Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hey thread, I haven't even looked into those new Pokemon games. I played some BDSP when it came out and basically lost interest just as the credits rolled. Doing Pokemon Home achievement filling got me back into doing the post game stuff in BDSP and -- am I reading this right? -- I got completely screwed on getting Darkrai because it was a mystery gift exclusive that lasted for slightly less than one month, earlier in the year and "oops, better luck next life"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I proded on the Discord, but seems like no one there's interested in booting up BDSP these days, so let's give here a try: I would like to trade evolve the four Kanto mons (Gengar, Zam, Champ, Golem). PM me if you can help, please?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Pokemon Colosseum just turned 20 years old.

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8D0KWsSh7Y

Composer Tsukasa Tawada just released this video of him playing one of the game's songs as a celebration.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Unless you're in the UK, for which you start this friday!

Are they having different voice actors between UK and US?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Oh, I like this one a lot.

By Kiana Mosser

And also this one:

https://twitter.com/saihate_D3/status/1730541166435979341

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

This outbreak is the second time I have found a shiny in SV and I really dislike how there's absolutely no effect, visual or audio, indicating a spark before a battle starts, so you must know it's there or otherwise you miss it. Looking for Litwicks with slightly different colored flame wasn't fun at all, but at least I snagged one.

There's a shitton of shinies that you can barely tell are different from their base form, so the chances the player misses them are huge. How could they get it so right in Arceus and then step all the way back in the next game... oh right, :gamefreak:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Hammerite posted:

Letting your pokemon do it rather than trying to look and see if they are shiny or not is definitely the way to do it.

What does this mean? How does it work?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Use RB to send your lead pokemon out to kill the pokemon in the outbreak. They'll refuse to take out a shiny and give you a little visual clue, shake their head or whatever.

Oh, nice, I didn't know there was a limit and they would be careful not to KO whatever they were targeting.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Desperate Character posted:

Does anyone know the exact time the DLC is releasing on the east coast tonight? I still have a bunch of shinies I’d like to give away before it comes out.

You can give them to me before the DLC comes out. Nothing's stopping you.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

So is there a battle tower

lol

...wait, am I laughing not to cry?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I'm not accepting an Applin from bloody Kieran. I know what it means.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Zuzie posted:

My guess is that they didn't include one because Sword and Shield has a battle tower and they want to keep that game relevant.

That's like saying BDSP has a battle tower and they want to keep that game relevant, too. And all the others before them, because why not.

I don't think you understand that new mechanics and mons change how the battle tower experience plays. Its omission is just a weird oddity with no explanation other than cutting down on usual features to focus development time elsewhere.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Nearly every night I go to bed and pray: please, PLEASE, do not remake the gen 5 games. They are some of my favorites and I just know they will gently caress it up so badly.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

LionArcher posted:

One of my favorite co workers has Scarlett and wants me to get Violet so we can trade. I'm down.

Yeah, don't pick your version based on that. Look at the cover legendary for each game and see which one you like more because you'll spend your whole time playing that version with it hanging around. It goes even a bit further than that: which one would you prefer to see more of: ancient animals (Scarlet) or futuristic robots (Violet)?

I do like how both versions are pretty different this time around. Can't remember a time other than Ruby/Sapphire where they went this far.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

ilca made the best idolmaster game in like two generations

I'll take your word for it.

Don't have a horse in the race to bet if ILCA was the cause of BDSP being a mess of bugs and in general a rather wasted opportunity for what a remake could be. But I don't think anyone would deny that the decisions on what time was allocated for the project (little), or that they would have to reimplement a whole Pokemon engine from scratch instead of using one of the existing ones from GameFreak (the Let's Go one would have been a good fit) came from the very top.

And TPC would similarly be in charge on what direction to take a BW remake. No good.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

It was a hypothetical about how GF could introduce battle facilities again without the problems those elements have traditionally had.

What are those existing traditional problems specifically?

The Blueberry Academy is the perfect set piece for a battle facility since the place seems entirely focused on battling and little else with a million students everywhere, double battles are introduced to new players here, and the player's only meant to be exploring the DLC at the end of the other main stories anyway.

There, simple.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

galagazombie posted:

To get perfect EVs in the old days you would have had to
1: Be told by someone else that they even exist for you to look for information on them.
2: Go and look up what the hell an “Effort Value” is on the internet.
3: Have a Pokémon that has fought zero battles (So much for using your own in game team)
4: Know exactly which species give which EVs, knowledge only discovered by hacking or data mining or by getting it from the internet by someone who has.
5: Waste several hours of your life fighting the correct species on the same patch of grass over and over and over to max out the correct stats instead of actually playing the game.

In no way is that something “people could have reasonably done”

Like, is any of this even debatable? The point of not even being able to use your own in-game team has always been a blight for me until recent generations made it easier to "fix" them.

And even in the modern era, I still have to hit Bulbapedia or an EV training guide to make sure I'm murdering the right mons for the stat I want to train on.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I haven't done any of the coach stuff yet, but I have just beat the main story of the Indigo Disk. I gave it a quick look at Youtube but it doesn't seem there's any new scene that explains the heck was Geeta's deal and her attachment to Glimora. Spoil it for me, is there a scene somewhere and I just haven't hit it yet?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Would be cool if Ice had any resistances whatsoever.

Would be cool if Poison was SE vs Water.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

If they don't respect you, you don't have to respect them either.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njA84xxxe8o

New video about Pecharunt’s backstory

The last thing you see before you hit the YOU DIED screen

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 15, 2024

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ah, this one's good fun, love it. Go, Team Bidoof!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

What are some good strats for it?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

TheMightyBoops posted:

Speaking of Leafeon I was playing Brilliant Diamond and my Eevee I exported from Shield evolved into a Leafeon. Why? I didn’t give it a stone or anything.

That game has a ton of weird bugs due to the engine invented from scratch and how rushed out the whole thing was. Arceus knows which bizarre one you managed to hit.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Also, Mareanie is the best and cutest pokemon and I really dislike her evolution.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

TheMightyBoops posted:

if Eevee levels near a certain part of the Eterna forest it evolves.

That's how it works in the original, and similarly in this remake. I didn't even think of that because you just said you had just transferred it, not leveled it up.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Zuzie posted:

That being said, Bank was never the most stable thing in my experience. Each time I logged on I had to pray that it didn't crash in the middle of what I wanted to do on there, or have to log out and save each time I did a certain number of actions.

Have you been using Home much? Because what you described has kind of been my experience with it over the last two years, and every time I keep asking myself why I'm paying this much for this poo poo service.

On the Switch, I can't move too many Pokemon at once because the chance it loses a connection packet somewhere during the process and resets the whole thing is huge. On smartphone, the login frequently borks because the pokemon.com API is having issues/down, which coincidentally also affects PoGo and I should have changed the latter's login service for anything else that isn't pokemon.com ages ago and that's on me, but I can't do the same for the mobile Home app.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Hammerite posted:

what's the latest on when they are likely to turn off the servers and strand pokemon in gen 7?

No word yet, but don't wait around and just do whatever you need to do before it does happen. Me, I have medals left to earn from bringing mons from the Gen1/Gen2 era (through the 3DS VC), but haven't had the time to play those games yet.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

The funniest thing is I ended up with a Salamence with all Battle Tree ribbons since I used him for all modes.

I hope you gave him a cool name.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Muscle Tracer posted:

lol i had erased that stake poo poo from my memory. just awful.

Play Arceus and marvel at doing something like that but 108 times just to get the one mon.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Zuzie posted:

Alolan Diglett sidequest: 151 of the things in one large area. Pain in the rear end to see and you need to inspect the ground closely. Will need the upgraded bike to even access a lot of them.

Oh god, that's even worse than the 108 spirits in Arceus. I had completely obliterated that memory and I did this mess.

Do... do people find these sort of pixel-hunting quest fun? Is that why they keep bringing it back between games?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is the Alolan Diglett special at least?

No, it's just a Diglett variant in case you don't have the Alola games or don't play Pokemon Go. Same for all other rewards from that quest line. A cool thing to do just... not done in a non-frustrating way. Gamefreak.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The man called M posted:

Just curious, for everyone's first playthrough of Legends Arceus: Did you guys focus on catching everything before or after Catching Dialga and Palkia?

You are told to help with the pokedex in like the first hour of game play. What other way is there to play?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ah, hell yeah. It wasn't super amazing story-wise, but I really loved how adorable every mon made out of felt looked -- so fluffy. More, please.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Muscle Tracer posted:

Lol that you cannot trade Ogerpon or Terapagos to Kieran. Can't even try, can't even get a line of dialogue from him for trying. Lol.

Neither of those mons want to be with that loser Kieran. Respect their wishes.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Oh man... I know they weren't young, but it really sucks to hear this. My condolences, Doug Dinsdale.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Shneak posted:

Game Freak making Pokémon Z real when everybody was least expecting it is the funniest outcome.

MorningMoon posted:

very happy they didn't touch unova lol, i like those games too much to see what they'd do ther enow

:same:

Gonna imagine that if it's not Switch 2, then there will be an update to make it run better on that platform, because Gamefreak is gonna Gamefreak.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

"Did you know 13 years was a long time ago?" says company making an ad for a videogame system that is currently 7 years old.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

galagazombie posted:

Is there a reason I’ve caught 3 shinys since starting a new game (haven’t even reached the third badge) despite not eating any food, having the charm, encountering any outbreaks, or otherwise catching any Pokémon besides the aforementioned shinys? This is ridiculous!

Lottery ticket! Quick! Before it wears off!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The man called M posted:

Just curious, do most people still hate sword and shield? While Scarlet and Violet have their flaws, I don’t think I’ve seen anyone mentioning preferring Sword and Shield, even with the reasoning of, “at least they loving work”.

There's ought to be someone like that, but those games were so undercooked they feel like going from Kalos to Alola and then decide Kalos was better, ya know, their very first attempt at a 3D engine which came with tons of missed opportunities and cut content.

Not counting DLC for either, SwSh just has a lot less to do than SV in their base games, even if it turns out SwSh at least had a battle facility thingy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ha! April Fools!

They would never feature a 7 star raid dedicated to Meganium of all things.