Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Was gonna maybe hold off for a bit, but I was already out to get my Omicron booster and decided "gently caress it" and grabbed a physical copy. Went with Scarlet to spite all the idiot morons dissing my good friend Koraidon. Can confirm there are a lot of idiot morons out there, the case in the store had ~3x as many Scarlets left as there were Violets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I also got Flamigo'd. Turns out having two STAB moves that early with single stage stats is very rude.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

LOL you can just, like, walk up to the League immediately. They even let you try to get inside before politely turning you back around.

Also there's two trainers on the path to get there. One is a kid who's basically on your level, but the other one is definitely meant for when you're actually supposed to challenge the League.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Flamigo is also a balloon animal. :colbert:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

oh my god ice pokemon can actually be defensive

Yeah, drat, I hadn't even considered that. Avalugg is one of my faves, too.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Zodack posted:

Just caught two shinies back to back - saw a Tarantoula and nabbed it, jumped off a cliff, immediately saw a Magikarp. Not complaining too much as red Gyarados is a classic but this is my third shiny Magikarp across HGSS, LA, and now SV.

Also Spidops is a weird looking dude

Just evolved my Tarountula and remembered seeing this post, the reason he looks like that is because he's almost certainly based on one of these: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinopis

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Wile E. Toyota posted:

I found two items in a cave and couldn't pick them up. Saved and reset the game, and they're gone. I wonder if they went into my inventory or if they're just gone forever. Anyone figured that out?

Edit: I ran away from the cave and came back and they respawned... still can't pick them up. :mad:

Is this in the mines north of Levincia? If so, I think I know which cave you're talking about. Try dealing with the titan in the area if you haven't already and then look again, that worked for me.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

What happens to regular eevees when they evolve, anyway? Does their tera type change too?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

TIL you have to actually hit the overworld tera encounters with a move past the HP threshold to deterastilize them, if you sit there racking up passive damage they just faint instead.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

It's really weird to see people assigning sexualities to literal children characters. Like, Nemona probably thinks consumating a marraige means having a pokemon battle against each other.

Okay, bad example, she'll probably stay that way into adulthood.

Queer kids exist hth

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

So uh, it looks like the update might have respawned all of the roaming gimmighouls you've already found.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Augus posted:

gimmighouls were always able to respawn, don’t know what exactly triggers it tho

Clocks posted:

The gimmighouls respawn regardless. Something like a 10% or 50% or something chance daily for the chests to respawn.

I'm talking about the little guys though, not the chests. Unless those have always been able to respawn too?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

BrainDance posted:

How does Pokemon canon work when there are plot differences between the two versions that matter?

It hasn't come up in a while, but gens 6 and 7 established that there is canonically a multiverse, so presumably all versions are simultaneously true.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

BrainDance posted:

Do they take it as far as saying "even within the same generation there are different timelines?"

Like I knew there is a mega timeline and others, and that there is a multiverse thing going on, but I didn't think it went as far as saying the two versions in one gen are both their own timeline too.

But I guess that would have to be the case for this gen to work, a timeline/universe where Arven has a dead dad, and one with a dead mom.

Though, this was probably true in other gens too, I didn't play them all and I don't remember the plot differences between sun and moon at all. Things like different legendaries, you can explain that happening in the same universe, but not really this.

I don't know if there's anything concrete, but iirc in ORAS's postgame the leader of the team you're allied with does have a line that plays with the idea of the other version existing as a separate universe.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Kyrosiris posted:

I kinda want to build a hazard spam/stall/be a horrible goose team for ranked now that I've hit Master Ball with my Torkoal and Sylveon Yell and Explode Tour.

Problem is my brain gets about as far as "well, obviously Glimmora + Garganacl, but then what" and stalls (heh) out. :/

No idea if it'd actually be any good or just a dumb gimmick, or if it even really fits in on a stall team, but if you just want to be the biggest rear end in a top hat might I suggest a Grafaiai to gently caress around with items? It's got access to switcheroo, thief, knock off, and fling, can run either a prankster or unburden set depending on what you want to do with the other moveslots, and since it's a poison type you can give it black sludge.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

It's just because they aren't native to Paldea, not a balance thing.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Vivillon is from gen 6. It is very good though, yes.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

big black turnout posted:

Can somebody hop in a group for a second so I can evolve this cursed dolphin

17VW7F

On my way, I have a dolphin I need to evolve too.

E: looks like I was too slow

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 18, 2022

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Did the gym leader rematches and tournament today and got in under the wire to catch my Charizard. :toot:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

JohnCompany posted:

Azumarill with Huge Power v. Thick Fat immediately comes to mind. Tauros with Intimidate over Anger Point, Lopunny with Cute Charm over Klutz are also clearly on the list. Bronzong with Levitate over Heatproof is strictly speaking better, as immunity beats 1/2 damage, but it's more meta-dependant than always the right call.

Ehhh, in singles sure, but there's some niche strats you can do with anger point in doubles.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Thought experiment: There are two new moves introduced into the game that function exactly like Stealth Rock except the damage type is different. A team can only have one Stealth hazard up at once; setting up another will replace the original. What two types would lead to the most interesting metagame?

Ground and fire imo. Ground gets you the strong neutral coverage so there's fewer things that can just not give a poo poo about hazards, and fire throws fire types a bone, since they're weak to both of the others, while also letting Flygon retain its niche as a hazard clearer that resists or is immune to all of them.

Ground would be weird flavorwise, though, since spikes already exists.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Between the lack of a dedicated daycare facility and the ease of access to all the items for changing things you'd ordinarily need breeding for, I'm genuinely curious if they're trying to test the waters for removing breeding entirely someday. There's still several unresolved questions about stuff like starter access, Masuda method, etc if that ever happens though.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Calico Heart posted:

So on Garganacl is it better to run body press or heavy slam? If I got the names wrong basically the one that deals damage based on weight difference or the one that deals damage based on defence? Defence is more static damage, but Garganacl I imagine is a very heavy boy

Heavy slam is pretty niche in general, since it's so dependent on what Pokemon your opponent is using. Steel isn't great for coverage unless you want to hit fairies, and most steel types would rather run a more consistent move like iron head (which Garganacl also gets). I'd definitely go for body press, especially if you're running a more support/stall oriented set.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Zuzie posted:

https://twitter.com/Pokemon_cojp/status/1614774437684846592

Next 7 star raid will be a Poison Tera Greninja

Excited to wall this with Clodsire as long as it's not running something rude like extrasensory and an ice move. One or the other is probably still workable, but both gets dicey.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Filthy Haiku posted:

I've gotten in pretty late on this gen but both VGC and singles look pretty weird. I'm pleased tera didn't get banned though. I got my monkey paw wish of buffs for Galade and Murkrow at least.

What's the deal with Murkrow, anyway? I've seen it mentioned a few times that it has a niche in competitive this gen but haven't looked into it further. I assume it's prankster related?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

How the gently caress do you make that even vaguely threatening? I assume raids don't play nice with two turn moves and thus fly isn't on the table, so just toss a grass type at the mouse and call it a day. Or hell, use Gastrodon/Clodsire, again.

Figure we'll probably see double team again for the annoyance factor, at least.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Jumped in to get my Pikachu, then afterwards I finally caught Wo-Chien after several previous attempts ended in me accidentally killing it, and poking at some more raids netted a Palafin(!!!) and an Armarouge(tbf this was more about helping out any Violet-havers that might have joined). A good play session.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

If you're looking for a support pick against Decidueye, might I recommend Ampharos? Mono-electric, so it resists flying and isn't weak to any of the other moves, has cotton guard to boost its own defense and reflect to help the team, then afterwards you can fish for paralysis with discharge. Leaf blade crits are probably a problem, but otherwise you're golden.

Just won on my first attempt with me, two Miraidons (this didn't hurt TBF), and an NPC Sylveon because I wasn't paying attention and missed that the fourth person bailed.

Also if you're crazy enough to coordinate a full raiding party, you could try running a full team of mons with plus/minus and using a strategy centered around magnetic flux (boosts def/sp. def by one stage for all Pokemon with those abilities). Other than the sheep, your options there are Toxtricity and Dedenne.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

OTOH, I just had a raid where I somehow ended up controlling one of the other player's Pokemon, and God only knows what they saw. We did not win, as you might imagine.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Soooo Clodsire/Toxapex for tanking, again? I guess? What is Samurott's coverage even like?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Wild charge only has the advantage against water/steel and water/fighting, and even then flare blitz is still better against the former. So you'd be running it for... literally just Paldean Tauros I think, once you restrict yourself to what's actually in gen 9. Granted I dunno what other options H-Arcanine really has in its movepool, so maybe that plus the better accuracy still makes it worthwhile?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Got my Chesnaught. :toot: Went with an old classic: a SubPunch Breloom set. Didn't end up working quite as well as I would've liked; the rest of the raid was three Koraidons, none of whom were interested in setting up defense cheers, so I never got to a point where I could consistently get a substitute up and keep it up. I did get to deliver a focus punch for the finishing blow, though, so that was fun.

Might drop into a couple more raids and see if I can execute the gameplan a bit better.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I was a little worried going in, but it turns out a full squad of Armarouges is surprisingly effective in the Delphox raid as long as you're not, like, all running full support builds. I think I was the only one that brought light screen, and two of them not only had calm mind for setup, but even went to the trouble of finding/making tera steel Armarouges for stronger flash cannons.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Lux Anima posted:

Armarouge is even more busted defensively, and can learn Mystic Fire, the screens, Acid Spray, AND Clear Smog

Lava Plume to fish for burns through the shield, too.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Punching moves have always been kind of wonky when it comes to Pokemon that gain or lose hands on evolution. See also: Gastly and the elemental punches.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

That's not "unusable in single player," though. Nobody's going to come to your house and take a hammer to your switch if you use Rapidash's (barely) weaker attacking stat.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Hammerite posted:

they wouldn't add new members of a group of legendaries from a previous gen. ... until Crown Tundra, when they did

I mean, Regigigas has been a thing for a while now. Lugia too maybe, but I'm not sure if the games actually have any lore connecting it to the birds or if that's anime only.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Basically every type not named electric interacts with a solid half of the type chart, so yeah, it's not really that hard for it happen by pure coincidence. The phenomenon you are observing is literally just that the type chart exists.

E: Momentarily forgot that grass resists electric, so that does put it a bit higher, though still below the average. I think there's also a couple other types that tie it for fewest number of interactions, at six. The point stands, though.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 20, 2024

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

galagazombie posted:

I just started a new SV save file after moving all my mons to home. Only to realize too late that the Miraidon in my boxes was the evil one and you have to switch good Miraidon to battle mode to make him an actual transferable Pokemon. So I have just murdered my good boy and am feeling bummed about it. And am short my second Miraidon. On that note. Do critical catches work on the basis of "How many species/individuals you own in your boxes" or on "How many times you have personally thrown a ball successfully on this individual save file"? It is fun though to move everything from home right back to SV as soon as you get the Pokedex and immediately get handed every apricorn ball and a billion pokedollars worth of Stardust.

If it makes you feel any better, you can't box or trade your good Raidon anyway, even in battle mode, for what I would hope are obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Wait, you didn't put Dragapult in with the amphibians? It's a Diplocaulus.