Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
went into target today to try and buy the double pack (for the little statue bonus, please understand), and for some reason the employees in the electronics section weren't willing to break street date when bribed with a small snickers bar

alas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Hope the day 1 patch addresses some of the performance issues being shared online.

Unless those are people playing on emulators and not saying so, which wouldn't be the first time it happened but it's not like Pokemon games are exercises in optimization that squeeze every drop out of the system. They're not Monolith Soft after all.
sometimes I look at the bullshit monolith soft pulled off in xenoblade (all three of 'em) and i just have to stop and stare because what the gently caress. even with the funny loading tricks they used in xb2 where stuff would occasionally be big blobs before the textures actually loaded in, it still looks stupidly loving good.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

apparently while overworld shinies are a thing, they got rid of the very very useful "hey there's a shiny here!!" sound effect that made PLA so good for fun sparkledog farming

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Crawfish posted:

Ah, no, I just meant that i'm looking to borrow peoples starters so I can make my own eggs of them and then return said starters to people.
could people not just send eggs? when it hatches it gets your OT

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

All four of them you mean :eng101:

...I mean sure, XCX is an unfinished mess but the freedom of movement and exploration in that game is top tier for the series.

So most/everything from SwSh can go into SV via Home right? If so I might have to use it, briefly, to grab stuff like my perfect IV german Ditto I got from farming raids and swapping mons with foreign goons long ago.
XCX is also, notably, not on the switch! :eng101:
also from what I heard it runs terribly unless you specifically download the entire game onto the wii u's HDD

also you can't put stuff into SV yet, they don't add home support for new games until a couple months down the line.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

:yayclod:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

started up the game and goddamn paldean tauros looks rad as hell, im glad that i managed to keep myself mostly unspoiled for a lot of the new mons

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

initial thoughts after the first couple hours

-i don't know if it's because i have a physical copy and the problems are more prevalent on digital, or if it's because i'm playing in handheld mode, but i feel like a lot of the jank comments have been a little overblown? it seems to run mostly fine, lol
-koraidon is real, and he is my friend
-i wish that they copied the throwing mechanics from arceus, simply because sometimes the game is not targeting the same thing you are targeting. I shouldn't have to press ZL to aim at the pokemon in the center of the screen. I don't care if the skwovet directly behind me is technically closer, I was looking directly at the bounsweet in the tree.
-its very funny to me that they had to cut corners hard when it came to interior environments. When i entered a shop and got a repeating background over a textbox menu, I laughed. The only shop in the first city that has an interior is the salon, and only because they blatantly re-used the same room from SwSh. This is not a mark against the game because it's funny.
-speaking of cutting interiors, it's a little bit annoying that, in lieu of having random houses and apartments to barge into, they simply split the clothing shop into a dozen different buildings to make the city feel less empty. I should be able to buy shoes and socks from the same store.
-what the gently caress theres a flamingo pokemon

also this made me laugh, because it's so quintessentially pokemon:
https://i.imgur.com/thVf0T6.mp4

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 19, 2022

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

Video is dead-looks like the game's jank infected it.
oh yeah, twitter's hosed and random things are breaking

changed it to an imgur upload instead

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

im noticing that, unlike PLA, pokemon spawning is kind of weird? Like in that game, if something appeared on the map, you could basically walk a mile away and when you came back it would still be there.

I saw a mankey 5 feet away from me on top of a small incline. I couldn't get up the incline from that position, so I walked about 10 meters to the left. When I turned the camera back around, the mankey was replaced by a skiddo and a lechonk.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

just beat klawf, this game is pretty neat

also koraidon reminds me of toothless from httyd? very catlike dragon. he's a big sweetie. :kimchi:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

goddammit i have to work today and all i want to do is stay home playing pokemon. this sucks!!!!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

HopperUK posted:

I would really love them to patch in a little sparkle effect and sound for shinies. I don't know what the new pokemons' shinies look like and it makes me worry I'm missing them.
100% this
if you send a mon out to autobattle it wont KO shinies which is nice but not knowing one might be there worries me

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

im sure they'll patch in some kind of audio/visual cue for shinies in the future

(she said, naively)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

what's everyone's favorite new weird abilities? mine is the one the weird one-up-mushroom rock has, purifying salt. no status ailments AND super effective on ghosts for free? that rules

:allears:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheAbsol/status/1594067626384248833?s=19https://twitter.com/TheAbsol/status/1594067626384248833?s=19

the fact that they made some of the new shinies look like this, and then also didnt implement the overworld shiny sound, sure was a choice

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i found a tinkatuff in the wild and she is cool and my friend. sadly she's several levels above what will actually listen to me in fights. Thankfully, it's really goddamn easy to make eggs!!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

-attempt to join random tera raid
-game tells me i'll be temporarily banned if i disconnect in the middle from poor internet
-join anyways
-game crashes when starting the raid
-still banned

okay but you understand that's not my fault, right gamefreak? you get that, right?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

desperately wishing that there was some kind of indicator for which hairstyles you're allowed to wear hats with.

long bob: hat okay
medium curl: go gently caress yourself, no hat for you

these are nearly identical, what metric are you using to decide, game???

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Flopsy posted:

Finding a charcadet is an absolute motherfucker in this game. For presumably being everywhere they're extremely hard to find. Kinda had to give up my dreams of using a ceruledge because the one I caught has a modest nature. She's too well suited (heh) to being an armarouge.
wait, really?

hm. probably should've gone out of my way to catch more when i got a mass outbreak, instead of auto-battling the lot of them to death looking for a shiny

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

also a good chunk of the NPCs in this game like...aren't white.
the npc variety is great in this game, the NPCs all have differing skin tones and body types and what not. For all of gamefreak's faults, i appreciate the fact that there's a lot of overweight or buff women

also its a really small thing to praise them for but i like the fact that the trainers have color variety too now. Now there can be creepy hiker weirdos* of all races, its equality

*seriously why do they grin like that

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

also re: voice acting my opinion is that it should be BotW style, ie: everyone gets nondescript noises for regular NPC conversations, but cutscenes get actual VA. This is to prevent more Piers Moments

alternatively, no one talks except for Iono, who is given voice acting for every line, and also a recurring TV show or something.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Every animation going into in and out of battle was way way more sluggish in PLA. Not to mention the combat just worse overall. You're crazy
the animations for stuff may have been slower but PLA feels faster because the UI is more fluid. Having the ability to scroll through the rest of your team and using the trigger to throw out their pokeball feels faster than menu-ing it

also you could swap without losing your turn unless the opponent was much faster, which was nice, if OP

also also tying both attack stats and defense stats together meant when things like ancientpower procced, it didnt take as long (i love serene grace dunsparce, but i also hate it a little bit. please just say all stats raised please i am begging u)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Macaluso posted:

The auto battle thing is so funny. I just wander into an area that has a huge mob of Pokemon, and then this little duck baby just goes loving hog wild and murders EVERYTHING while you just stand there
https://twitter.com/Waffliesinyofac/status/1593806773353578497

the urge to murder cannot be contained

IronicDongz posted:

my only issue with terra is how long the animations are but that's the case for lots of stuff in pokemon really
my only issue with tera-type is that there's not a lot of reason to use it outside of gyms, and also if your pokemon has an unusual tera type then you probably aren't even getting extra STAB out of it, so why would I want to burn my ONE USE of it until the next poke-center? The only non-default one I've got with good synergy is a Lokix with Fighting-type.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

barclayed posted:

idk if there's a dedicated scarlet/violet thread but like. y'all be real with me. is the game worth getting rn? because i am hearing some poo poo about it, but at the same time, some friends of mine are having a good time and it makes me a little torn.
yes, but IMO it seems like physical copies have less glitchiness so get that instead of downloading. (also so you can trade it in or sell it if the glitches are a deal breaker) The game is janky but IMO the pros outweigh the cons.

also i've heard from one of my friends that playing on an original switch instead of one of the newer models makes the fans go just a little bit crazy, so that's something else to consider

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Lux Animus posted:

BTW in case anyone was wondering

:siren: SYNCHRONIZE NO LONGER AFFECTS ENCOUNTER NATURES :siren:
what the gently caress

last gen I finally decided to go ahead and breed a ralts of every nature, and now you're telling me they don't DO ANYTHING?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah, the only ways around it are blocked by mountains it seems.
on the one hand you should absolutely try exploring more

on the other hand,
https://twitter.com/ZullieTheWitch/status/1594328173654654987

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

I don’t necessarily think it’ll be great but Steel Avalugg seems a lot of fun
oh my god ice pokemon can actually be defensive

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i think the one really annoying visual bug I've experienced is that sometimes in clothing stores, your character model just doesn't load. Did you want to know what the socks looked like before buying them? gently caress you.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i just beat Mela and holy gently caress her walk cycle is incredible, 10/10 game of the year. I love this dumbass in her giant stompy boots

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

qnqnx posted:

"the Bethesda experience"
i and several others have been affectionately referring to (ko/mi)raidon's ability to jump backwards up mountains as "skyrim horsing", so this is accurate

but also jank is fun to say

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

HopperUK posted:

I looked up a suggested order to do things in because I was feeling overwhelmed and it's a bad week for my ADHD but like - I could easily ignore it and just try whatever. Also I cannot resist running across any given field towards a beam of light. I think I might be a moth.

e: This hat, this is a good hat. And I found the tights with the stars on them. That would never have worked when I was at school, our head teacher had a real bee in her bonnet about what colour tights we were wearing.

as a fellow adhd-haver, the moth urge is real

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Pyroi posted:

Yeah, I've played through almost the whole game and this is like, next to Legends Arceus, Emerald, and SuMo up in my favorite Pokemon games.
if this game had a few more of the arceus mechanics (ie: being able to aim pokeballs, being able to toss my entire team out for funny screencaps, slightly better UI, shiny sound effect) it would probably be my favorite polemon game? even with the lack of optimization

also i can never go back to random encounters, i need overworld pokemon for all games

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

also re: level curve - this game is much better than SwSh because the Titan pokemon and Star bosses have giant HP bars and are willing to punish you for having glass cannon pokemon. My team mvp has been naclistack because its very defensive and salt cure has come in clutch for some of the stronger bosses

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Here's a handy spoiler free little map of how the level scaling goes on the major objectives.

this should be in the OP, it seems very useful

for example i now know that i'm almost certainly going to roflstomp iono's team because my dudes are level 36. whoops.

Saagonsa posted:

Tinkaton owns so much. Easily my favorite completely new pokemon this gen.
tinkaton is real, and strong, and she is my friend

(i named mine Yippee!! after everyone's favorite small girl with giant hammer)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Got a timid Zorua with fairy tera type earlier, AKA one of my favorite pokemon (even with its terrible ability) with my favorite type

so of course it still doesn't actually learn any fairy type moves, not even through breeding. :negative:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

hi gamefreak i need you to feature iono in every game going foward, thanks

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

haha whoops i oneshot the steel titan with my skeledirge

guess I was supposed to do that one earlier!!!!!!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

also i liked the research task checklist in PLA but that is because i am
A: someone who enjoys the role playing aspect of role playing games, and going out in the wilderness to do repetitive tasks and writing it down reminded me heavily of doing lab work in college
B: very autistic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Barreft posted:

Concerning lack of Edelgard
edelgard isn't small, pink, excitable, or fluffy, so it wouldn't work. :colbert: