Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Flopsy posted:

LMAO oh sweet Jesus this Gen's gonna rule.

if you reverse the gif it's kinda like she's throwing up a jpg of a sandwich. just something to think about, about pokemon

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Aristide posted:

One day I'll update the actual trading thread (Or make a new one) but until then, babes, new version of my legacy transfer chart is up:

Pokemon Trade Thread: All Dogs go to Home.

Not sure if this counts, but it's actually really easy to use pokemon save editing to rescue pokes from Gen 1 and 2 and toss them on a Bank-compatible game to get them into Home. PKHeX is remarkably robust and even tests it for legality in case you're nervous about getting banned

It's absolutely a brain worms thing, but I felt genuine joy being able to get my pals from my 2005 Pokemon Blue and Silver run into Home.

Obviously the caveat is that you need access to the save files, eg. from emulators or homebrew, but I imagine that's most people these days

e: wait, I'm wrong, I'm thinking of the remake versions of Gen 1/2. Sorry!

WarpDogs fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 18, 2022

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I saw a clip of the map just not loading and popping in and out during attacks and someone going 'the game is like this all the time'

Is it really a unplayable nightmare or did one person run into a bug and blow it out of the water. First pokemon game I've been interested in awhile and making me nervous

reminds me of a game with euro jank in which it's definitely like this all the time and the question will be whether you notice or care or get used to it

but every single review talks about it, so, safe to say it's not a "one person ran into a bug" thig

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Scholtz posted:

The clip function only caught the last frame of this so I had to up the brightness but lmaooo

this is actually a traditional Spanish salute, the Pose de Christo

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

god yes

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

im noticing that, unlike PLA, pokemon spawning is kind of weird? Like in that game, if something appeared on the map, you could basically walk a mile away and when you came back it would still be there.

I saw a mankey 5 feet away from me on top of a small incline. I couldn't get up the incline from that position, so I walked about 10 meters to the left. When I turned the camera back around, the mankey was replaced by a skiddo and a lechonk.

yeah it has extremely aggressive culling. Reminds me of the old 3D GTA games where if you saw a car you wanted you had to stay real close and keep it within camera range, else it'd disappear

honestly a lot of the bugs, like NPCs having low frame rates, disappearing objects, all the weird camera stuff, feels like their optimization algorithms are tuned way too high. of course the game also runs real bad as is, so maybe it's necessary

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Procrastine posted:

Sword and Shield were released November 15 and had their first patch January 9. Legends was released January 28 and had its first patch February 9.

neither one was nearly as broken, or as publicly "embarrassing", so who knows how they'll handle it this time

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

This is canonically how they become Gyarados.

lmfao, it literally is

the real legend of the koi turning into a dragon involves a school of koi attempting to climb a high waterfall. all of them give up save for one, who continues to attempt the climb even after demons make the waterfall even taller out of spite

Pokemon suggests an alternate legend in which the koi calmly leaves the river, crosses a bridge, and makes his way up by foot

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Framboise posted:

I know. It just feels like a lot of unused potential.

It's a tricky design challenge. For nearly all pokemon, 'training' involves levels 1-70. By then you have all your moves, your final evolution, your EVs are maxed out, etc. There's nothing more to do beyond getting more stats

They could have it so that new stuff continues through level 100, but that'd mean extending the length of the game (exponentially) to accommodate

the simpler answer is that they always want people to be able to over-level their way past any challenge, and they also want to reward people who reach max level by letting them steamroll any content with any pokemon and any strategy

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Bismack Billabongo posted:

It’s suicune. After finishing the radio tower the director guy told me that something was happening at the Tim Tower. Im assuming it’s suicune related. Normally I would scoff at using a legendary Pokémon not named Nebby but given what happened against the Rocket Executive at the end of the Tower, im tempted.

Quagsire bought the farm against a Houndoom. I have a Psyduck, Gyarados and Tentacool that are all eligible in storage as well that I could replace it with

god-given legendary. it counts. use the dog.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

You know for what is supposedly a children's game there is a lot of complicated nonsense attached. I still don't really know what an IV or and EV is.

A lot of the more complicated aspects began as behind-the-scenes things that were surfaced by testing or data mining. It's a cycle of devs putting in features to make each pokemon unique in small ways -> power gamers zeroing in on the best and most optimized combinations and driving themselves crazy to acquire them -> devs eventually making it somewhat easier to view, manipulate or bypass said feature

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

My kid's birthday is coming up soon so I bought him the latest edition of the Pokemon handbook Scholastic makes. When I was a kid I'd make a beeline for those things whenever the book fair came to my school, I loved them so much

but for some incomprehensible reason they listed the pokemon alphabetically. I'd never before considered just how bad a choice that'd be until seeing it in person, and wow, it sucks. You have evolution lines listed in random order and often separated by hundreds of pages, legendaries and mystics are right next to the middle evolutions of early route birds and bugs, the second-to-last page is Zubat. Pure madness!

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

wizard2 posted:

Today, they would equate to a bigtime paid 2.0 patch. A good example of that would be the Happy Home update Animal Crossing New Horizons got.

It is, but more like a 2.0 patch to an MMO where they went and changed the main quest a bunch and there's a real mixed reaction to the now modified story

It's certainly brisker but overall I found it pretty disjointed

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

On the off chance this'll be useful to someone: if you're looking to introduce a young kid to pokemon, Let's Go Eevee / Pikachu is a wonderful choice. I always knew it was intended for a more casual audience, but I really underestimated how much that'd make a difference. Even small QoL things, like being able to sort box pokemon by level, were enormously beneficial. The one feature it oddly lacked was automatically marking the effectiveness of moves for known pokemon

It also has a smaller roster of largely recognizable pokes to a 4yo who had never played the games or watched the show prior to this

Now we're onto Sword because I promised him he could pick any future game he wanted if he could beat the Elite 4 in Let's Go.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Nessa posted:

I showed my 2 year old some of a Let’s Go Pikachu walk through because she’s obsessed with watching “pikachu video” now. She got terribly upset when the pokeball with Pikachu in it rolled off the screen. When she’s older I’ll buy it and play it with her.

She already knows a bunch of Pokémon names. Pikachu, Eevee, Charmander, Meowth, Lapras, Jigglypuff, and Sobble. She’s been enjoying some Pokémon nursery rhyme videos I’ve been showing her too.

That's awesome. This is going to sound immensely corny, but I had forgotten how much fun pokemon can be now that I'm seeing it through a child's eyes. Every night before bed I read him like 20 or 30 pokedex entries from his book, and he's utterly enthralled. For pretend games he likes to be Meowth (of Team Rocket fame, ofc) and "steal" pokemon, which in this case are his baby brother's toys.

I got him into games and books early on as those are my interests. He's played and completed a few Kirby and Mario games, and he enjoys a few specific chapter book series. But I think pokemon is going to be the thing he most remembers fondly from his childhood when he's grown up

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm sure most people know this by now, but 3DS homebrew is very easy and risk free. You can easily dump your save files and then use PKHEX to drag-and-drop pokemons between them. you don't need to do anything illegitimate and PKHEX handles legality checks as a failsafe

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

lol Rick has a legit origin story now

I love Nuzlockes

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I just taught my kid how to use surprise trade a couple days ago in Sword and he's done it over 100 times at this point

the hacked shinies suck but they make him so happy, so who's to say if they're bad

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

After I finish a game I send my favorites to Home and then surprise trade the rest. I just wish there was a way to do this so I didn't get back chuff in return

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Chinook posted:

Regarding hacked Pokémon received in trades- how can you be certain they are hacked?

What are the potential issues if you used them?

Aren’t “illegal” Pokémon somehow weeded out of trades?

well the first clue is that the pokemon are often named after a website that advertises hacked pokemon services

beyond that, you can almost always assume that shinies, legendaries and mythics, level 100s with perfect IQs and EQs, etc. are hacked. But hacked doesn't mean illegal, just artificially created

there are lots of small illegalities that apparently GF doesn't care about, or that they'll check one thing but not another. as an example, in general you can't have a non-event pokemon in a cherish ball, but in truth GF only looks at the event ribbon and not the ball data, so you can use pkhex to generate an event pokemon, remove the ribbon, and it won't filter it

there's zero issues using pokes you get from trading because any illegal stuff GF cares about has been filtered already. but each game has a slightly different filter, as does Home, so there's no guarantee a hacked pokemon will stay usable forever

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Shiroc posted:

I have this Quagsire and they are absolutely in that category.
https://www.pokemoncenter.com/product/701-08402/quagsire-comfy-friends-plush-14-in

lmao

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

My kid has defeated both Let's Go Eevee and Sword, and I thought PLA would be a good 3rd game because his literal favorite thing is the actual catching of pokes

but I never knew how wordy that game was until I was forced in the position of reading all the dialogue and menus for a preschooler. We played for an hour and still hadn't finished the tutorial section. thankfully I had bought Brilliant Diamond off of a gamefly sale awhile back and he's loving that way more

for whatever it's worth I really loved PLA and its checklist-based open play, but I'm glad not every pokemon is like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Grundulum posted:

I recognize that this may not be the best thread for unbiased opinions, but anyway. When Scarlet/Violet came out, they were lambasted for being riddled with bugs and suffering from performance issues on the Switch. I can see that there have been three updates since last November. Does version 1.3 make the games more playable than they were at launch, or do the original issues still persist?

the vast majority of problems weren't fixed or even improved on lol, but it's also something you get used to and a lot of the jank is either harmless or actually pretty funny. the game rules and none of the problems detract from the fun times you'll have with your poke pals