Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Now that spoilers are done I can say that it's incredibly win that there's an Ultra Fishbunjin 5000 pokemon

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

MorningMoon posted:

you could buy it digital, download it right loving now and play it in like 4 hours.

I'm on the fence right now, leaning towards not buying it. I got Sonic and God of War, and there's gonna be some wacky sales in a couple days so I could get AI Somnium Files 2, Elden Ring and like finally DQ11 for the same price as pokemon...

DQ11 is almost definitely better than this game, you should get it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zore posted:

They also created the most insane move ever this gen

Population Bomb, 30 base power Multi-Hit move that hits between 1-10 times. And there's a held item that skews it to the upper end. And the Pokemon who gets it has Technician and a version of Dragon Dance that clears entry hazards.

I did some calculations on it and if you high-roll you can just delete literally anything that doesn't have an immunity or 4x resist.

I think that move works like Triple Axel, not Rock Blast, in that it just attacks until it misses (or caps out). So Wide Lens would be the item you'd want, not Loaded Dice

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
many people played on emulator which is apparently more stable than the console release, which, lol.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
also many of these issues were commented on but the mantra of "wait for the day 1 patch" was repeated a lot, so understandably people didn't really spend a lot of time dwelling on it since presumably it was going to be addressed

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
they should have put Polkamon in the credits

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
man just playing this game feels awful. i was ready for the Big bugs like characters t-posing in cutscenes or stretching like Luffy. that stuff makes me laugh. or like that gif of the trainer whose arm bends the wrong way during the photo mode as a flying mon just phases through her dome, basically anything that makes a funny gif is cool by me!

but the actual moment-to-moment stuff really drags the experience down and is sapping my desire to keep playing. framerate stuff bothers me not because it looks bad, but because it makes your character feel less responsive and worse to control. similarly it feels like every action has a huge delay and pause - throwing a pokemon takes forever, starting battles isn't nearly as snappy as it needs to be (and was in previous games, including PLA), walking around towns feels like really awful. the environments are super sparse in terms of both foliage and npcs. the mons look better than previous 3D entries but any time the camera pans around the world and an npc goes "look at the beautiful landscapes you can explore!!" it feels like parody.

just interacting with the games basic features like moving around the world or navigating menus just doesn't have the snap to it that rpgs need to not feel glacial. idk. i'm just really disappointed. ill keep with it because i want to hear all the great music (though itd be nice if trailers had more than one [1] pokemon so i could hear the battle theme without deliberately sandbagging) and learn all the new mons and moves, but this is by far the least fun ive had just piloting a character in an rpg in some time.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's a pokemon game so every mon is fine for beating the campaign, but Lechonk is pretty mediocre (as you'd expect from a route 1 normal) and Fidough's evolution has a great competitive ability but does no damage so I feel like it'd be sorta boring to use though the story

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
where do you get evo stones (specifically thunder stones)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mesadoram posted:

Anyone else have any difficulties finding people for a raids? They never seem to fill out for me. I am hard wired so I don't think connection is my issue.

i've been playing offline but this was an issue for me (and apparently others) in SwSh, even with good connections as you mentioned. i assume this uses identical infrastructure.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Blaziken386 posted:

what's everyone's favorite new weird abilities? mine is the one the weird one-up-mushroom rock has, purifying salt. no status ailments AND super effective on ghosts for free? that rules

:allears:

It gives a ghost resist I think, not SE damage

And that's also probably my favorite as well, or the poison/rock's ability.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
is there an easy way to see who the composers for each track is? every listing i've seen so far just lists all of them on every song.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Wow the first gym has the dumbest gimmick I've ever seen. It's like they heard me talking poo poo about SwSh's first gym and doubled down.

Ive got bad news

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mesadoram posted:

Purple Doggy :unsmith:

A paralyzed Mabosstiff, very lore appropriate

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

what's up with the effective/supereffective being visible in the attack menu? It seems to turn on/off at random.

It's there if you're fighting a mon you've previously encountered

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zore posted:

The new way to pass egg moves onto Pokemon already in your party is fantastic. Gave my Cyclizar Power Whip and it took all of 3 seconds.

God I hope they keep this going forward.

How does this work exactly

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
what level are the E4's mons

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
People would probably want plot spoilers, yes. I don't think anyone cares about new mon or mechanic spoilers at this point.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

woke kaczynski posted:

Lmao I have fifteen million classes to make up after I remembered the school existed after the seventh gym

also lmao at the director asking me what "cheugy" meant

Yeah same I'll probably just not bother because they're really boring

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
torkoal generally wants to invest in special attack if it's going offensive so probably not no.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kirios posted:

It's exactly why Maushold is in my main party while going through the game. Combined with Loaded Dice and it's a legitimately devastating 'mon.

fun fact: population bomb isn't impacted by Loaded Dice - it isn't a multihit move like Rock Blast or Fury Swipes, it's an "attack until you miss or hit X times" move like Triple Axel. if you want an item that increases the likelihood of hitting more times you want a Wide Lens

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kirios posted:

It actually does impact it, but in a...weird way. It's better than no item.

https://www.reddit.com/r/stunfisk/comments/yzascv/psa_the_mechanics_of_the_item_loaded_dice/

You are correct that Wide Lens is better, but when going through the game you use Bullet Seed a ton too.

i stand corrected, thanks

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

man nurse posted:

Can you ever get dang clothes besides your school uniform ones?

you can get different shoes, gloves, hats, glasses, socks (???), but your shirt+pants are always one of the four seasonal outfits.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I was wondering why I was seeing the odd Perrserker. I should breed one up to help out dudes running with them. Even 2X of them seems like it should work decently.

The appeal of the 4x strat is that it one-shots the enemy, meaning it bypasses the various barriers/haze effects/etc raid mons have. While 2x probably results in two strong mons it probably doesn't result in a one-shot so it's probably not really much better than just bringing another strong mon.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

History Comes Inside! posted:

There’s probably some overwrought meta gaming reason to use recoil moves that the people who take games made solely to sell toys and hook further generations of grade schoolers into a trillion dollar multimedia franchise every few years way too seriously could expand on but yeah they all suck.

They do lots of damage

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Whats the purpose behind zeroing an iv? Total newbie to neckbeardy pokemon stuff here but im also thinking about getting into the comp side of it

you want to zero out Attack on any mon that isn't using a physical attack because it reduces the damage of enemy Foul Plays (Dark-type attack that deals damage based off the target's attack stat) and also self-damage from Confusion.

in specific instances there's reasons to zero out Speed stats due to Trick Room (move that makes the slower pokemon act first for the next 4 turns).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
yeah i only recommend bothering if you're playing on Showdown since it's just a matter of turning a slider to 0. until you're actually like, making a team you intend on using a bunch in high level play it's not worth it on cart probably.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
garganacl is truly the people's champ

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1725907633

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

oddium posted:

hate to see my friends play singles

we all have our crosses to bear

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The jarring thing about pokemon's cutscene is that they're animated like there is voice acting, but then there isn't any

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
UU just dropped, excellent tier if you love ostriches

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I do, but once i've finally finished the game I want to figure out how to run it in OU.

it's still very good in OU, i'm honestly shocked it dropped since it gets used pretty commonly

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Funky Valentine posted:

You know they called Anabel the Salon Maiden but no one offered to do my hair in the Battle Tower.

They know you can't improve on perfection

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mega64 posted:

I am sorry, but I have a confession to make.

I have started participating in competitive 6v6 battles on Pokemon Showdown.

I recognize that makes me a tryhard Pokemon player and am willing to accept the corresponding consequences.

What mons u like

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
worth noting that there are only two tiers currently (and UU only popped up yesterday). well i guess there's also Ubers but the only non-OU mons in ubers are uh, the two cover legendaries, palafin, flutter mane, iron bundle, and maybe something else?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
but yeah if you go into the team builder it asks what tier you want to build for and then only shows mons legal in that tier unless you specifically search for something (ie. searching for Flutter Mane in OU will show it but specifically say "Illegal" next to it)

Also check out this incredibly cursed replay. i dont think ive ever seen so many misses in so few turns lol

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9uu-1729351079-1kgh65g52vh6oekntk0htxu4roe17aqpw

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Forretress' talents dont really lend themselves to the VGC format. it excels at everything entry hazard-related, being able to set any of the main ones and it has access to both Rapid Spin and Volt Switch to keep momentum after clearing/setting hazards, but VGC really doesn't care about hazards in the slightest. I'm not really sure what you'd use it for on a doubles team. I guess it has access to dual screens, that's an option.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lux Animus posted:

Anyone else find themselves becoming more emotionally detached when Arven's all like, "Mabosstiff has been champing at the bit to fight with your pokemon all this time!"

Like, your dog is actually an rear end in a top hat, sorry. My pokemon are beyond reproach and you cannot beat them, ever

no because it's shounen and wanting to throw down is the greatest proclamation of friendship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Does anyone know why some trainers have black text boxes with a yellow outline compared to the usual white boxes? Are they harder? Give out more money?

they're harder, yes. people call them "route aces" though I don't know where that term actually comes from. each route has one