Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Hey pokemon thread, been a while.

Getting back into things slowly after my two kids decided to binge on a pokemon coloring book recently and have decided they love pokemon again. Got Shield reloaded onto my switch and re-activated my Pokemon Home account (which I'm happy to see seems way more useful nowdays, also Holy poo poo I've got some pokes on here that I caught back in B/W). I'm trying to decide if I should just dive straight into S/V or if I should buy the SwSh DLC first?

I was really put-off when S/V came out by all the reviews about horrible performance, and wondering if that's been mitigated much? Also, my kids are gonna want me to hunt legendaries if possible so wondering if the SwSh DLC is better for that than S/V?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Thanks crew. I watched some vids on the QOL changes and to me they seem significant enough to deal with the jank. Nice to see some features from PLA get carried forward.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
It’s Scizor.

What was the question again?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Gonna be a crazy pokemon xmas here. Have scarlet under the tree and we decided my seven year old is ready for his first solo adventure so set him up with my old 3ds and Sun cart last night. (Mainly in an attempt to get him to stop constantly begging to take the controller during our legends arceus playtime over the last week)

He definitely went to bed last night, but Im not sure how early he woke up beyond knowing it was prior to 6:10 when he came barreling into my room to let me know he caught a slowbro.

Such a proud dad right now.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Started Scarlet today, pretty hard to un-learn the muscle memory from the last few weeks of binging Arceus. Glad pokemon are still in the overworld so it doesnt feel quite as abrupt.

Also lol only played for like 90 minutes and found a shiny hoppip and spider dude. Did they buff shiny rates or something?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
An archipelago of Torterra.
An eruption of Numel
A carton of Exeggecute
A seam of Carkol
A bed of Bublbasaur
A glacier of Avalugg
A cacophony of Loudred
A bin of Trubbish

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Do you need all the paradox mons to get the shiny charm??

Do you need the dlc dexes as well?

Im already approaching 200 caught simply by catching them in arceus which is hella faster.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Caught terapogos last night so my “binge to get to post-game” quest from xmas is now over.

I wasnt sure on Teras at first but now I love it. I must have a real broken brain because I’m already trying to convince myself that this time game freak will actually carry a power gimmick over to the next gen.

Stupid poo poo like “well them showing that you can tera in other regions by installing an artificial tera ballsack means game freak wants to keep teras around permanently.”

Why do i keep doing this to myself gen after gen 😞

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Speaking of online play, are the special tera raid battles for the two legenaries that expire today something you can find in single player or do you have to log in to poke portal to get to them?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
How can i easily solo walking wake but keep getting dunked on online with iron leaves holy poo poo.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I’ve already looked around, but does anyone know of a real paper book/pamphlet that breaks down battle mechanics for kids?

There are all sorts of guide books I’ve gotten my son for minecraft, but all I can find for pokemon is the pokedex style, which while somewhat useful for looking up enemy types doesn’t have jack or poo poo about actual game mechanics.

Kiddo is way to young for internet self-research, but would gobble up a book that goes over things like “what are PPs, what does burning an opponent due, how long does sleep last, what is a critical hit, what are physical and special attacks, etc, etc.

I’ve already printed out and laminated the type chart for him, but kinda shocked there isnt some sort of guidebook floating around.

Ahh the good old days of prima guides…

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Our four person BBQ group tonight cleared like 18,000 BP and 9 group quests in 2 hours. Goddamn.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I get the desire to be perfectly efficient in a playthrough, but with generally how easy it is to catch duplicates you really shouldn’t let lvl-10ing a specific dex entry get in the way of progressing the story.

It is so insanely faster to fill dex entries in the end-game once you have access to all the ride-mons, massive mass outbreaks, and a small fortune in the bank.

During your primary playthrough you should just work on clearing quests and catching whatever random mons you see as you go. Let them pile up in your boxes so when the time comes you don’t have to hunt them again which is generally the longest part of most dex fills.

The designers were pretty deft with the dex, so mons that are rare, or have special evolutions generally just need to do like 3 or 4 specific moves in either agile or strong style to max their entries.

Super common mons can instead generally be maxed with a combination of a few berrys fed, a knock out or two, and a couple catches, so again not more than a few minutes worth of time once you reach the post-game.

This is from personal experience just a few months back. I didn’t make it to the shiny charm because area zero released, but in my run-up to unlocking Arceus I was lvl10ing all the mons as I caught them and it didn’t feel like the extra effort really slowed me down. I think I went from 200ish mons caught and maybe 100 maxed entries to 400/300 in like 3 or 4 evenings.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Same, seeing them just spawn normally in scarlet after beating my head against the wisp quest was rather annoying.

I pulled pretty much every spacetime distortion locked mon in from home.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
So I’d like to file a formal complaint.

My 5 year old is very upset that his personal favorite pokemon “black sky” (which is a mega charizard X from some random youtube animated music video) isn’t able to fly around the terrarium in synchro mode.

Pleading efforts to convince him that a shiny normal charizard is basically the same thing were promptly rejected by him going to his room and returning with his mega-char plushie to help explain in excruciating detail how the wings, belly, and fire all very different.

I was never “happy” about the loss of megas, but now its simply unacceptable. Someone please inform the boss of pokemon that megas need to be added into scarlet by end-of-day tomorrow. TIA

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

As the dad of a five year old this is EXTREMELY in character.

:hfive:

I'm honestly reveling in it. Whole family has been on a pokemon binge since I got Scarlet for X-mas. Wife got the itch and reloaded her copy of X, my older son (7) was allowed to start his own game on one of my multiple Moon carts I had laying around, and the youngest just watches everyone play while reading through his pokedex books and informing everyone what types their opponent's mons are (mainly because the 7 year old is constantly asking "what is strong against X").

The youngest is probably gonna go pro if he keeps on his current trajectory. I'm prettysure he's already memorized the match-up chart better than I have.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

get him into VGC, a regional tournament only gets like nineteen trainers under 13 so you only need to win like three times and you top cut in the Juniors division

For reals, Ive already been rolling some singles battles via local wireless with my seven year old and he was interested enough to not get distracted watching all three bouts of the Charlotte Regionals championship match.

I see that juniors is anyone younger than 13 but surprised there isn’t a minimum age stated to get started. I could see my older one being ready within a year or so, but would worry bringing a 8/9 year old might raise eyebrows.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Just to confirm, there isn’t any way to have lvl50 doubles battles vs npcs in SV correct?

Son is even more on a kick after watching the juniors championship match from the last LAIC, and Id like to be able to let him start messing around with double battle mechanics without having to worry about pvp just yet. I decided to roll that shiny charizard I made for my younger son into a gimmick sun team with a tera grass, solar powered, solar beam to showcase how you can stack effects, but its hard to show it off vs the random trainers in the terrarium. I know I can rematch Kieran and carmine but would really rather have level control.

Considering how they are trying to lower the pvp barrier of entry with the pokemon training options and the story-mode double battles, them not having an option to practice basic setup stuff in a controlled environment seems like a huge miss.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Is there a way to get mystery gift event pokemon from old 3ds carts? Pretty much wrapped up my living dex last night but have these unsightly holes for diance, zeraora, and marshadow.

Zarude as well but I’m assuming anything switch related is locked down to well.

I do appreciate GF just randomly throwing meloetta into a field for indigo disk. Hopefully the trend continues.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I don't know how to get it setup, but if goons want to run the raid in groups I don't mind rolling it a bunch of times with a skill swap/acid spray/sunny day/ life dew support Mew to help out. Sure it might be more janky than solo, but it should be hella faster than trying to grind it out solo.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Picked up crown tundra now that ive substantially completed my current goals in scarlet and had never gotten it earlier.

I dont want to accidentally mess up so can someone confirm how claiming legendaries work in dynamax adventures?

If i choose to keep one I lose the shiny chance forever right?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Other SwSh DLC tip: play through again on a second Switch profile and you can get the other Regi, the other horse, and the other Urshifu form, then move them to your main via Home

Getting calyrex and a second urshifu is actually what convinced me to buy it since i got the horses and one kubfu already in indigo disk.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

So, I just wanna say, I made a file for my 7 year old nephew in Violet, and have, when the opportunity arises, let him play for a bit and have fun with it. He hasn't touched most of the story stuff, but he's taken on a gym, a Star Base, and a Titan. Otherwise he's mostly just been exploring and catching stuff, and he's been having a lot of fun with it.

Right now, the two strongest pokemon he's been keeping on his team are a Klawf and a Seviper - he's temporarily benched his Quaxwell to the box in favor of training a Paldean Wooper, since he wants to go after the Electric Gym. I'm not poking him about doing stuff in "the right order", I'm just warning him if he tries to go after stuff that's way above his current levels.

It's been a fun time. He particularly enjoys finding Pokemon from his favorite cards in the game. The most recent such acquisition was a Wattrel - which he leapt on once he realized it evolves into Kilowattrel, which is the card he was thinking of.

Rules. My 7 year old nephew was brought by my office on Friday, and found out he had been playing violet for a few weeks now(without my brother ever bothering to mention it). He had beaten 4 titans and 3 star bases but only two gyms. He wanted to show me a battle and opened with a lvl 54 toedscruel and said to me “this one doesnt attack very often but when it does it always wins!”

So spent the next 30 minutes explaining pokemon levels, which he hadn’t really noticed much, and showed him a few more gym locations that he slowly cleared.

Sent him home with a laminated 8x11 type effectiveness chart… felt like a good uncle lol.

I know we all like to gripe about how obtuse things like EVs/IVs are, but hell for a kiddo even type effectiveness is basically a black box. Makes me understand why they added the effectiveness comment to your moves once youve seen a mon before.

Cant wait till I get the chance to link trade him one of my six rayquazas so he can go brag to all his schoolyard friends about his pokemon master uncle.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
How many total participants were there?

I went on the vgc website to look into going to one but the only premier events I could find were all an hour+ away.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

The man called M posted:

Just curious, for everyone's first playthrough of Legends Arceus: Did you guys focus on catching everything before or after Catching Dialga and Palkia?

Catching/evolving everything is a shitload easier after beating the game and having all the ride pokemon.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Outbreak was sweet. Got a shiny foongus and shiny h-Voltorb within the 30 minute timer using the blueberry cafe shiny sandwich.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
It was a great chance to finally use my damp/skillswap/soak golduck that I made a month back so I was actually pretty disappointed when the one I caught didnt even have explode.

Soak was nice still though since grass/electric really blocks those useful status conditions, and I couldn’t false swipe because of course it spawned during a sandstorm. time to add safety goggles/trick to golduck as well.

Edit: similarly it was super fun the other day when I remembered I could ghost tera my breloom to prevent Glastrier from self KOing via thrash recoil.

SpaceCadetBob fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 23, 2024

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Is there any info on how much this event increases the shiny odds over the normal outbreak buffs?

Edit again: answered my own question. its 1/161 with shiny charm after 60+ ko’s, and 1/144 if you add a lvl 3 sandwich on top.

Definitely not worth using the herba imo. Might try to grab a few more foongus to see if I can get a lucky 0 speed IV.

SpaceCadetBob fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 23, 2024

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Anyone want a blue voltorb lol?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Herba should be saved for non-outbreak spawn isolation shiny hunting. I actively dislike using it on outbreaks because it can cause the same pokemon to spawn as not part of it which messes with my head on how that effects shiny odds. This may be to not enjoying picnic reseting as Id rather just ride around back and forth.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
So I think I got mad lucky.

I caught 5 shiny foongus today and somehow one of them ended up with both attack and speed IVs of 1. Throwing that into a teambuilder and it looks like a 1 and 0 produce identical stats at level 50? Did I basically get a perfect competitive amoongus? Fucker is even in a safari ball.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
You dont even need to change the clock at all. As long as you have internet time off, just open the clock settings, press a through all the clock fields without changing anything and then go back to the game.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
My take on the wire-line imagery is that it represents modern day Kalos, but we are going back in time to see how the city was originally created. The transition at 1:16 in the trailer of the entire city outlined in blue to the same layout on hand-drawn paper is where I'm getting that vibe from.

I don't remember poo poo about AZ as a character though so guess it's time to do some lore reading.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

SpaceCadetBob posted:

So I’d like to file a formal complaint.

My 5 year old is very upset that his personal favorite pokemon “black sky” (which is a mega charizard X from some random youtube animated music video) isn’t able to fly around the terrarium in synchro mode.

Pleading efforts to convince him that a shiny normal charizard is basically the same thing were promptly rejected by him going to his room and returning with his mega-char plushie to help explain in excruciating detail how the wings, belly, and fire all very different.

I was never “happy” about the loss of megas, but now its simply unacceptable. Someone please inform the boss of pokemon that megas need to be added into scarlet by end-of-day tomorrow. TIA

Good to see Game Freak keeping up with the thread and acting promptly on this matter.

Kiddo practically did a backflip when he saw the mega symbol at the end of the trailer.

You’re all welcome that the dreams of a 5 year old really do power the Pokemon world. (There’s no way in hell charmander isn’t the fire starter)

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

I was trying to run Blastoise again for the rewards yesterday but I didn't get my daily 7 star tera raid, maybe I was just missing it but scoured the map a few times and couldn't spot it. Tried joining randos but lol the raid finder interface is so bad, just kept timing out and refreshing for ten minutes until I gave up.

I just started playing pkmn Go again and its crazy how much easier it is to get into a raid in that game and thats even with it requiring the use of a third party app to do it at all.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

they’re cute. also Tera is the best battle-gimmick so far and I hope they contrive a reason to stick with it, at least for gen 5 remakes if not for gen 10

Agreed. Megas were awesome, but not having them for everyone was obviously suboptimal. Z-moves were boring as gently caress in comparison. I dug dynamax well enough even though the move pool was so limited.

Tera though, tera is the best thing to happen to pokemon since the last time the type chart was expanded.

Its also the most pro-kid concept ever. My kids are always blabbering on about how they wanted some mon to have three types. Well guess what kiddo, we can go change his tera type right now. ‘Dad-flex’

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Everyone wants Caly because everyone thinks shadow rider is gonna be busted in the next VGC regulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
The real question is who would come out on top between Nemona and Kieran.

(Its Nemona)