Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

For what it's worth Sword shield's combat has slow as molasses "Pikachu attacked!" *Show attack* "It's super effective!" *health bar drops* in separate steps, whereas what I've seen of ScarletViolet that stuff seems to happen much more quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It's a shame that by all accounts this is a really charming and fun pokemon game that's close to what people wanted following Arceus, but it's nearly as broken as Cyberpunk. Nintendo does such a good job with QA on its first party titles, it's baffling they don't keep a tighter leash on Gamefreak.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

DemoneeHo posted:

I think being on a tight leash to Nintendo/The Pokemon Company is part of the issue. Gamefreak is given no time to develop these games so they can release them with a new anime and merchandise.

I'm not sure how they operate behind the scenes, so i don't know if this problem can be fixed with nintendo sending some programmers over to GF to help make the game. Its not like they have a spare Iwata lying around to fix the coding.

Yeah. And sadly, having spent a lot of time struggling to convince my company to invest in programs that are already succeeding, it's probably a terrible uphill battle against the finance people. "These games sell like crazy. If we double our payroll, we can probably sell... the same amount."

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Procrastine posted:

During the leaks any mention of it was met with "must be bad emulation and missing the day 1 patch"

In other news, people have begun modding already and the first mod released is to remove the Ed Sheeran credits song lol

Yea I saw videos with shadows just disappearing and reappearing at random and assumed it was just emulator jank because it was so egregious

The ongoing Pokemon/Ed Sheeran collaboration continues to baffle me. He's done multiple Pokemon Go events and now this. Whose marketing people contacted who?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Larryb posted:

I don’t mind the song personally but yeah, that is sort of weird. Maybe he’s a fan of the series or something

HopperUK posted:

Maybe he actually likes pokemon. I thought the song was cute.

This radar is lying to me about Bounsweet dammit.

Looked into this and apparently he's a fan and has a Squirtle tattoo, lol. That's neat.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

What version does everyone have and do you like your legendary ride? I want to buy this on eShop to download for tonight but I still can't decide, lol. They both look cool.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Wile E. Toyota posted:

The second battle with Nemona just made me realize that I vastly prefer the cinematic battles with all the fun camera angles over the usual free camera. In most battles, the view is boring and static, your only option to swivel around at one distance. That's obviously fine for wild mons, but I kinda wish all trainer battles had it. I didn't notice a lot of cute details in my critters' animations until now. Would be a cool setting to enable.

I agree, but I think this is because of how they did battles in this, where you fight right on the field instead of teleporting into a pocket dimension to battle. So they can't preprogram camera movements into the "arena" unless it's a plot fight where they put you in an exact spot. I guess they could program camera angles in for every trainer since they're in set locations, but Gamefreak gonna cut corners.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I love how fast the battles are in this, you get into battle quickly with no transition, attacks are snappy, instead of three separate events to show you "Quaxly used Water Gun!" "It's super effective!" *shows health bar going down* with pauses in between, that stuff happens much more fluidly. After playing Sword this summer it's an incredible comparison.

It's a shame the game runs so poorly. On handheld the resolution was giving me a headache. And the textures/terrain models are just embarrassing. The characters and pokemon actually look very nice up close with good texture work, I'm assuming the game loads in higher res models for cutscenes.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

When I'm looking at stats and hit L to "Switch graph view"... What am I looking at? It shows this yellow web and the numbers disappear, from Sword I vaguely remember this has something to do with EV's but I don't know how to interpret this.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

The alternate graph view broadly tells you what EVs your Pokemon’s attained; in other words, the gains your Pokemon’s gotten from battling.

Thanks... So the dark yellow shape is the EVs, What is the larger transparent yellow shape? Is that my total of base stats + ev?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The thing that's most irking me about moment-to-moment play has nothing to do with the tech issues, it's that the camera controls have no vertical dead zone so it's almost impossible to rotate left to right without also swinging it up or down drunkenly and then having to correct it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Wile E. Toyota posted:

The second battle with Nemona just made me realize that I vastly prefer the cinematic battles with all the fun camera angles over the usual free camera. In most battles, the view is boring and static, your only option to swivel around at one distance. That's obviously fine for wild mons, but I kinda wish all trainer battles had it. I didn't notice a lot of cute details in my critters' animations until now. Would be a cool setting to enable.

I just did this too, and it seems like they also load in higher quality models, maybe using the dialogue scene time to transition and/or by removing all the background characters (the pokecenter behind Nemona is empty during the battle).

It might just be because all the early pokemon are so tiny but the wild Pokemon fights really don't show off their models, they're so tiny and buried in the jagged low-res grass. I also feel like this game's lighting and color palette doesn't do them any favors, Pokemon that were vibrant in SwordShield look washed out here.

Game still rules. Just going up the road to the city was like an ideal combination of Arceus' open zones and a more traditional battle system.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Level scaling is a plague upon gaming and I can't believe there are people complaining that in an open world there are tangible differences between areas and everything isn't just sanded down to a frictionless gruel, especially in a series that's already incredibly easy to brute force through.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I think the issue is that the game is by default pretty easy, and there's no way to toggle that. If the gaps in levels between areas was more heightened, that'd be one thing. It's a little disappointing to steam roll a gym not because you were grinding but just because you explored the whole area before challenging.

Best battle I've had so far was against the GREAT TUSK with my pack of mid-20's levels.

Oh yeah that part I agree with entirely. Doing any kind of training or mass-catching means you just yawn and gyms fall over. It's be nice if they gave even the illusion of challenge; it would help if at least gym leaders fielded a full team of 6 (haven't gotten to a gym in this yet but in SwordShield I'm pretty sure you get near the end of the game before that happens)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

After playing 100 hours of Xenoblade 3 it's really nice to not have to wait for characters to say their lines with pauses in between, but it's also weird when a character is like cupping their hands to yell and there's not even a sound. They should do banjo kazooie buh-duh-duh voices.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Blaziken386 posted:

https://twitter.com/Waffliesinyofac/status/1593806773353578497

the urge to murder cannot be contained

my only issue with tera-type is that there's not a lot of reason to use it outside of gyms, and also if your pokemon has an unusual tera type then you probably aren't even getting extra STAB out of it, so why would I want to burn my ONE USE of it until the next poke-center? The only non-default one I've got with good synergy is a Lokix with Fighting-type.

It seems exclusively designed around pvp where you are going to end up in sticky type matchup situations regularly. In single player yeah why wouldn't you just use a Pokemon with the right type to begin with.

Of course they could make things interesting by making gyms have deep and varied teams so you have to bring a good comp against them.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

HopperUK posted:

So my dog is getting old and her health is starting to fail and what I'm saying is, I wasn't emotionally prepared for all this. It's that drat Stoutland all over again.

I'm sorry, that's a tough situation to be in. At least you gave her a long and happy life :unsmith:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm enjoying this game a lot, but I don't think it's an exaggeration to say some of these textures are N64 quality. Please help the Gamefreak workers, there's no way they could have put out a game that looks AND runs like this unless they're under insane time restraints.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'll go a step further and say that if they're all going to be menus they should just let you buy everything in one shop instead of having like five different storefronts in a row that each sell 3 ingredients. At least just limit it to one shop of each type per city.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bobulus posted:

I'm curious about the scarlet/violet distribution and if there are any official numbers. Anecdotally, all my friends independently picked scarlet, and I was watching a twitch streamer play the game and he commented that when he picked up a physical copy in the store, he went Violet because they had like 30 copies of that and none of Scarlet.

I picked Violet after a ton of deliberation, but I feel occasional buyer's remorse running around the world because it seems like it would be neat to be running around on a dinosaur's back instead of riding a jet motorcycle. I do like how Miraidon seems to have some personality instead of being a robot, he feels like a chill lizard/snake to Koraidon's goofy dino dragon. I definitely prefer the violet fashion though.

Anecdotally I've done a few Tera raids and there's always at least two Scarlet players and often three, with myself the only Violet.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Macaluso posted:

I got out of the school (which was absolute torture) but then did a titan and a star base and there was too much talking during those too

There's so much talking in the school and all of it amounts to "go out and do stuff idk"

I actually think the writing is quite good and entertaining. I just don't need them to explain to me thirty times the concept of Having an Adventure.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Blaziken386 posted:

if this game had a few more of the arceus mechanics (ie: being able to aim pokeballs, being able to toss my entire team out for funny screencaps, slightly better UI, shiny sound effect) it would probably be my favorite polemon game? even with the lack of optimization

also i can never go back to random encounters, i need overworld pokemon for all games

I don't know why they don't let you do this! It's such a nice easy addition to the "catch em all" conceit; take fun screenshots of your favorite pokemon and post them on social media. The rickety engine supports this since they all hop out when you make a picnic, you just can't position them or not have the picnic table in the way.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lhet posted:

Been loving this, the world is open enough to get way outside my level and it's just fun to ride around on Koraidon.

Though it seems pretty disappointing that we're back in "fight pokemon 1 at a time to train EVs" territory now. It seems really odd given how easy it is to fix everything else about a pokemon now...

Aaagh I haven't thought about EV's yet but that sucks if there aren't poke jobs or anything.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I mean, there's a huge difference between being able to find someone to trade you version exclusives/swap trade evolves and having to start your game over twice, trading your starter pokemon to another account and then getting them back, and THEN trading version exclusives/trade evolves. In reality the sheer number of pokemon in this game means it was going to involve some pretty sweaty poop socking regardless but red/blue completion was a pretty chill, if relatively time intensive.

This reminds me that I accidentally erased my brother's Red save way back in the day because I didn't understand that starting a new game and saving-before-trading would erase the only save on the cart, so I wiped his entire game to get extra starters from his cart to mine. He didn't know why it happened and I couldn't bring myself to tell him. I should tell him now.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

The sports chanting really doesn't work when there's like...three people watching the fight

At the same time, turning the music off lets you hear the various sound effects, like the sarcastic "woooow" when a Pokemon faints, or the awkward clapping from the few NPCs watching the fight, and the tinkly Tera effects on Flying-types when they flap their wings

It also doesn't feel like a sports chant as much as the SwSh one did. It's too melodic.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Kicking over random pokemon in Let's Go mode (I think?) is a good addition. Even though it seems like you get a small part of the experience you would from battling.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Are there any vendors who will pay extra like the dude in Stow on Side in SwSh, or should I just sell stardust as I get it?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Hammerite posted:

it doesn't matter if you lose a pokemon battle in the video game. It's not an indelible mark on your save file or an affront to your gaming honour. you don't have to reset the game and pretend it never happened

Do you have to beat them or does the game move on? I know you have to beat gym leaders but idk what the Rivals do.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I love how the battle music flows into the field music. It's especially cool in the area on the east near the grass gym (with Taurus running around). A nice Spanish flair going on there.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This game is buggy and needed another 6+ months of work, but you can see what the clear intent is through it and it is fantastic. The ambient Pokemon wandering about are pretty much "What kids in the 90's wanted: The Game". A lot of the bugs are stuff that can be readily fixed too, and I'd be hoping there'll be something in the next few weeks to just stomp out the quick-and-easy bugs that're broken triggers (eg; the Elite 4 music, or the camera zone bug I ran into).

Even just the camera getting out of bounds shouldn't be too hard to stop, depending on how their engine works. (The very quick-and-dirty way, as they clearly have physics tools with the Olive Rolling, is to just make the camera a physical object with a collider and rigidbody so it bops into the ground/wall and stops).

...I also saw a Voltorb just blow itself up for no reason. :stonk:

Yeah, this would be the universally beloved game of everyone's dreams if it came out as an early GameCube title

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It's fantastic for Catching Em All. I will say the initial impression of the battles as snappy has revealed itself to be a little more volatile, which drags down the pure fun a bit; they can really drag when lots of status effects are firing off. It seems like the pace of everything in-battle slows down when you're in a busier/laggier area, although that could just be an illusion.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

goferchan posted:

I know you can search for specific abilities in your boxes but you can't do a search for pokémon with Hidden Abilities in general, right? Done a lot of Tera Raids and I'm sure I've picked up some somewhere but I don't even know them all off the top of my head to recognize them.

edit: Oh, it's Anticipation for Eevee? Yeah I have a bunch of those. For breeding HAs, if one of the parents has any HA there's a chance to hatch a child with one right?

I think only the female pokemon can pass it down, unless its a male and a ditto. Could be wrong though.

And yeah I wish there was some ingame mark for a Hidden Ability vs regular, so I don't have to check a wiki every time I catch a raid Pokemon.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I think this has been my favorite Pokémon story of any of the games. I like that all of the important characters are given little moments. It was a good move to familiarize the player with all of the Elite 4 members prior to taking them on so it didn't feel like you were just beating up randos. It was especially fun if you had taken Hassel's art classes. He's just so proud of you!

Same. I'm still pretty early, but the part after the second Titan with Arvel's sick dog really got to me.

It helps that, for the most part after the intro you can explore and catch pokémon at your own pace, and only have to do plot cutscenes when you sit down and say "Okay, let's do one of the plot events." It's not like you reach a town and want to just keep catching pokémon but have to sit through a lot of dialogue first. You can keep going and even queue up a few fast travel points near the campaign events for whenever you feel like tackling them.

Nothing makes me dislike video game dialogue than when it forces me to listen while I really want to get back to playing, and so far S/V has let me avoid that problem pretty well.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Is there anything you can't change about end game pokémon, and/or can you re-grind the Gimmighoul tokens? Worried about wasting my one evolve.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Echophonic posted:

Man, that item duping is so easy. No way that survives the first patch.

Better get your duping in before 2024.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I like him too. Mine is in second stage (Quaxwell), I was using him in a fight and my fiance looked up and said "Oh he's doing third position from ballet"

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

HopperUK posted:

I assumed it was talking about people saying Nemona has a thing for the PC, which I admit isn't a vibe I got at all. She has no thoughts but battling.

Kids have crushes though. Brock especially, although in anime terms I guess he was a middle aged man

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lux Animus posted:

also, let me just fuckin switch my pokemon to a new ball, cripes. it's not like a Beast ball monster making an egg that hatches into a Beast ball containing a baby makes sense either

If they want it to have some kind of cost or effort I would add a system that's like, "Omega Tera raids" where you "release" the Pokemon and fight a tough version of it to catch in a new ball. They could say you're releasing it in this special tera crystal cave so it can't escape or fly away, but the tradeoff is it gets really strong and you have to recapture it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I mean in terms of just stuff to do I think the Starfall and Titan stuff is more interesting than just a bunch of contextless battles, even if it happens alongside the gym stuff instead of after. SwSh had nothing besides Hop running offscreen to fight Dynamax that you never see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Does catching the pokemon in a Tera raid increase the rewards? I'm running around knocking out raids and for the smaller ones the catch animation takes as long as the rest of it so skipping those would be good