Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

blame me when the next gen is even worse graphically because I just read all this and bought this game anyway and pokeymans isn't even my thing

but wow I have seen better textures on N64

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hammer Bro. posted:

Doin' a Nuzlocke run and I already lost my third catch 'cause I apparently don't know Wooper's type well enough.

That and it had Poison Point.

It's definitely interesting being able to see the guys on the map, both for some control over who to maybe try to catch but also for avoiding battles.

I do like the idea of no-faint autobattle if I were interested in gaining levels, but right now my priority is the opposite.

the brown regional Wooper's type is different in this gen, there's an npc in one of the towns that'll trade you one for a Wooper Classic

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

All the fire types have seemed rare as hens teeth in Scarlet, I'm two gyms deep and have still only found three. If you see one catch that sucker.

Keep an eye out for Numel, it doesn't look like a fire mon but it's a lifesaver early game

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 20, 2022

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Monkey's paw option: Generation X uses the BOTW engine and borrows a few Zelda writers to populate the world with dense lengthy sidequest chains but all pokemon you capture are subject to the item decay mechanic

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm choosing to interpret this games terrain graphics as the first tentative step in retro-gaming nostalgia exiting the 2D cradle and catching up with the N64 / PSX era.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Eimi posted:

So as I finish up the game, I think to me what it represents overall is that it is so close to being amazing but it doesn't come together in the end, at least for me.

The story is easily the games strongest point, with a surprisingly great cast and some fun moments. A massive step up to SwSh and while I prefer SuMo, this is still a pokemon game with a good story.

I do not find the overworld good. It feels pretty boring to explore because there is no friction. Wild pokemon are not a challenge, even the aggressive ones are rarely quick enough to touch you, and you can still just escape the battle. Pokemon trying to hit you, the trainer, is the missing piece that made Arceus's overworld so good. There's no trial of combat, since trainers don't agro, and there's no puzzles beyond have the proper titan upgrade.

The battles are the most frustrating to me, because it comes so close to being incredible. There are some really fun enemy move sets, clever use of Tera types in gyms, and some real potential to be hard, handicapped by the small number of mons the enemy as. Most only have one. If they're fun they might have three. It's the games biggest weakness.

The level curve was also a bad issue, way too easy to get overleveled and if you want a decent route you have to look it up because I don't know how you'd stumble on it. Not having Arceus's damage formula so that lower level mons were still a threat was also a shame.

I have to give huge, huge props to whoever decided the electric gym leader's last 'mon should have levitate that because that almost wiped my L30+ party

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Also drat I miss Galerian Weezing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Eimi posted:

Yeah that was genius and really set the stage that the rest of the game proceeded to never truly live up to again.

literally slipped through on a lucky run of it hitting my 9 HP last survivor Mudbray with Confuse Ray over and over while I revived everything else