Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
In all serious honesty, they're not given enough time to make these games as it is; adding a need for Voice Acting on top of that would only exacerbate the issue, I feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
On the Hidden Power note, my only lament is that I set up a team several gens ago that, while not on top-tier competitive levels, was at least decently setup and EV-trained.

Hidden Power dying means my Jolteon loses its ice coverage :(

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

HopperUK posted:

Well that post reminded me what the date is so I don't forget to wish my sister happy birthday, so thank gently caress for that

...is my sister Mewtwo? Who am I?!

If you are the older sibling, you are Mewonepointfive. If you are the younger sibling, you are Mewthree.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Vinylshadow posted:

Cassidy and Hootch

"IT'S BUUUUUUUTCH!"

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Did not bother to do dupe-less. There are enough "gun to my head" choices on there as it is. Left Sc/Vi line entirely blank as I have not played it, or Arceus (otherwise I might have allowed myself to choose a few of those, but without having had the chance? Nah. Not allowed to pick those.) Hence why the "Favorite Paradox" box is also empty. Pikachu box is empty for the same reason QuickbreathFinisher up there had a whole bunch of pikaclones on his "least favorites" chart.

As for Favorite Spinda/Vivillon/Alcremie... :effort:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
For the record, I still hate the forced exp share for one simple reason.

I want to keep my pokemon at the same, or similar level as much as possible. As such, I always arrange my party so the lowest level 'mon is in front, and the highest level in the back. The lowest level does the fighting until he's no longer the lowest level (or is guaranteed to lose the current fight horribly), at which point he switches appropriately.

The problem with this, is that different species level up at different speeds. So with forced EXP share, all my approach accomplishes is the slowest-levelling pokemon do all the fighting while the faster levellers coast by on shared exp and potentially never see combat at all. And don't call that a hypothetical, I have had it happen before.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I am currently amusing myself by doing a run where my entire team are Muk fusions. An entire team of horrible monstrosities like this:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Scuba Trooper posted:

Is fusion pc-only? Could I pop this on a hacked 2DS?

I believe Infinite Fusion is an RPG-maker game, not a romhack.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Well, it's another Pokemon Essentials game and not a romhack, but I'll throw out a plug for Pokemon Insurgence, as well. Story is a bit Edge, but not overly so in my opinion, scratching the itch for a darker pokemon game without going too horribly over the top. It also has a bunch of custom megas and Regional forms in the form of "Delta" Pokemon, with new types/abilities/sprites/movesets, but the same base stats.

I've always heard good things about Unbound, which IS a Romhack, though I remember getting annoyed with the plot to the point of quitting, though I've also heard that the story's been heavily reworked since I tried it. No idea if the bit that got me to stop got changed or not. It's another fairly edgy one, if I remember right.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
And we're starting to see why, once it started getting attention, Infinite Fusion has so quickly become so popular. There are over 176,000 different fusion possibilities, and while they don't all have custom sprites, it's lots of fun to experiment, find ones that have creative ones, and share your favorites.

Charizard/Arbok looks pretty fantastic.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

HootTheOwl posted:

Poison.
Magic is a sickness of the mind, and mages should be hunted.

Go back to Thedas =\

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Back in my first playthrough of BDSP, it came down to my Garchomp versus hers. I literally only won via the power of friendship, as I could only two shot her with Dragon Claw, and she was faster... and opened with a Swords Dance. My own Garchomp proceeded to dodge her own attack next turn, which would have undoubtedly oneshot me, to claim the twoshot and the victory.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I am currently playing Violet for the first time.

Knowing the game is open world and absolutely nothing is stopping you from doing stuff in any order you want except for transportation options via Miraidon and the fact that if you try to go after a lategame thing too early you will get your poo poo kicked in, I have elected to look up levels of the main things to figure out where I should be going next, and am currently preparing to take on Gym #6 (and have beaten 3 each of the Titans and Team Star Bases).

I find it mildly odd that there doesn't seem to be a good way to get to the town with the 6th gym without passing by the front door of the 8th gym (again, going by logic of increasing levels).

I've finally reached a point in the game where I actually have to start *working* to keep up with the level curve instead of actively avoiding fighting wild pokemon because despite having a rotating team of 18 team member, I have been consistently risking overlevelling due to my compulsive exploring and catching of new stuff (or at least new stuff I can't easily evolve something in my boxes to acquire). Also I've added a 19th team member because heck with it, I wanna try the new Pseudolegend. I have named my Ice dragon "Vorugal".

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The problem is, the route from Medali that leads up the Montenevera first involves circling way around to the north, whereas there are two routes east out of Medali; the aforementioned route to that circles to the north... or the one that leads up the closer path, which takes you up the same route as going from Zapapico that leads to Glaceado Gym first.

One of the two roads out of Medali is labelled as leading up the mountain. The other is simply labelled as West Province Area Three. One guess which is which.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Tampa Bae posted:

It could've been solved easily by just having level ranges on the areas/events. TPC isn't Nintendo proper and there were a lot of things I think they just dropped the ball on because unlike Nintendo they didn't have the ability to just take their time and release it when it was ready

This right here. My main thing is, unless the levels scale somehow, I hate doing things "out of order". If I hadn't looked up the levels of the various gyms/titans/bases, and just gone for whichever I felt like, I'd be stumbling into stuff 10/20 levels higher than me, or end up doing a gym I felt a bit underlevelled for, grind a bit, then head for the next gym only to see "oops, this one's now 10 levels below me, guess I should have gone here first WHAT A SHAME THE GAME HAS NO INDICATION OF THAT."

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Finally, with Home compatible with Gen 9, my full living shinydex is complete again.

I had a living dex (not shinydex, just regular), but then I found myself thoroughly uninterested for a while and never played Legends Arceus, so my hopes of maintaining my Living Dex going forward is looking slim.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Scholtz posted:

My man you are fighting a Fuecoco, stop throwing!!!

My thoughts exactly. My man Brassius just turned a rock type into a grass type while fighting a fire type. The hell man, at least pretend to be competent.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
In a game like this, you either have some sort of scaling, or you don't make it full-on open-world. No scaling in an open world does nothing but allow you to do stuff in the wrong order, resulting in some stuff being insultingly low-level by the time you find it, or whoops, you wandered into an area with stuff 30 levels above you, SHOULDA LOOKED IT UP, STUPID.

I also wish to reiterate my hatred for forced experience share. Keep it in the games by all means, but give me an option to turn it the gently caress off.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Rolo posted:

You guys talk about romhacks here? I'm playing Unbound and enjoying it.

At some point, I plan to go back and give Unbound a second chance. Unfortunately, when I played it before what I'm told was an extensive plot re-write, it had quite possibly the worst case of Cardboard Cutout syndrome I've ever seen.

I go to a place to stop the bad guys from doing a thing. A battle occurs. I win the battle. It changes nothing. They pull out their leader's Pokemon, a pokemon I have beaten in a battle before, and my character just stands there and watches as they kill two innocent people, steal the thing I was explicitly there to stop them from stealing, then watch as they threaten to kill *me*, until I am saved by someone else's pokemon popping out of their Pokeball unbidden.

Reminder, this happened after I won the battle.

I have no idea if this scene still occurs, or if it's been changed, or what. But that was where I had to put the game down and stop.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I know that one guy on youtube made Crystal Legacy which came out recently.

Compared to a lot of romhacks, it's very basic, but by design. Tries to fix as many failings of Crystal as it can, and make more pokemon available and viable while still feeling like Crystal.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
MFW I'm playing Crystal Legacy and find a full-odds Shiny Magikarp... in the Lake of Rage.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I think I tried Unbound, but it has the issue of trying to be more "mature" aka a bit edgelordly and also lost interest. IIRC it was also meant to be difficult, it just had easier modes (and that's pretty much all fangames with easy modes).

Man no wonder I like Gaia so much, 0 edge, the plot is basically a Pokemon plot on a good day, good theming around antiquity, not too difficult but some bite. I wish more hacks took some notes from it instead of "and here's my DEEP plot with everyone treating Arceus as God, cussing and competitive sets for every trainer in the game"

See, I appreciate a certain amount of darker themes; Insurgence is genuinely one of my favorite Pokemon Fangames I've ever played.

But I couldn't get into Unbound. It's been rewritten a fair bit since I tried it, but back then, the problem I had with it was that it made the mistake of not having any respect for the player's power or victories in moving the plot forward. The scene where I won a battle only for the bad guy to just say "doesn't matter" and take the thing they were here to take anyway, and then threaten me while I do nothing but wait for someone else's pokemon to save me... well, let's just say that was my breaking point.

I have no idea if that scene still exists, or if it's been rewritten to be less awful, but... well, I just don't know if I'm interested in giving it a second shot.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

On Insurgence... on one hand it has a shitton of new Megas and all the Deltas which are something I'd really like... but I did watch someone play it and the plot is just... dumb. "I am the Chaotic Good character" is something no in-game character should say. Also a difficult game albeit one with easy mode. And I'd have to mod the Wild Battle Music because the whooshing wind the author decided to add makes my ears bleed.

Oh, it is absolutely not immune to weird, cringey moments. I just appreciate having a villain that genuinely feels actually dangerous in a way not reserved for Saturday Morning Cartoons. If you get in these peoples' way or simply happen to be standing too close to one of their plans, they will hurt you. If you try to stop them, or simply register on their radar as a threat, they will kill you.

And your character is ballsy enough to do just that... and win.

I do appreciate the difficulty on normal mode though. It's a good in-between for "standard" difficulty, and the "Hope you like building Competitive-Level Teams for In-game content" style of difficulty. It will throw nasty strategies and gimmicks at you, and challenge you to overcome them. The tools are there to overcome them. It doesn't go overboard, but there are real threats. The second gym throws a Mega at you, before you have Mega Evolution yourself... but for a mercy, it's not a particularly fantastic Mega. It's still a threat, but it's not like a Mega Gengar or something.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Jay Rust posted:

I finished Brilliant Diamond, the elite 4 + champ were surprisingly difficult!! Took me three tries!! And I'm supposed to be pretty good at pokemon!! It's gotta be the hardest elite 4 of the series, right?

Overall i had an ok time, the Grand Underground was a nice addition if only for the added biodiversity, though i'm pretty sick of the digging minigame by now.

Two things I disliked: random encounters (most of my money went to Repels). Trainers with six magikarps or six geodudes with sturdy.

Two things I liked: very little dialogue compared to modern Pokemons. "Completing" the pokedex only requires seeing pokemon.

I'm gonna check out the postgame, I thought that diamond/pearl didn't have a battle tower and that's why people were angry with BDSP, but looks like there totally is a battle tower

They definitely are the hardest Elite 4 of the series, especially in rematches. They actually gave them competitive IVs and EV spreads, and good movesets.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, I just wanna say, I made a file for my 7 year old nephew in Violet, and have, when the opportunity arises, let him play for a bit and have fun with it. He hasn't touched most of the story stuff, but he's taken on a gym, a Star Base, and a Titan. Otherwise he's mostly just been exploring and catching stuff, and he's been having a lot of fun with it.

Right now, the two strongest pokemon he's been keeping on his team are a Klawf and a Seviper - he's temporarily benched his Quaxwell to the box in favor of training a Paldean Wooper, since he wants to go after the Electric Gym. I'm not poking him about doing stuff in "the right order", I'm just warning him if he tries to go after stuff that's way above his current levels.

It's been a fun time. He particularly enjoys finding Pokemon from his favorite cards in the game. The most recent such acquisition was a Wattrel - which he leapt on once he realized it evolves into Kilowattrel, which is the card he was thinking of.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
All I will say is the Wishiwashi level is awful because it triggers a Thalassophobia in me that I don't otherwise have from anything else.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I won't lie, as someone who took forever to even bother finishing the story of Violet, and hasn't bothered doing the DLCs yet, it's always a little disappointing to remember that these Special Raid Events are meant to be Special Challenges, and not just "distribution via raid", and thus I can't just take my in-game mons at level 100 and step in. Preparing Dedicated Raid Mons is a Barrier to Entry, not just a way to make it easier/faster.

Like, the Venusaur yesterday. Quick look at moves showed that it had nothing super-effective against an Ice Type and it was Terra'd into a Ground type, so a strong Ice-Type would theoretically have done okay, except it proceeds to take the Baxcalibur I used in-game that has been jumped to 100 with exp candies down to about a third HP with a single neutral Sludge Bomb, meaning if I take it in there, I'm going to die every other turn and ruin it for everybody.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 29, 2024

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Larryb posted:

I’d say cat due to the ears and the overall look of its evolved forms

Sylveon especially. That thing is straight up meowing in New Snap.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
It's worth noting that if you try to do all the different main plots at the same time, in ascending order of levels like previous main games would have you do, you end up zigzagging back and forth all the gently caress over the continent. Nothing is in any sort of "Logical next stop" location compared to anything that comes before it. It's one of the reasons I hope the "Open world" thing goes away. Either that or just have everything scale somehow so you don't stumble into a level 50 zone at level 12, or find a gym only to realize you're 30 levels above the Leader's ace.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

wizard2 posted:

my friend Meganium is NOT a dud

"You can't kill Mr. Stake! We have tried EVERYTHING!" ~ Team Four Star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
All I'm going to say about Geeta is that, by having "Champion" be a rank that is attainable by multiple people, and the final test to achieve it is beating Geeta, and she herself claims that she is incapable of holding back in a fight...

She is, by definition, the weakest champion in Paldea.