Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Immensely disappointed at the lack of clothing options in the game. Seeing the new options available was always a highlight of getting to a new city in the previous few gen games. Doesn't help that the default outfits are all mega ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Oh god the low framerate animations from all the students in class. This game absolutely needed another year. Unbelievably bad performance.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

Why the gently caress am I stuck wearing the school uniform for the entire game, I can change all my accessories but the school outfit is all I'm legally allowed to wear apparently.

It's so bad. I just want skirts back, man.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Bobulus posted:

I just reached the first town and so far haven't had any egregious bugs. The shadows are janky as all hell, but nothing like is shown in those clips. Playing on OG switch in handheld mode if it makes a difference, and I've been exiting the game between play sessions.

As someone who has been playing pokemon off and on since the OG gameboy, I'm so immune to bad graphics that I've been having a pretty fun time so far. Spent a couple hours doggedly ignoring the quest objectives and just wandering the hills, capturing pokemon and attempting to skyrim my way up hills. It does feel a bit beta-quality, though, so your miles may vary. I found plenty of red item drops and yellow TM drops, but what that purple drop (looks like a sword stuck in the ground?) that I couldn't reach because it was across a divide?

I did want to ask if there's a trick to "auto-battle"? When I google it, I see claims that I just need to throw out my lead-pokemon with ZR and it should run up to pokemon and win/lose quickly and without input from me. My experience has been that I either hit a pokemon dead-on (in which case I start a player-controlled battle), or if I just fire a pokeball at the landscape, my pokemon will follow me but won't attack wild pokemon at all. Do I need to unlock something first?

You need to press r (not zr) to send them out on their own

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Loving the new raids. They were by far the best part of sword and shield and I'm glad they not only brought them back but also improved them for this.

The game is great so far, which yeah makes the poor performance and bizarre feature removal hurt more. Although I've been playing handheld today and the performance issues are at least a little easier to swallow like this instead of docked and plugged in to my big computer monitor lol. Still not good though.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

It'd be nice if there was actual challenge to the lower level gyms and titans if you spent any time exploring and catching a bunch of stuff, but its whatever.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

Is this gen really lacking in fire types? It seems like if you don't go with Fuecoco, you only have one other new option?

There are quite a few fire types available

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The scarlet pants are atrociously bad

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Just watched my boyfriend go through a massive roller coaster of emotions as he ran into a shiny salandit, and then a second later realized that it was male.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Va would be ftw.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Stux posted:

anyone else thinking this is the best pokemon game ever

It's real good. Really wish I could get more outfits though

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The game is ftw, and if it ran better than dogshit and didn't have random stuff missing for seemingly no reason it would be up there for one of the best.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Tinkaton owns so much. Easily my favorite completely new pokemon this gen.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I think I'm turning against the new raid format compared to the old one. Getting time scammed by multi hit moves or status feels really really bad.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

BrainDance posted:

Also I'm playing Scarlet I did not know the one titan is a different, future form in Violet. Does that mean the plot to the Area Zero stuff in Violet is different, with the time machine being a time machine that goes forward instead of backwards?

Yup, just replace every instance of "past" with "future" and that's the main difference between the two versions' stories.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I have turned back around on raids after co-oping some 5 and 6 stars with my boyfriend. When you're actually coordinated and have good pokemon for the raid its actually pretty fun.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Chamale posted:

I loved the way Pokémon are part of this world, but clearly not the only thing. Children are really into it, but adults have day jobs.

And the ending is amazing. I wonder if it's the same conclusion in Scarlet, or something different.

Same thing in both versions, just switch around "future" and "past" depending on the version.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Poison is absolutely immune to being poisoned. You were probably fighting something with the corrosion ability, which allows them and steel types to be poisoned.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Not a fan of how there's no reliable way to obtain the ev lowering berries. Don't know why they couldn't have just put them in chancey supply after a certain point. Makes it very annoying to properly ev train a pokemon that I used in my party for the main game

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

Are there any new mechanics to ev train or do I do the old school method of just killing 255 of something that gives 1ev each?

The vitamins give 10 of each corresponding ev, and the feathers 1 of each, so you could just use 25 vitamins and 2 feathers if you wanted to do it really quick if you have the money.

Your other option is to use the power items to speed up ev training the normal way. They add 8 evs for the corresponding stat for every pokemon you ko.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

A cool scripted end fight after a fulfilling final boss ftw

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Haven't had anyone just spamming the legendary when it won't work, but I have seen a guy who brought a talonflame and just spammed brave bird, killing it with recoil every time it attacked. I assume he knew what he was doing, though.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I found the best way to actually complete more 6 stars is to try to keep idiots on the internet alive. For starters, reflect/light screen aren’t cleared by the stat reset thing the enemy does so absolutely do that and keep it up. Use your cheers to heal people. If you aren’t doing that you should be trying to stack -6 debuffs on the enemy for a one shot.

While the enemy has a shield they are immune to status moves but they aren’t immune to secondary effects on moves. Mystical fire + light screen vs special attacker mons makes things way easier.

It’s mostly the nasty physical threats that cause the largest amount of failures, and I’ve got a defensive Armorouge with light clay that has greatly increased my odds of success running:

Lava Plume
Psyshock
Reflect
Clear Smog

Just stay away from 6 star annihilape though. Unless it’s running a really bad Tera type AND you have a good team you will fail every time, regardless of what you bring to keep people alive. You’d need a crew of Hisuian Zoroark or something like that to make it more doable. Annihilape is a beast.

The rewards are very good from 6 stars though and you will end up with the ability patches, xp candy and enormous amounts of cash after a little bit to build competitive mons. There’s enough challenge to keep it interesting once you realize the actual challenge is don’t let your idiot teammates die.

Funny enough the thing that made me say that was (barely) clearing a 6 star annihilape. Only reason it worked out was that it had shadow claw instead of rage fist

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

A very good ghosty boy :3:

Is there a friendship checker in this game? And an ev and Iv checker? Where are they?

Friendship checker is in the city with the water gym, she's standing next to a marill

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Larryb posted:

Yeah, this is probably then best story in a Pokémon game since BW in my opinion.

On another note, when do you get to finally use your ride legendary in battle? After the Titan quest or during/after the final story?

After the final story

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

There’s probably some overwrought meta gaming reason to use recoil moves that the people who take games made solely to sell toys and hook further generations of grade schoolers into a trillion dollar multimedia franchise every few years way too seriously could expand on but yeah they all suck.

lol

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

So since we have a couple more hours of the Eevee event, what are good Tera types for the Eeveelutions? Here’s what I’m thinking

Jolteon - Ice, STAB BoltBeam
Flareon - Normal, can be burned with Flame Orb and use Guts-boosted STAB Facade
Vaporeon - Dragon? Idk on this one, but Dragon resists both of Water’s weaknesses
Espeon - Fairy resists 2/3 of Psychic’s weaknesses so thinking that, anything to keep Espeon in and annoying with Magic Bounce
Umbreon - Poison has good defensive synergy with Dark, plus it goes with Umbreon’s beta type
Leafeon - Fire, for Sun synergy
Glaceon - Water for perfect STAB neutral coverage with Freeze Dry
Sylveon - Fairy seems to be the best? Double STAB with Pixilate Hyper Voice sounds really obnoxious

Ground or fighting on sylveon seems like it'd be nice to deal with steel and/or poison types

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

:hai:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Is there any reason I need to do all these classes at the school or can I just ignore them?

You get some rewards for completing the midterm and final exams and advance the pseudo social links with some of the teachers which actually have pretty good rewards for completing, but nothing required to finish the game.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Just got an all 0 atk/all other 31 iv modest ditto from a 6 star raid. Genuinely floored at how perfect it is.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

HopperUK posted:

What did you name it?

Nothing yet...

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I was too young to read when I played gens 1 and 2. I got stuck at the snorelax in gen 1 not knowing how to wake it up, and I didn't understand how to progress at all in gen 2 beyond the second town. Still loved the games though lol

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Just easily duo'd a charizard with belly drum azumarill and a flutter mane, both fairy tera. Worked out weirdly easier than a lot of 6 stars

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Flopsy posted:

I hit the guy up with a team of three Azumarill and he just kept regenerating health non stop.

Yeah we did it twice and he didn't regen health either time. Dunno what was up with that.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Flopsy posted:

I think if you wreck his poo poo too fast the game goes "Whoa! we haven't even hit the shield phase yet! Better give him half his loving health back and start over!! :D"

Oh wait, is this the issue where play rough makes the boss health bar lie to you? Cause for some reason that attack really messes with it

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

SV's main game is the best pokemon has been in a very long time. Its post game is, not great. Wish there was a battle tower equivalent at least, but that doesn't mean that there's nothing to do in the game lol

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Pussy Quipped posted:

PSA :
Azumarill is bugged!!! Do not use it!!!
The Huge Power ability does not work correctly with whatever fuckery they have going on in Raids specifically. I tested it in about 5 different raids and can confirm that the jumping heath bar on charizard is actually just healing back half of whatever damage you do, cancelling out your bonus from Huge Power. Occasionally I’ve been able to one shot raid Pokémon before the code can realize what happened, but charizard has too much HP and will always heal back the difference.
Use Flutter Mane instead.

People keep saying this but I don't think that's what is going on. I actually ability capsuled my azumarill to thick fat, went into a 4* ground polteageist raid solo, and used liquidation. This was its HP bar:

Then I quit out of the raid and went back to huge power, went into the raid and did the exact same thing:

The hp bar did not bounce back at any point and it really was that low, killed it next turn with aqua jet just to be sure. Did the same thing with play rough to a 5* dark dragalge, but this time the HP bar started to lie and bounce around. I then went to thick fat and the hp bar was acting normal.

So it seems like the actual issue is some interaction between huge power and play rough not working properly together, while other moves seem to work fine.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The raid monsters have a move that turns off abilities and resets stat boosts and I legit think people are dumb and not reading that pop up and conflating poo poo because I've been carried by other players using BD Azumarill in a lot of 5-6 star raids.

I think there is legit a bug going on with play rough, at the very least, because weird things were happening with it even on turn 1, but people jumping to "huge power does not work" from that are really jumping to conclusions

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Flopsy posted:

The thing is turning into raid cancer. Huge power + Play rough is literally causing the raid bosses to regenerate health for for godsakes.

That's not what is really happening at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Okay then, it's a glitch that makes it look like that's exactly what's happening and it's happened to me four times in a row now.

I mean, it's just that this one move is functionally a good bit weaker than it should be, and that causes the hp bar at the top of the screen to visually glitch out (you can see the correct hp bar when you're choosing the target for your move). It isn't actually harmful towards the completion of the raid beyond being lower dps on anything you use play rough on than it should be.