Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Is this the thread to talk about pokemon romhacks too or is there a separate thread for that?

The last actual pokemon game I played was base Moon but I've been watching a bunch of vanilla hardcore nuzlocke monotype challenge runs on youtube and that got me started on a regular monotype (I'm not crazy enough to do hardcore or nuzlocke rulesets) run in Radical Red. Started off with poison because it's my favourite type and just beat the first gym, along with catching every poison type I could get my hands on. Annoyingly I also found a 1% encounter rate Axew once but couldn't catch it because, well, not poison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

Which vanilla hardcore nuzlocke monotype challenge runs would you recommend?

I mostly just watch FlygonHG's vids on youtube, he's pretty knowledgable (or at least he is to my layman eyes) and I think he's decently entertaining without being obnoxious.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Diet Poison posted:

What up Poison Pal. If this were a better world I'd be able to buy the poison-type tracksuit from SwSh and wear it around and everyone would know I had the best taste in Pokemon.

e: My SA username has absolutely no connection to Poison being my favorite type, and I only just noticed this connection like right now lol.

Hell yeah, even Poison type Hatsune Miku rules.

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1704797678658347510?t=mqu6wrHgLU6xd9tCR4MJ7w&s=19

I'd say Bug and Steel are my second and third favourite types overall.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

Watched one video, he pronounces arcanine “ar-cah-nee-neh” 😬

At least he pronounced Magnemite the right way.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hachi machi now that's a Miku.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Endorph posted:

What types are left? Steel, Fighting, and Dragon?

Those 3 are the ones left yeah. I look forward to them blindsiding me because I thought Dark Miku was definitely going to be more emo goth.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I found Bugsy in Radical Red and I got him down to like 1% on his final pokemon before he knocked me out. Scizor is a pain in the rear end when you don't have fire moves!

Anyway Steel-type Miku. Not what I was expecting but very cool anyway.

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1706609619869581343

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Sabrina kicked my rear end a few times on my Radical Red Poison monotype run, especially when she pulled a Flame Orb Guts Ursaluna and Mega Gardevoir out of her hat along with a Trick Room setup. Luckily I figured out that Revavroom learned a 120 bp Steel move that I could use to 1-shot Gardevoir. Ursaluna though... That thing savaged 5 out of my 6 team members lol, ty Toxapex for holding the line.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

TY to whoever decided to give Drapion Wicked Blow in RadRed so that mine which has Sniper could just easily sweep all of Morty's scary Ghost team even though Dark-reducing berries.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm glad that Sheer Force Life Orb Nidoking still holds up after all these years because he just swept a random Rival battle that they added to RadRed that I wasn't prepared for at all.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Scuba Trooper posted:

Radical Red rules but I'm stuck on Lt. Surge :negative:

Other than using Defog to get rid of the electric terrain and pivoting using Ground types I can't really give much advice lol, all I remember is that for the first fight I came out with 5 fainted mons.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Beating a gym battle in a difficulty-focused romhack with only 4 mons used makes me feel pretty smart even though it's on easy mode

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Who would win, this bullshit Giovanni romhack team:

Or these 3 lads (+ Lance):

I do kinda wish this romhack had some kind of fight rematch feature, the gym leader after this gave me a lot more trouble and I beat them in a super sloppy way and I kinda want to see if I could do the fight cleaner without having to just replay the entire game again.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Lorak posted:

Theoretically, reloading from a savestate would allow you to rematch, but I know that's probably not what you're looking for.

Yeah I could do that but it would be nice if it was just a feature that I could use to redo any boss fight or whatever without having to keep a savestate somewhere in my pocket.

Future Video GamesUK posted:

Oo is 'Naja' just the pokemon name in another language or did you name her that? I always call female arboks 'Nagaina' after the cobra in the Jungle Book.

Nah I just named her after the genus that most cobras belong to, Naja. I was a biology nerd as a kid so it's an old habit if I can't think of anything better. I considering naming all my mons this run after various toxins because it's a Poison monotype challenge run but there's no handy wikipedia list of toxins that I could find annoyingly.

Arbok in RadRed is pretty ridiculous with their added /Dark type and Strong Jaw as a hidden ability, along with a small stat boost. Expert Belt + Strong Jaw STAB Crunch pastes anything weak to Dark really.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 7, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Procrastine posted:

What does "Soul Robbery" do?

quote:

Soul Robbery (New signature move for Mewtwo) - 100 BP, 5 PP, 100% acc Special Psychic-type move that has the Spectral Thief effect (steals target’s stat boosts before attacking)

Didn't end up actually doing anything that fight except for chunking half of Lance's Mega Salamence's HP.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I mean it's Giovanni, you could at least even give him some Poison types as a former lead of Team Rocket (the Nidos are still strong enough to be a threat while being thematic).

...Also why is that Scrafty Modest when it's running an all-physical set?

He does have his classic Nidoking the first two times you fight him but he decides to get a full bullshit team in Cerulean Cave.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 7, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

galagazombie posted:

He runs the Ground type gym he should have a ground type team.

You should see Koga's lineup.

They repurposed dynamax forms as megas if you're wondering.

That Sniper + Wicked Blow Drapion is pretty funny because I also use that combo on my own Drapion, so I just swapped to Battle Armour and hard-countered it. Takes a Drapion to beat a Drapion.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The really funny thing is that the romhack decides that Giovanni's been played out after 3 fights in the game center/Silph Co/Cerulean Cave so his gym is taken over by Clair from Johto of all people.

She gave me a lot more trouble than Gio, and she had 4 Dragon types on her team so she's more on-theme at the very least.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

RadRed also lets you change pokeballs without being racist.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I was around for XY but skipped ORAS because broke university student, which is a shame because Megas are probably my favourite generation gimmick and I would have liked to have messed around with them more in Hoenn.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

X/Y being 10 years old now also means that it's been 10 years since no new eeveelutions.

Wonder what the next one we get will be.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm in Tokyo ATM and stipped by the Pokemon Center in Shibuya and was sorely disappointed by the lack of Nidoking plushies, or any of the Nido line at all. I did manage to pick up one of Torterra though, my personal favourite 3rd stage starter.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

The one in Ikebukuro should be bigger, that's the one I went. There weren't the recent sitting plushies and some mons were missing ofc, but I nabbed myself a Chesnaught plushie, a Dragonite sitting, and a fluffy Mew for my bestie.

Good idea, I've got spare time tomorrow afternoon so I'll check it out.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Lux Anima posted:

I looked up the nidoran lines on the pokemoncenter site and (based on the order in the shop where SOLD OUT items are pushed to the back of their category, in chronological order to when they ran out) all their nido-plushies look like they have been sold out for a year+ since they were last given a plushie run

the only items I saw in stock for them were pins in sets of 3 for each gender-line, and these bookends:

(sorry if this is not reassuring news for finding merch of your favorite poisonous bunny-dinos while abroad!)

Yeah I did notice that they were sold out online but there's a small part of me hoping that the main physical store has a few set aside or something :v: Even if the Nidos aren't in stock it'll be cool to go check out the place anyway.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It is to my complete and utter devastation to report that the Ikebukuro shop did not have Nidoking or Garbodor (my second choice) plushes in stock, so I made do with Venasaur instead.

I did notice from some online searching that those two are in stock in the UK though, and my brother lives in London so I might just ask him to get them for me.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Future Video GamesUK posted:

Let me know if he can't do it for some reason!

Oh it's fine, I've got plenty of friends in London thanks to uni, but thanks for the offer! I'm probably going to wait until later in the year to even decide to get them anyway to plan out finances better, no rush.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I've been playing Radical Red before my current holiday (left it off at just before the E4) and I was having a lot of fun with a mono-Poison team. It's a rebalance/difficulty romhack with minimal story changes so it is rather difficult even on Easy Mode but there is a ton of documentation on every change in the romhack online which I found helps a lot. The rebalance pass breathes a ton of life into neglected mons like Arbok which has been having the time of her life on my team, and it's got a ton of QOL features as well like a time changer, dexnav etc etc. Also minimal story changes means minimal edgelord original story that plagues a lot of fangames.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

shimmy shimmy posted:

Just looked up Radical Red and it's even got Gen 9 pokemon? Awesome. Will figure out what kind of monotype run to do and give that a go, thanks!

Enjoy, there's a link to the main google drive that has all the documentation on their main Pokecommunity forums post that also includes a set of documents dedicated to monotype challenge runs and where you can pick up valid mons for your type.

You don't have to do a monotype run at all, mind, I just wanted to not be super overwhelmed with all the mon choices.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Treecko posted:

For the goon who couldn't find Nikoking merch. I have these in my possession.

I'll send you them for the cost of postage.

Oh hey, that's me! I'll send you an email but I do live in Asia so I dunno how much postage will cost in the end. Hopefully it's reasonable.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I usually have my starter around the whole game. We're buddies, I mean, c'mon.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

DisposableHero posted:

Just got back from a trip to Japan. Among the many things we did was go to the Pokemon Center DX in Tokyo. I figured sharing our haul here was relevant. I was pleased to see plusses of my two favorite pokemon (Nidoking and Metagross. The backpack is an eevee design and came in a gashapon.

drat, gratz on managing to find a Nidoking plush! I already posted about my Nidoking hunting woes in the thread before, I wish I had known about Pokemon Center DX when I was there.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Back on Radical Red, got to the Indigo Plateau. I look forward to seeing what stupid romhack bullshit gets pulled out for the E4.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I did it, I cleared Pokemon Radical Red with a mono-poison team, whoo! My emulator screenshot function crapped out during the post-E4 celebrations so this screenshot will have to do instead. They were 88 during the E4 + champion fights, I bumped them up to 100 to prove that the E4 level cap is gone lol

TY Sneasler for soloing 4.5 of the champion's mons (the .5 was her taking Pheromosa down to focus sash, I let Pheromosa live because it just U-Turned and those were free Swords Dance turns).

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Which monotype run should I do in a romhack now that I've completed a mono Poison run, Bug, Ice or Normal? I'm leaning towards Bug the most but the other two types are also pretty cool IMO (har har).

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Talonflame and Toucannon made it into my E4 teams for both their debut games, they ruled.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hooplah posted:

doing a search of the forums pulls up almost no one talking about it, so here's a PSA i guess

https://pokerogue.net is the ideal pokemon game imo. pure battling and growing a team organically without any of the story/exploration BS. servers have been pretty unstable the last couple days due to the game blowing up, but the solo dev (!) has been working on it. it's so great. i'm fully addicted and love building a stable of different mons to use as starters. looks like every single mon is in, as are megas, g-max, and various forms. the gen 3-style sprite work is impressive as well.

here's my gen 1 page of starter unlocks so far. starter team building is based on the point system seen here. you can also of course catch mons during the game to add to your current team or replace others

this game is a seriously impressive achievement, especially for a lone dev.

How viable is a monotype challenge run? That's my favourite type (harhar) of gimmick run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Tried a few runs of Pokerogue and honestly I don't think I like the pokemon battle system enough to really get into it lol

Nice to see that monotype challenge support is coming soon at least, might just wait until then.