Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Thats a lot of dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Now that's a good dog

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Eiba posted:

There was some discussion at the end of the last thread about the lack of Battle Tower and the effects on the post game- but isn't there some sort of randomized school tournament thing? That sounds like it'd be as good or better than the really half assed Battle Towers we've been getting lately. Is it just not that good somehow?

I'm fine with the game being over when it's over, but it feels bad when there are cool post-game Pokemon but nothing to do with them!

Sounds like it's similar to the champion cup rematches in gen VIII or the champion challenges in Gen VII but those are still a step or 2 below the competitive level endgame content that the Battle Tower (and previously the Battle Frontier as a whole) provides. So for people wanting content at that level, looks like there isn't a whole lot there for them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

oddium posted:

too good for this timeline. may the mew truck hit me and mandela me into a better world

You'll get your moment one day Cherubi. :(

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah but it also gets another new move that revives a fainted Pokemon so like can we really complain about this little guy?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Flopsy posted:

Is the game actually playable? Because reading about everyone's experience with it sounds like the thing barely functions. :(

It’s definitely playable but performance is very bad and very prevalent.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The game could surprise me later but that one scene at homeroom is probably the worst the game's ever looked.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Honestly i'm liking the game a lot even with the performance issues and an open world.

Its interesting to see a Pokemon game that's got a sense of ambition. Like, y'know compared to other Pokemon games.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

initial thoughts after the first couple hours

-i don't know if it's because i have a physical copy and the problems are more prevalent on digital, or if it's because i'm playing in handheld mode, but i feel like a lot of the jank comments have been a little overblown? it seems to run mostly fine, lol

I started playing in handheld after the first couple of hours and weirdly I do think it runs better. Camera will still ocassionaly clip into the ground during battles, but generally its been solid

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

PLaying a bit of showdown and boy this meta is going to be loving weird.

And that poison rock flower pokemon is goign to be a loving nightmare god I hate its ability so much.

Its design is sick though, so I welcome it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

https://twitter.com/TheAbsol/status/1594067626384248833?s=19https://twitter.com/TheAbsol/status/1594067626384248833?s=19

the fact that they made some of the new shinies look like this, and then also didnt implement the overworld shiny sound, sure was a choice

To be fair they also made a lot of the old shinies look like that as well

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CelestialScribe posted:

I'm a casual pokemon fan. I liked Sword. Is this worth buying? Some pretty lovely tiktok vids around.

Game is fun but performance can be quite bad pretty often. If you think that'll bother you then give it a miss, it's a pretty good Pokemon game and i'd say better than Sword personally but not a must buy or anything.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Eimi posted:

After a full day to play the game I think I'm a lot more down on it than most people seem to be. The characters are good, def a big step up from SwSh. I don't really like the routes or general design, almost all that I've managed to explore have been relatively straightforward with no traversal challenges beyond "come back when you have x upgrade". Gym leaders don't even have other trainers, just some kind of stupid trial? I also don't like that apparently just buying them is the only way to get sandwich ingredients? That feels like a system I won't engage with much at all, I wish exploring got you them. I feel overleveled and that the only way to have anything close to a decent experience will be to look up the "intended" route to still have a game capable of pushing back on me. Other trainers not agroing you is a hell of a choice too, especially when there are already barely any and I've met only three who had more than one pokemon on their team. The battle mechanics feel great this gen, it's just they stripped away all the battles with anything but wild pokemon. :psyduck:

Maybe its because i'm coming off Legends and its 10 Trainer battles over the whole game but I feel like there's a healthy amount of trainers each zone (though I do agree it sucks that they usually only have 1 or 2 mons). Like, you're not going to run into all of them by just following the path because they're placed all around each big zone but every time I get to a new Pokecenter I usually have a look around and I think there is a good amount of folks about to battle.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They just tell you 3 mons that can spawn in the general area pretty sure.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Every trainer since like Gen 2 (I don't think it was in Gen 1 at least) are programmed to go for super effectiver moves if they have them i'm pretty sure.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hammerite posted:

Wasn't the gym leader AI in gen 1 programmed to try to use moves of a super effective type, but it didn't make a distinction between attacks and status moves? Pretty sure I remember that.

Oh yeah that's right. Just remembered it was more rudimentary

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mesadoram posted:

Did they like bump up the shiny rate? I've caught 2 so far.

Its the same but there's just a lot more spawns

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

I dunno man does it top code so sloppy it created an entire glitch Pokemon?

If it did, it would probably easily be the best Pokemon game ever

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

HD DAD posted:

There should be a SV Remaster, but on the same system lmao

A classic Pokemon move

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The stats screen will have little arrows showing what your nature is increasing/lowering.

If there are no arrows then your mon has a neutral nature that doesn't increase or lower any stats.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I always play with 90% new mons but that’s more fun this game than some previous ones.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Glimmora is so sick.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The open world isn’t very engaging but that’s the case for most open worlds so I am not surprised. However, each area does have a good collection of new mons so far which is the most important thing for Pokémon routes. So this Poke World is still fairly cool imo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I simply did not do all the research tasks.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Stux posted:

the problem isnt doing them all. theyre unfun at any amount. the game is nothing but literal busywork with little else. perfect for AAA brained morons but not for me. i read book.s

I can’t remember the last time I played a AAA game so I resent this.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It’s def way more finished than a beta lol.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

She just wants to be fightin

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

She's only got feelings for fightin

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rageaholic posted:

So I just beat the Elite 4 and the Champion. Am I crazy or didn't they used to be more challenging? I was mostly steamrolling all their Pokémon with my Skeledirge and Tatsugiri, but in older games, didn't they use potions and have items equipped and such? I didn't see any of that in this one :confused:

The Elite 4 isn't the end of the game this time so they're not the final challenge this go around and not as big a threat.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Ok thread poll time.

If a Legendary Pokémon is the first Pokémon you encounter in a given area, is it against the spirit of a Nuzlocke run to use them?

Sounds fair game to me

E: Especially if it's a roamer or something that you're not guaranteed to encounter first. But hell Nuzlocke rules are malleable, you do what feels game to you really.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Saagonsa posted:

A cool scripted end fight after a fulfilling final boss ftw

That's what rpgs are all about!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They just love their dogs

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Its probably just that they made the boxes accessible everywhere and then didn't feel like it was that important to put the time in to restricting it for E4

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

big black turnout posted:

Is there any reason to do the tera raids online vs single player?

The npc trainers are not very good and largely useless in higher tier raids

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kaliedoscope posted:

Hey, so just in case you want to do the Battle Stadium, apparently there's currently an issue where the same RNG seed is being used for every battle. https://twitter.com/Sibuna_Switch/status/1596768465095983104
Otherwise, this shouldn't affect any other aspect of the game.

Feeling for those who don't play Showdown

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Exploits are badass actually

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm like 70% certain that Raifort has murdered someone.

She's the best

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nessa posted:

16 hours? What the heck? When I was at that point I had nearly 40 hours clocked. I just got to the end credits at 76 hours. I beat Shield in 35. This is the longest Pokémon game I’ve ever played.

There's a bunch of genuinely optional areas in this game and its great.

A lot look samey but its very nice to have things to investigate in between your big checkpoints. Don't think there was any optional routes in SwSh and only a couple areas in SM so glad there's a lot here.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You can get the quartet earlier than the postgame, gotta work for it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nemona's deal of being an incredible prodigy looking to finally get a real competition is more sports anime than most of SwSh and I think its very good