Are you referring to herba mystica and if so is there a fuckin trick to it? I have like six of everything except Sweet, of which I still have god drat zero and I just want to make the cool home ec teacher like me for gently caress sakes.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Oowee, gettin completely fuckin' annililated by seven star hi jump kicks that never miss. I also spent ages putting together a Pixillate Sylveon that can't survive long enough to use Hyper Beam a second time. I did see someone using Opportunist Espathra with Lumina Crash, wondering if there's something to that. I also wasn't the only one who thought Ceruledge would be a good idea for those double immunities but like I expected it doesn't seem to be near beefy enough to survive a couple Acrobatics.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Flopsy posted:

Has the rabbit been unleashed already?

Yup! Lmao I meant to enter a raid with Azumarill (thought I'd try going defensive and use Charm til I can't and then Chilling Water) and it was 3 other Azus so I hit okay immediately... And my entry was the fuckin Kilowattrel in my first slot. We very nearly won, unlike any other time I've tried, so I think Azu is still the way to go.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I just soloed it with Slowbro so I didn't have to worry about whether randos were going to actively sabotage the raid. 3ID/3NP/Cheer/Stored Power didn't manage to one-shot him because he got his fuckin' shield up a second before I was able to attack but instead of resetting I just rolled with it. Died once after he took away my Iron Defense buffs and still had time to come back, set up partway again, then kill him.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Hahahahaha the amount of loving effort I had to put into getting the Sweet HM was by far the most I had to in terms of the "make the teacher like you" sidequests (look if you didn't use a guide for the evil black stakes that's on you, okay? I can't think of anything less fun) and the reward is... a cup? Does this even do anything? Lmao I can't even be mad, that's a tremendous "lol gently caress you" from GF.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Kassad posted:

Have you considered that friendship is the real treasure

I would do anything Saguaro or any of the teachers asked of me. They are all my best pals. Even Raifort. Maybe especially Raifort.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I don't mind it for clothes but the sandwich ingredients and accoutrements (where the gently caress are the picks, again? And not being able to make a sandwich without a pick is infuriating) and battle items being spread around multiple shops that don't have the exact same inventory from place to place is god drat asinine. There's a couple "loving WHY?" things like that in the game that I wish they spent more than 5 minutes thinking about. Not being able to picnic in Area Zero? Why? Weird game limitation or some dumb thematic idea that they didn't care would be annoyingly inconvenient?

poo poo like "you can't picnic while riding Miraidon" instead of it just automatically dismounting you... I don't know if that was an idiotic decision or just a clumsy way of getting around something that kept causing errors.

In the end I'm realizing I kinda hate the sandwich game too, not so much doing the game itself as always having to track down different ingredients, and just wish there was a restaurant at an endgame location that served a menu that contained basically every power across it. Fine, don't include the shiny ones for "specialness" reasons, I kinda stopped giving a poo poo about shiny pokemon last gen anyway.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Not being able to re-nickname a traded Pokemon is another one of those completely mingbogglingly stupid decisions that would take no effort to just not do, and yet here we are. If you pick up a dog at the drat animal shelter they don't say "welp his original owner named him Hitler so I guess you're stuck with that, sorry". If I get a Dugtrio named "3 Sausages" I'm gonna cherish it. If I get a Charmander named "Hitler 420" it would be nice if I could just rename him instead of having to throw him away so I don't accidentally pass it forward to a 10 year old who doesn't know any better.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Calico Heart posted:

The Meeces the Maushold

Haha, my first Maushold is called The Mousons.
Then I caught a 3-mouse HA one in a raid I named Vermiiin!. With the exclamation mark.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I been trying to find a raid Tyranitar forever, and when I finally found one (sidebar: gently caress these stupid non-special "special" events or whatever you wanna call 'em, 50% of the available raids are now Gengar like anyone gives a poo poo) it was a 6-star, don't remember the type but decidedly not weak to fighting, and some dingus brings in Belly Drum Iron Hands who basically gets one-shot three or four times in a row costing us the raid in record time. Buddy you better have actually been a child.
My fault, really, for not being smart enough to notice and leave the raid before it started.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
e: nevermind.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 15, 2023

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Egg hatching fuckin sucks now. Fortunately the only time I ever needed to do it was to fill out the pokedex for the ones where i only had the fully evolved mons and needed the unevolved versions. Breeding is totally unnecessary now and I am 100% happy with that and very much hope they never go back on easily obtainable mints and hyper training and move transfering and ability changing.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Flopsy posted:

You use an egg sandwich for it or no?

Oh aye. Well, no, last five or so I ran out of picks, couldn't remember where they're sold, so I'd find a random restaurant and I think all of them have something with egg power. But based on early attempts I'm not convinced an egg will ever appear without egg power on. It's still poo poo compared to the daycare, but now that my dex is full I can't see myself doing any more breeding til an expansion comes out anyway so whatever.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Next 7* raid really should be something that destroys Slowbro. Not that I'm complaining; it was nice to not have to put any prep into fighting something I definitely do not plan on ever using. But, yeah: soloed Greninja second try. Never even missed a move due to Double Team.
I actually ran during my first try after he reset my stats when I was something like 5 stat-ups in. So my second try, my strat was to just use 3 weak-rear end Stored Powers immediately so I could Terastalize. Then after the stat wipe, I pumped up and punched through his shield in 2 shots.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

One of the antagonists in Pokemon GoldJerry. Along with Sue Ellen, the heiress to the RageCandyBar fortune.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Yeah I was glad to hear that Clodsire was a good option because I'd been meaning to actually make a good one after using one for much of my first playthrough. Soloed it first try. Wasn't even going to do this raid because, well, it's loving PIKACHU, who gives even the smallest of shits? But it was an excuse to take an hour and build a raid-ready Clodsire!

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Soloed Walking Wake handily with Iron Hands (didn't even think about using the Clodsire I just made, seriously, gently caress) and then I tried to do Iron Leaves with others using Gholdengo and got wrecked each time. Ended up going back to the solo route, this time using Ceruledge so I could Clear Smog every time it tried Swords Dance, and beat it on the first attempt.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Misdreavus just cackling its rear end off that it gets to be on every single one of these charts by virtue of being literally the only new ghost introduced in gen 2.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I er uh, would also like a gang tag.

Also I am breeding guys because I can't win at Battle Subway in Black2 and oh my poo poo breeding sucks in the old games compared to what we have now. Like multiple sittings spread out over multiple days just to get a 3x31 mon with the right nature lovely.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I've got it, Jerry! Pikachu, Nuzzle, Nasty Plot, Light Ball Terastallized Thunder.
/Gets one-shot by Decidueye because Pikachu still, after all, has Pikachu's defenses
Oh, well, nevertheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Well I beat the owl. I only ever try these solo now because Gamefreak is just so fuckin' bad at online, and I got super lucky by getting both Tauros and Staraptor as partners at the same time.